2002 Nissan Maxima

Based on 561 Ratings for the 2000 - 2003 models.

Check whether it's California or Federal spec

By on Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Expensive for what you get, high repair costs"

"As mentioned, check the VIN of the vehicle before you even think of purchasing it. There are 2 different versions of the 2000 Maxima floating around on the market - a California and a Federal version. The VIN number of the vehicle will reflect which version it is and can easily be checked on any search engine. The California version has some additional parts added to the exhaust/emissions system - when they fail, it's more difficult to figure out where the problem originated and much more expensive to get replacement parts. I'm currently in the process of deciding whether mine is worth fixing or not. The repairs needed are necessary to pass emissions and the costs are likely to be roughly 50% of the car's KBB value. This being said, before it started to break down on me it was a pretty nice vehicle. Ample power and quite fun to drive. Fuel economy isn't stellar, but it's far from terrible. I suspect that if I'd gotten a Federal spec vehicle, I'd have nicer things to say about the car. As it stands, though, if the VIN indicates a California spec vehicle then I'd recommend looking at other options."

had to let this one go

By on Thursday, December 03, 2009

"I bought my 2001 maxima with 60K plus miles on it with very high hopes, (import girl at heart). it drove well for the first week until the check engine light came on, did all the standard mainenance,ie: brakes, rotars,belts, oil etc. loved the giddie up this car had but had to eventually stop the bleeding. I am jealous of every nissan owner that gave this car 5 stars, God knows i wanted too. Unfortunatley i fall into the category of the nisssan lemon owners. I started replacing sensors, alternators, calipers, the speaker system quit working in the back. I had the same whistling in the back noise another reviewr reported as well as my driver door dropping when i opened it. I also had steering problems due to the steering belt constantly slipping. I kept fixing brand new tires that buckled under the front ends weight (tire seals kept popping), I had MAF issues as well. I live in the northwest so you better know how to drive in bad weather or your in trouble. Long story short, I kept this car for nearly 5 years, put a ton of money into it,I am sure there were more problems then i stated but you get the point. (too many to recall, and very expensive to fix). But still not ready to give up on this car, I kept putting money into it. I ended up replacing two starters, and two alternators, more belts. I am suprised no one else mentioned the enormous electrical problems this car has. i just spent another 400.00 fixing it because I was determined to keep her going until the mechanic told me the computer cannot communicate with the ABS system, and that i now had wheel bearing problems as well. It has been one thing after another with this car and it is a shame, but it has dettered me from buying another Nissan. I just purchased a new impala after much resistance but I am in the car right, it has all fun stuff and luxury the imports provide, it rides great and i was able to afford an extended warranty. I wasn't ready to say goodbye to the old maxima, but I was ready for reliablity, affordabilty, peace of mind and I finally feel good about buying domestic. If you want a nissan buy a new one (or kiss your money goodbye).Although i have to say the reason i am in this chevy right is the value my nissan held even with it's problems it had which i disclosed to the dealer. I didn's want another unsuspecting consumer to get stuck with my old nissan. Take care on the road out there folks. Happy Holidays!"

Amazing car!

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Great value, excellent fuel economy for size/power"

Cons: "Firm ride, wind noise"

"My father bought the 2003 Maxima SE new, I bought it from him. The car has been very reliable. In its 157000 mile life, the only non-wear items I've had to replace are engine mounts and alternator. Fuel economy has been remarkable for a car of this size and performance. I average between 24 and 25 MPG. On highway trips I've seen as good as 30 MPG for a tank. Other than wear items, everything is original. The air still blows cold, and heater hot. I have replaced the struts, breaks, belts, etc. I also had to replace the radiator, thanks to a rock. Rear seat room is excellent. On trips from TX to NY, my daughters would prefer to take my Maxima over my father's Audi A4. And, even with 157000 miles on it, I would not hesitate to make the trip. If you are looking to buy one, I would highly recommend one."

nice sporty car

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2007

"I like my maxima GLE, but it has kind of an airy noise, or sounds like the window or door is open just a crack in the back right side. It's got power and drives smooth. I've had to replace the brakes, Alternator, catalitic convertor, serpintine belt and the fuel filter. I don't know if this is routine for this many miles... (80,000)"

Great Car If You Don't Mind Dash Lights!

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"I was Maxima fan for several years before biting the bullet and purchasing a fully loaded 2001 SE brand new. After owning it for a few years (just out of warranty) "Service Engine Soon" light came on. Brought it to the dealer and was told that it was two of the Oxygen Sensors and unfortunately since my 3yr/36K warranty just expired, it would cost me a little over $400 to replace. Car was fine for another year or so when the SES light came on again. This time it was the one Oxygen sensor I hadn't replaced! Another $200 in useless repairs! Not long after my "ABS" light came on. This time it was an ABS sensor, which my mechanic told me was non-essential because the car reverts to conventional braking if ABS system is not functional. I opted not to replace this one and about six months later SES light also came back on! I ended up driving around for a few years with ABS and SES lights on without any issues. Other than routine maintenance, the only other issue I had besides sensors was the alternator which I replaced 3 times in six months (mechanic admitted he tried cheaping out on inferior rebuilds and finally replaced with a quality rebuild) I had planned on keeping this car for ten years and 120K-130K miles, but due to dashboard resembling a a lit up Christmas tree and reliability issues after the alternator experience, I opted to trade it in after seven years with 92K on it. All in all, a great performing car with overall decent reliability, but due to issues with costly sensors I would not recommend buying one."