2002 Nissan Maxima

Based on 539 Ratings for the 2000 - 2003 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Great car, no problems, good gas mileage, lots of

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

"Overall great car. Good gas mileage. Handles well and lots of power, pick-up and reliable."

This car is a trooper!

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Pros: "Very comfortable interior."

Cons: "Funky model of its generation from the exterior."

"This car has hung in there with me through long road trips and daily commute traffic. Never had any real major mechanical issues, up until around 200k mark. One of the two radiator fans gave out but caught it on time and prevented the engine from overheating. Camshaft and crankshaft sensors were changed. Engine starts to sound a little rough now but with the current mileage (227k +) one can expect this. Car was always serviced with premium oil changes, premium unleaded even till today, and lots of love. This car has traveled along the western sea board from Mexico to Canada on several occasions and commutes in daily rush hour traffic with me. I am very impressed with the reliability and durability of this car. The commodity from inside is the best and very spacious. The exterior is kinda funky but the interior is awesome, at least my model is. I love this car."

One of the best vehicles I have owned!

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

Pros: "Very dependable, a pleasure to drive."

Cons: "Wide turn radius"

"I have owned my 2001 SE 20th Anniversary Edition Maxima for a little over 8 years and purchased it from the original owner when it was 5 years old. It has the Bose system and gray leather interior. Dark blue with the factory ground effects that I've only seen on the Anniverary Edition. Through the years I have had to replace a few expensive parts(main computer,MAF sensor,O2 sensors,starter,alternator,struts,wheel bearings),but I would say thats normal up keep on the vehicle. I keep the oil changed when needed. The car is an absolute pleasure to drive! It runs smooth and powerful, and handles the road like a sport sedan should. I prefer the 3.0 motor just because it is such a good running and reliable motor. My first Maxima was a 1999 SE and I would brag on that one just the same. The turning radius on the 2001 is much wider than the '99, which I just had to get use to it. Awsome car!"

Cons: "Radio electrical."

"2001 Nissan Maxima, I have owned this car for the last 9 years and it has been the most reliable vehicle that I have owned. At over 230K miles it still runs like new. Turns on every morning without any trouble. Only minor electrical problems with the radio and subwoofer of the Bose system. With good maintenance engine and transmission should last another 200k."

Great car!

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "Reliability galore!"

"Bot this car in 2010 used at 50K miles. Been a very reliable vehicle with no major issues. I can't remember any issues at present with the exception of the stainless steel muffler coming unwelded. Cost was $65 to reweld it, after another muffler shop said it had to be replaced for $$$$$. Stainless lasts forever, no need for replacement. I live in WI and this winter has been brutal with wind chills to -47. No problem starting up this 14 yr old car or any other issues. I would buy it all over again, if had the chance."

love my car

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "It's a powerful, sleek, comfortable, reliable car"

Cons: "Clear coat wore off, coils need to be replaced."

"I bought this in 2009 for $7500 with 85k on it. I'm now at 145K and I plan to keep it until 200K. I love it. Cons: The leather on the shifter has deteriorated, the cruise control doesn't work anymore, I had the stereo replaced, it's seems to leak transmission fluid, and the clear coat on the hood and spoiler has worn away (but I do live in Florida). As for maintenance, I get regular oil changes, I had the radiator replaced and some coils. Those were the costly repairs. After 60k miles, I need new tires. The things I love are the leather, the black on black combo with tinted windows, the power, the value, the manual shift, the 20th Anniversary Edition, the automatic headlights and it handles great. Pros: It's a powerful, sleek, comfortable and reliable car. Yes, I would get another one just like it. Yes, I would get another Maxima or an Altima 3.5, black on black with leather."

luxury and speediness!

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pros: "great driving all the way around"

Cons: "not the best on mileage, but it gets 21 a gallon."

"I love this car! It is my first Nissan and it won't be my last! It has just about everything you could want in a car, and the overdrive on it is amazing and saves on gas! You need to go 0 to 50 quick, it'll get you there in seconds! Also, it's comfortable and pretty. :) It has everything you need to feel like you got it all in a car. I'll be looking for another within a year and selling this one."

one of if not the best car i ever owned

By on Sunday, January 05, 2014

Pros: "everything you could ever want in a car, awsome"

Cons: "a little costly to repair"

"It will be hard to ever drive anything less, this car spoiled me. A quality ride with all the comfort and conveniences you could want. Quality and reliability , so easy to drive and handles like a dream. I will surly miss my heated seats and steering wheel this winter. So reliable my son is buying the car from me at 170000 miles and it will most likely keep going for years to come."

Reliable and Poweful 4 Door Sports Car

By on Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Pros: "Fair Price, Luxurious (GLE Model), Heated Seats"

Cons: "Suspension, Low amp on BOSE, Burns gas"

"The 2000 Nissan Maxima is one of the better cars I've driven in the last 8 years. I'm happy to own one and call it mine. Just use good oil, keep up with maintenance, and you'll have a reliable vehicle."

Gen 5 base model

By on Monday, December 16, 2013

Reason: Chronic valve oil seal leakage burns 2 quarts per tank

Pros: "Reliable car (to a point). Many options, standard"

Cons: "Handling not as good as Gen 3, 4"

"This was a great car. Always got me from point A to B. The only problem with this car that extends out of typical maintenance is a design flaw that Nissan never admitted to (in efforts to avoid recall). It's probably the only reasons why seeing this model on the road is becoming more and more rare. There is a top side valve seal that is prone to failure. Without it the engine will burn up to 2 quarts of oil per fuel tank as the oil seeps down into the cylinder. In turn this will wreak havoc on the O2 sensors and smog testing. The car was quick for what it was. As a DIY mechanic... Typical maintenance (ie alternator, radiator leaks, other common brand nameless failures) sometimes became difficult to track down. This in the case of an apparent common ignition coil failure where each cylinder has it's own coil. I did not have Consult II reader however, the OBD codes often would miss lead you to other problems. Other times, the actual problems would be non-related to the actual component failure. I do not know if this is a common issue with ALL brand names. However, having to track down the ignition coil failure is where I discovered in order to replace the rear spark plugs, you must disassemble and remove the entire air intake manifold (plenum). I'm not sure whether to consider this an engineering flaw, their quick work around or wishful thinking. I changed out the rear coils by myself in 20 minutes through other car owner tips and tricks (nissanforums.com) but it was a job not for the faint hearted DIY'er. In the end, it was the valve oil seal fix that tips the scale for cost/effectiveness in repairing and keeping the vehicle over scraping the car. The remainder of typical engine wear, from what I have seen, would have let the car easily reach 250,000 or even 500,000 miles. Overall, great car to acquire but prepare for new heads, preferably one with a working oil seal solution. Notably the valve seal issue was unknown to me at the time, until I had the car serviced by a "professional". For some reason unknown to "reason" the mechanic only put 2 quarts of oil in (oil would drip or splash onto the dip stick tube and make it difficult to see how much oil is in the pan). this caused the engine to over heat and apparently burn the oil seal. My Base model had nice optional features that came standard. Loved the auto-dimming rear view mirror and 3 channel garage door opener in the visor. Power seats. Even the bottom line audio sounded half way decent (to a condescending audiophile)"

Love this car

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Smooth ride. Great sound system. 2 cup holders"

Cons: "Plays one CD. Sensor lights are sensitive."

"We bought this car when it was three years old. It has given us very little problems!!! It has a lot of power and decent gas mileage. We have traveled the country in it. It rides smoothly and looks sharp. It has very little rust."

very nice sedan

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "more space than you expect with a luxury touch"

Cons: "not the best gas saver"

"nice medium car very comfortable with excellent driving stability"

no regrets

By on Friday, November 01, 2013

Pros: "great power, comfortable, good on gas, bose sound"

Cons: "road noise, torque steer, prefers premium gas"

"I just hit 200000 miles on my 2000 Maxima SE and this engine is still going strong(I think it was one of the best V-6 engines ever!).This car has respectable power and is quite reliable. Other than the replacement of an occasional ignition coil, it's definitely a keeper."

best car I have ever owned, period

By on Monday, September 16, 2013

Pros: "the car has the smoothest engine I've ever driven"

Cons: "gas mileage combined was low 20's......"

"I had 270,000 miles on the original engine and transmission. Regretfully, the car was totalled when I was hit from behind by another driver, who was supposedly doing 50+ mph at the time of impact. This was absolutely the best and most reliable car I have ever owned, and is my 4th consecutive Nissan with over 150,000 miles on it, going all the way back to a 1985 280ZX Turbo."

Easy to Repair, So Much Fun to Drive

By on Monday, September 16, 2013

Pros: "body, interior, fun to drive, keeps its value"

Cons: "turn radius, premium gas"

Beach shot

"I owned my 2003 Maxima GLE for three years, rode it every day to school and work. It was the best car I've driven in my life. Smooth as silk, with enough power to beat a Mustang. The body has stayed in style for ten years, where other sedans look like grandma cars now. Nissan did a great job. The inside was comfortable, almost felt like a luxury car. Drop it into third and give it some gas, and you'll be amazed. It was not perfect - the turn radius is horrible, so parking isn't fun. It needed a lot of parts replaced once it turned 150,000. Front bearings, front and rear shocks, alternator, front sway bar bushings, radiator, and windshield fluid pump all gave out within 15,000 miles. But she was easy to work on, and we did all the repairs ourselves with no problems. She runs best on premium, the engine knocks with 87, and doesn't have as much power with 89/91 as with 93. In the end, the car met its demise in a crash, 30 mph into a stopped vehicle. Airbags deployed, no one was injured. I miss it dearly."

Beach shot

Overall very reliable comfortable ride

By on Monday, August 26, 2013

Pros: "Looks great, rides great, very reliable"

Cons: "O2 sensors problems, wide turn circle"

"Really impressive reliability. Regret not going with the standard or anniversary edition due to wanting a more sporty effect. Only a 3 speed automatic transmission. Sliding sunroof would stain ceiling due to water leak from automated car washes. Overall for 13 years has been problem free except for one O2 sensor servicing required which was paid for with extended warranty."

love this car its amazing!

By on Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Pros: "Big, great price, fun to drive, safe."

Cons: "Nothing really to say."

"My Nissan Maxima SE is the best thing ever!! Its my first car and I love it. Its got the perfect amount of power to keep me out of trouble, but to get going if I need it to. Corners well. The interior is amazing, it is like a luxury car. I was considering getting a honda accord but they just have too many problems around these years. PERFECT CAR."

Best value city & country car for driving mavins

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pros: "great power-to-weight ratio and overall efficiency"

"At 12 years and 180K miles, this car has been a great combination of value, power (222HP), weight (3100lbs), economy (honest 28mpg/highway on 91 octane), roominess and reliability on long trips (6K not unusual, at high-cruising speed) without fatigue through the mountain and west coast states. It has great window view w/minimum pillar-width giving great visibility and safety. I don't recommend it in heavy winter states (it's low drag coefficient omits water-shedding window gutters and flares), but occasional use in winter and wet weather isn't a problem. With its 17" V (or W) tires and 5-speed (ungoverned engine), it's probably the fastest Maxima ever (unloaded and in wide open spaces, it still firmly touches 140mph- but don't tell). Unfortunately, they aren't making them of this value any more."

great to drive, horrible to park

By on Friday, August 09, 2013

Reason: time for a lower mileage car

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "perilous in ice and snow, even with FWd"

"This Maxima was my only deviation from Mazda in nearly 30 years of driving. Great fun to drive, cornered like a dream. Those 17-inch wheels and the low profile tires made it horrible to park. My husband thought I was just being a "woman driver" until the first time he parked it -- his Ford Explorer was more nimble. It also chewed through tires, and those low profiles were expensive to replace. There wasn't much room in the wheel wells, and ice and snow would build up in no time, making for some perilous winter driving. Might be a better choice for someone living in a warm climate, but not for New England winters."

Great Drive, Not So Great Quality

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "Fun car to drive, especially in the mountains."

Cons: "Eats starters, oxygen sensors and CV boots."

"I've had this car for 10 years now and had to have 2 starters installed. Also, I've had to replace a couple of emission sensors. And, a couple of CV boots. Even though the car handles like a dream, I doubt if I'll buy another Nissan product. Too unreliable."

BEST VEHICLE EVER

By on Sunday, August 04, 2013

"Love my Maxima, runs smooth, comfortable and has power."

Amazing car that lasts through a lot

By on Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, beautiful, reliable, powerful"

"We have had this car since about 2003 and until a car accident last year it was still in amazing condition despite not keeping up with maintenance! I recommend it to anyone looking for a good looking, reliable, fun to drive car!"

best vehicle ever

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "Incredible condition, drivability"

Cons: "Can't think of anything."

"When I purchased this vehicle in 11/11 it had only 86,000, all maintenance records. Incredible condition. In spite of its age I get compliments on its appearance. The seats are incredibly comfortable as is steering. If you come across a comparable vehicle - buy it!"

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25