1996 Nissan Maxima

Based on 519 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

Best car I've owned

By on Saturday, February 07, 2009

"I have owned this Max for 10 years. The styling is beautiful and the attention to detail is exceptional. It is a bit under powered with the 3.0 when fully loaded and using A.C. I notice that the newer models have more H.P. This year had weak ignition coils that fail about 90k. I replaced all six and it runs like a dream. Nothing else had to be done other that normal maint. I hope to drive this car for years to come."

Incredible Travel Companion

By on Sunday, December 14, 2008

"Fantastic vehicle, used as a field service car on a daily basis; purchased in fall of 2002 with approx. 31,000 miles, now have over 240,000 (virtually trouble free) miles and averaging 19 MPG city, 24-25 MPG highway. Everything still works as it should and still runs long, hard and strong. Hate to think about the inevitable...."

Great Vehicle!

By on Monday, October 13, 2008

"I've been sole owner my 5 speed 1998 Maxima and have no intention of selling it anytime soon. It has required only a new muffler and new tires in the last 10 years. When inflating the tires to the max recommendation, I get 33 miles hwy at an ave speed of 55mph - and 26 in town. I highly recommend this car, Car annoyances: The cup holders are lacking and the sunvisor can hit your head during its manipulation."

Worth every dollar!

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2008

"My 1995 Maxima has just rolled 260,000 miles on it. No, that's NOT a "typo," it's really got that many miles on it. I took it in just today for new brake pads, etc. and every mechanic there came over to "see to believe" how amazing this car still looks, runs and performs for its' age. I bought this car used last year from its' original owner. They kept perfect maintenance records for it and gave it the respect it deserves. My 19 year old daughter doesn't truly understand what a "prize" she drives every day. I do offer to trade her for my 2005 Tucson, but she says gas is too expensive.... imagine that!"

By on Tuesday, July 15, 2008

"Bought my 99 SE Ltd used at 40k miles and one year old...today it is has 180k+ and is still running strong. All switches, guages, etc work fine after 9 years. Have only had to replace a heater fan circuit. Overall car runs fine, but I have had a persistent recurring problem for years with intermittent rough running/check engine light on high humidity/high temp days in the summer. Dealer can not identify problem. Initial problem with a spark coil almost cost me an entire ignition wiring harness as the problem was repeatedly misdiagnosed. Car looks good for 90's Japanese styling Handles quite nicely in dry weather...but light rear end causes problems in rain and this car is terrible in the snow."

Never An Issue

By on Sunday, July 22, 2007

"After totalling my Honda Accord in 2003, I was looking for another Accord. My friend is a Sales Manager at a dealership, and while I was test driving Hondas, he heard that I was a huge fan of Maximas. He informed me that he had just acquired a 1999 Maxima SE as a trade in. The car had never seen the winter, and only had 22k mikes on it, with only one previous owner. I still have this car, and it has been everything I could ask for and more. I now have 145,000 miles on it, and beyond some minor exhaust/tailpipe repair, and some brake work, I have never had an issue with it. The brake work was primarily because of winter usage and the open alloy rims. Other than that, $800-1000 is not much to spend on a car that I have put over 100k on in 3-4 years. I love it and will most likely be a Nissan buyer for life."

Bought a week ago. I love it

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

Pros: "Awesome drive, sporty for a sedan"

"Ive never owned nor particularly ever liked Nissan. I bought this as a secondary vehicle. Originally looking at older Lexus and BMW. Went to look at a 92 Lexus and came home with my 96 Maxima. Comfort and luxury wise it is right up there with the Lexus. The leather and woodgrain dont look cheap or like theyre just an add on. Only thing ive replaced so far is an A/C trim bezel that was broken when i bought the car. Cheap and easy fix thanks to ebay. For an 18 year old car it has aged gracefully."

great car! 240K miles

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Pros: "car wont die"

Cons: "rust"

"I have a 5 speed with 240k miles on mine and its still going strong. Has lots of power and gets good gas mileage. I have beat on this car for years and it just wont die. Only prob is rust everywhere! if you can keep it garaged it would run forever wish I could keep it to see how many more miles it will get. Sad to see it go"

Loved this car, hate to say goodbye

By on Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pros: "Dependable--- 250.000 miles and the ENGINE is fine"

Cons: "Not sporty"

"My first impression was that it was a little stodgy, not as sporty as my 1991 Nissan. But it has grown on me, and has been unbelievably dependable. Now, the electronics are slowly going haywire--- the door locks, the automatic windows, etc--- and it is going to cost more to fix than it's worth. But I have driven brand new rental cars on vacation, usually economy cars, and when I get home I think, good heavens, this old beater still drives better than those new ones!"

Love this car!

By on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pros: "Long life"

Cons: "Gas mileage ( but the power is worth it)"

"This is my first car, I got it used at around 150,000 miles. It has been such a champ for me. The coils are starting to go out and I've been told that is one of the only weak spots in the maximas. I don't want to give it up though!"