• 2014 Compact Car Buyer's Guide
Federal Tax Credit Up To $7,500! The 2011 Nissan Leaf electric car qualifies for a federal tax credit of up to $7,500, effectively reducing the net base price from $33,720 to $26,220. In addition, some states offer their own purchase incentives, which can be combined with the federal credit. Other electric vehicle-related perks that vary by city or state include single-occupant access to carpool lanes, free metered parking and significantly reduced vehicle registration fees. Home charging stations, which cut charging times in half compared to standard wall outlets, are also eligible for attractive incentives. Nissan offers a useful state-by-state guide to Leaf-specific incentives and perks at nissanusa.com.

2011 Nissan LEAF

Based on 45 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

Dissappointed with range

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "Drives well, quality build"

Cons: "Short range on freeways."

"I just test drove a 2011 Leaf with 6000 miles on it. I have a 56 mile round trip commute so I asked for a long test drive since the dealership is two blocks from my work. So I drove it from the dealership to my house and back. The drive is mostly freeway miles with only one big hill and a few small ones. I put on the a/c and head lights to try to see what it could do in extreme conditions. When I left the dealership the range meter said 84 miles. When I got back to the dealership I had gone 57 miles and the battery level was all the way down and the miles indicator was flashing a low battery warning for the final 3 miles or so. I was very disappointed that the Leaf could not go 50ish miles on the freeway in ECO mode at 65 mph without completely running the battery down. I was glad I took it for the long test drive before buying it expecting to get at least 60 plus on a full charge. The ride and everything else was very good, just couldn't worry about the mileage everyday of my commute, so I didn't buy it."

The most AMAZING vehicles I have ever owned!

By on Sunday, September 01, 2013

Pros: "EVERYTHING all Pros"

Cons: "I have no Cons!"

"My Nissan Leaf is the most AMAZING vehicle on the planet. Think about it, the motor has only 7 or 8 moving parts, No transmission, No Gas No Oil, No Trnsmission fluid, Has full torque from 0 RPM, Very Quick and will take most V6 vehicles off the line, Runs with the big dogs on the freeway, I would like to say it will easily do 100 MPH but I won't because that's against the law (just trust me on this one), I was owner of an Auto and RV Service Center and I have worked on thousands of cars, trucks and RV's and nothing has impressed me as this NISSAN LEAF. This vehicle made WORLD CAR OF THE YEAR!. Plus NO EMISSIONs. Note: My Nissan Leaf replaced my quad cab pick-up and the wife and I took the money we would spent on gas, oil and maintenance every week and put it in a savings account and two years later we have $9,020.00 dollars in the account. Also, If I was paying for electricity it would cost me only about $35.00 per month. However, sense I have Solar and don't have an electric bill, it is all pure clean and free energy. How many miles can you drive for free? If you want to go green this is the way to do it."

Great second car

By on Monday, July 22, 2013

Pros: "No gas very little maintenance"

Cons: "Looks very Asian"

"Try it you will like it. An awesome second car for less than 80 miles per day. Basically free to own if you are doing 15000 miles per year with a medium sized gas car replace it. Fun to drive accelerates well. This is the future. Look into energy programs tha allow time of use . Even in expensive Southern California you can get in this electricity program and save. Just limit your usage in the afternoon.every family should have a Leaf and either an SUV or a mini van perfect combination . I am 6.4 headroom is fine legroom could be a little bit better but I say that about most cars ."

Great little car but the battery needs improvement

By on Tuesday, May 14, 2013

"I leased a 2013 Nissan Leaf about two months ago. I was told that I could get up to 116 miles per charge, this would depend on outside temperature and driving conditions. I am lucky to get 60 miles on a charge when the temperature is 70 to 80 degrees. I would really hate to see how low the mileage would go on a real cold or real hot day. The car is a lot of fun to drive and works great for very short trips."

Car good battery is bad.

By on Thursday, May 02, 2013

Pros: "quiet, vibration free, low maintenance"

Cons: "limited range. Battery is poor at best."

"Bought this car new. Drove the car less than 3500 miles and lost 15% of the original battery capacity. Actual real world driving range when new was 55 miles summer and less than 40 on a full charge in the winter if you use the heat sparingly. The car is ok the battery is terrable. do your self a favor and get a Chevy Volt instead. We love the low fuel costs and the convience of "refueling" at home. Beware the tax credit is based on your income. Middle income buyers will not collect the full $7500. Smooth quiet vibration free ride is a plus. 100% instant torque is great. Will never go back to gasoline!!!"

F*U*N

By on Monday, April 29, 2013

Pros: "Fun. Peppy. Quiet. Guilt-free, cheap driving."

Cons: "Stiff suspension."

"It was a bit of a whim for us to lease this car, but we figured one urban car (electric) would complement our other larger, conventional long-distance car. We were right, but really underestimated just how much fun it is to have and drive and "refuel" an electric car. Quiet, great acceleration, no gas stations, just plug it in ... my wife and I fight over using it. The gas car feels like a dinosaur now. We didn't even install the normal 220 charger - just use 110 "trickle" charge, which adds about 50 miles overnight. It's all we've needed for charging. And I love being released from most of the guilt of using gas and polluting when I drive. There is still some pollution associated with power, but in Northwest our power is plentiful and relatively clean - probably reduces CO2 by 80% relative to gas. Love the Leaf!"

oh brother

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Reason: no reliebility

Pros: "its elecric"

Cons: "everything els"

"the only good thing about this car is its electric"

If you fit the EV profile - LEAF is near perfect

By on Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pros: "Low cost of operation, Drive experience"

Cons: "Low quality carpet"

"This 2013 LEAF SL is our second LEAF. We had a 2011 SL on which we accumulated 12,000 miles in two years. Yes, we are low mileage drivers. Why the upgrade? Improved range, leather interior and some other feature upgrades - such as optional Bose audio and around view monitor that uses four cameras to check out surroundings while parking. LEAF is not for everyone. With it you can't drive from San Diego to Las Vegas. But with all of the money that you save on gas, you will be able to fly to Vegas, save time, and save money. The number one question I receive is "How far will it go?" My answer is consistent - if driving range is that important to you, this is not the right car for you. But if you fit the EV profile - daily drives total less than 60 or 70 miles (which is roughly 80 percent of the market according to various studies), LEAF is near perfect. The EPA range is 75 miles, but many drivers report the dreaded range anxiety as mileage increases, which is why I posited 60 to 70 miles above. Annual energy cost (according to the EPA) is $500 for someone driving 15,000 miles each year. The average new car achieves 23 miles per gallon (combined) and will consume $2,550 worth of gasoline each year at current gas prices. $2,050 energy savings each year of ownership adds up to significant savings. These numbers will need to be tailored to your own annual mileage. Pros? Time savings (no hunting for gas stations then waiting to fuel, and charging while we sleep). Reduced operating costs (no oil & filter changes, no tune-ups, no waiting for the above). Reduced dependency on oil. Cons? Nissan could have used a better quality material for the carpet. The floor mats help, but the carpet material is cheap. If that's the only con... I can live with it. Would I do it again? I already did!"

I LOVE this car

By on Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pros: "Surreal silence. Fun. Bye gas stations"

Cons: "Cost. Cheap cloth armrest won't last long"

"At first I thought it was somewhat odd looking. I thought I wanted a different oddball car, the Prius, because I'm of Scottish descent and therefore a penny pincher. This car is loads of fun and you will look for every possible excuse to drive it. After a few months with the Leaf I'm sold on the technology. Surreal silence and surprisingly fast off the line - loads of fun off a red light if you so choose. Sounds faintly like a passenger jet turbine winding up at lower speed. The range is okay for my daily needs and with the 6.6kw charger you can gain ~25 miles/hr of level 2 charging. I literally haven't been to a gas station since bringing this car home and weed whack around the now parked SUV and Camry. Driving this car somehow feels illegal, or cheating. The giant blue charging LED's on the dash are mesmerizing at night and you'll find yourself peeking out the window to check the status (I didn't know about this feature). Now planning a gas free trip from Seattle to southern & central Oregon this summer using the L3 super chargers (currently free). I leased my vehicle as the tech is so new and with battery replacement costs yet TBD. If that works out I would not hesitate to buy an EV. First time lessee, but the gas savings equated the lease payment so it was low risk and a no brainer for my situation. Read the owner's manual for required maintenance and you'll be shocked at how little is needed, even to 120,000 miles. Fantastic job Nissan! 2013 model S with 6.6kW charger."

excellent commute car

By on Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Pros: "quiet, inexpensive to operate, use the HOV lane"

Cons: "range of 60-70 miles/charge"

"As long as you realize the limitations of the range, which is about 60 miles/charge in the winter or 70 miles/charge in the summer, with mostly freeway driving, it's a fantastic commute car, plus can use the HOV lanes in California. I get 3.3 miles per kWh of electricity, so depending on what you pay for electricity you can calculate the cost per mile, which is very low. NO maintenance, just rotate the tires. NO smog checks."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Nissan LEAF near Honolulu. See local deals
See if you qualify for