2015 Nissan LEAF Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $25,531 - $27,959.

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

Info valid for your area through 07/28/2016

10/7.8

Based on 71 Ratings for the 2011 - 2016 models.

A True Electric Car

By on Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"The Nissan LEAF is a purpose built true electric car. Therefore it was built from the ground up to be an electric car. It's not a retrofit of an existing car to make it an electric car. The engineering of the vehicle is amazing. It accelerates like a V6. It is extremely quite. The car feels very open and roomy. There's a lot of headroom. The car is loaded with technology including performance analysis, Internet connection (to upload telemetry and to start the climate control system remotely), XM, iPod integration, keyless, backup camera, solar panel (to charge accessory battery), and of course an entirely electric drive train. It's a really fun car to drive and worth every penny."

new owner comments

By on Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pros: "Great for what its intended for."

Cons: "May face some long term range drop."

"We've only owned our Leaf for a few weeks, so our experience is still limited. However, I wonder why another owner who uses his car 20K a year and wants to drive more than 65 m/h bought this car? Our situation seems perfect for a Leaf, as we use it to commute and do local errands averaging 25 or 30 mi/day on weekdays. Even if the battery does eventually degrade by 20% as reported in hot climates like Arizona, we'd still be okay. So we're happy so far, and with a Prius for long trips our total gas savings over our previous car arrangements offers direct energy cost of about 25 percent of what we paid when we had a Nissan van and a Corolla. And we only use 17 percent of the gas we did before. Take that Big Oil."

Great electric car

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, very effecient, great value."

Cons: "Choices of interior and not many charging stations"

"In 1996 I decided to build an electric car due to the gas prices and just for the challenge. While I really enjoyed that car for many years it didn't not have all the bells and whistles of a modern day car so I sold it and bought the LEAF. Other than not having any other full electric cars to choose from for styling, this car is everything of what I had hoped for and more. It is great car with all the online gadgets and information that it captures and the range is plenty for my daily drive of around 50 miles. I wish the range was a little more so I could make more than one trip without charging, but it is easy enough to plug in after each trip. Many have asked me "What happens when you run out of battery?" My response is what happens when you run out of gas? Same thing for the electric car for the most part. It is just like having a car with a smaller gas tank, but with the advantage you can fill up at home for a lot less cost. If there were the same number of charging stations around the country as there are gas stations there wouldn't be any issue in going longer distances. The problem in my area is there isn't any charging stations within 60 miles and many of the destinations I would go to farther than the ~100mi range don't have any stations. Need to put them in at Malls, restaurants, etc. Even with this fact, the LEAF is what I would call our main vehicle, but we also have a gas vehicle for the longer trips and vacations. It is a great car and I am excited to see other pure electric cars become available. I think someone could jump in and drive this and not even notice that it is electric since Nissan went to a lot of effort to make it act and perform like a regular gas car."

Vehicle of the Future

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pros: "Efficient, Environmental, Economical, Incentives"

Cons: "Range"

"I love this car. My Leaf is the most advanced mass produced vehicle currently available. Others talk about the feeling of passing gas stations in their Leaf, I love the feeling when passing 5000 miles and not needing to go in for an oil change. You're emitting zero CO2 to operate, couple that with solar at home and you're carbon neutral for transportation. I drive 54 miles during commute hours daily, all freeway miles and I have around 20-30 miles left at the end of the day. I know I'm not the most efficient driver, but I guess the idea here is, if you use your car legally, <65mph when posted, it'll out perform the detractors' low ball stats."

Great Rebirth for EVs

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "Quiet, reasonable fuel costs, Clean and Green"

Cons: "100 mile range - for long roadtrips"

"As an early adopter, we pay the price to help the movement towards sustainable clean energy options. While the Nissan Leaf has limited range (~100 miles depending on driving conditions), it is a very practical car for our daily use (~50 miles). The interior of our 2011 Leaf is spacious with significant headroom and legroom in both front and rear seats. A few blind spots exist in the rear piers of the vehicle. Side mirrors help address these blind spots, but hope this can be more adequately adressed in future models. To long term ownership value is to be determined, however the benefits of reduced fuel cost and use of HOV lanes during commute times are a significant immediate benefit and added value of the vehicle. Considering the Federal tax credit, state air quality rebate, HOV sticker - there are many early adopter incentives going on currently (2011 / 2012) that helped sway our decision towards an all electric vehicle. With the rising cost of oil/gas our monthly transportation fuel cost is now ~ 1/6!!!! While initial sticker is slightly higher than an internal combustion engine or hybrid vehicle of same features, the Total Cost of Ownership (when compared to ICE or hybrid cars) is actually less (no oil/oil filter changes, no timing belt / pump change). The long term unknown is the battery life beyond warranty and how the warranty coverage will apply should we need to envoke coverage. We are confident that Nissan will honor their 96 month 125,000 mile warranty and that the car will provide enough power/range for our daily needs. We plan to replace our other internal combustion engine vehicle when the electric rapid charging (quick charge) infrastructure has matured in California (and hopefully all of United States), and when a future generation mass market EV (from a EV technology and thought leader such as Nissan, Toyota, Tesla or other) can provide 300 miles of range in a vehicle priced under $40,000 after incentives."