1996 Nissan Maxima

Based on 513 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

great car! 240K miles

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Pros: "car wont die"

Cons: "rust"

"I have a 5 speed with 240k miles on mine and its still going strong. Has lots of power and gets good gas mileage. I have beat on this car for years and it just wont die. Only prob is rust everywhere! if you can keep it garaged it would run forever wish I could keep it to see how many more miles it will get. Sad to see it go"

Excellent for student / with-in city

By on Friday, September 27, 2013

Pros: "You will enjoy the car."

Cons: "All convenience"

"Excellent car for a student or some one who wants to use with in city."

great car for the price, power, comfort,

By on Saturday, September 07, 2013

I want this car

Pros: "nice ride, very quick, dependable. parts."

Cons: "door lock actuators.."

"love this car,buy if you can still find one !!!"

This car is a godsend!

By on Thursday, September 05, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, dependable, easy to maintain."

Cons: "Clock and radio light faded away. Oh darn..."

"When I bought this car six years ago, it only had 75,000 miles on it. Now, I got it up to 129,000 and it is as dependable as ever. With routine maintenance there is no reason she couldn't last at least ten more years. It's a smooth ride with good power and maneuverability. I recently inherited a car from '03 with less mileage, and I'm going to stick with my Maxima."

Great car.......

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "Most bang for your buck and Great ride"

Cons: "Check engine light on and off ,better MPG"

"I have own this car just over a year and love it. I had an accord 94 .This car is much better I did replace 2 tires, frt brakes, starter, muffler and battery,O2 sensor and fender with the price of the car I am still under 2k total. It is picky on the gas you use and mileage is 16/23 with premium.10 to 1 compression Let me tell you it is worth it. More pep that the Honda with vtec 50 more HP. Amazing that the resale is so low. Great car for 2nd car or someone first. Look for parts on eBay. If you want a great car Buy one you will be glad that you did. Skip the Honda and Camary ."

Best vehicle ever!

By on Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive; steady; good engine; speed."

"I bought this car when it had 102,000 on it and I'm up to 193,000. The car is still fashionable and it has the get up and go when you need it. Those six cylinders really work for you. The car is very steady and i love my stick shift! It's comfortable on long trips and is quite roomy. I have the original radio/CD and the speakers are really good. All in all, I am very happy with this car and wish I could keep her forever!"

Loved this car, hate to say goodbye

By on Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pros: "Dependable--- 250.000 miles and the ENGINE is fine"

Cons: "Not sporty"

"My first impression was that it was a little stodgy, not as sporty as my 1991 Nissan. But it has grown on me, and has been unbelievably dependable. Now, the electronics are slowly going haywire--- the door locks, the automatic windows, etc--- and it is going to cost more to fix than it's worth. But I have driven brand new rental cars on vacation, usually economy cars, and when I get home I think, good heavens, this old beater still drives better than those new ones!"

BEST CAR I EVER OWNED

By on Saturday, July 13, 2013

Pros: "PAID PENNYS FOR THE OVERAL USE OF THE CAR"

Cons: "TWO CUP HOLDERS CENTER CONSOLE"

"THIS IS THE BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED, I BOUGHT IT WITH 136,000 AND HAVE HAD IT FOR 5 YEARS . I HAVE TAKEN IT TO 244,756 AND STILL GOING STRONG WITH NO SMOKE OR OIL LEAKING, STRONG, FAST, RELIABLE CAR EVER. I WOULD BUY ANOTHER ONE BUT I DONT NEED ANOTHER. THIS ONE STILL RUNS LIKE NEW AND I AM GOING FOR A MILLON MILES AND I THINK IT WILL DO IT WITH PROPPER MAINTENENCE AND OIL CHANGES AWSOME TOTALLY AWSOME !!!!!! I PAID 2,200 AND ITS WORTH EVERY PENNY!AND ITS THE ONLY STICK IN THE FOUR STATE AREA WILL BE A CLASSIC SOME DAY SOON"

Safe & Reliable, my baby forever

By on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pros: "Great gas, control & first car"

Cons: "Minorprblms overtime; clock/radio light out, AC..."

"Great car, the best visibility I've ever seen (no pun intended) for any car, especially since all these new cars have such tiny windows making for low visibility. It's the only car I've ever owned, but it's also the only car I'll ever want to own. Wonderful for first time drivers too! A lot of people at my community college have this car. Affordable and good gas mileage, especially with the overdrive feature. I'll cry the day this car dies or I have to let it go. They just don't make cars like this anymore."

I wish they still made cars like this.

By on Friday, May 03, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, good mpg, fabulous engine, solid"

"I have loved driving all of the 230k miles on this car. It is fun to drive, safe, reliable and still sporty after all these years. The engine still has kick, everything works, the paint is still good and there is no rust - and I live at high elevation with a lot of salt on the roads in the winter. The leather is still supple, carpets have held up well, and no one believes she is 18 years old. The only problems I have had were with dash lights; the low fuel light went out early on and recently the heater lights did as well. I am happy to pass this down to my daughter who will get her license soon. I know she will be well-protected in it and will enjoy it as much as I have. I think I can she can get another 70k miles on my 'Maxie'."

When of the best cars I owned

By on Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Pros: "Lasted well over 6 yrs ; fun to drive"

Cons: "torque stearing issue ; visibility could be better"

"I have now owned this car for over 6 years. It has been one of the best cars I have ever owned other than maybe my Thunderbird. It is held up well. It handles great and has great acceleration. Seats 4 people comfortably. You have to take care of the leather and I did not do so well so I have a few cracks in it. I have had no issues with the electronics at all. I do service it well. Tires lasted about 51,000 miles. No issues with the transmission or water system. I had to replace one hose in the water system due to rot on the bottom which was replaced when I did my radiator flush. Negatives: The view to the rear is a bit poor, but expected in this type of car. Turning radius needs help. The biggest issue I have with the car is that when I am starting from a stop and going into a turn, you have to be careful as it has a torque issue."

i love it, simple as that

By on Friday, March 29, 2013

Pros: "you could smoke this one , no problem"

Cons: "heated seats would"bn nicer"

"the only major thing i had to change on this beauty it was the air flow sensor. but after that it runs just like it had a perfect surgery done on it. it has over two hundred thousand of miles on it and let me be fair to the newer cars , i can still put up with you no prob. its absolutely worth its money no question about it. if i have to do it again i will still buy the same car. thanks @ good luck to you..., please change your oils /on time / always"

Awesome Car

By on Sunday, March 10, 2013

Reason: purchased new car

Pros: "Super reliable"

"One of the most reliable and fun cars I have ever driven. If you can buy a used one in good shape, you definitely should. Minor fixes over the course of the 16 years I owned it; biggest expense was replacing the alternator. I sold mine at 200,000 miles with the original manual transmission and no problems."

sturdy

By on Friday, March 01, 2013

"I've been driving this Maxima since 2004 when it had about 128,000 miles on it. Now it has 198,500. The past eight years I've replaced three fuel injectors, some of the gaskets, water pump, radiator, transmission solenoids and even a mass airflow sensor. I think the radiator was vandalized by the mechanics deliberately. I think the transmission repair shop lied about the trans needing new solenoids. The mass airflow sensor was very costly and the car kept dying out and ran poorly unitl it was replaced. The car runs much better now. For a Maxima this car has had a lot of repairs. Overall, it has been dependable."

Great car!

By on Sunday, February 24, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, fun to drive, responsive"

"Bought w/ a salvage title w/ 5k miles on it in 2001. It's the best car I've ever owned. Sure, after 14 yrs some minor mechanical fixes are expected and the quarter panels are starting to rust. Since 150k I've changed the alternator and the heat works on full blast only. I live in the northeast, travel highways and side roads and the car always starts up on the 1st key turn and is fun to drive. The engine feels as solid as day 1. I wish I could buy a brand new 1999! Wife wants me to get a new car but WHY??? I'm hoping to get 230K out of it."

Amazing!!

By on Thursday, February 21, 2013

Pros: "reliability, drives great, looks good."

Cons: "Nothing bad to say."

"I bought my 1996 Maxima about 8 years ago with 133k miles on it. I am currently at almost 275,000 miles and the only "major" work I've done was CV Joints about 6 years ago and new front end components about a year ago. Beyond that, the car always starts and runs perfectly. I am just now needing to redo the suspension."

So nice I bought it twice!

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great engine"

Cons: "nothing comes to mind"

"I'm currently two months into my second maxima. The first one was stolen and the crooks went through the sun roof and when it was recovered it was stored outside unprotected, Then it poured rain that night and just like that it was totaled, that was in 2006. Over the next 6 yrs I tried to find a car as nice a my white 95 maxima but couldnt even come close, so in Decenber of 2012 I bought another one a 98 SE. It's loaded and drives as nice as any modern car out there. Even though its 15 yrs old and has 150+ miles on it, it still drives flawless. I take it on out of town trips at will no need to rent a car when you have a 4th gen maxima. These car are bulletproof and I plan on having this one for a decade."

Very good investment

By on Thursday, February 07, 2013

Pros: "Good price, extremely reliable,very fast"

Cons: "None that come to mind"

"Well I payed for this vehicle after coming up on a decent amount of money came my way, and let me tell you guys this has to be the best investment that's ever crossed paths with my life. After purchasing it off of a previous owner ( car only had 2.) lets just say 750 dollars later, I'm a very happy man with a very speedy as well as comfortable car."

I love driving this car

By on Monday, January 07, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Not easy to repair common issues ie water pump"

"My father in-law gave this car to us because it had been stolen and returned in poor condition. Tires and parts were swapped out rather than stolen which was weird. Despite those issues it always kept running. Proved to be very reliable. Not easy to work on for a "do it yourself" beginner and a moderate do it yourself mechanic would have some trouble. Basic tune up and oil changes are a piece of cake anything more than that I would recommend an auto shop. It's very easy to handle on the road with a sport car sedan feel to it. With 224k miles it still has plenty of power and smooth idol. You can never get tired of driving this car because of the way it handles the road in all conditions. A great second car or for a student with limited cash for repairs."

Car love of my life!

By on Monday, December 10, 2012

I want this car

Pros: "BOSE stereo system! ABS, leather, airbags"

Cons: "no GPS, but I bought one for the car."

"Bought my 98 Maxima GLE brand new in 98. Never had any issues and this car saved me more than once with antilock breaks and excellent handling driving in cold snowy Chicago winters. It took me back and forth to Florida several times with no issues! I lost my "baby" in a garage fire in January 2011. One of the worst days of my life! It broke my heart and I cried for days for my car; I even tried kicking in the garage door to save it. With firemen breaking my fence down, I handed them the keys and asked to get my car out! They said it was too late; so, needless to say, I ended up buying a brand new car about 2 months later. I bought a Hyundai; and am now looking for another 1998 GLE. Not only do I miss my Maxima; I sure do miss a Nissan! I'll be back!"

Favorite car I ever!

By on Thursday, December 06, 2012

Pros: "Drives and performs like a dream, good on gas."

Cons: "not enough to complain about"

"Purchased car brand new in 1996. Manual transmission which I absolutely love. Bose speakers are still sounding great. Motor has new timing chain but thats it. Over the years I have replaced starter, ball joints, muffler, struts, radiator, and up-down motors on back two windows. Things that just ware out due to age. If I could buy same car at same price, sold I'd buy it. New Maximas don't have the appeal this car had. Yes,I recently bought a used 2009 GS350 Lexus, but I find myself still driving my Maxima because I love the ride. Take care of them, they will get you where you want to go. Satisfied customer"

Thank you Nissan for truly the best car I've owned

By on Monday, November 26, 2012

Pros: "Will last for ever!!!"

Cons: "No cup holders in back seat :/ poor ppl back there"

Taken right now as a wright this review

"This car I bought new off the show room floor back in 1998, since then I have put on 230k miles on it this truly has been the best car I've ever had, yea I've had to replace the normal wear and tear items but you're have to do the same with any car after this many years!!! A few winters ago I ran into a deer with this my 98 Maxima at 30mph and I have to say the over all strength if this car is amazing! Just needed a headlight and vert minor damage to the hood, this is a car I wish I could give to my kids ands who knows maybe they will :) I haven't plan to ever get rid go this car in the near feature!!! I love the interior look of this car as well a and the leather still looks new!!! Envy thing still works radio, power seats, windows, moonroof, a/c (never been recharged), heat, mirrors, everything is perfect! Only bad thing is there is a wear spot on the drivers floor mat Keep in mind I had this when I was a teenager and you know how we where back then with our cars"

Taken right now as a wright this review

I Love My Max

By on Wednesday, October 17, 2012

"Sporty yet plush. The moon roof makes it a mini convertable and the auto temperature control makes it very comfortable inside. The stero system is a plus with the Bose speakers. Very roomy for a compact car. The V6 engine can take on any vehicle as far as speed goes. The leather seats have worn; however, seat covers added just the right touch. Hope to drive her till the wheels fall off. I love my Max."

I LOVE THE MAXIMA

By on Saturday, September 29, 2012

Pros: "GOOD VALUE FOR THE CAR, FUN TO DRIVE"

Cons: "NO REAR CUP HOLDERS"

MY MAXII

"THIS CAR IS GREAT TO DRIVE AND OWN. I WOULD CONTINUE WITH THE NISSAN MAXIMA."

MY MAXII

surprisingly amazing car for reliability

By on Friday, August 10, 2012

Pros: "reliable quality, everything stilll works"

Cons: "nothing really!!!"

"got some serious milage on this car and the suspension is staring to finally get hard after 13 years!! had some minor mechanical repairs but it was only due to 13 years of driving!! everything still works!!"