2001 Nissan Maxima

Based on 559 Ratings for the 2000 - 2003 models.

Check whether it's California or Federal spec

By on Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Expensive for what you get, high repair costs"

"As mentioned, check the VIN of the vehicle before you even think of purchasing it. There are 2 different versions of the 2000 Maxima floating around on the market - a California and a Federal version. The VIN number of the vehicle will reflect which version it is and can easily be checked on any search engine. The California version has some additional parts added to the exhaust/emissions system - when they fail, it's more difficult to figure out where the problem originated and much more expensive to get replacement parts. I'm currently in the process of deciding whether mine is worth fixing or not. The repairs needed are necessary to pass emissions and the costs are likely to be roughly 50% of the car's KBB value. This being said, before it started to break down on me it was a pretty nice vehicle. Ample power and quite fun to drive. Fuel economy isn't stellar, but it's far from terrible. I suspect that if I'd gotten a Federal spec vehicle, I'd have nicer things to say about the car. As it stands, though, if the VIN indicates a California spec vehicle then I'd recommend looking at other options."

Such a great vehicle

By on Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great gas mileage for a sports car"

Cons: "Can't think of any"

"I bought this vehicle new in 2003 and it has 196,000 miles on it now. Besides changing the oil, tires and other normal wear, it has been maintenance free. Still getting 30+ MPG highway and averaging 26.5 MPG on a tank of gas. Slight reduction in engine power at this age but still lots of kick. Interior has held up great. Only wear is small crack in leather on drivers seat, I wore through the drivers floor mat with my shoes and the stick shift leather cover pulled away from seam. I would definitely buy another Maxima, new or used."

Sporty with glitches

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "Sporty, decent gas mileage, good power, reliable"

Cons: "Bad ergos, quirky mechanical issues"

"I bought it used in 2005 with 89k miles and it now has 195k. No major repairs and the engine still sounds quiet and smooth. The timing chain design is a nice feature. 222hp gets it up hills in 5th no problem and still returns 28mpg regardless of highway speed. Very quiet too. The SE model has stiffer shocks and the 5 speed which really makes the most of this great engine. Repairs have been minimal with a starter at 125k miles and the CV boots torn at around 150k. AC and heat are still just fine. Various internal plastic parts clearly don't have UV stabilizers and appear to be disintegrating. The car is a dark charcoal color and the clearcoat is coming off the bumper and rear quarter panels, making it look terrible. My major complaint is the terrible driver ergonomics. Even with the tilt set fully up, the steering wheel is literally 8" above my legs, ie in my lap. I'm not a huge guy by any means at 6' but clearly Nissan dropped the ball positioning the wheel so darn low. And yes the seat is fully down. The clutch hose sprung a leak at 150k and made things interesting with the clutch pedal. One minute it would release at the floor, the next toward the top. It's an oft-talked about issue on various forums and I found a new hose to solve it. Part was $48 and took a while to bleed the system. SES light is always on. The two O2 sensor banks don't agree with each other and throw a code. We don't have emissions here but I can see this being a huge headache to those that do. It doesn't affect driveability. Power at nearly 200k is just the same as 89k. Ironically the passenger seating is fantastic with limo-like rear seating. Sometimes I wish someone would drive me around so I could sit in the back and relax. The trunk pass-through is a nice bonus for longer cargo. All switches still work and the auto down/up driver window switch is a nice touch as is the automatic headlights. Lastly it has developed the usual clunk at low speeds over speedbumps and the like. Steering and shocks are still tight so I suspect it's the swaybar bushings. Just a minor irritant really. Overall my car has been reliable and I wouldn't hesitate to go on a long road trip with it, but it hasn't been all roses."

had to let this one go

By on Thursday, December 03, 2009

"I bought my 2001 maxima with 60K plus miles on it with very high hopes, (import girl at heart). it drove well for the first week until the check engine light came on, did all the standard mainenance,ie: brakes, rotars,belts, oil etc. loved the giddie up this car had but had to eventually stop the bleeding. I am jealous of every nissan owner that gave this car 5 stars, God knows i wanted too. Unfortunatley i fall into the category of the nisssan lemon owners. I started replacing sensors, alternators, calipers, the speaker system quit working in the back. I had the same whistling in the back noise another reviewr reported as well as my driver door dropping when i opened it. I also had steering problems due to the steering belt constantly slipping. I kept fixing brand new tires that buckled under the front ends weight (tire seals kept popping), I had MAF issues as well. I live in the northwest so you better know how to drive in bad weather or your in trouble. Long story short, I kept this car for nearly 5 years, put a ton of money into it,I am sure there were more problems then i stated but you get the point. (too many to recall, and very expensive to fix). But still not ready to give up on this car, I kept putting money into it. I ended up replacing two starters, and two alternators, more belts. I am suprised no one else mentioned the enormous electrical problems this car has. i just spent another 400.00 fixing it because I was determined to keep her going until the mechanic told me the computer cannot communicate with the ABS system, and that i now had wheel bearing problems as well. It has been one thing after another with this car and it is a shame, but it has dettered me from buying another Nissan. I just purchased a new impala after much resistance but I am in the car right, it has all fun stuff and luxury the imports provide, it rides great and i was able to afford an extended warranty. I wasn't ready to say goodbye to the old maxima, but I was ready for reliablity, affordabilty, peace of mind and I finally feel good about buying domestic. If you want a nissan buy a new one (or kiss your money goodbye).Although i have to say the reason i am in this chevy right is the value my nissan held even with it's problems it had which i disclosed to the dealer. I didn's want another unsuspecting consumer to get stuck with my old nissan. Take care on the road out there folks. Happy Holidays!"

Amazing car!

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Great value, excellent fuel economy for size/power"

Cons: "Firm ride, wind noise"

"My father bought the 2003 Maxima SE new, I bought it from him. The car has been very reliable. In its 157000 mile life, the only non-wear items I've had to replace are engine mounts and alternator. Fuel economy has been remarkable for a car of this size and performance. I average between 24 and 25 MPG. On highway trips I've seen as good as 30 MPG for a tank. Other than wear items, everything is original. The air still blows cold, and heater hot. I have replaced the struts, breaks, belts, etc. I also had to replace the radiator, thanks to a rock. Rear seat room is excellent. On trips from TX to NY, my daughters would prefer to take my Maxima over my father's Audi A4. And, even with 157000 miles on it, I would not hesitate to make the trip. If you are looking to buy one, I would highly recommend one."