2001 Nissan Maxima

Based on 561 Ratings for the 2000 - 2003 models.

Excellent reliability, fast, quiet, comfortable!

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pros: "Power, fuel economy, reliability"

Cons: "none really - Bose CD changer could be better"

"Really a luxury car with the heart of a sports car. Bought a 2002 model used about 5 years ago and have been extremely pleased. Just minor repairs as expected - brakes, radiator, tires, etc. Roomy interior - backseat is very comfortable with plenty of leg room. Fuel economy is great - easily > 30 mpg on the highway (more like 35 mpg). Very comfortable car; the ride is fantastic and road noise in nil. Powerful too - just bought a late-model Mustang with a V6 and the Maxima will smoke it."

Go with an Accord or Camry instead

By on Friday, August 28, 2009

"When I bought my Maxima I thought I was getting a good value buy. It was quick and responsive, and roomy enough to transport the family. Now, after so many repairs, constant trips to the mechanic, and headache after headache, I can truly say that I will never buy another Nissan product again. I have had numerous problems from the beginning. I purchased my 2001 Maxima brand new at the end of 2000, and within the first year and a half, I had to have the rear shocks replaced. The car was dangerous to drive because you would fishtail and lose the back end after driving over any minor bump. After that it was all downhill. The "Service Engine Soon" light was constantly on, and every time the mechanic thinks he has it fixed, another problem pops up. The worst problem I had was the computer or "brains" of the Maxima went out completely last year, short circuiting and causing a smell of burnt electronics to permeate throughout the car. This completely disabled the car as I was driving it! The accelerator, power steering, radio, a/c, all went dead as I was driving down the street. The only thing that worked was the brakes. Luckily I was able to pull over right away otherwise I would have been stuck in the middle of a busy street. The cost to fix this computer was $2500, and had to be done through the dealer only. Next, a few months later the power steering pump exploded fluid everywhere and had to be replaced. Next, the radiator had to be replaced. Finally, the last straw was the fan and motor had to be replaced. The 2001 Nissan Maxima teases you with its quick acceleration and roomy interior, but lets you down when it comes to overall reliability. I will never purchase another Nissan product, no matter how high the ratings or accolades and awards the company receives. I would much rather go with a Honda or Toyota product instead, simply for the peace of mind."

One of the best vehicles I have owned!

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

Pros: "Very dependable, a pleasure to drive."

Cons: "Wide turn radius"

"I have owned my 2001 SE 20th Anniversary Edition Maxima for a little over 8 years and purchased it from the original owner when it was 5 years old. It has the Bose system and gray leather interior. Dark blue with the factory ground effects that I've only seen on the Anniverary Edition. Through the years I have had to replace a few expensive parts(main computer,MAF sensor,O2 sensors,starter,alternator,struts,wheel bearings),but I would say thats normal up keep on the vehicle. I keep the oil changed when needed. The car is an absolute pleasure to drive! It runs smooth and powerful, and handles the road like a sport sedan should. I prefer the 3.0 motor just because it is such a good running and reliable motor. My first Maxima was a 1999 SE and I would brag on that one just the same. The turning radius on the 2001 is much wider than the '99, which I just had to get use to it. Awsome car!"

10 yrs old, 184k miles and still a blast to drive

By on Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Pros: "great to drive, with the 6 speed manual"

Cons: "some cabin noise"

"Hard to find fault with this car. Even after 11 years and 184,000 miles, I still enjoy driving it. The sporty suspenion is so much more fun to drive than competitors, and the 6 speed manual makes it. Period. The 255 horses are still very strong and gives you plenty of passing power, regardless of where you are (on a winding country road, or running 80 mph on an interstate and need to get around someone). Comfort is good, with good seat bolsters. Both the interior and exterior have aged well (I have taken good care of this, but again, not all of this can be attributed to the owner)."

Unbelievable

By on Monday, July 30, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, reliable, stylish, great handling"

Cons: "a little hit on gas mileage/ typically gets 28 hwy"

"I have owned this car for over a year now. High mileage at 170,000 but it drives like it is brand new. Very reliable, and proves that Japanese cars are the way to go. I can't believe the car is 12 years old! Not only is this car beautiful, but it drives like a dream. And that engine power is fun too. But what puts this over other V6 SE's is the control the driver has. The design of the car gives you full control over the road. Just an amazing feeling driving this car... people are suprised everytime I tell them its 12 years old. The paint and body looks like new. This design by Nissan is a sure classic. I love it!"

very reliable car

By on Thursday, August 18, 2011

"bought new, intended to trade in in 5/6 years. car is still running like new, no reason to trade in for same car and spend $20-25,000. Nissan builds to good of a car. my 300zx is 22 years old and still runs great."

Easy to Repair, So Much Fun to Drive

By on Monday, September 16, 2013

Pros: "body, interior, fun to drive, keeps its value"

Cons: "turn radius, premium gas"

Beach shot

"I owned my 2003 Maxima GLE for three years, rode it every day to school and work. It was the best car I've driven in my life. Smooth as silk, with enough power to beat a Mustang. The body has stayed in style for ten years, where other sedans look like grandma cars now. Nissan did a great job. The inside was comfortable, almost felt like a luxury car. Drop it into third and give it some gas, and you'll be amazed. It was not perfect - the turn radius is horrible, so parking isn't fun. It needed a lot of parts replaced once it turned 150,000. Front bearings, front and rear shocks, alternator, front sway bar bushings, radiator, and windshield fluid pump all gave out within 15,000 miles. But she was easy to work on, and we did all the repairs ourselves with no problems. She runs best on premium, the engine knocks with 87, and doesn't have as much power with 89/91 as with 93. In the end, the car met its demise in a crash, 30 mph into a stopped vehicle. Airbags deployed, no one was injured. I miss it dearly."

Beach shot

Still Running Strong with 250K

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "All around great car"

Cons: "Very unassuming interior looks."

"I am just starting process of looking at replacing my beloved Maxima. Test drove a '07 Civic SI Sedan two days ago. I couldnt believe my '00 Maxima kicked that honda's a**. My clutch has never been replaced and it has way better feel and response than the civic that had 108K. The steering was soft and boring in normal street driving. My Max even though it has a little more body roll due to suspension needing replaced at all four corners still reacts faster and pulls through corners at speed. I also drove an '03 A4 with a V6. No comparison to power my 3.0 still has. Thanks Nissan for making an awesome car that I can fit my three kids into comfortably but still have some fun with when its just me."

MY THIRD MAXIMA

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

"Great Car Great Ride, fast interior leather is thick never wears. My only gripe is it started using oil at about 160k my other two didnt but oh well."

Electrical Issues

By on Saturday, February 06, 2010

"I bought this car new in 2000 (early release 2001 model) and really like the style and pickup. However there seems to be systemic electrical issues with this car. During the warranty period the sunroof motor went out as well as the alternator. After the warranty I had to change the alternator again and the windows groan and are going up very slowly. I just had my first break job at 80k and 9 years, it cost $430. This cars rear rotors should be replaced each time a break job is done, which adds cost to the job. Of course the check engine light comes on ever once and a while. Took it into pep boys and computer said change the oxygen sensor so I did and it went off for a while. It goes on and off as it wishes I don't pay attention anymore. The last problem was a strange noise when the engine shut off. Sounded like a servo turning on and off. I found out that it was an electrical motor mount going bad. I just un plugged it and notice no difference. Maint manual says there are only 2 settings for the motor mount based on the RPM of the engine. When you look at the engine it appears very complicated and this is an example of that design. Who ever heard of electrical motor mounts! In the end I like the car like I said just has electrical problems."