• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2008 Nissan Frontier King Cab

Based on 156 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Get One!

By on Thursday, August 30, 2007

"Got to get one! Good for everyday driving and pulling. I use my truck for pulling a lot of material around and the truck never lets up. Gas mileage could be alittle better for a midsize, but hey it does have 265 HP."

By on Sunday, July 29, 2007

"what a great truck for such a low price, i'm glad i didn't buy a colorado for the same price, or a tacoma for thousands more"

36,000 miles and going strong

By on Saturday, March 15, 2008

"have owned Nissan pickups since 1984. I purchased an XE model (the 4-cylinder version) in August of 2005, with a bedliner and the Popular package including the sliding rear window, tinted windows, AC, and upgraded stereo. The release of the 2005 model year is a milestone for this series of vehicles. Here's why... Let's start with the frame. This is the toughest frame made for a truck in this size. It is a "junior" version of the same frame used by the Frontiers cousin,the full-size Titan, and it is a huge improvement over the very antiquated frame used by Nissan trucks from 1986.5 through 2004. While that old frame was certainly more car-like, this frame means business. It helps provide increased payload and towing capability over previous models, especially when coupled with the 6 cylinder engine. You get your choice of two different engines within the Frontier line. The 4 cylinder is a tried and true 2.5 liter 155 Horsepower engine that has been used for years in Nissan Altima and Sentra vehicles. It is coupled with a 5 speed manual or a 5 speed automatic. If you require lots of raw power, the 4 cylinder is not the choice for you. It could certainly be described as "gutless" in hard accelerating and has little power to spare for towing or working with heavy loads. On the other hand, you will get good mileage with the 4-banger. In 16,000 miles, gas mileage is solidly in the 22 mpg range with mostly freeway driving in Southern California. I have had only a few fills that gave me less than 22 mpg, and also only a few fills that gave me better than 23 mpg. The 21.1 gallon fuel tank means great range of 400+ miles from each tank. This really met my expectations well. If you need power however, then you really need to step up to the SE or LE line and get the 6 cylinder. The 4.0 liter 6 cylinder powerhouse produces 265 horsepower and compares nicely--to the competitions base 8 cylinder engines. The 6 cylinder from Nissan is paired with a 6 speed manual or a 5 speed automatic transmission. This engine along with a towing package will increase max towing capability to 6,500 pounds. Note--the 4 wheel drive and crew cab versions of this truck only come with the 6 cylinder, as the 4 cylinder would just not have enough ponies. The King cab version of this truck has swing-out rear doors to aid access to the area behind the seat. While there are fold down jump-seats in the rear, it takes a very small person in back, and a very cramped person in front with the front bucket seat slid forward most of the way. As a 6'2" driver, the jump seat behind my seat is never used. The bucket front seats have a very durable cloth covering, and have good firm support for a comfortable ride. These seats will give you all-day comfort. The rest of the interior is average in my XE model. I would love to say better things, but there is a dominating presence of plastic everywhere that may turn off some who want a more refined look and finish. The center console gives you a large storage area along with 2 cup holders. There are two more swing-out cup holders at the rear base of the center console for use by jump seat passengers. Instrumentation is solid and functional with a tach and an assortment of warning lights in an efficient arrangement. There is even a warning light for tire pressure! The CD/Radio with 4 speakers is OK, but don't expect thrilling true-sounding audio from this setup. The dash also features 2 different "glove box" storage compartments. One door swings down, holding the owners manuals. The other storage compartment door actually swings up. I didn't even know it was there for several months, as it simply looks like a covering for the airbag support system. That airbag system is connected to a seat sensor that turns off the passenger airbag if it does not detect an "adult" level of weight in the passenger seat. This is a great safety feature for younger riders. Nissan's commitment to safety is also present in standard 4-wheel anti-lock brakes. There are many accessories for the bed of this great truck. Nissan really pushes the Utilitrack system allowing easily adjustable anchor points for hauling items. I really do not carry cargo often, so I opted for the standard bedliner. You can also get a sprayed-on bedliner coating that is color-matched. All in all, this truck has grown up from it's little cousin predecessors."

4 cylinder engine is doing great

By on Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Pros: "4 cylinder fuel economy, ride, truck capability"

Cons: "4 cylinder is a bit loud"

"2012 Frontier SV 2.5L 4 cylinder - More than enough power for the daily commute (80 miles) and lets me drive 490+ miles per tank at 65 mph. Hauls 1,000 pounds in the bed without a problem. 154 horses isn't much but the 170+ foot pounds of torque more than make up for it. The V6 is much faster and quieter but just does not achieve the fuel mileage in town or on the highway as does the L4. Ride and handling are great. Not a fan of 4 cylinder motors but this one will do just fine for light to medium truck duty."

great truck

By on Thursday, November 28, 2013

Pros: "a six cylinder with all the power I needed."

Cons: "check engine light was always coming on"

"I cut wood for fun and it would haul a cord of wood with a trailer and go the speed limit both ways. It could go where the wood was with no problems. A drunk hit me a week ago and totaled the truck, after they cut me out I was able to walk away. Now I'm looking to buy another one just like it but not having much luck."

Happy I made the switch from Toyota

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"I've had this truck for over 3 years and have been very happy. I had a 99 Tacoma before this, but didn't like the Toyota's smaller size, rougher ride, and poor driving position. The seats in the Frontier are quite comfortable. Engine is more than adequate - even at a mile high. Had a bit of a problem with a mysterious squeak for a while early on, but after several attempts the dealer found the hood was rubbing against some rubber bumpers. Had a peek at the brakes when I replaced the tires last month. These things still have 80% life left front AND rear! I'm averaging 20-21 mpg combined city/hwy driving with the 4WD V6 Auto. I must say the interior is pretty cheap -- the plastic dash & panels scratch easily. Just put a new set of Yokohamas on, so hoping to get 50-60k from them like the original tires.Well done Nissan!"

highly recommended for the average home owner.

By on Monday, August 15, 2011

Pros: "Drives great. Has the pickup of a sports car."

Cons: "The down side is this truck has a lorge turning radius, not good in a tight spot."

"Great truck, just the right size and has plenty of power. will almost do the job of a full size. Have not had one bit of trouble since owning this truck."

Nice truck

By on Thursday, November 28, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, good power, good gas mileage"

Cons: "None yet"

"I really like this truck...6 cyl....SV model...lots of pep and fairly good mileage....20 city 23 highway....handles really well...I down sized from and F-150 crew cab...I'm older now and feel more in control of this truck the Nissan...the F-150 was huge and was nice...but i started having judgement issues because of it's size...depth persception...anyhow....the Frontier is really nice...i would recommend it..."

Has it's problems

By on Saturday, October 29, 2011

"Bought the PRO4-X package and have really liked the truck so far. However, my rear wheel seals and pinion seal have all failed in the past week. My wife has an 09 Xterra off road and has also had both of her rear wheel seals fail. Hers went at about 55,000 miles. Both vehicles were taken care of under warranty, but this tells me there are serious problems with the design of the rear axle. These seals should not be failing this early. The dealership has no explanation why it's happening either."

Excellent Ride

By on Friday, April 04, 2014

Pros: "Appearence, Style and Overall Performance"

Cons: "NONE"

"We were quite surprised how well this vehicle handles and performs on the road. Nissan put a really nice package together called the value package for the SV model. It comes with many of the accessories that were not part of any package in the past. It includes trailer towing package, SIRIUS XM, Sonar System and Back-Up Camera, Spray-in Bed-liner, and much more. I do miss the power seats and lumbar but it’s not that big of a deal. When I compared all the specifications to the Toyota Tacoma I think you are getting a lot more truck for the money. The chassis is a complete box channel frame compared to the Tacoma’s C channel frame. The Frontier also comes with front and rear disc brakes as a standard feature. I drove both and I think the Frontier is much better than the Tacoma. My truck is equipped with the V-6, Automatic Transmission and this truck is very fast and powerful. If you are looking for a all around good truck I would strongly recommend this truck."