2003 Nissan Maxima

Based on 559 Ratings for the 2000 - 2003 models.

luxury and speediness!

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pros: "great driving all the way around"

Cons: "not the best on mileage, but it gets 21 a gallon."

"I love this car! It is my first Nissan and it won't be my last! It has just about everything you could want in a car, and the overdrive on it is amazing and saves on gas! You need to go 0 to 50 quick, it'll get you there in seconds! Also, it's comfortable and pretty. :) It has everything you need to feel like you got it all in a car. I'll be looking for another within a year and selling this one."

Best value city & country car for driving mavins

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pros: "great power-to-weight ratio and overall efficiency"

"At 12 years and 180K miles, this car has been a great combination of value, power (222HP), weight (3100lbs), economy (honest 28mpg/highway on 91 octane), roominess and reliability on long trips (6K not unusual, at high-cruising speed) without fatigue through the mountain and west coast states. It has great window view w/minimum pillar-width giving great visibility and safety. I don't recommend it in heavy winter states (it's low drag coefficient omits water-shedding window gutters and flares), but occasional use in winter and wet weather isn't a problem. With its 17" V (or W) tires and 5-speed (ungoverned engine), it's probably the fastest Maxima ever (unloaded and in wide open spaces, it still firmly touches 140mph- but don't tell). Unfortunately, they aren't making them of this value any more."

Excellent reliability, fast, quiet, comfortable!

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pros: "Power, fuel economy, reliability"

Cons: "none really - Bose CD changer could be better"

"Really a luxury car with the heart of a sports car. Bought a 2002 model used about 5 years ago and have been extremely pleased. Just minor repairs as expected - brakes, radiator, tires, etc. Roomy interior - backseat is very comfortable with plenty of leg room. Fuel economy is great - easily > 30 mpg on the highway (more like 35 mpg). Very comfortable car; the ride is fantastic and road noise in nil. Powerful too - just bought a late-model Mustang with a V6 and the Maxima will smoke it."

Go with an Accord or Camry instead

By on Friday, August 28, 2009

"When I bought my Maxima I thought I was getting a good value buy. It was quick and responsive, and roomy enough to transport the family. Now, after so many repairs, constant trips to the mechanic, and headache after headache, I can truly say that I will never buy another Nissan product again. I have had numerous problems from the beginning. I purchased my 2001 Maxima brand new at the end of 2000, and within the first year and a half, I had to have the rear shocks replaced. The car was dangerous to drive because you would fishtail and lose the back end after driving over any minor bump. After that it was all downhill. The "Service Engine Soon" light was constantly on, and every time the mechanic thinks he has it fixed, another problem pops up. The worst problem I had was the computer or "brains" of the Maxima went out completely last year, short circuiting and causing a smell of burnt electronics to permeate throughout the car. This completely disabled the car as I was driving it! The accelerator, power steering, radio, a/c, all went dead as I was driving down the street. The only thing that worked was the brakes. Luckily I was able to pull over right away otherwise I would have been stuck in the middle of a busy street. The cost to fix this computer was $2500, and had to be done through the dealer only. Next, a few months later the power steering pump exploded fluid everywhere and had to be replaced. Next, the radiator had to be replaced. Finally, the last straw was the fan and motor had to be replaced. The 2001 Nissan Maxima teases you with its quick acceleration and roomy interior, but lets you down when it comes to overall reliability. I will never purchase another Nissan product, no matter how high the ratings or accolades and awards the company receives. I would much rather go with a Honda or Toyota product instead, simply for the peace of mind."

One of the best vehicles I have owned!

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

Pros: "Very dependable, a pleasure to drive."

Cons: "Wide turn radius"

"I have owned my 2001 SE 20th Anniversary Edition Maxima for a little over 8 years and purchased it from the original owner when it was 5 years old. It has the Bose system and gray leather interior. Dark blue with the factory ground effects that I've only seen on the Anniverary Edition. Through the years I have had to replace a few expensive parts(main computer,MAF sensor,O2 sensors,starter,alternator,struts,wheel bearings),but I would say thats normal up keep on the vehicle. I keep the oil changed when needed. The car is an absolute pleasure to drive! It runs smooth and powerful, and handles the road like a sport sedan should. I prefer the 3.0 motor just because it is such a good running and reliable motor. My first Maxima was a 1999 SE and I would brag on that one just the same. The turning radius on the 2001 is much wider than the '99, which I just had to get use to it. Awsome car!"