2003 Nissan Maxima

Based on 539 Ratings for the 2000 - 2003 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Reliable and Poweful 4 Door Sports Car

By on Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Pros: "Fair Price, Luxurious (GLE Model), Heated Seats"

Cons: "Suspension, Low amp on BOSE, Burns gas"

"The 2000 Nissan Maxima is one of the better cars I've driven in the last 8 years. I'm happy to own one and call it mine. Just use good oil, keep up with maintenance, and you'll have a reliable vehicle."

Gen 5 base model

By on Monday, December 16, 2013

Reason: Chronic valve oil seal leakage burns 2 quarts per tank

Pros: "Reliable car (to a point). Many options, standard"

Cons: "Handling not as good as Gen 3, 4"

"This was a great car. Always got me from point A to B. The only problem with this car that extends out of typical maintenance is a design flaw that Nissan never admitted to (in efforts to avoid recall). It's probably the only reasons why seeing this model on the road is becoming more and more rare. There is a top side valve seal that is prone to failure. Without it the engine will burn up to 2 quarts of oil per fuel tank as the oil seeps down into the cylinder. In turn this will wreak havoc on the O2 sensors and smog testing. The car was quick for what it was. As a DIY mechanic... Typical maintenance (ie alternator, radiator leaks, other common brand nameless failures) sometimes became difficult to track down. This in the case of an apparent common ignition coil failure where each cylinder has it's own coil. I did not have Consult II reader however, the OBD codes often would miss lead you to other problems. Other times, the actual problems would be non-related to the actual component failure. I do not know if this is a common issue with ALL brand names. However, having to track down the ignition coil failure is where I discovered in order to replace the rear spark plugs, you must disassemble and remove the entire air intake manifold (plenum). I'm not sure whether to consider this an engineering flaw, their quick work around or wishful thinking. I changed out the rear coils by myself in 20 minutes through other car owner tips and tricks (nissanforums.com) but it was a job not for the faint hearted DIY'er. In the end, it was the valve oil seal fix that tips the scale for cost/effectiveness in repairing and keeping the vehicle over scraping the car. The remainder of typical engine wear, from what I have seen, would have let the car easily reach 250,000 or even 500,000 miles. Overall, great car to acquire but prepare for new heads, preferably one with a working oil seal solution. Notably the valve seal issue was unknown to me at the time, until I had the car serviced by a "professional". For some reason unknown to "reason" the mechanic only put 2 quarts of oil in (oil would drip or splash onto the dip stick tube and make it difficult to see how much oil is in the pan). this caused the engine to over heat and apparently burn the oil seal. My Base model had nice optional features that came standard. Loved the auto-dimming rear view mirror and 3 channel garage door opener in the visor. Power seats. Even the bottom line audio sounded half way decent (to a condescending audiophile)"

Love this car

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Smooth ride. Great sound system. 2 cup holders"

Cons: "Plays one CD. Sensor lights are sensitive."

"We bought this car when it was three years old. It has given us very little problems!!! It has a lot of power and decent gas mileage. We have traveled the country in it. It rides smoothly and looks sharp. It has very little rust."

very nice sedan

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "more space than you expect with a luxury touch"

Cons: "not the best gas saver"

"nice medium car very comfortable with excellent driving stability"

no regrets

By on Friday, November 01, 2013

Pros: "great power, comfortable, good on gas, bose sound"

Cons: "road noise, torque steer, prefers premium gas"

"I just hit 200000 miles on my 2000 Maxima SE and this engine is still going strong(I think it was one of the best V-6 engines ever!).This car has respectable power and is quite reliable. Other than the replacement of an occasional ignition coil, it's definitely a keeper."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25