• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2005 Nissan Frontier King Cab

Based on 156 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Best truck I have ever owned!

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "Off road, MPG, power and reliability!"

Cons: "NONE!"

"I bought the 2012 pro 4x brand new. I have owned 08 07 and 04 other makes trucks but have found this truck has everything I have ever wanted. I have 6 speed manual transmission. I have taken this truck hunting in the mountains through some of the harshest roads(or should I say goat trails) imaginable. My GPS told me to take a road to get to my hunting spot as the closest path. Needless to say, I found my way on to a goat path about 5' wide and steep cliff on the side. It took me about 3 hours to go 7 miles but was astonished my truck made it as well as with me in it. By the time I realized that my GPS was wrong, I could not turn around and made the decision to not back up because I had gone so far already. I just kept telling myself it was only going to get better, but only got worse. The stock pro 4x got me out and can now share my story. I have never been that scared in a vehicle ever. And I live in Idaho. This truck gives me 19 MPG in town and couldn't ask for a more reliable truck. I push the limits during hunting season and this truck allows me to make it back. I agree with Nissan stating this truck is superb in the off road department. Best truck and I will never get rid of it."

So far so good

By on Saturday, February 01, 2014

Pros: "Power, comfort, conveniences, decent fuel mileage"

Cons: "crazy bright odometer and 4x4 indicator lights"

"I bought this truck used. It drives nice. Power for towing a small boat is excellent and my actual calculated fuel mileage is better than expected. Right now around is an average of 18.4 and I often get 21-22 on the freeway. I get over 20 mpg on the freeway towing my boat at 65-70 mph."

This truck is great, i have the king cab nismo.

By on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pros: "fun, powerful, will last a long time"

Cons: "none so far"

"truck has got lots of snappy power and super fun to go run around in the woods. my check engine light does keep coming on, but i have been told as long as its not blinking its nothing serious. Also a down side is its a short bed so makes taking dirt bikes out."

Priced Cheap Built Cheap

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "Very affordably priced"

Cons: "Nissan is disinterested once the purchase is made"

"After 40K miles, lots of squeks, rattles, road noise is really loud, harsh ride, worst sound system I've heard since the old days of the AM only mono radios. Probably the most dissatisfying part of the experience is dealing with Nissan's "customer care" department. Had an issue with a heater fan and waited for over three weeks for a replacement part... for a new vehicle. Absolutely unacceptable. My purchase came down between this Frontier and a Tacoma. Made the wrong choice on this one."

Nissan. Quality is dropping

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

Pros: "Appearance"

Cons: "Overall. Quality is low"

"Problems with paint, washer bottle, blend door motor, fuel gauge, and door handles."

Great truck with a few minor issues

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pros: "Tough truck, good handling"

Cons: "Spark plug change at 100K"

"I have owned this truck since 40K miles where I bought it used from a dealer. It has been totally reliable for me. I changed the plugs at 100K myself (recommended) and it was a bear with extensions and universal swivels but the dealer wanted 350 dollars to do it and wanted to remove the intake but it is doable without that, with a little effort. The only issue now is the fuel guage not working right, It's a common issue but i use to odometer because to fix, the fuel tank must be dropped. After 50 miles or so the guage becomes accurate again. This is a very well built truck and fun to drive with the 6 speed stick. I average 20 around town and 23 on long trips. I plan to keep it till it wears out which might be a very long time!"

Average 4x4, fuel use ok, noisy in side.

By on Sunday, December 08, 2013

Pros: "Good high way truck."

Cons: "Poor off road truck."

"Purchased used with 20,000 miles. Transmission Failed after 75,000 miles due to radiator leaking water in to the transmission. Gasket filed in engine causing low oil pressure issues. Timing chain replaced but noise did not abate. $9000.00 in repairs."

great truck

By on Thursday, November 28, 2013

Pros: "a six cylinder with all the power I needed."

Cons: "check engine light was always coming on"

"I cut wood for fun and it would haul a cord of wood with a trailer and go the speed limit both ways. It could go where the wood was with no problems. A drunk hit me a week ago and totaled the truck, after they cut me out I was able to walk away. Now I'm looking to buy another one just like it but not having much luck."

Nice truck

By on Thursday, November 28, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, good power, good gas mileage"

Cons: "None yet"

"I really like this truck...6 cyl....SV model...lots of pep and fairly good mileage....20 city 23 highway....handles really well...I down sized from and F-150 crew cab...I'm older now and feel more in control of this truck the Nissan...the F-150 was huge and was nice...but i started having judgement issues because of it's size...depth persception...anyhow....the Frontier is really nice...i would recommend it..."

Tough truck for off road construction

By on Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pros: "designed and built to be tough, good value"

Cons: "none for me."

"This is a tough truck for working in a tough environment. I take it off road, up and down steep hills, over rock in cold, slushy conditions, hot, dry dusty conditions, and it just keeps on going. Other than putting large, deep tread tires and skid plates on for my construction job, I have not had any problems. I recommend this truck without reservation."

great economical truck

By on Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pros: "great economical truck"

Cons: "king cab is not large enough for kids"

"The 2008 Nissan Frontier SE Truck is economical and is quick to pick up speed. I have owned this truck for 3 years and have never had to have any major work done, just usual maintenance of the vehicle. It runs like a champ, and will carry a full load in the bed with no drag. The only con I can think of is the King cab is just not big enough for kids. Even though it has jump seats, there is still not enough room for kids. Also, if a car seat has to be installed for a baby or toddler, then the front seat is not usable because it has to be pushed forward so far to allow for room of the carseat in the back. Other than that, the truck is awesome!"

Solid Truck

By on Sunday, May 26, 2013

Pros: "Solidframe,tuned power,reliability,roominess,value"

Cons: "WOT restrction,no Aux input,alarm,lowish clearance"

"I've had this truck for 3 years and 35000 miles so far and is has been very reliable. No problems through the entire ownership so far other than a clicking through the steering column that the dealer is fixing under warranty. The truck feels solid and well-constructed, the doors are heavy and the frame is stiff. The bedliner is useful and durable. The price for a SE V6 4X4 with the value truck package was about 27,000 but I paid 21,300. Great value. The gas mileage is about 17 in my suburban/city driving. The V6 felt weak and would lag when I pressed the gas and it would rev high but not deliver. It felt like a 4 cylinder. Did some research and discovered that Nissan puts a Wide Open Throttle restriction on the engine which apparently cuts power by 33 percent. I bought a superchips tuner $300 and removed the restriction and it is night and day difference. The engine is very powerful and has great grunt and the lag is gone. Before the tuner, I almost sold the truck for a Ram because the V6 power was so abysmal. So the power is now excellent, the lag is gone (especially with overdrive turned off) and I still get about 17 mpg. The stock tires hhydroplaned often, so I bought Firestone Destination A/T and they are excellent. Great treadwear. Ground clearance seemed much lower than my last Tacoma, and I got stuck in deep snow often because the body hangs low. I lifted the truck two inches and it makes a huge difference. The truck didnt come with anything to hook up my iPod to, so I installed a kenwood navigation system which is great. Stock speakers when adjusted correctly are actually excellent. My only complaint is no alarm system or immobilizer came on the vehicle. It was added a year later to the value truck package. I'll add an immobilizer, alarm, and remote start combo soon. THe truck's looks are excellent, especially with the chrome bumper. The steering is very well weighted and speed sensitive. Brakes could be a lot better, they wern't bad for a while, but at 35000 miles, they might need new pads. Also, nissan extended the transmission and radiator warranty to about 8 years, 80000 miles due to some frontiers having cross contamination of fluids. Ill watch out for this. Overall, I am extremely satisfied with this truck. I had a 2009 tacoma and a 2010 Jeep wrangler Compareed to these two, the frontier is excellent. It feels a lot more solid than the tacoma and it has substantially more headroom and kneeroom and the headrests are not as obtrusive. And it is cheaper than comparably equipped tacomas and nissan seems more willing to negotiate. The tacoma was a good truck, high clearance and fast, but the Frontier is the better match for me-especially after the superchips tuner and the 2 inch lift kit. Additionally, this Frontier is very safe, according to the insurance institute of highway safety."

Great Truck!! Bought it new. Not one problem.

By on Saturday, May 11, 2013

Pros: "Great price, sturdy, runs well, attractive"

Cons: "Torque could be improved to handle a manual tranny"

"I love my truck. It's dependable, sturdy, reliable, handles very well. It's comforbable to travel long distances. Very stable when carrying a load. With the 2WD can drive in any weather. Low maintenance. An attractive vehicle. Gets lots of compliments on it's design."

Great Truck!

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "Feels Great to Drive."

Cons: "Little tough for a tall guy to get into."

"Owned this truck for almost 2 years. No problems. Will not get stuck in the snow. Could get a little better gas mileage. I am 6ft 2inch tall have a little trouble getting in. Drives great. Lots of pick up. Very comfortable. Looks great.No rattles or vibrations. Sound system is great too. Bluetooth is a good thing to have. I can talk while driving. Had a Dodge Dakota for 12 years I am sure I will have this truck much longer. I would buy another one anytime!"

This is my second

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

"In 2003 I bought my first Nissan Frontier. It was the 2000 model/four door. Last year I bought my second Nissan, a 2008 King Cab. both have been great trucks. I still own the 2000 Frontier and it currently has 160,000+ miles. I am the very proud owner of two Frontiers and would have three except I can't justify having three vehicles."

Fun to drive

By on Tuesday, March 26, 2013

"Really enjoy driving this truck. I tow a motorcycle trailer and I don't even notice it's there."

Very good truck

By on Thursday, January 31, 2013

"I have owned this Frontier since new. It has proven very reliable, with the exception of the electronics. I have had problems with the fuel sensor on numerous occasions, replacing it twice. It will soon be replaced for the third time. Have had trouble with the tire pressure monitors also. The truck likes gas, but it delivers outstanding performance. The engine is a real powerhouse. Have never had trouble getting around in snow as the easy to use 4WD system is excellent. I recommend this truck."

Great value for the money

By on Thursday, December 27, 2012

Pros: "Great value"

Cons: "Turning Radius"

"I bought it new in 2011. Had to really hunt for just a basic truck. Don't need all the bells and whistles just a reliable truck for light to medium hauling. I found a 4 cyl. manual transmission model (minimizes theft problems on the border). I generally average 25-26 mph. I use to haul mainly. I have been pleased with its handling and comfort."

Really Great vehicle!

By on Saturday, November 24, 2012

Pros: "handles well"

Cons: "I dont have heated seats or a sunroof-"

"I'v had this truck for 8 years and have only put a little over 100,00 miles on it. She has a lotta years left on her. No hiccups in 8 years, not one break down or unreliable moment. Realy awesome car & its cute & stylish as well!"

Good value for features and performance.

By on Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Pros: "good value for features and performance."

"Good in snow. Tow a 17' boat with this truck. About 2500 pounds without any issues. A bit sluggish towing at highway speeds when on inclines. You can expect 17-18 mpg in town and about 12 while towing. My Pro-x has all the bells and whistles-leather, sun roof, heated seats, locking differntial, enging brake. Have driven for about 18 months with no mechanical issues. I drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee prior to my Nissan purchase that had mechanical issues all the time."

It is the third Nissan truck I have owned.

By on Saturday, November 17, 2012

Pros: "powerful engine, good braking,"

Cons: "rearview field of vision could be better."

"This truck will haul hay and take u to the store. All with good mileage, power V6, and with the 4-wheel drive if it snows no problem. I really like my truck. It also holds its value for resale.Very good driving visibility and ride height too."

4 cylinder engine is doing great

By on Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Pros: "4 cylinder fuel economy, ride, truck capability"

Cons: "4 cylinder is a bit loud"

"2012 Frontier SV 2.5L 4 cylinder - More than enough power for the daily commute (80 miles) and lets me drive 490+ miles per tank at 65 mph. Hauls 1,000 pounds in the bed without a problem. 154 horses isn't much but the 170+ foot pounds of torque more than make up for it. The V6 is much faster and quieter but just does not achieve the fuel mileage in town or on the highway as does the L4. Ride and handling are great. Not a fan of 4 cylinder motors but this one will do just fine for light to medium truck duty."

Very Good truck Very happy

By on Friday, September 28, 2012

"Very good all around truck, 4x4 was great in the snow better than I hope for, very comfortable on long road trips I get 18/22mpg V-6 auto, 28 months 21,000 miles no problems at all, it has very nice sounding stock CD/Radio"

Great truck

By on Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, fast as heck with v6 , bed size"

Cons: "turning radius, passenger space in back of king ca"

"its a great truck the ride and seat comfort is amazing and the v6 puts out so much power and so quickly you get shell shock but one bad thing is its turning radius is well , it turns like an 18 wheeler but this is probably the best small truck out there one of the longest lasting to"

Chevy man 37 years

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2012

"After owning a nissan,I"m DONE with Chevrolet,Thats all I got..."