1996 Nissan Maxima

Based on 519 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

LoveMyMax

By on Saturday, November 29, 2008

"I bought this car new in Sept '95. It has 180,000 miles and is unbelieveable. At 13+ years its finally showing a little age, but the reliability of this car is beyond compare. If you service this car regularly it will run forever. The only defect this vehicle ever had was a front wheel bearing, which was a known issue in nissans of this period. If you can find a '96 max someone is willing to part with, you may potentially have a great car."

Love this Maxima

By on Friday, November 07, 2008

"Just bought a 95 GLE nissan maxima yesterday with only 125,000 miles on it, it blows dodge out of the water considering the dodges i had gave out at this point but this car has serious power and extreme luxury with wood grain dashboard and leather upholstery i would consider this to any one with a family of two kids or just for a teenage boy getting his first car. Only problem i have with it is the antenna because it retracts when you turn the car off and makes a clicking sound, but i plan to tune the car up and change the transmission fluid tomorrow because if you keep this vehicle maintained it will last you, my friend has a 95 nissan maxima like myself and hes put 525,000 miles or more on it so far and still out runs the newer cars today, he just likes to drive alot but seriosuly this car is my dream car!!!"

Extremely Reliable and Fun

By on Wednesday, November 07, 2007

"I've had this car since 2000 and have 230,000 miles on it now. Pretty easy to work on to be a Japanese car. Extremely reliable to have so many miles. I've done all regular maintenance accept a clutch and water pump at 200K, main pulley at 150K, and CV Joints at 120K. It always wears the tires very even. It's only left me stranded one time with a broken idler pulley. Had to replace the starter twice, but that's a very easy bolt on. Very impressive straight line acceleration but shows it's family side during turns. The Nissan VQ engine is very tough to beat. It's a joy to drive even at 12 years old with the 5 speed still catching 2nd gear! Would've liked a limited slip because I've been stuck a few times trying to climb hills in the snow. This would definitely be a great used car. I would recommend it to anyone that needs the extra space but doesn't want to sacrifice the driving fun. I'd like a truck right now, but can't find a reason to sell it because it won't break."

Great car

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"I have owned two of this particular vehicle, and they are fantastic cars. Very reliable, good combination of power and fuel efficiency (gets 27 MPG in city driving, 30 highway, yet has plenty of power and acceleration). I would highly recommend them to anyone."

This car is a godsend!

By on Thursday, September 05, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, dependable, easy to maintain."

Cons: "Clock and radio light faded away. Oh darn..."

"When I bought this car six years ago, it only had 75,000 miles on it. Now, I got it up to 129,000 and it is as dependable as ever. With routine maintenance there is no reason she couldn't last at least ten more years. It's a smooth ride with good power and maneuverability. I recently inherited a car from '03 with less mileage, and I'm going to stick with my Maxima."

sturdy

By on Friday, March 01, 2013

"I've been driving this Maxima since 2004 when it had about 128,000 miles on it. Now it has 198,500. The past eight years I've replaced three fuel injectors, some of the gaskets, water pump, radiator, transmission solenoids and even a mass airflow sensor. I think the radiator was vandalized by the mechanics deliberately. I think the transmission repair shop lied about the trans needing new solenoids. The mass airflow sensor was very costly and the car kept dying out and ran poorly unitl it was replaced. The car runs much better now. For a Maxima this car has had a lot of repairs. Overall, it has been dependable."

I love driving this car

By on Monday, January 07, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Not easy to repair common issues ie water pump"

"My father in-law gave this car to us because it had been stolen and returned in poor condition. Tires and parts were swapped out rather than stolen which was weird. Despite those issues it always kept running. Proved to be very reliable. Not easy to work on for a "do it yourself" beginner and a moderate do it yourself mechanic would have some trouble. Basic tune up and oil changes are a piece of cake anything more than that I would recommend an auto shop. It's very easy to handle on the road with a sport car sedan feel to it. With 224k miles it still has plenty of power and smooth idol. You can never get tired of driving this car because of the way it handles the road in all conditions. A great second car or for a student with limited cash for repairs."

Impressive car

By on Friday, October 21, 2011

Pros: "Almost everything"

Cons: "electrical drain, expensive tune up, leaky EGR tra"

"I bought this one at 160,000 mi, and have put another 60,000 on it. I spent a total of about $4500 in repairs in those 60,000 - but the car drives so well I definitely recommed it: $1200 due to lack of proper maintenance by the previous owner, $800 due to an extreme winter for Seattle, and about $2500 of my own doing/normal issues. The ONLY draw backs are a few design issues that require longer labor times in repair: Tune up and new coils are expensive: EGR"

Most reliable

By on Monday, February 07, 2011

"Bought this '98 in 2003 with 67k. It now has over 176k and has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I keep up with maintenance and repair before broken. I have put the equivalent of 2 car payments per year into this car and it has never left me stranded. Today it still drives straight and true and the engine growls when you get on the pedal. The VQ engine never burns oil or loses any power over time as long as you keep it up. I have replaced a partial exhaust, and front and rear struts. Nothing else major. My mechanic says its good for 300k. The paint is still beautiful and there is no rust. An amazing feat for a MN car. As much as I want to drive a newer car there are few features I am wanting for because this was loaded with power everything, heated seats, power sunroof, spoiler, Bose, etc. We also have a 1996 in similar condition and a 2000. The 2000 is more comfortable but has not been as reliable as the '95-'99 model."

Great, Dependable car

By on Friday, November 05, 2010

"I bought my Maxima in 1998 brand new and it was a great 1st purchase for me as a 23yr old. I have been driving it for 12 years straight now and never had any mechanical problems with it until after the 10th year. Truly a great value when you consider most people replace their cars after 5-6 years. I got 2 cars worth out of it, in my opinion. I'm not sure if Nissan makes them this well anymore but if you find a Maxima with low mileage from this era (late 1990s) then I would jump on it. Notes: Drove through hurricane winds, sleet, and all kinds of conditions in this vehicle with no problems."