2002 Nissan Maxima

Based on 554 Ratings for the 2000 - 2003 models.

Reliable and Poweful 4 Door Sports Car

By on Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Pros: "Fair Price, Luxurious (GLE Model), Heated Seats"

Cons: "Suspension, Low amp on BOSE, Burns gas"

"The 2000 Nissan Maxima is one of the better cars I've driven in the last 8 years. I'm happy to own one and call it mine. Just use good oil, keep up with maintenance, and you'll have a reliable vehicle."

Gen 5 base model

By on Monday, December 16, 2013

Reason: Chronic valve oil seal leakage burns 2 quarts per tank

Pros: "Reliable car (to a point). Many options, standard"

Cons: "Handling not as good as Gen 3, 4"

"This was a great car. Always got me from point A to B. The only problem with this car that extends out of typical maintenance is a design flaw that Nissan never admitted to (in efforts to avoid recall). It's probably the only reasons why seeing this model on the road is becoming more and more rare. There is a top side valve seal that is prone to failure. Without it the engine will burn up to 2 quarts of oil per fuel tank as the oil seeps down into the cylinder. In turn this will wreak havoc on the O2 sensors and smog testing. The car was quick for what it was. As a DIY mechanic... Typical maintenance (ie alternator, radiator leaks, other common brand nameless failures) sometimes became difficult to track down. This in the case of an apparent common ignition coil failure where each cylinder has it's own coil. I did not have Consult II reader however, the OBD codes often would miss lead you to other problems. Other times, the actual problems would be non-related to the actual component failure. I do not know if this is a common issue with ALL brand names. However, having to track down the ignition coil failure is where I discovered in order to replace the rear spark plugs, you must disassemble and remove the entire air intake manifold (plenum). I'm not sure whether to consider this an engineering flaw, their quick work around or wishful thinking. I changed out the rear coils by myself in 20 minutes through other car owner tips and tricks (nissanforums.com) but it was a job not for the faint hearted DIY'er. In the end, it was the valve oil seal fix that tips the scale for cost/effectiveness in repairing and keeping the vehicle over scraping the car. The remainder of typical engine wear, from what I have seen, would have let the car easily reach 250,000 or even 500,000 miles. Overall, great car to acquire but prepare for new heads, preferably one with a working oil seal solution. Notably the valve seal issue was unknown to me at the time, until I had the car serviced by a "professional". For some reason unknown to "reason" the mechanic only put 2 quarts of oil in (oil would drip or splash onto the dip stick tube and make it difficult to see how much oil is in the pan). this caused the engine to over heat and apparently burn the oil seal. My Base model had nice optional features that came standard. Loved the auto-dimming rear view mirror and 3 channel garage door opener in the visor. Power seats. Even the bottom line audio sounded half way decent (to a condescending audiophile)"

Love this car

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Smooth ride. Great sound system. 2 cup holders"

Cons: "Plays one CD. Sensor lights are sensitive."

"We bought this car when it was three years old. It has given us very little problems!!! It has a lot of power and decent gas mileage. We have traveled the country in it. It rides smoothly and looks sharp. It has very little rust."

very nice sedan

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "more space than you expect with a luxury touch"

Cons: "not the best gas saver"

"nice medium car very comfortable with excellent driving stability"

no regrets

By on Friday, November 01, 2013

Pros: "great power, comfortable, good on gas, bose sound"

Cons: "road noise, torque steer, prefers premium gas"

"I just hit 200000 miles on my 2000 Maxima SE and this engine is still going strong(I think it was one of the best V-6 engines ever!).This car has respectable power and is quite reliable. Other than the replacement of an occasional ignition coil, it's definitely a keeper."

best car I have ever owned, period

By on Monday, September 16, 2013

Pros: "the car has the smoothest engine I've ever driven"

Cons: "gas mileage combined was low 20's......"

"I had 270,000 miles on the original engine and transmission. Regretfully, the car was totalled when I was hit from behind by another driver, who was supposedly doing 50+ mph at the time of impact. This was absolutely the best and most reliable car I have ever owned, and is my 4th consecutive Nissan with over 150,000 miles on it, going all the way back to a 1985 280ZX Turbo."

Easy to Repair, So Much Fun to Drive

By on Monday, September 16, 2013

Pros: "body, interior, fun to drive, keeps its value"

Cons: "turn radius, premium gas"

Beach shot

"I owned my 2003 Maxima GLE for three years, rode it every day to school and work. It was the best car I've driven in my life. Smooth as silk, with enough power to beat a Mustang. The body has stayed in style for ten years, where other sedans look like grandma cars now. Nissan did a great job. The inside was comfortable, almost felt like a luxury car. Drop it into third and give it some gas, and you'll be amazed. It was not perfect - the turn radius is horrible, so parking isn't fun. It needed a lot of parts replaced once it turned 150,000. Front bearings, front and rear shocks, alternator, front sway bar bushings, radiator, and windshield fluid pump all gave out within 15,000 miles. But she was easy to work on, and we did all the repairs ourselves with no problems. She runs best on premium, the engine knocks with 87, and doesn't have as much power with 89/91 as with 93. In the end, the car met its demise in a crash, 30 mph into a stopped vehicle. Airbags deployed, no one was injured. I miss it dearly."

Beach shot

Overall very reliable comfortable ride

By on Monday, August 26, 2013

Pros: "Looks great, rides great, very reliable"

Cons: "O2 sensors problems, wide turn circle"

"Really impressive reliability. Regret not going with the standard or anniversary edition due to wanting a more sporty effect. Only a 3 speed automatic transmission. Sliding sunroof would stain ceiling due to water leak from automated car washes. Overall for 13 years has been problem free except for one O2 sensor servicing required which was paid for with extended warranty."

love this car its amazing!

By on Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Pros: "Big, great price, fun to drive, safe."

Cons: "Nothing really to say."

"My Nissan Maxima SE is the best thing ever!! Its my first car and I love it. Its got the perfect amount of power to keep me out of trouble, but to get going if I need it to. Corners well. The interior is amazing, it is like a luxury car. I was considering getting a honda accord but they just have too many problems around these years. PERFECT CAR."

Best value city & country car for driving mavins

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pros: "great power-to-weight ratio and overall efficiency"

"At 12 years and 180K miles, this car has been a great combination of value, power (222HP), weight (3100lbs), economy (honest 28mpg/highway on 91 octane), roominess and reliability on long trips (6K not unusual, at high-cruising speed) without fatigue through the mountain and west coast states. It has great window view w/minimum pillar-width giving great visibility and safety. I don't recommend it in heavy winter states (it's low drag coefficient omits water-shedding window gutters and flares), but occasional use in winter and wet weather isn't a problem. With its 17" V (or W) tires and 5-speed (ungoverned engine), it's probably the fastest Maxima ever (unloaded and in wide open spaces, it still firmly touches 140mph- but don't tell). Unfortunately, they aren't making them of this value any more."

great to drive, horrible to park

By on Friday, August 09, 2013

Reason: time for a lower mileage car

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "perilous in ice and snow, even with FWd"

"This Maxima was my only deviation from Mazda in nearly 30 years of driving. Great fun to drive, cornered like a dream. Those 17-inch wheels and the low profile tires made it horrible to park. My husband thought I was just being a "woman driver" until the first time he parked it -- his Ford Explorer was more nimble. It also chewed through tires, and those low profiles were expensive to replace. There wasn't much room in the wheel wells, and ice and snow would build up in no time, making for some perilous winter driving. Might be a better choice for someone living in a warm climate, but not for New England winters."

Great Drive, Not So Great Quality

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "Fun car to drive, especially in the mountains."

Cons: "Eats starters, oxygen sensors and CV boots."

"I've had this car for 10 years now and had to have 2 starters installed. Also, I've had to replace a couple of emission sensors. And, a couple of CV boots. Even though the car handles like a dream, I doubt if I'll buy another Nissan product. Too unreliable."

BEST VEHICLE EVER

By on Sunday, August 04, 2013

"Love my Maxima, runs smooth, comfortable and has power."

Amazing car that lasts through a lot

By on Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, beautiful, reliable, powerful"

"We have had this car since about 2003 and until a car accident last year it was still in amazing condition despite not keeping up with maintenance! I recommend it to anyone looking for a good looking, reliable, fun to drive car!"

best vehicle ever

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "Incredible condition, drivability"

Cons: "Can't think of anything."

"When I purchased this vehicle in 11/11 it had only 86,000, all maintenance records. Incredible condition. In spite of its age I get compliments on its appearance. The seats are incredibly comfortable as is steering. If you come across a comparable vehicle - buy it!"

10 yrs old, 184k miles and still a blast to drive

By on Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Pros: "great to drive, with the 6 speed manual"

Cons: "some cabin noise"

"Hard to find fault with this car. Even after 11 years and 184,000 miles, I still enjoy driving it. The sporty suspenion is so much more fun to drive than competitors, and the 6 speed manual makes it. Period. The 255 horses are still very strong and gives you plenty of passing power, regardless of where you are (on a winding country road, or running 80 mph on an interstate and need to get around someone). Comfort is good, with good seat bolsters. Both the interior and exterior have aged well (I have taken good care of this, but again, not all of this can be attributed to the owner)."

Driven daily since 2002. Great motor, dependable

By on Monday, May 06, 2013

Pros: "Great 4 door sports car. Strong motor and very de"

"I have driven tis car daily since 2002. It has a great motor, smooth and lots of power. Its ben dependable since day 1. With 143,000 miles i have been doing alot of maintenance but overall this car has been great."

Good, comfortable and reliable car

By on Monday, May 06, 2013

"Bought used with 18K in 3 years. Now at 135K in 2013. Has been a very reliable car and extremely comfortable car. Has the automatic a/c and heat with leather and heated seats. Marked it down for driving dynamics due to poor turning radius. It rears it's head in many normal driving conditions like U turns and parking. Other than that I have loved and enjoyed my 2001 max SE!"

Sporty with glitches

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "Sporty, decent gas mileage, good power, reliable"

Cons: "Bad ergos, quirky mechanical issues"

"I bought it used in 2005 with 89k miles and it now has 195k. No major repairs and the engine still sounds quiet and smooth. The timing chain design is a nice feature. 222hp gets it up hills in 5th no problem and still returns 28mpg regardless of highway speed. Very quiet too. The SE model has stiffer shocks and the 5 speed which really makes the most of this great engine. Repairs have been minimal with a starter at 125k miles and the CV boots torn at around 150k. AC and heat are still just fine. Various internal plastic parts clearly don't have UV stabilizers and appear to be disintegrating. The car is a dark charcoal color and the clearcoat is coming off the bumper and rear quarter panels, making it look terrible. My major complaint is the terrible driver ergonomics. Even with the tilt set fully up, the steering wheel is literally 8" above my legs, ie in my lap. I'm not a huge guy by any means at 6' but clearly Nissan dropped the ball positioning the wheel so darn low. And yes the seat is fully down. The clutch hose sprung a leak at 150k and made things interesting with the clutch pedal. One minute it would release at the floor, the next toward the top. It's an oft-talked about issue on various forums and I found a new hose to solve it. Part was $48 and took a while to bleed the system. SES light is always on. The two O2 sensor banks don't agree with each other and throw a code. We don't have emissions here but I can see this being a huge headache to those that do. It doesn't affect driveability. Power at nearly 200k is just the same as 89k. Ironically the passenger seating is fantastic with limo-like rear seating. Sometimes I wish someone would drive me around so I could sit in the back and relax. The trunk pass-through is a nice bonus for longer cargo. All switches still work and the auto down/up driver window switch is a nice touch as is the automatic headlights. Lastly it has developed the usual clunk at low speeds over speedbumps and the like. Steering and shocks are still tight so I suspect it's the swaybar bushings. Just a minor irritant really. Overall my car has been reliable and I wouldn't hesitate to go on a long road trip with it, but it hasn't been all roses."

Nice power!

By on Sunday, April 07, 2013

Pros: "Good enjoyable car, loyal, dependable"

Cons: "Pricey parts"

"This is an excellent car to own! When everything is running properly and tuned, this car has power and zip. I would have so many miles on it that the parts are wearing down and this is the only reason to let it go. The parts can be pricey to repair the vehicle, but if cost is not a problem, it can be a wonderful car to keep. Gas mileage is ok, but with additives, this car can be a good selection"

Check whether it's California or Federal spec

By on Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Expensive for what you get, high repair costs"

"As mentioned, check the VIN of the vehicle before you even think of purchasing it. There are 2 different versions of the 2000 Maxima floating around on the market - a California and a Federal version. The VIN number of the vehicle will reflect which version it is and can easily be checked on any search engine. The California version has some additional parts added to the exhaust/emissions system - when they fail, it's more difficult to figure out where the problem originated and much more expensive to get replacement parts. I'm currently in the process of deciding whether mine is worth fixing or not. The repairs needed are necessary to pass emissions and the costs are likely to be roughly 50% of the car's KBB value. This being said, before it started to break down on me it was a pretty nice vehicle. Ample power and quite fun to drive. Fuel economy isn't stellar, but it's far from terrible. I suspect that if I'd gotten a Federal spec vehicle, I'd have nicer things to say about the car. As it stands, though, if the VIN indicates a California spec vehicle then I'd recommend looking at other options."

this car is okay but needs work

By on Sunday, December 02, 2012

Pros: "leather interier, power everything, sunroof."

Cons: "power steering leak. motor mounts breaking"

"This car is okay, but it needs work. I just replaced the battery (3 year) and it died on me again. it sputters everytime i start it up in the morning. I think the problem is the alternator, not sure yet though. the motor mounts are breaking and the power steering is leaking. thats all that i know of that is wrong with it. i will show pictures once you email me."

Good car, but has flaws.

By on Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pros: "Quick, classy, sporty"

Cons: "expensive, hard to work on, no back seat,"

"This was my first car i bought with 69,000 miles on it from a dealer. It has always been fun to drive and quick on the road. Great bose stero, and easy controls for everything to work. Interior has held up very well and I still drive the car today. That said, here are flaws: around 90,000 miles a ping started in the engin between 1500, and 2300 rpms that for the life of me and all the shops i take it to can not figure out, it is annoying and always makes me wonder how long the car will hold up. Tires are eaten quick, regardless of how you drive. A new headlight buld is well over 150 bucks, so maintenance on the car all around is expensive. Tranny is good and the car still is a rocket, but it can be expensive. No rust or paint flaws, and it is not a garage kept car. The interior is a great ride, mainly for the front seats, good view, easy reach for things. Back seat however has little to no head room because of the sun roof slide back. The car does not like to hold 4 full grown adults, you will feel the suspension bottom out on large bumps, and thats with new struts (replaced 3,000 miles ago). Additionally, with 4 adults, the car does not like to stop too quick. I have always thought the brakes for this car were slightly undersized. Just my thoughts. I dont think I would jump at buying another maxima, but i wouldnt rule it out."

This was a great 4 door sedan

By on Monday, September 03, 2012

Reason: I didn't sell it. it was impounded.

Pros: "Fun car, great on space, lots of power"

Cons: "Hard to work on, maintenance is expensive."

"this car was great to drive and comfortable on long trips. all the features are well thought out in placement. it is a little expensive to work on. and tires are pricey if u get a model with 16" rims. the vehicle has plenty of power. I had the 5speed and got great gas mileage(18-24). I did enjoy this car till it needed repairs."

Such a great vehicle

By on Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great gas mileage for a sports car"

Cons: "Can't think of any"

"I bought this vehicle new in 2003 and it has 196,000 miles on it now. Besides changing the oil, tires and other normal wear, it has been maintenance free. Still getting 30+ MPG highway and averaging 26.5 MPG on a tank of gas. Slight reduction in engine power at this age but still lots of kick. Interior has held up great. Only wear is small crack in leather on drivers seat, I wore through the drivers floor mat with my shoes and the stick shift leather cover pulled away from seam. I would definitely buy another Maxima, new or used."