2000 Nissan Maxima

Based on 544 Ratings for the 2000 - 2003 models.

Most reliable vehicle

By on Sunday, March 16, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, worth every penny."

Cons: "Radio electrical."

"2001 Nissan Maxima, I have owned this car for the last 9 years and it has been the most reliable vehicle that I have owned. At over 230K miles it still runs like new. Turns on every morning without any trouble. Only minor electrical problems with the radio and subwoofer of the Bose system. With good maintenance engine and transmission should last another 200k."

Great car!

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "Reliability galore!"

"Bot this car in 2010 used at 50K miles. Been a very reliable vehicle with no major issues. I can't remember any issues at present with the exception of the stainless steel muffler coming unwelded. Cost was $65 to reweld it, after another muffler shop said it had to be replaced for $$$$$. Stainless lasts forever, no need for replacement. I live in WI and this winter has been brutal with wind chills to -47. No problem starting up this 14 yr old car or any other issues. I would buy it all over again, if had the chance."

love my car

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "It's a powerful, sleek, comfortable, reliable car"

Cons: "Clear coat wore off, coils need to be replaced."

"I bought this in 2009 for $7500 with 85k on it. I'm now at 145K and I plan to keep it until 200K. I love it. Cons: The leather on the shifter has deteriorated, the cruise control doesn't work anymore, I had the stereo replaced, it's seems to leak transmission fluid, and the clear coat on the hood and spoiler has worn away (but I do live in Florida). As for maintenance, I get regular oil changes, I had the radiator replaced and some coils. Those were the costly repairs. After 60k miles, I need new tires. The things I love are the leather, the black on black combo with tinted windows, the power, the value, the manual shift, the 20th Anniversary Edition, the automatic headlights and it handles great. Pros: It's a powerful, sleek, comfortable and reliable car. Yes, I would get another one just like it. Yes, I would get another Maxima or an Altima 3.5, black on black with leather."

luxury and speediness!

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pros: "great driving all the way around"

Cons: "not the best on mileage, but it gets 21 a gallon."

"I love this car! It is my first Nissan and it won't be my last! It has just about everything you could want in a car, and the overdrive on it is amazing and saves on gas! You need to go 0 to 50 quick, it'll get you there in seconds! Also, it's comfortable and pretty. :) It has everything you need to feel like you got it all in a car. I'll be looking for another within a year and selling this one."

one of if not the best car i ever owned

By on Sunday, January 05, 2014

Pros: "everything you could ever want in a car, awsome"

Cons: "a little costly to repair"

"It will be hard to ever drive anything less, this car spoiled me. A quality ride with all the comfort and conveniences you could want. Quality and reliability , so easy to drive and handles like a dream. I will surly miss my heated seats and steering wheel this winter. So reliable my son is buying the car from me at 170000 miles and it will most likely keep going for years to come."

Reliable and Poweful 4 Door Sports Car

By on Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Pros: "Fair Price, Luxurious (GLE Model), Heated Seats"

Cons: "Suspension, Low amp on BOSE, Burns gas"

"The 2000 Nissan Maxima is one of the better cars I've driven in the last 8 years. I'm happy to own one and call it mine. Just use good oil, keep up with maintenance, and you'll have a reliable vehicle."

Gen 5 base model

By on Monday, December 16, 2013

Reason: Chronic valve oil seal leakage burns 2 quarts per tank

Pros: "Reliable car (to a point). Many options, standard"

Cons: "Handling not as good as Gen 3, 4"

"This was a great car. Always got me from point A to B. The only problem with this car that extends out of typical maintenance is a design flaw that Nissan never admitted to (in efforts to avoid recall). It's probably the only reasons why seeing this model on the road is becoming more and more rare. There is a top side valve seal that is prone to failure. Without it the engine will burn up to 2 quarts of oil per fuel tank as the oil seeps down into the cylinder. In turn this will wreak havoc on the O2 sensors and smog testing. The car was quick for what it was. As a DIY mechanic... Typical maintenance (ie alternator, radiator leaks, other common brand nameless failures) sometimes became difficult to track down. This in the case of an apparent common ignition coil failure where each cylinder has it's own coil. I did not have Consult II reader however, the OBD codes often would miss lead you to other problems. Other times, the actual problems would be non-related to the actual component failure. I do not know if this is a common issue with ALL brand names. However, having to track down the ignition coil failure is where I discovered in order to replace the rear spark plugs, you must disassemble and remove the entire air intake manifold (plenum). I'm not sure whether to consider this an engineering flaw, their quick work around or wishful thinking. I changed out the rear coils by myself in 20 minutes through other car owner tips and tricks (nissanforums.com) but it was a job not for the faint hearted DIY'er. In the end, it was the valve oil seal fix that tips the scale for cost/effectiveness in repairing and keeping the vehicle over scraping the car. The remainder of typical engine wear, from what I have seen, would have let the car easily reach 250,000 or even 500,000 miles. Overall, great car to acquire but prepare for new heads, preferably one with a working oil seal solution. Notably the valve seal issue was unknown to me at the time, until I had the car serviced by a "professional". For some reason unknown to "reason" the mechanic only put 2 quarts of oil in (oil would drip or splash onto the dip stick tube and make it difficult to see how much oil is in the pan). this caused the engine to over heat and apparently burn the oil seal. My Base model had nice optional features that came standard. Loved the auto-dimming rear view mirror and 3 channel garage door opener in the visor. Power seats. Even the bottom line audio sounded half way decent (to a condescending audiophile)"

Love this car

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Smooth ride. Great sound system. 2 cup holders"

Cons: "Plays one CD. Sensor lights are sensitive."

"We bought this car when it was three years old. It has given us very little problems!!! It has a lot of power and decent gas mileage. We have traveled the country in it. It rides smoothly and looks sharp. It has very little rust."

very nice sedan

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "more space than you expect with a luxury touch"

Cons: "not the best gas saver"

"nice medium car very comfortable with excellent driving stability"

no regrets

By on Friday, November 01, 2013

Pros: "great power, comfortable, good on gas, bose sound"

Cons: "road noise, torque steer, prefers premium gas"

"I just hit 200000 miles on my 2000 Maxima SE and this engine is still going strong(I think it was one of the best V-6 engines ever!).This car has respectable power and is quite reliable. Other than the replacement of an occasional ignition coil, it's definitely a keeper."

See if you qualify for