2009 Nissan Frontier King Cab

Based on 162 Ratings for the 2005 - 2016 models.

Solid Truck

By on Sunday, May 26, 2013

Pros: "Solidframe,tuned power,reliability,roominess,value"

Cons: "WOT restrction,no Aux input,alarm,lowish clearance"

"I've had this truck for 3 years and 35000 miles so far and is has been very reliable. No problems through the entire ownership so far other than a clicking through the steering column that the dealer is fixing under warranty. The truck feels solid and well-constructed, the doors are heavy and the frame is stiff. The bedliner is useful and durable. The price for a SE V6 4X4 with the value truck package was about 27,000 but I paid 21,300. Great value. The gas mileage is about 17 in my suburban/city driving. The V6 felt weak and would lag when I pressed the gas and it would rev high but not deliver. It felt like a 4 cylinder. Did some research and discovered that Nissan puts a Wide Open Throttle restriction on the engine which apparently cuts power by 33 percent. I bought a superchips tuner $300 and removed the restriction and it is night and day difference. The engine is very powerful and has great grunt and the lag is gone. Before the tuner, I almost sold the truck for a Ram because the V6 power was so abysmal. So the power is now excellent, the lag is gone (especially with overdrive turned off) and I still get about 17 mpg. The stock tires hhydroplaned often, so I bought Firestone Destination A/T and they are excellent. Great treadwear. Ground clearance seemed much lower than my last Tacoma, and I got stuck in deep snow often because the body hangs low. I lifted the truck two inches and it makes a huge difference. The truck didnt come with anything to hook up my iPod to, so I installed a kenwood navigation system which is great. Stock speakers when adjusted correctly are actually excellent. My only complaint is no alarm system or immobilizer came on the vehicle. It was added a year later to the value truck package. I'll add an immobilizer, alarm, and remote start combo soon. THe truck's looks are excellent, especially with the chrome bumper. The steering is very well weighted and speed sensitive. Brakes could be a lot better, they wern't bad for a while, but at 35000 miles, they might need new pads. Also, nissan extended the transmission and radiator warranty to about 8 years, 80000 miles due to some frontiers having cross contamination of fluids. Ill watch out for this. Overall, I am extremely satisfied with this truck. I had a 2009 tacoma and a 2010 Jeep wrangler Compareed to these two, the frontier is excellent. It feels a lot more solid than the tacoma and it has substantially more headroom and kneeroom and the headrests are not as obtrusive. And it is cheaper than comparably equipped tacomas and nissan seems more willing to negotiate. The tacoma was a good truck, high clearance and fast, but the Frontier is the better match for me-especially after the superchips tuner and the 2 inch lift kit. Additionally, this Frontier is very safe, according to the insurance institute of highway safety."

GREAT TRUCK!

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pros: "Local driving 17 MPG."

"My wife and I bought this truck and we are very happy with it. We bought the SV with the V-6 engine. It was equipped with the value package which includes a lot of accessories. This truck is very fast and powerful. It is much better than others in its class. We would recommend this truck."

Comfort & Convenience All in One

By on Saturday, April 5, 2014

Pros: "Solid Ride & Interior"

Cons: "NONE"

"The Frontier appealed to me more than the others in its class. The vehicle felt more powerful and the handling is great. It is very quiet riding down the highway. The interior looks very good and the body style is better than most. The 4WD suspension stands up high which makes the truck look very appealing. The four speed automatic transmission shifts very smooth which adds to the overall performance. The truck comes with a full sized spare tire on a regular steel wheel. This vehicle fits in a standard sized garage."

Very Good truck Very happy

By on Friday, September 28, 2012

"Very good all around truck, 4x4 was great in the snow better than I hope for, very comfortable on long road trips I get 18/22mpg V-6 auto, 28 months 21,000 miles no problems at all, it has very nice sounding stock CD/Radio"

For the money good truck.

By on Friday, March 16, 2012

"Turning radius poor, need longer arm to close door when fully opened v-6 very snappy like IT."

Get One!

By on Thursday, August 30, 2007

"Got to get one! Good for everyday driving and pulling. I use my truck for pulling a lot of material around and the truck never lets up. Gas mileage could be alittle better for a midsize, but hey it does have 265 HP."

Priced Cheap Built Cheap

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "Very affordably priced"

Cons: "Nissan is disinterested once the purchase is made"

"After 40K miles, lots of squeks, rattles, road noise is really loud, harsh ride, worst sound system I've heard since the old days of the AM only mono radios. Probably the most dissatisfying part of the experience is dealing with Nissan's "customer care" department. Had an issue with a heater fan and waited for over three weeks for a replacement part... for a new vehicle. Absolutely unacceptable. My purchase came down between this Frontier and a Tacoma. Made the wrong choice on this one."

great economical truck

By on Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pros: "great economical truck"

Cons: "king cab is not large enough for kids"

"The 2008 Nissan Frontier SE Truck is economical and is quick to pick up speed. I have owned this truck for 3 years and have never had to have any major work done, just usual maintenance of the vehicle. It runs like a champ, and will carry a full load in the bed with no drag. The only con I can think of is the King cab is just not big enough for kids. Even though it has jump seats, there is still not enough room for kids. Also, if a car seat has to be installed for a baby or toddler, then the front seat is not usable because it has to be pushed forward so far to allow for room of the carseat in the back. Other than that, the truck is awesome!"

Chevy man 37 years

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2012

"After owning a nissan,I"m DONE with Chevrolet,Thats all I got..."

good truck-hard to turn/park

By on Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Pros: "looks good,decent fuel mpg for a truck"

Cons: "wide turn for a small width truck"

"Nissan won't do recall on known problems with their vehicles,instead they give you a limited extended warranty.I would have given higher ratings for reliability and overall rating if Nissan did the right thing and had recalls for known problems/defects."

Best value of mid-sized 4x4 trucks.

By on Saturday, March 22, 2014

Pros: "Best price; Equipped; Rides and runs great;"

Cons: "Getting in driver's seat a little cramped"

"I have had absolutely no problems with this truck. I would be hard pressed to buy a Colorado or Tacoma as both are several thousand dollars more and don't deliver as much for the money. The Frontier has all of the amenities and all of the toughness and reliability I want in a truck."

Really Great vehicle!

By on Saturday, November 24, 2012

Pros: "handles well"

Cons: "I dont have heated seats or a sunroof-"

"I'v had this truck for 8 years and have only put a little over 100,00 miles on it. She has a lotta years left on her. No hiccups in 8 years, not one break down or unreliable moment. Realy awesome car & its cute & stylish as well!"

You cannot beat this truck for value

By on Thursday, February 9, 2012

Cons: "no IPOD Aux Jack"

"Ive had this truck for two years and not had one issue with it. Its great in snow, its comfortable and best of all it was $8000 cheaper than the Tacoma."

By on Thursday, April 14, 2011

"The worst truck i have ever owned multiple manufacturer defects. problem with radiator wears a hole over time doesnt matter how good you take care of it. coolant will leak into your transmission and your engine wich will basically ruin your whole truck. i have spent 6,700 dollars over this last month getting all this repaired and its only 2,000 miles over the 80,000 mile warranty. DO NOT BUY THIS TRUCK."

BEST TRUCK EVER

By on Thursday, October 14, 2010

"I bought this truck new and have had it for 6 years! I love it! The only thing I have had to replace was the battery and am now looking at tires as they have done their share of holding up over the years and miles. I can't say anything bad about this vehicle. I had the Nismo loaded edition and definitely recommend ALL the bells and whistles. Its never left me stranded, handles well, and even if you have to haul, it will not let you down. The 4-wheel drive is a must have if you are going to buy a truck!!! I love my truck!!!"

Nismo

By on Thursday, October 29, 2009

"This is the best, most reliabale vehicle I have ever had. It has more power then most all V8s and handles like a dream."

Dont get a Nissan

By on Friday, September 7, 2007

"I owned my NISMO less than than 3 years, the Universal joint had to be replaced at 30k miles, the starter went out at 75k and then at 80k i was told by my mechanic to trade because the transmission was going out...it is a great vehicle if you just want to sit in it and not drive but at high miles you will have problems..my neighbor had the same problems from a Nissan, we both have Toyota's now"

Decent truck but probably never buy Nissan again.

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "Standard is fun to drive, v6 has power!"

Cons: "Nissan's attitude towards their customers"

"This was an emergency purchase in 2010 (son's car died and I gave him my old one). I'd been looking around for about a year and, despite being an unhappy Nissan auto owner in the distant past, I identified the Nissan Frontier as my next purchase. It had 20k miles on it so I purchased the extended warranty. I'm glad I did because the warranty paid for itself within the first year! Rear axle seal (passenger side) kept blowing out and ruining the e-brake pads (which they refuse to replace under warranty). This happened twice while I was on the factory warranty. I also had to have tie rods replaced and the fuel pump and sensors replaced. I drive this truck about 800 miles a month and most of that is on the highway, I don't off-road or anything. Every Nissan I've ever owned has had some sort of major flaw which has really killed the brand for me."

Solid, reliable

By on Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pros: "reliable, good handling, dynamic control feature"

Cons: "few frills, turn radius, small interior"

"The Frontier is a great truck for the money and a decent alternative to the pricier Toyota. The Frontier is considered midsized, but that's a stretch. The king cab model is particularly small and the rear jump seats are not practical for passengers, which was fine for my needs. The driving position is snug, but lends itself to a sportier driving feel. Controls are logically placed and uncomplicated -- if not too basic. There is nothing fancy and there's a lot of plastic. The sound system is adequate but nothing special. The exterior styling isn't awe-inspiring and is perhaps growing a little dated, as it has been relatively unchanged since 2005. However, the lines are clean and the truck does have a solid and substantial look to it. The truck is confident on the road and is easy to drive. The suspension is taught like you might expect, but not uncomfortably so. The highway ride is very smooth. The 4.0 6 cylinder has a nice throaty sound. Fuel efficiency is decent for a truck. Power is more than sufficient -- not neck-snapping, but plenty. The dynamic control definitely makes for excellent handling on slippery conditions. Overall, the truck does the job and won't disappoint despite the lack of frills and styling."

Solid performer, rugged, reliable, value for your$

By on Friday, February 20, 2015

Pros: "Reliable, Sporty, decent gas mileage, versatile."

Cons: "Heavy, tires are expensive. But thats just me."

"I bought this truck used with 20,000 miles on it and has never stranded me anywhere. Very reliable and worth every penny of the $17,500 I paid for it. The version is a Nismo which compared to standard trucks of this make has a few extras that I like such as Bilstein shocks, rear locking differential, alloy wheels, bottom skid plates, (the metal could've been made with higher gauge steel as it's a little thin but probably wanted to make the GVW lighter which is understandable). The truck is sporty, has aluminum wheels and look good with the original OE tires BF Goodrich Rugged Trails with the white lettering out. Plenty of room for your stuff in the rear of the cab and even comes stock with a first aid kit and tie down strap storage box. The stock audio is only 4 speaker (2 6X9's in the front doors and 2 6.5" in the rear doors) it has dash speaker slots for tweeters on driver and passenger sides for a component speaker system but isn't stock. Surprisingly the stock speakers are 2 ohm and sound fair, made by Blaupunkt. I replaced mine with Alpines and a Pioneer DVD double Din. Tires are expensive when they wear out about $550 a whack at one time but thats the BF Goodrich that is OE. The worst thing that happened is I started hearing a whine from the engine and did some research online and found out this year and others has a timing chain tensioner issue where the material that the timing chain rides against gets worn down and starts to whine, they say it doesn't affect the performance of the engine it's just an annoying noise and it is. The dealer covered all the costs to replace the timing chain and tensioners but took all day. They told me the new parts have proved to stand the abuse of the timing chain and it wont happen again as they are using different material now. FYI they also told me had I had to pay for the job it would've cost me in the neighborhood of $5G's wow! Motor has plenty of power 4.0L V6 and has a good powerband at about 40 MPH it takes off. 6 years later I have 76K on the truck which i get is low for an 07 but I only drive 3 miles 1 way to work. The seats are comfortable with lumbar support on the driver seat and passenger seat has a folding back to make room for oddball shaped cargo or your German Sheperd as I do. Recently I have had several offers for it but I like it too much to 86 it just yet or maybe never. If you want a solid truck that is reliable and looks sporty but dont want to fork out the cheddar for the Toyota (Get this..as I said I paid $17,500 for the 07 Nismo in January of 09 with 20,000K on it and there was a 94 Toyota Tacoma with 68,000K on it and they were asking $18,300) WOW! no brainer for me and the gold YUK paint was oxidized, seats were torn and very worn..whatever. The Nismo looked and smelled new still. Nutshell, Great Truck!!!"

This is an Excellent Truck!

By on Saturday, March 22, 2014

Pros: "Handling and Performance"

Cons: "Manual Seat Adjustments"

"This is an excellent truck with plenty of get up and go. I bought the new 2014 SV Truck Value Package 4WD with the V-6 engine. The ride is great and the truck is very fast and responsive on the road. The radio and back-up camera with the sonar system are great new features. The 5-Speed Automatic Transmission shifts flawlessly. The fit and trim is excellent. The only thing I would pick on is the manual seat opposed to the power seat."

Average 4x4, fuel use ok, noisy in side.

By on Sunday, December 8, 2013

Pros: "Good high way truck."

Cons: "Poor off road truck."

"Purchased used with 20,000 miles. Transmission Failed after 75,000 miles due to radiator leaking water in to the transmission. Gasket filed in engine causing low oil pressure issues. Timing chain replaced but noise did not abate. $9000.00 in repairs."

Best truck I ever owned.

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

"Truck is so dependable all that is needed is oil changes"

plenty of power!!

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"Great truck! only drawback is turning radius. comfortable and fun to drive. nice amenities like bluetooth steering mounted stereo and cruise control. Plenty of power to pull away from intimidaters. Good predictable handling."

By on Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"In five years of ownership, I have had no repairs made to this vehicle, other then oil changes."