2000 Nissan Maxima

Based on 565 Ratings for the 2000 - 2003 models.

Great Value

By on Saturday, April 4, 2009

"I bought a 2000 with 83,000 miles on it for my 16 year old daughter. Was lucky to find it (and be only 2nd owner) and paid a bargain $5000. I swear it handles and has power almost as good as my Lexus ! Was only going to put minimal insurance on it, but now am putting more, because I would be sick if this beautiful car was wrecked...."

By on Sunday, March 2, 2008

"The Maxima offers a lot of personality for a sedan. I bought mine as it was the only roomy sedan I could find with a manual transmission. It's kind of like getting a Lexus or Infinity without the snob appeal. Grown adult back seat passengers marvel at the amount of legroom and comfortable seats. I'm at about 90,000 miles with only minor issues, including an exhaust repair, new tires, CD player and replaced the alternator. The Bose 6 disc changer is a littly boomy on the bass, weak on vocals, and can skip in cold weather. Some songs sound great, others just good. It's repairable, but not cheap. The dealer can't fix it, go to a custom stereo shop and they can send it out. Handling is amazing, even with so many miles on the original suspension. The SE model handles great without being too harsh on all but the worst roads. The manual transmission makes the car an absolute blast to drive. The motor is unstoppable and smooth. It starts in the coldest Wisconsin mornings. The automatic climate control is very nice, although the heater never blows as hot as my wife's Jetta. I've replaced the OEM Bridgestone Potenzas with a similar but different tire from the Potenza line... The Bridgestone Potenza "Pole Position" gives the car an even firmer, sportier ride. The OEM and my replacement tires are good in all but the deepest snow. It took 8" of fluffy snow over icy packed snow before I got it stuck this winter, and in all fairness, my neighbor with a 4x4 truck was stuck too."

Nice but a guzzler

By on Wednesday, December 12, 2007

"Nice ride, power, comfort. Horrible gas mileage though and large turning radius"

Bad MPG

By on Thursday, December 6, 2007

"Great car. Bought it with salvage title (had been in a bad hail storm) with 59k miles on it. Heated leather, heated steering wheel, all bells and whistles. The biggest negative is the awful MPG. Anywhere from 14-22 MPG...not bad, if I were driving a Suburban. The computer on the dash even lies, it's always 3-4 MPG higher than the real one? I also wish it wasn't such a stiff ride, but the performance is incredible. I guess if you want both, you buy Mercedes or Lexus. I would recommend to anyone, just watch the MPG."

Fast and Comfortable

By on Sunday, September 16, 2007

"Bought this car used, have put over 30,000 miles on it with only one problem - the air flow meter went bad, and was killing the car when i shifted into neutral. with that fixed, i now have no complaints. the car has excellent acceleration (especially with the 5 speed), smooth cornering, a good ride, great interior amenities and layout, acceptable fuel mileage, great styling, and is simply fun to drive. the only thing i would change would be the turning radius - it is HUGE. i recommend this car to anyone who enjoys to drive."

Solid then solid now

By on Wednesday, August 8, 2007

"I have had this car since the day it first came off the lot. After 160,000 miles it still has the acceleration, the ride, the reliability I was looking for 7 1/2 years ago."

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"Very reliable used car for communte to and from work. No issues with mechanics and drives smooth. Great all around car to have."

Reliable and Poweful 4 Door Sports Car

By on Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Pros: "Fair Price, Luxurious (GLE Model), Heated Seats"

Cons: "Suspension, Low amp on BOSE, Burns gas"

"The 2000 Nissan Maxima is one of the better cars I've driven in the last 8 years. I'm happy to own one and call it mine. Just use good oil, keep up with maintenance, and you'll have a reliable vehicle."

Overall very reliable comfortable ride

By on Monday, August 26, 2013

Pros: "Looks great, rides great, very reliable"

Cons: "O2 sensors problems, wide turn circle"

"Really impressive reliability. Regret not going with the standard or anniversary edition due to wanting a more sporty effect. Only a 3 speed automatic transmission. Sliding sunroof would stain ceiling due to water leak from automated car washes. Overall for 13 years has been problem free except for one O2 sensor servicing required which was paid for with extended warranty."

Great car.

By on Sunday, May 6, 2012

Pros: "Good car for price."

Cons: "Gas mileage."

"Only problem in 12 years is a muffler and 1 battery"

Great car

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "good performance, well built, enjoyed this car"

"Very minor repairs over 10 years - mostly normal wear and tear. CD player had intermittent "skipping" issue that was never repaired by dealer."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pros: "Great handling, good gas mileage, powerful, beauty"

Cons: "Repairs are expensive"

"Mine has over 160K miles on it. A fluke occured and damaged the piston rings, I am currently spending more than what the car books at to get the engine rebuilt. Because I love the car and anything else that I could get at the same price as rebuilding my engine would never come close to comparing to the Maxima. I drive a lot, she has never left me stranded, always a great/comfortable ride. Always the power I need when I need it. The styling is beautiful, people ask if I want to sell it. I wish I could afford for my next car to be the same only new. Its all you could ask for in a 4 door sports car."

This is my favorite vehicle

By on Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pros: "Leg room, head room, truck capacity,"

Cons: "Not at the moment"

"I have been a driver for three decades now and this Maxima is by far the best vehicle I have owned. I have owned Toyota, Honda, (several models of each over the years) and my Maxima is by far the most comfortable and ergonomically pleasing vehicle of all of them. I have put nearly 230,000 miles on mine in 10 year and the major problems have been regular oil changes and new tires. The car has been a blessing in a time when every penny counts. I hope to put 400,000 miles on it. When it can't go any further I am going to buy another one just like it(newer model of course). I would be crazy not to."

Good service with strong engine. Minimal repairs.

By on Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pros: "Great to drive. Strong engine and transmission"

Cons: "Catalytic converters. Rust."

"We have had this car since it was new. The vehicle is fun to drive and has been reliable. With 11 salty winters in the Boston area the rust is showing on the rear fenders. At 50,000 miles a catalytic converter was replaced under warranty. Now at 108,000 it needs one again - don't know if it is the same one or the other (car has two). This is a shame as the car runs very well and we wanted to keep it going but this expense plus a rusted out support member under the radiator are driving us to replace it."

Reliable

By on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pros: "Good price for foreign auto"

"I have a 2000 maxima and it's still going. Only maintenance issues overall with both, no major work. I bought another Nissan and love my altima coupe as well. Nice looking cars!"

Best car I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive and handles great"

Cons: "would like more bells and whistles!"

"Bought this car 2 years old @ 54000 miles from someone who special ordered 5 speed transmission. It has been a joy to drive every time I get in it. Handles like a race car. It will pass most anything on the road and rides smooth. I can't say enough good things about this car. It still looks new inside and out! I am on the road most of the time and have never had any trouble with it. Thinking about selling only because of the mileage, but HATE to part with it."

smooth and powerful!

By on Wednesday, September 28, 2011

"very reliable we have had no major issues just had to replace brakes tires battery and radiator had some seepage so we had that replaced. it averages 19 to 22 mpg city and 27 to 33 hwy.not bad for a 3.5 v6 engine. very good quality leather still like new. just an awesome car!"

Nissans flagship

By on Wednesday, January 5, 2011

"I bought my 2003 Maxima brand new. It never had any major problems. Plenty of power, decent gas milage, great sound and good value for the money. The minuses are: The turn radius is very limited compare to older Maximas. For eight years the check engine light came on just once, and went off by itself after a while. The fuel tank cap wasn't tight enough and low fuel coused it. The brakes are very responsive but feels like are too small for that size of car and excessive wear to rotors and pads. The struts are not very good too, and a lot of outside noise while driving freeway with no music. The paint isn,t very good the rear bumper got all scratch in no time. The rest is fine, fun to drive."

Problems

By on Monday, June 21, 2010

"This car has constantly had issues with service engine lights, sensors, computer, etc. After doing just five minutes of research by google, I came to see pretty quickly that these issues are VERY common with this car. Not to mention the fact that the 2000 model is the only model that will only run with a 2000 model computer (other model computers are interchangeable with different year model cars). Obviously, Nissan new there was a problem with this model, and instead of doing a recall, just fixed the problem (hopefully for those of you with an '01) the next year."

still love it

By on Wednesday, April 7, 2010

"2k2 6spd. owned since new. I still love this car. Only 1 problem (radio) in 8+ yrs. Comfortable to drive for any distance. Engine is smooth, smooth, smooth... Just now starting to show its age - a hint of rust on the rear wheel wells but not bad considering I drive in the worst winter conditions in New York state where salt is used like there is no tomorrow."

Great Car!

By on Sunday, April 4, 2010

"I am the second owner of a 2001 GLE, purchased at about 60k miles. This is probably the best car I have owned, maybe except for my 1992 Nissan Sentra. The car has about 160K and has had no major issues. I have been told the engine is "bullet proof" and should last for several more miles/years. The cars ride, power, feel are all excellent. Great car!"

great engine and drive train.

By on Thursday, February 25, 2010

"This vehicle has been touble free, just scheduled maintainence. The seats and interior have been super, no problems to date."

get one

By on Saturday, January 23, 2010

"bought in 2000 new, still love it, a few problems but overall great car, its been everwhere and hasn't ever let us down"

The best car you will EVER own!

By on Tuesday, December 15, 2009

"This is my 4th Maxima, I have had every style up til 03! I have averaged about 200k on each of them and only had to replace a starter! So reliable. I drive 4-5k a month and I have never had back problems because the seats are so comfortable too. I should also mention that I hit a deer on the freeway going 70MPH and I was able to drive my car home, no one could believe my car and I survived a buck deer at 70mph! So Safe, Reliable and Comfortable!"

Great car, some disappointments.

By on Friday, November 13, 2009

"Bought this 2001 SE at 44,500 mi when off lease. No problems up to 100K miles and very responsive and fun to drive. (Replaced 1 pair of O2 sensors & AC compressor at 60K miles.) Replaced front struts, alternator, front left axle btw 105K and 110K miles. MPG is 19 around town, 26-27 hwy. Roomy interior. My only big disappointment is body rust. Since about 80K miles, rust has been growing thru paint on both rear fenders above the wheel wells. This car has been garaged between drives. I previously owned a '95 Maxima for 9 years with no garage, and had zero rust. I am confident that this car's engine and drive train will last for many more years, but the body is of lesser quality. Will look to trade in for another vehicle in Spring 2010. Another Nissan? Probably not this time."