1996 Nissan Maxima

Based on 517 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

Best for the money

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"As a victim of the .com bust I was devastated when I had to sell the Benz and the BMW. I was humbled when I bought this 1997 Maxima for $5,500.00 from a family member who took pitty on me. It had 98,000 miles on it when I bought it. I have put almost 90,000 more on it in the last 5 years (187,000 mi). In my life I have owned more cars than I can count. This isn't the fastest, the nicest, the prettiest or the most impressive but it is by far the best overall car I have ever owned. For what I paid, it does everything it is supposed to do and does it very well. It looks pretty decent. It's not going to break any speed records but it is by no means slow, fast enough when you need it. Certainly faster than most cars in its class. The car carries four full sized adults fairly comfortably. It is extremely reliable, only 1 serious repair (I replaced the clutch at 125k). I average 26 miles per gallon. The car runs as good as it did when I bought it. I have never been worried about breaking down, these cars just don't do that. If you find one in good condition buy it!"

Amazing car

By on Tuesday, October 30, 2007

"I bought my first 1996 Maxima about 10 years ago, and have purchased two more for my college age kids since. I think they may be one of the best cars ever built for the money. They're reasonably priced (you can pick up a good used one for $5000 or less), have quick acceleration, lots of power (they roar up mountain roads), handle well and have great traction in snow, have a smooth ride, have a roomy, comfortable interior, get great gas mileage (we average 27 mpg in mixed city driving, which is awesome for a 6 cylinder with lots of power), and best of all, are incredibly reliable. I've purchased all three cars with high mileage (100k miles or more), and aside from the occassional item you expect for a car with high mileage (alternator, oxy sensor, etc.) we've had to do nothing but routine maintenance. Plus, for a car that's over 10 years old, I think they're still very stylish. I've been so pleased with their performance that when I went looking for a luxury car several years ago I purchased an Infiniti I30, as it's an upscale version of the same car. Same story all over again - it runs and runs and runs without major repairs. Find a clean one that's been treated right, and you can't go wrong. Tip: Stick with the older model Maximas up through around 2003 or 2004 when the current styling was introduced. The newest model is a jet, but is geared more for power than for fuel economy."

Let this be an example to all others

By on Thursday, July 07, 2011

Pros: "The engine and transmission are indestructible"

Cons: "The body should have been made of titanium. The car would have lasted forever."

"On the advice of my trusted mechanic, I bought this car used with 189K on it. Since then Ive added another 178K to it. In that time I have had three exhaust system repairs, an alternator, and a battery, (tires, brakes, oil, and gas). I still commute 40 miles a day with this car although this past winter has taken its toll and the body has finally started to rot. I am currently looking for another with lower mileage. If all goes well, I could get twenty years of driving out of a $13000 investment. I used to be a GM man, but it'll take something pretty remarkable to get me back from Nissan now. :)"

Great car, excellent value and reliability

By on Thursday, April 17, 2008

"Bought it new in 1999, so far driven 60000 miles, has been extremely reliable, with virtually no maintenance needs. Just been replacing the oil/filters and last year changed the Trans fluid as a precaution. The only repair it needed were 3 ignition coils (Hanshen brand), they went bad at various times since 2003. All I had to do was to buy a new coil ($75-$80) a piece and swap it in with one existing coil, then test run the car, and continue this process until locating the bad one."

Awesome Car

By on Sunday, March 10, 2013

Reason: purchased new car

Pros: "Super reliable"

"One of the most reliable and fun cars I have ever driven. If you can buy a used one in good shape, you definitely should. Minor fixes over the course of the 16 years I owned it; biggest expense was replacing the alternator. I sold mine at 200,000 miles with the original manual transmission and no problems."

bulletproof cars!!!!

By on Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pros: "nice sound, good power"

Cons: "cup holder needs another one"

"Bought this car last year fully loaded with leather power seats, heated aswell with moon roof and Bose sound system which is LOUD at 139,000 and still running good. Excellent power at 190 hp for the year it is and cars last forever if u take care of them...."

Solid Performer

By on Monday, July 09, 2007

"This is my wife's daily driver and has been nothing but awesome since we bought it in 1999. Other than a recent EGR valve repair (less than $400) all we have done is routine maintenance and fill it up with gas!"

This car has been nearly bullet proof.

By on Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pros: "solid, safe, reliable beyond compare"

Cons: "not sure the new maxima v6's are same quality"

"This car has been nearly bullet proof. This particular v6 is the best motor I have ever driven. It now has 330,000 miles on it and drives better than any comparable new car I test drive. overall, the best value and quality of any car I have owned"

Best vehicle ever

By on Monday, October 14, 2013

"We love, love this car. Never had a major problem. Change the oil every 2,000 miles with premium oil and the car rides like a "purring kitten". Nothing on the car does not work."

surprisingly amazing car for reliability

By on Friday, August 10, 2012

Pros: "reliable quality, everything stilll works"

Cons: "nothing really!!!"

"got some serious milage on this car and the suspension is staring to finally get hard after 13 years!! had some minor mechanical repairs but it was only due to 13 years of driving!! everything still works!!"