2001 Nissan Maxima

Based on 561 Ratings for the 2000 - 2003 models.

nice sporty car

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2007

"I like my maxima GLE, but it has kind of an airy noise, or sounds like the window or door is open just a crack in the back right side. It's got power and drives smooth. I've had to replace the brakes, Alternator, catalitic convertor, serpintine belt and the fuel filter. I don't know if this is routine for this many miles... (80,000)"

This was a great 4 door sedan

By on Monday, September 03, 2012

Reason: I didn't sell it. it was impounded.

Pros: "Fun car, great on space, lots of power"

Cons: "Hard to work on, maintenance is expensive."

"this car was great to drive and comfortable on long trips. all the features are well thought out in placement. it is a little expensive to work on. and tires are pricey if u get a model with 16" rims. the vehicle has plenty of power. I had the 5speed and got great gas mileage(18-24). I did enjoy this car till it needed repairs."

luxury and speediness!

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pros: "great driving all the way around"

Cons: "not the best on mileage, but it gets 21 a gallon."

"I love this car! It is my first Nissan and it won't be my last! It has just about everything you could want in a car, and the overdrive on it is amazing and saves on gas! You need to go 0 to 50 quick, it'll get you there in seconds! Also, it's comfortable and pretty. :) It has everything you need to feel like you got it all in a car. I'll be looking for another within a year and selling this one."

Love this car

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Smooth ride. Great sound system. 2 cup holders"

Cons: "Plays one CD. Sensor lights are sensitive."

"We bought this car when it was three years old. It has given us very little problems!!! It has a lot of power and decent gas mileage. We have traveled the country in it. It rides smoothly and looks sharp. It has very little rust."

Excellent reliability, fast, quiet, comfortable!

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pros: "Power, fuel economy, reliability"

Cons: "none really - Bose CD changer could be better"

"Really a luxury car with the heart of a sports car. Bought a 2002 model used about 5 years ago and have been extremely pleased. Just minor repairs as expected - brakes, radiator, tires, etc. Roomy interior - backseat is very comfortable with plenty of leg room. Fuel economy is great - easily > 30 mpg on the highway (more like 35 mpg). Very comfortable car; the ride is fantastic and road noise in nil. Powerful too - just bought a late-model Mustang with a V6 and the Maxima will smoke it."

Go with an Accord or Camry instead

By on Friday, August 28, 2009

"When I bought my Maxima I thought I was getting a good value buy. It was quick and responsive, and roomy enough to transport the family. Now, after so many repairs, constant trips to the mechanic, and headache after headache, I can truly say that I will never buy another Nissan product again. I have had numerous problems from the beginning. I purchased my 2001 Maxima brand new at the end of 2000, and within the first year and a half, I had to have the rear shocks replaced. The car was dangerous to drive because you would fishtail and lose the back end after driving over any minor bump. After that it was all downhill. The "Service Engine Soon" light was constantly on, and every time the mechanic thinks he has it fixed, another problem pops up. The worst problem I had was the computer or "brains" of the Maxima went out completely last year, short circuiting and causing a smell of burnt electronics to permeate throughout the car. This completely disabled the car as I was driving it! The accelerator, power steering, radio, a/c, all went dead as I was driving down the street. The only thing that worked was the brakes. Luckily I was able to pull over right away otherwise I would have been stuck in the middle of a busy street. The cost to fix this computer was $2500, and had to be done through the dealer only. Next, a few months later the power steering pump exploded fluid everywhere and had to be replaced. Next, the radiator had to be replaced. Finally, the last straw was the fan and motor had to be replaced. The 2001 Nissan Maxima teases you with its quick acceleration and roomy interior, but lets you down when it comes to overall reliability. I will never purchase another Nissan product, no matter how high the ratings or accolades and awards the company receives. I would much rather go with a Honda or Toyota product instead, simply for the peace of mind."

One of the best vehicles I have owned!

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

Pros: "Very dependable, a pleasure to drive."

Cons: "Wide turn radius"

"I have owned my 2001 SE 20th Anniversary Edition Maxima for a little over 8 years and purchased it from the original owner when it was 5 years old. It has the Bose system and gray leather interior. Dark blue with the factory ground effects that I've only seen on the Anniverary Edition. Through the years I have had to replace a few expensive parts(main computer,MAF sensor,O2 sensors,starter,alternator,struts,wheel bearings),but I would say thats normal up keep on the vehicle. I keep the oil changed when needed. The car is an absolute pleasure to drive! It runs smooth and powerful, and handles the road like a sport sedan should. I prefer the 3.0 motor just because it is such a good running and reliable motor. My first Maxima was a 1999 SE and I would brag on that one just the same. The turning radius on the 2001 is much wider than the '99, which I just had to get use to it. Awsome car!"

10 yrs old, 184k miles and still a blast to drive

By on Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Pros: "great to drive, with the 6 speed manual"

Cons: "some cabin noise"

"Hard to find fault with this car. Even after 11 years and 184,000 miles, I still enjoy driving it. The sporty suspenion is so much more fun to drive than competitors, and the 6 speed manual makes it. Period. The 255 horses are still very strong and gives you plenty of passing power, regardless of where you are (on a winding country road, or running 80 mph on an interstate and need to get around someone). Comfort is good, with good seat bolsters. Both the interior and exterior have aged well (I have taken good care of this, but again, not all of this can be attributed to the owner)."

Unbelievable

By on Monday, July 30, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, reliable, stylish, great handling"

Cons: "a little hit on gas mileage/ typically gets 28 hwy"

"I have owned this car for over a year now. High mileage at 170,000 but it drives like it is brand new. Very reliable, and proves that Japanese cars are the way to go. I can't believe the car is 12 years old! Not only is this car beautiful, but it drives like a dream. And that engine power is fun too. But what puts this over other V6 SE's is the control the driver has. The design of the car gives you full control over the road. Just an amazing feeling driving this car... people are suprised everytime I tell them its 12 years old. The paint and body looks like new. This design by Nissan is a sure classic. I love it!"

very reliable car

By on Thursday, August 18, 2011

"bought new, intended to trade in in 5/6 years. car is still running like new, no reason to trade in for same car and spend $20-25,000. Nissan builds to good of a car. my 300zx is 22 years old and still runs great."

Easy to Repair, So Much Fun to Drive

By on Monday, September 16, 2013

Pros: "body, interior, fun to drive, keeps its value"

Cons: "turn radius, premium gas"

Beach shot

"I owned my 2003 Maxima GLE for three years, rode it every day to school and work. It was the best car I've driven in my life. Smooth as silk, with enough power to beat a Mustang. The body has stayed in style for ten years, where other sedans look like grandma cars now. Nissan did a great job. The inside was comfortable, almost felt like a luxury car. Drop it into third and give it some gas, and you'll be amazed. It was not perfect - the turn radius is horrible, so parking isn't fun. It needed a lot of parts replaced once it turned 150,000. Front bearings, front and rear shocks, alternator, front sway bar bushings, radiator, and windshield fluid pump all gave out within 15,000 miles. But she was easy to work on, and we did all the repairs ourselves with no problems. She runs best on premium, the engine knocks with 87, and doesn't have as much power with 89/91 as with 93. In the end, the car met its demise in a crash, 30 mph into a stopped vehicle. Airbags deployed, no one was injured. I miss it dearly."

Beach shot

Still Running Strong with 250K

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "All around great car"

Cons: "Very unassuming interior looks."

"I am just starting process of looking at replacing my beloved Maxima. Test drove a '07 Civic SI Sedan two days ago. I couldnt believe my '00 Maxima kicked that honda's a**. My clutch has never been replaced and it has way better feel and response than the civic that had 108K. The steering was soft and boring in normal street driving. My Max even though it has a little more body roll due to suspension needing replaced at all four corners still reacts faster and pulls through corners at speed. I also drove an '03 A4 with a V6. No comparison to power my 3.0 still has. Thanks Nissan for making an awesome car that I can fit my three kids into comfortably but still have some fun with when its just me."

MY THIRD MAXIMA

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

"Great Car Great Ride, fast interior leather is thick never wears. My only gripe is it started using oil at about 160k my other two didnt but oh well."

Electrical Issues

By on Saturday, February 06, 2010

"I bought this car new in 2000 (early release 2001 model) and really like the style and pickup. However there seems to be systemic electrical issues with this car. During the warranty period the sunroof motor went out as well as the alternator. After the warranty I had to change the alternator again and the windows groan and are going up very slowly. I just had my first break job at 80k and 9 years, it cost $430. This cars rear rotors should be replaced each time a break job is done, which adds cost to the job. Of course the check engine light comes on ever once and a while. Took it into pep boys and computer said change the oxygen sensor so I did and it went off for a while. It goes on and off as it wishes I don't pay attention anymore. The last problem was a strange noise when the engine shut off. Sounded like a servo turning on and off. I found out that it was an electrical motor mount going bad. I just un plugged it and notice no difference. Maint manual says there are only 2 settings for the motor mount based on the RPM of the engine. When you look at the engine it appears very complicated and this is an example of that design. Who ever heard of electrical motor mounts! In the end I like the car like I said just has electrical problems."

By on Saturday, January 05, 2008

"I bought my Maxima with 8 miles on it and currently have 120k. So far nothing has broken except for the chip that controls the A/C blower, but it was a two screw repair and $100. The only complaint I have ever had is the noise as the SE has bigger wheels and the road and wind noise is a little bit of a pain. When considering that it was worth $25k new and about $10k now with 120k miles....I can't really complain at all. Great all around car for the money."

Love it!

By on Tuesday, September 04, 2007

"I really don't have any big complaints about this vehicle. I purchased it used in December 2006 with 40,000 miles on it. I have put another 20k on. I drive an hour to work every day, so it's nice to have a car that's good on gas mileage as this car is. Although the summer has been so hot, using all the a/c I do, I get about 23 mpg. On cooler days I get around 30 mpg. What I love best about this car is its speed and handling. I raced the car totally stock in autocross races and consistently beat 350z's, BMW 3 series, and Subaru WRX's. After racing all day, it still drives home like a dream...with five adults in comfort! If I can make it last, I will drive this car forever."

I love this car!!!

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"I now have 65000 on my Maxima and I'm ready for my next one. My family loves this car for its roommy interior, hugh trunk, neat features and I love it for its PERFORMANCE. This is a sports car hiding inside the skin of a family car. It's truly a DRIVER's CAR. The performance is unbelieveable for a 5 passenger 4 door family sedan. Even the mileage is good at 20 around town and 26-28 on the highway. The sport suspension is a little stiff for a family car, but I think that's what gives is such good performance in the mountains and flat out on the highway. And flat out is no problem for the Maxima. So, if you like a softer ride Maxima's not for you, but if you like to dirve (hard) and get there in a hurry, this ride's for you. On a recent trip to Las Vegas I had it up and running without any problems or concerns. It was like it was glued to the road. We got there after 9 hours of hard driving and it wasn't even breathing hard. My only regret was buying the 100,000 mile extended warrany. It was a complete waste of money. I've never used it. In fact, the only time I ever raised the hood was to do the regular service. The only problem I've had is a quirky passenger door window that was never bad enough to fix. The only suggestion I can make to Nissan is to improve the comfort level of the seats. and the screwey power seat controls. But this minor compared to the overall car. I love it and will buy another one as soon as I sell this one."

I would buy another one for sure!

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "Powerful and fun to drive. Very dependable"

Cons: "I don't love the turning radius nor torque steer"

"I bought this car with 77k miles on it and it now has nearly 200k and still going strong. I've never had a major problem with it other than the cd player head unit. the engine has always burned a bit of oil but nothing major. Very strong car."

By on Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Pros: "Best deal for the money and fun to drive a plus!"

Cons: "CD systems could be better."

"I bought this demo '03 Maxima 1/30/2002. It had 19,000mi at the time.Never had any problems until It approached 190000mi. Had to replace two trans computers.Cost was$1,300.00 ofr repairs.Had to change out all hoses and belts at 100,000mi.I just kept up the maintainence on the car by keeping up with the oowners manual. Kept oil changed regularly.Flushing all liquid systems at 100,000mi.CD quit in 2010,left park light cover cracked. All in all, I just drove it. The 3.5 engine has all the power one needs for any highway. Best car I've ever owned!Sorry,but I have no pics. It is white with a spoiler."

5 speed,3.0L,This car is fast,comfortableafordable

By on Monday, December 05, 2011

Pros: "Quick,comfortable,sporty"

Cons: "Cop magnet, blacked out.140mph speeding ticket."

"I have always loved Maximas there luxurious,sporty,Good price range,Mine is only worth 3,000 dollars and I feel like its worth alot more because of its reliability."

RIP

By on Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pros: "Very peppy, great price, expensive details, roomy."

Cons: "It was a GLE but didn't have heated seats."

"My beautiful Nissan Maxima got totaled by a school bus yesterday (with me in it). I am sure going to miss this car. Never had one problem in 8 years. The interior was beautiful, the leather looked amazing this whole time. I wanted them to fix it but it got crunched from both ends. It held up well in the crash. Wish I could get another one just like it!"

Very dependable, comfortable, fast vehicle i ever

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Pros: "fast, comfortable luxury inside, very safe"

Cons: "no complaints"

"I have had this car for 4 years and had no problems with it at all. The car is an excellent car. It has the speed and comfort a real driver needs. Very reliable with minor upkeep. I would recommend this car to anyone. ;)"

Neighbours Envy Owners Pride

By on Monday, August 29, 2011

"Its a great car with a lot of comfort. A pleasure to drive. I see no point in trading this car for a new one!"

best i've had so far

By on Thursday, December 30, 2010

"The 2001 is nearly identical to the 2000 that I currently own both inside and out. This car has all the amenities of a luxury car. Is almost identical to it's upgrade the Infinity of the same year (which my daughter has) which has a few little extra's in it's interior. Car handles well on the highway, on turns, is comfortable and hit's the back of the legs comfortably. Holds more fuel than it's newer version which means less time at the pump. Fuel expenditure isn't bad for the power this little car has. It accelerates nicely when taken care of. Get the oil changes regularly and keep up with the maintenance and it will last a very long time. I like the 2000 and 2001 better than the newer versions although I haven't yet driven the 2010 or 2011. It does handle better than the 2006 models. I have a 2000 which I am keeping and looking to purchase the 2001 as a second car. I will buy a car cover though because the leather does dry out if the car is always exposed to the sun such as mine is here in FL."

other than "little things", a very good car

By on Tuesday, August 17, 2010

"I owned my 2002 Maxima SE for 3 yrs. and this car was very good to me. My biggest (and perhaps only) complaint was the "Service Engine Soon" light was ALWAYS on! These cars are infamous for this and everyone I met in passing with this same car all had this light on too. The car's performance was not affected though, but try to get an inspection sticker! You'll have to get nailed by a Nissan dealer somwhere to fix the phantom problem that trips this warning light. Still an awesome car though but be warned about this problem before you buy one!"