Federal Tax Credit Up To $7,500! The 2011 Nissan Leaf electric car qualifies for a federal tax credit of up to $7,500, effectively reducing the net base price from $33,720 to $26,220. In addition, some states offer their own purchase incentives, which can be combined with the federal credit. Other electric vehicle-related perks that vary by city or state include single-occupant access to carpool lanes, free metered parking and significantly reduced vehicle registration fees. Home charging stations, which cut charging times in half compared to standard wall outlets, are also eligible for attractive incentives. Nissan offers a useful state-by-state guide to Leaf-specific incentives and perks at nissanusa.com.

2011 Nissan LEAF

Based on 62 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

21st Century Car

By on Monday, May 16, 2011

"After waiting almost a year, I finally took possession of my EV just last month. It is everything I hoped for and more: truly a 21st century car. If I forget to plug it in, it emails me. If it gets low on charge, it calculates a route to the nearest charging station. It has timers to charge during off peak hours and timers to pre-heat and cool the vehicle in summer and winter. If the car has been sitting in the sun for hours, I can turn on the A/C from my computer or smart phone before I leave the building. I get instantaneous feedback about my driving habits, allowing me to drive smarter, stretch my mileage and reduce my costs. The telemetry is impressive and I have access to an incredible amount of data. Don’t believe the anti-EV noise machine out there. This isn’t a glorified golf cart. This is a REAL car, and most important to me, it’s fun to drive. My other car is a Mercedes SLK 280 hardtop convertible roadster and I know what a fun drive is. The leaf has 100% torque instantaneously and will beat my SLK off the line. This is the perfect commuter car for me. I live in San Diego, which has ideal weather conditions for an EV and, ironically, some of the highest gas prices in the country. Instead of filling my tank for $70, I’ll be plugging in my EV in my garage for about $9. My cost is 3 cents a mile PERIOD… no oil changes, no tune ups, no transmission fluid, no air filter, no hassles. It sure beats 25 cents a mile. My EV and I now mock Big Oil."

Dissappointed with range

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "Drives well, quality build"

Cons: "Short range on freeways."

"I just test drove a 2011 Leaf with 6000 miles on it. I have a 56 mile round trip commute so I asked for a long test drive since the dealership is two blocks from my work. So I drove it from the dealership to my house and back. The drive is mostly freeway miles with only one big hill and a few small ones. I put on the a/c and head lights to try to see what it could do in extreme conditions. When I left the dealership the range meter said 84 miles. When I got back to the dealership I had gone 57 miles and the battery level was all the way down and the miles indicator was flashing a low battery warning for the final 3 miles or so. I was very disappointed that the Leaf could not go 50ish miles on the freeway in ECO mode at 65 mph without completely running the battery down. I was glad I took it for the long test drive before buying it expecting to get at least 60 plus on a full charge. The ride and everything else was very good, just couldn't worry about the mileage everyday of my commute, so I didn't buy it."

Great electric car

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, very effecient, great value."

Cons: "Choices of interior and not many charging stations"

"In 1996 I decided to build an electric car due to the gas prices and just for the challenge. While I really enjoyed that car for many years it didn't not have all the bells and whistles of a modern day car so I sold it and bought the LEAF. Other than not having any other full electric cars to choose from for styling, this car is everything of what I had hoped for and more. It is great car with all the online gadgets and information that it captures and the range is plenty for my daily drive of around 50 miles. I wish the range was a little more so I could make more than one trip without charging, but it is easy enough to plug in after each trip. Many have asked me "What happens when you run out of battery?" My response is what happens when you run out of gas? Same thing for the electric car for the most part. It is just like having a car with a smaller gas tank, but with the advantage you can fill up at home for a lot less cost. If there were the same number of charging stations around the country as there are gas stations there wouldn't be any issue in going longer distances. The problem in my area is there isn't any charging stations within 60 miles and many of the destinations I would go to farther than the ~100mi range don't have any stations. Need to put them in at Malls, restaurants, etc. Even with this fact, the LEAF is what I would call our main vehicle, but we also have a gas vehicle for the longer trips and vacations. It is a great car and I am excited to see other pure electric cars become available. I think someone could jump in and drive this and not even notice that it is electric since Nissan went to a lot of effort to make it act and perform like a regular gas car."

Dear Perfect Engineering

By on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pros: "No gas, ever! Quiet, smooth ride, quick"

Cons: "Charger contractor not responsive, iPhone app fail"

"Nissan did an outstanding job on the Leaf. After all the tax incentives, the car represents the best value in transportation. Setting aside political (foreign oil dependency) and environmental (carbon emission) ideologies, the Leaf completely stands alone as the most modern and thoughtfully engineered urban vehicle today. It rides smoothly, accelerates quickly, and is equipped with all the digital wizardry from Bluetooth to Carwings. After having driven Mercedes for over 20 years, I traded in my S550 for the Leaf and was glad that I did. I was mentally prepared for the Leaf's limited range. So far city commute is manageable. The only bad experience is with Aeroenvironment, Nissan's contractor for the Level 2 charger. I went with an alternate local solution using a ClipperCreek charger. It's cheaper ($1800 includes the charger and installation), and in my experience much better than Nissan's contractor. The only other minor issue is that Carwing's iPhone app doesn't work with the 4S. The car itself is near perfect."

Vehicle of the Future

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pros: "Efficient, Environmental, Economical, Incentives"

Cons: "Range"

"I love this car. My Leaf is the most advanced mass produced vehicle currently available. Others talk about the feeling of passing gas stations in their Leaf, I love the feeling when passing 5000 miles and not needing to go in for an oil change. You're emitting zero CO2 to operate, couple that with solar at home and you're carbon neutral for transportation. I drive 54 miles during commute hours daily, all freeway miles and I have around 20-30 miles left at the end of the day. I know I'm not the most efficient driver, but I guess the idea here is, if you use your car legally, <65mph when posted, it'll out perform the detractors' low ball stats."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Nissan LEAF near Honolulu. See local deals