2003 Nissan Maxima

Based on 543 Ratings for the 2000 - 2003 models.

Easy to Repair, So Much Fun to Drive

By on Monday, September 16, 2013

Pros: "body, interior, fun to drive, keeps its value"

Cons: "turn radius, premium gas"

Beach shot

"I owned my 2003 Maxima GLE for three years, rode it every day to school and work. It was the best car I've driven in my life. Smooth as silk, with enough power to beat a Mustang. The body has stayed in style for ten years, where other sedans look like grandma cars now. Nissan did a great job. The inside was comfortable, almost felt like a luxury car. Drop it into third and give it some gas, and you'll be amazed. It was not perfect - the turn radius is horrible, so parking isn't fun. It needed a lot of parts replaced once it turned 150,000. Front bearings, front and rear shocks, alternator, front sway bar bushings, radiator, and windshield fluid pump all gave out within 15,000 miles. But she was easy to work on, and we did all the repairs ourselves with no problems. She runs best on premium, the engine knocks with 87, and doesn't have as much power with 89/91 as with 93. In the end, the car met its demise in a crash, 30 mph into a stopped vehicle. Airbags deployed, no one was injured. I miss it dearly."

Beach shot

Overall very reliable comfortable ride

By on Monday, August 26, 2013

Pros: "Looks great, rides great, very reliable"

Cons: "O2 sensors problems, wide turn circle"

"Really impressive reliability. Regret not going with the standard or anniversary edition due to wanting a more sporty effect. Only a 3 speed automatic transmission. Sliding sunroof would stain ceiling due to water leak from automated car washes. Overall for 13 years has been problem free except for one O2 sensor servicing required which was paid for with extended warranty."

love this car its amazing!

By on Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Pros: "Big, great price, fun to drive, safe."

Cons: "Nothing really to say."

"My Nissan Maxima SE is the best thing ever!! Its my first car and I love it. Its got the perfect amount of power to keep me out of trouble, but to get going if I need it to. Corners well. The interior is amazing, it is like a luxury car. I was considering getting a honda accord but they just have too many problems around these years. PERFECT CAR."

Best value city & country car for driving mavins

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pros: "great power-to-weight ratio and overall efficiency"

"At 12 years and 180K miles, this car has been a great combination of value, power (222HP), weight (3100lbs), economy (honest 28mpg/highway on 91 octane), roominess and reliability on long trips (6K not unusual, at high-cruising speed) without fatigue through the mountain and west coast states. It has great window view w/minimum pillar-width giving great visibility and safety. I don't recommend it in heavy winter states (it's low drag coefficient omits water-shedding window gutters and flares), but occasional use in winter and wet weather isn't a problem. With its 17" V (or W) tires and 5-speed (ungoverned engine), it's probably the fastest Maxima ever (unloaded and in wide open spaces, it still firmly touches 140mph- but don't tell). Unfortunately, they aren't making them of this value any more."

great to drive, horrible to park

By on Friday, August 09, 2013

Reason: time for a lower mileage car

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "perilous in ice and snow, even with FWd"

"This Maxima was my only deviation from Mazda in nearly 30 years of driving. Great fun to drive, cornered like a dream. Those 17-inch wheels and the low profile tires made it horrible to park. My husband thought I was just being a "woman driver" until the first time he parked it -- his Ford Explorer was more nimble. It also chewed through tires, and those low profiles were expensive to replace. There wasn't much room in the wheel wells, and ice and snow would build up in no time, making for some perilous winter driving. Might be a better choice for someone living in a warm climate, but not for New England winters."

Great Drive, Not So Great Quality

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "Fun car to drive, especially in the mountains."

Cons: "Eats starters, oxygen sensors and CV boots."

"I've had this car for 10 years now and had to have 2 starters installed. Also, I've had to replace a couple of emission sensors. And, a couple of CV boots. Even though the car handles like a dream, I doubt if I'll buy another Nissan product. Too unreliable."

BEST VEHICLE EVER

By on Sunday, August 04, 2013

"Love my Maxima, runs smooth, comfortable and has power."

Amazing car that lasts through a lot

By on Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, beautiful, reliable, powerful"

"We have had this car since about 2003 and until a car accident last year it was still in amazing condition despite not keeping up with maintenance! I recommend it to anyone looking for a good looking, reliable, fun to drive car!"

best vehicle ever

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "Incredible condition, drivability"

Cons: "Can't think of anything."

"When I purchased this vehicle in 11/11 it had only 86,000, all maintenance records. Incredible condition. In spite of its age I get compliments on its appearance. The seats are incredibly comfortable as is steering. If you come across a comparable vehicle - buy it!"

10 yrs old, 184k miles and still a blast to drive

By on Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Pros: "great to drive, with the 6 speed manual"

Cons: "some cabin noise"

"Hard to find fault with this car. Even after 11 years and 184,000 miles, I still enjoy driving it. The sporty suspenion is so much more fun to drive than competitors, and the 6 speed manual makes it. Period. The 255 horses are still very strong and gives you plenty of passing power, regardless of where you are (on a winding country road, or running 80 mph on an interstate and need to get around someone). Comfort is good, with good seat bolsters. Both the interior and exterior have aged well (I have taken good care of this, but again, not all of this can be attributed to the owner)."

See if you qualify for