2003 Nissan Maxima

Based on 562 Ratings for the 2000 - 2003 models.

very reliable car

By on Thursday, August 18, 2011

"bought new, intended to trade in in 5/6 years. car is still running like new, no reason to trade in for same car and spend $20-25,000. Nissan builds to good of a car. my 300zx is 22 years old and still runs great."

I love this car!!!

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"I now have 65000 on my Maxima and I'm ready for my next one. My family loves this car for its roommy interior, hugh trunk, neat features and I love it for its PERFORMANCE. This is a sports car hiding inside the skin of a family car. It's truly a DRIVER's CAR. The performance is unbelieveable for a 5 passenger 4 door family sedan. Even the mileage is good at 20 around town and 26-28 on the highway. The sport suspension is a little stiff for a family car, but I think that's what gives is such good performance in the mountains and flat out on the highway. And flat out is no problem for the Maxima. So, if you like a softer ride Maxima's not for you, but if you like to dirve (hard) and get there in a hurry, this ride's for you. On a recent trip to Las Vegas I had it up and running without any problems or concerns. It was like it was glued to the road. We got there after 9 hours of hard driving and it wasn't even breathing hard. My only regret was buying the 100,000 mile extended warrany. It was a complete waste of money. I've never used it. In fact, the only time I ever raised the hood was to do the regular service. The only problem I've had is a quirky passenger door window that was never bad enough to fix. The only suggestion I can make to Nissan is to improve the comfort level of the seats. and the screwey power seat controls. But this minor compared to the overall car. I love it and will buy another one as soon as I sell this one."

Easy to Repair, So Much Fun to Drive

By on Monday, September 16, 2013

Pros: "body, interior, fun to drive, keeps its value"

Cons: "turn radius, premium gas"

Beach shot

"I owned my 2003 Maxima GLE for three years, rode it every day to school and work. It was the best car I've driven in my life. Smooth as silk, with enough power to beat a Mustang. The body has stayed in style for ten years, where other sedans look like grandma cars now. Nissan did a great job. The inside was comfortable, almost felt like a luxury car. Drop it into third and give it some gas, and you'll be amazed. It was not perfect - the turn radius is horrible, so parking isn't fun. It needed a lot of parts replaced once it turned 150,000. Front bearings, front and rear shocks, alternator, front sway bar bushings, radiator, and windshield fluid pump all gave out within 15,000 miles. But she was easy to work on, and we did all the repairs ourselves with no problems. She runs best on premium, the engine knocks with 87, and doesn't have as much power with 89/91 as with 93. In the end, the car met its demise in a crash, 30 mph into a stopped vehicle. Airbags deployed, no one was injured. I miss it dearly."

Beach shot

MY THIRD MAXIMA

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

"Great Car Great Ride, fast interior leather is thick never wears. My only gripe is it started using oil at about 160k my other two didnt but oh well."

Electrical Issues

By on Saturday, February 06, 2010

"I bought this car new in 2000 (early release 2001 model) and really like the style and pickup. However there seems to be systemic electrical issues with this car. During the warranty period the sunroof motor went out as well as the alternator. After the warranty I had to change the alternator again and the windows groan and are going up very slowly. I just had my first break job at 80k and 9 years, it cost $430. This cars rear rotors should be replaced each time a break job is done, which adds cost to the job. Of course the check engine light comes on ever once and a while. Took it into pep boys and computer said change the oxygen sensor so I did and it went off for a while. It goes on and off as it wishes I don't pay attention anymore. The last problem was a strange noise when the engine shut off. Sounded like a servo turning on and off. I found out that it was an electrical motor mount going bad. I just un plugged it and notice no difference. Maint manual says there are only 2 settings for the motor mount based on the RPM of the engine. When you look at the engine it appears very complicated and this is an example of that design. Who ever heard of electrical motor mounts! In the end I like the car like I said just has electrical problems."