1998 Nissan Maxima

Based on 524 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

Most reliable

By on Monday, February 7, 2011

"Bought this '98 in 2003 with 67k. It now has over 176k and has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I keep up with maintenance and repair before broken. I have put the equivalent of 2 car payments per year into this car and it has never left me stranded. Today it still drives straight and true and the engine growls when you get on the pedal. The VQ engine never burns oil or loses any power over time as long as you keep it up. I have replaced a partial exhaust, and front and rear struts. Nothing else major. My mechanic says its good for 300k. The paint is still beautiful and there is no rust. An amazing feat for a MN car. As much as I want to drive a newer car there are few features I am wanting for because this was loaded with power everything, heated seats, power sunroof, spoiler, Bose, etc. We also have a 1996 in similar condition and a 2000. The 2000 is more comfortable but has not been as reliable as the '95-'99 model."

Great, Dependable car

By on Friday, November 5, 2010

"I bought my Maxima in 1998 brand new and it was a great 1st purchase for me as a 23yr old. I have been driving it for 12 years straight now and never had any mechanical problems with it until after the 10th year. Truly a great value when you consider most people replace their cars after 5-6 years. I got 2 cars worth out of it, in my opinion. I'm not sure if Nissan makes them this well anymore but if you find a Maxima with low mileage from this era (late 1990s) then I would jump on it. Notes: Drove through hurricane winds, sleet, and all kinds of conditions in this vehicle with no problems."

Best car I've owned

By on Saturday, February 7, 2009

"I have owned this Max for 10 years. The styling is beautiful and the attention to detail is exceptional. It is a bit under powered with the 3.0 when fully loaded and using A.C. I notice that the newer models have more H.P. This year had weak ignition coils that fail about 90k. I replaced all six and it runs like a dream. Nothing else had to be done other that normal maint. I hope to drive this car for years to come."

Incredible Travel Companion

By on Sunday, December 14, 2008

"Fantastic vehicle, used as a field service car on a daily basis; purchased in fall of 2002 with approx. 31,000 miles, now have over 240,000 (virtually trouble free) miles and averaging 19 MPG city, 24-25 MPG highway. Everything still works as it should and still runs long, hard and strong. Hate to think about the inevitable...."

Great Vehicle!

By on Monday, October 13, 2008

"I've been sole owner my 5 speed 1998 Maxima and have no intention of selling it anytime soon. It has required only a new muffler and new tires in the last 10 years. When inflating the tires to the max recommendation, I get 33 miles hwy at an ave speed of 55mph - and 26 in town. I highly recommend this car, Car annoyances: The cup holders are lacking and the sunvisor can hit your head during its manipulation."