2002 Nissan Maxima

Based on 562 Ratings for the 2000 - 2003 models.

Great Car!

By on Sunday, April 04, 2010

"I am the second owner of a 2001 GLE, purchased at about 60k miles. This is probably the best car I have owned, maybe except for my 1992 Nissan Sentra. The car has about 160K and has had no major issues. I have been told the engine is "bullet proof" and should last for several more miles/years. The cars ride, power, feel are all excellent. Great car!"

great engine and drive train.

By on Thursday, February 25, 2010

"This vehicle has been touble free, just scheduled maintainence. The seats and interior have been super, no problems to date."

get one

By on Saturday, January 23, 2010

"bought in 2000 new, still love it, a few problems but overall great car, its been everwhere and hasn't ever let us down"

The best car you will EVER own!

By on Tuesday, December 15, 2009

"This is my 4th Maxima, I have had every style up til 03! I have averaged about 200k on each of them and only had to replace a starter! So reliable. I drive 4-5k a month and I have never had back problems because the seats are so comfortable too. I should also mention that I hit a deer on the freeway going 70MPH and I was able to drive my car home, no one could believe my car and I survived a buck deer at 70mph! So Safe, Reliable and Comfortable!"

Great car, some disappointments.

By on Friday, November 13, 2009

"Bought this 2001 SE at 44,500 mi when off lease. No problems up to 100K miles and very responsive and fun to drive. (Replaced 1 pair of O2 sensors & AC compressor at 60K miles.) Replaced front struts, alternator, front left axle btw 105K and 110K miles. MPG is 19 around town, 26-27 hwy. Roomy interior. My only big disappointment is body rust. Since about 80K miles, rust has been growing thru paint on both rear fenders above the wheel wells. This car has been garaged between drives. I previously owned a '95 Maxima for 9 years with no garage, and had zero rust. I am confident that this car's engine and drive train will last for many more years, but the body is of lesser quality. Will look to trade in for another vehicle in Spring 2010. Another Nissan? Probably not this time."

Not Worth It

By on Tuesday, November 10, 2009

"This car is really nice and comfortable. However the negatives include: Doing a U-Turn(mission), >>>Sensor Problems<<<<< A luxury car "Maxima" shouldnt have manufacture issues & this one does. Do you research b4 purchasing, Carfax dnt tell everything."

Best Bang For Your Buck

By on Saturday, October 24, 2009

"Nissan originally designed the Maxima with the intention that it be a "Four Door Sports Car" and their used to be a sticker on the window that said "4DSC". Nissan wanted to compete with and provide a low cost alternative to BMW. They have suceeded, I have raced and beat many other so-called sports cars such as Mustangs and Camaros among others. The Maxima uses Nissan's VQ35DE engine. Nissan's VQ engine has made "Ward's Top Ten Engines" list every year since the list first began. No other car manufacturer has had an engine make the list every single year. I have owned my Maxima for over 7 years now and I have only needed regular maintenance on it, never any major work. The Maxima is very roomy and comfortable. This car is worth every penny."

No regrets

By on Tuesday, June 30, 2009

"I got my 2002 GLE at 50K, now at 100K. Haven't had to do anything but routine maintenance--oil, tires. The brakes were changed right before the purchase and are still okay. The car is a great mix of fun, comfort, reliability and economy (I get an average of 27mpg, with lots of city driving). A friend of mine owned an older BMW 500 series and complained that it was constantly in the shop. He converted to a Maxima and is completely satisfied.. The Maxima has great acceleration and handles well, but we are not going to pretend it is a high-end German performance car. That's okay, I'm not driving in the Alps. I'm usually on an Interstate or stop and go in Atlanta traffic. When I have a chance to open it up, it does not disappoint. An honest good ride, no pretensions. The interior is of pretty good quality and comfortable. The Bose system with subwoofer sounds great, I get comments all the time. The back seat comfort is just okay, as is typical for sports sedans. Anyone 6 ft or taller (like me) might have a hard time positioning themselves comfortably for a long ride--but hey, it's my car--why would I be in the back?!"

great car, burns oil

By on Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"This is my second max. First one I owned to 160000. Second, 2003 6 speed. Love the car but this 2003 started burning oil at just 90,000. I have not had any other problems with anything in the car. Maintainance free."

2002 Nissan Maxima

By on Saturday, March 28, 2009

"I bought this Maxima 2 years ago and i love it! It had 85,000 miles when i bought it and it has close to 100k now. It runs like a charm. It's very dependible and gets about 24mpg. Great car for the money."

Love it

By on Tuesday, December 09, 2008

"I have a 2001 with over 122k miles and love the car. Over the years, it's been through 17k in hail damage (18k would have totalled it, spent 4 months in the shop) and 8k in elk-damage. I think everything on the exterior has been replaced twice and usually replacements are never as good as the original. The only wear on the inside are a few cracks in the leather on the entry side of the driver's seat (appeared after a particularly hot summer early on, but never got worse or showed up elsewhere). Only malfunction is the volume knob on the radio, but the stearing wheel volume buttons work fine an they're the only ones I've ever used anyway. I've taken it on a handful of 2k mile road trips with 3 other people and we didn't have to bury anyone along the way; the car is just that comfortable. Love it and will run this one into the ground in another 10 years and then buy another Maxima!"

Sensors

By on Wednesday, November 26, 2008

"I have a 2000 Maxima with 140,000 miles. I love most everything on this vehicle except after 36,000 the oxygen sensors start failing at a rate or two per year. The sensors will run you between $200 to $300 per repair. I think that I have replaced every sensor twice now. I will consider buying another maxima though because of the reliability of the car."

A Great Pick

By on Thursday, September 11, 2008

"Dollars for donuts, this is one of the best cars you could buy. If you're looking for performance, you've got it. 255 stock hp (02 & 03), and a sport suspension on the SE package. It's even faster than a lot of BMWs and "true" sports cars from those years! If you're looking for luxury, you've got it. A grocery list of available ammenities, including leather, heated seats/steering wheel, power everything, and Nav system. I've owned an '03 SE automatic for over two years now. Other than routine maintenance, I've had no issues with this car, and it has 136,000 miles on the clock. The only drawback for me, personally, is that the AT can be a bit sluggish to downshift when you want to punch it a little, but it's still pretty responsive. So if you're looking for more of a performance feel, get the six speed (I would've if I could've.) Premium gas is not required, but recommended, and you get a little better mileage from it. Careful with that Bose system though. It's glitchy (bad connections on the back of the head unit). If that's a selling point, don't bother. Get something else, something BETTER, for cheaper at a car audio store. (I know what I'm talking about. I work for Bose, actually.) All in all though, a great car! Don't buy a boring Toyota!"

2000 Max SE

By on Monday, February 04, 2008

"I've had this car for about 3 years now, and it's my 4th vehicle. I've owned German and American, and you just can't beat the Japanese reliability and performance. This car does everything you could ask - it blasts through snow - it's fun to drive on the open country roads. It's a larger car, but not a tank - it feels safe and confident - larger interior room than similar Accords and Camrys i looked at - but this car takes the cake for styling. It's built like a swiss watch - fit and finish is wonderful. Fits 4-5 adults very comfortably - I'm 6'2", and it fits me very well. With midgrade, i get 24-25 mpg in mixed driving. This car has affirmed my trust in Japanese automobiles - I will more than likely purchase another in the future. All in all - it's a wonderful car - it's not the best in any one category, but it does a lot of things exceedingly well, which makes it a winner in my book."

Overall a good vehicle

By on Thursday, January 24, 2008

"The car has great performance, however we have had alot of small problems. We have replaced the oxygen sensor 3 times, stereo has a short in it so it will only play the left right side speakers sometimes. We also had a problem with one of the sensors when the car was new, took the dealer 6 tries to fix it. The steering radius is equivalent to an 18 wheeler and the front brakes seem to be undersized."

I feel spoiled!

By on Sunday, December 23, 2007

"I have the Maxima GLE. I've had it for two years now, and it has been a very reliable car. The V6 is powerful, and I have all the options I want with the exception of heated seats. The gas mileage is the only downfall I can see, but it is to be expected with a V6. And I'd trade the gas mileage for power any day. The car has a luxurious feel and look, as well as being sporty at the same time. I would recommend this car to anyone looking, and suggest the GLE model for luxury."

Great car for the money

By on Sunday, December 16, 2007

"Bought this car new 7 years ago and put on 150k miles on it. Have not had any major problems, just maintenance repairs. The cost of the repairs is a bit pricy, but nothing outrageous. Would defintately recommend this car to anyone who's on the market for a mid priced sedan that's also fun to drive."

me n my max

By on Thursday, November 15, 2007

"no bads, all goods: only changed oil and filters, got 30 plus consistent mpg, smooth ride, no shaky noises, performance very good, road noise minimal to none, ac froze me, would buy again"

Great except MAF

By on Sunday, October 21, 2007

"Great car overall, I did the front strut bar and it makes the turn in even crisper. Good motor with the exception of the Mass Air Flow sensor which went out at 80K, bought one and then had to go in for a "Dealer Only" reprogram so the engine light would not come back on...it was a $100 for the dealer and took about 15 mins. Setting aside that the car is almost bullet proof in reliability and handles better than a Camry and the motor is strong."

many issues with this car

By on Saturday, October 13, 2007

"Had to bring the car to the dealer when it was 5 years old. Cost $1700 and 3 trips to the dealer before it was fixed. coils went bad, 3 sensors went bad, Converter went bad. I have put the best gas in the car since it was new. Now the "" LEATHER SEATS ""( NOT LEATHER ON THE SIDES OF THE SEATS) are cracking.Seats look like they are from a much cheaper car."

corrosion

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"Although a nice car with good performance, Nissan failed to adequatley design for the corrosion related problems that plague the northeast. Oil pan rust through @ 51,000 miles, emissions repair due to corosion of the fuel vapor recovery box hardware(located behind the left rear tire). Various suspension repairs all corosion related."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, September 05, 2007

"I have a 2001. Just replace the brakes and tires and oil and thats all! This car is as tight as the day I drove it off the lot brand new. I love doing 70 mph on an on-ramp. These babies dont lean at all. Built to perfection.... Awesome acceleration! 2001 was the last year this car was built in Japan. I'll never trade this in. Its something special. A great compliment to my 2006 Acura MDX. 2 great cars!!"

Fully satisfactory

By on Sunday, August 05, 2007

"Have had since new, about five years now, with no problems. Responsive, and fun. Was originally attracted by the front-end appearance and was sold by the seats, which are perfect. 26 mpg. Been all over the country on road trips just because. Drive all day and not be worn out at night, Drawbacks: Ride a bit harsh in the city, the rear end looks a little funny, the big tires need a huge area to make a turn and it went into torque steer once and scared the bejeebers outta me, so i don't push it."

A terrific car with a few limitations

By on Monday, July 30, 2007

"I've owned my '03 Maxima since it was new, nearly 5 years now. It's a terrific car for the price. If it was rear wheel drive, it would be the best car on the planet for the price. As it is, I only notice the FWD under moderate acceleration, especially when cornering. This vehicle is great to drive. The ride on the SE is a bit harsh in the city, but nice on the highway. With my 6-speed MT, I can average about 30 mpg, which is pretty good for the car that will run 6.0 0-60mph! The heated steering wheel is a great feature that few cars have. You'll appreciate it on cold days! I've experience very little (and only minor) problems with my car. I predict it will last 200K miles. If I had to buy a new vehicle now, I'd probably opt for the Altima with the 3.5 since the newer Maximas and larger, heavier, and just not worth the added expense over the Altima."

Worth it, with reservations

By on Friday, July 20, 2007

"Nearly everything about this car is good to excellent, with about the only exception being a wimpy front suspension. At 50K miles, began to squeek and groan--replaced struts at about 55K. Now has 90K, and needs them again! I was told I had to use only Nissan-approved parts, (very expensive) and they offered no warranty. A poor excuse for shoddy workmanship. Otherwise, good, comfortable, quick car; good in snow if it is not too deep! About 20 mpg city, 26-27 Hwy, as advertised. Needs premium fuel! Model is GXE, which is "stripped down," but still has nice touches. Back seat is adequate for three kids for short jaunts, better to have two for longer journeys. Very nice sound system, A/C trouble free. Only reason to trade is for somewhat better mileage and regular fuel. Back seats fold down--good for hauling things, but a little noisy on some highways."