2001 Nissan Maxima

Based on 561 Ratings for the 2000 - 2003 models.

Easy to Repair, So Much Fun to Drive

By on Monday, September 16, 2013

Pros: "body, interior, fun to drive, keeps its value"

Cons: "turn radius, premium gas"

Beach shot

"I owned my 2003 Maxima GLE for three years, rode it every day to school and work. It was the best car I've driven in my life. Smooth as silk, with enough power to beat a Mustang. The body has stayed in style for ten years, where other sedans look like grandma cars now. Nissan did a great job. The inside was comfortable, almost felt like a luxury car. Drop it into third and give it some gas, and you'll be amazed. It was not perfect - the turn radius is horrible, so parking isn't fun. It needed a lot of parts replaced once it turned 150,000. Front bearings, front and rear shocks, alternator, front sway bar bushings, radiator, and windshield fluid pump all gave out within 15,000 miles. But she was easy to work on, and we did all the repairs ourselves with no problems. She runs best on premium, the engine knocks with 87, and doesn't have as much power with 89/91 as with 93. In the end, the car met its demise in a crash, 30 mph into a stopped vehicle. Airbags deployed, no one was injured. I miss it dearly."

Beach shot

Still Running Strong with 250K

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "All around great car"

Cons: "Very unassuming interior looks."

"I am just starting process of looking at replacing my beloved Maxima. Test drove a '07 Civic SI Sedan two days ago. I couldnt believe my '00 Maxima kicked that honda's a**. My clutch has never been replaced and it has way better feel and response than the civic that had 108K. The steering was soft and boring in normal street driving. My Max even though it has a little more body roll due to suspension needing replaced at all four corners still reacts faster and pulls through corners at speed. I also drove an '03 A4 with a V6. No comparison to power my 3.0 still has. Thanks Nissan for making an awesome car that I can fit my three kids into comfortably but still have some fun with when its just me."

MY THIRD MAXIMA

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

"Great Car Great Ride, fast interior leather is thick never wears. My only gripe is it started using oil at about 160k my other two didnt but oh well."

Electrical Issues

By on Saturday, February 06, 2010

"I bought this car new in 2000 (early release 2001 model) and really like the style and pickup. However there seems to be systemic electrical issues with this car. During the warranty period the sunroof motor went out as well as the alternator. After the warranty I had to change the alternator again and the windows groan and are going up very slowly. I just had my first break job at 80k and 9 years, it cost $430. This cars rear rotors should be replaced each time a break job is done, which adds cost to the job. Of course the check engine light comes on ever once and a while. Took it into pep boys and computer said change the oxygen sensor so I did and it went off for a while. It goes on and off as it wishes I don't pay attention anymore. The last problem was a strange noise when the engine shut off. Sounded like a servo turning on and off. I found out that it was an electrical motor mount going bad. I just un plugged it and notice no difference. Maint manual says there are only 2 settings for the motor mount based on the RPM of the engine. When you look at the engine it appears very complicated and this is an example of that design. Who ever heard of electrical motor mounts! In the end I like the car like I said just has electrical problems."

By on Saturday, January 05, 2008

"I bought my Maxima with 8 miles on it and currently have 120k. So far nothing has broken except for the chip that controls the A/C blower, but it was a two screw repair and $100. The only complaint I have ever had is the noise as the SE has bigger wheels and the road and wind noise is a little bit of a pain. When considering that it was worth $25k new and about $10k now with 120k miles....I can't really complain at all. Great all around car for the money."