• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2003 Nissan Frontier King Cab

Based on 400 Ratings for the 1998 - 2004 models.

A Wonderful Truck!

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"I have owned this truck since new and it has done 280,000 miles of 95% city driving. It was purchased as a parts chaser and pizza delivery vehicle and has been used for these purposes for 9 years. The original clutch lasted 200k miles, and the starter went 270k. The original transmission had to be rebuilt at 245k miles and cost me $650 installed at a local transmission shop. Major flaws to look out for on this model include: leaky front crank seal. A $10 part that can destroy the A/C compressor clutch and harmonic balancer. One is $300, the other $200-part only. Typically, they go every 100k miles along with the rear crank seal which costs about the same. The shifter bushings tend to wear out and are under $10 at the dealer for the part (My truck is 97% owner serviced). The wiper transmission arm clips also tend to wear out every 75-100k miles at a cost of $14 each time. The sway bar end link bushings are a known failure point in the suspension. I replaced mine with a set of aftermarket endlinks from Energy Suspension at a cost of $20. I believe they are for a Chevelle. The rear drum brakes also tend to need adjustment every 5k miles at a cost of about 15 minutes of my time. The brake hydraulics and clutch hydraulics were all original until 278k miles when I needed to replace 1 caliper due to a bad seal. The steering box seals have also just failed, but the steering is still very tight. I have them on order at a cost of $30. I also had to replace the steering wheel due to wear at around 230k miles, and also did the driver's seat foam and upholsterey at that time with new factory parts. The white paint also started peeling at about the 7 year mark. I have since repainted it. I still drive it about 2500 miles a month and plan to do so until it gets to at least 400k. There is no reason to replace it when it is so much cheaper to run than it would cost to make a monthly payment."

The ultimate mid-sized truck

By on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pros: "Good value, great to drive on and off road"

Cons: "Poor acceleration, worse fuel economy."

"(2004 XE King cab 4WD 5spd manual) For the money, this is the best mid sized truck you can buy. Good looks, surprisingly rugged performance off road and even more surprisingly nimble in the corners. Great ride quality on the road. Soft and comfortable, but very agile for a truck if you get a little frisky in the corners. Bad weather or off road? Select 4WD high range in light snow or dirt and you can still corner at a high rate of speed even in adverse conditions. Throttle response and steering angle are good enough to allow some four wheel drifting. Deep snow, mud, rocks, or heavy duty pulling? Lock 4WD low range and be amazed at what this little truck can overcome. The excellent stock ground clearance coupled with Nissan's hearty four wheel drive make it downright hard to get stuck if you have any common sense as a driver. Even on all terrain tires this truck will out perform its competitors in a pinch. It even has all the gadgets you need, but none you don't. Power everything, tilt, cruise control, and a respectable sound system are all available from the factory and the interior is nicely laid out. Nothing fancy, but good quality and easy to clean. Now on to its only two real flaws: Horrible fuel economy especially when considering that it really doesn't make much power. At best I have averaged 17 mpg and the engine only makes 170 hp. In a straight line, the it is painfully slow even for a pickup, and the fuel economy is awful for a 3.3V6 built by the Japanese. If you add an intake, headers, a cam, and exhaust, the motor really wakes up (aprox 210hp) but you will need to get around emissions regulations to get it inspected. Also, the fuel economy will suffer even more. As for reliability, this is one tough machine. Mechanically it is superbly engineered, and with proper care will last well over 250k miles with no major problems. Lifter tap is an annoying characteristic of the motor, but a small price to pay for an all but bulletproof power plant. I have the 5spd Manual gearbox, and it is crisp and well geared. However, 5th gear is a bit of a stretch due to the long throw of the shift lever. As for the chassis, it does suffer from rust rather easily, particularly in the fasteners. If you are doing body work on one of these trucks, expect to snap one in every four of the small bolts you go to loosen. PB blast and WD40 are your best friends on any job. Overall I adore my Frontier. I have owned two prior Nissan truck models (D22 Hardbody 4cyl SE and 6cyl XE) but this is by far my favorite. Having one of these as a daily driver or even just as a utility vehicle will inevitably leave you very attached to the truck. No American made mid sized truck can come close to the standard the D23 Frontier sets and in my opinion only the Toyota Tacoma comes close in the import market. It is the quintessential Nissan: Well thought out, reliable, quietly brilliant and very under-rated."

Overall, a very good truck

By on Wednesday, December 16, 2009

"I bought this truck new about five and a half years ago and I've had no problems, routine maintenance only. I traded in a six cylinder Desert Runner with manual transmission, ( which I probably liked better ) because I was commuting a long distance and I wanted better gas mileage and no clutch to deal with in traffic. The only cons for this truck is the lack of power in those situations when you need it. You definitely have to hit the OD button if you're getting on the freeway or going up a hill or long grade. I don't think towing with this truck is really an option. Once you get up to speed it cruises just fine. The other problem is the steering wheel clearance. Even if you have the steering wheel in the highest position it barley clears your legs. It's something you get used to after a while, but when I first bought it I was always jamming my fingers into my legs when turning the wheel. I think if I were to buy another Frontier I would get a six cylinder."

Great truck

By on Monday, December 07, 2009

"had my 2004 for 4 years now , changed front tires at 130,000 miles rear tires at 133,000. This is a great running truck, nicely equipped. Haven't had any problems at all, if you can find one used buy it."

good all around truck

By on Monday, December 15, 2008

"i bought this truck used and it has never givin me any trouble. The 4 cyl was a bit sluggish but the 5speed made it a fun truck to drive. road noise was very loud on the highway although i think its the case with all Nissans. Even with checking tire psi daily and having tires rotated every 5000, at 47000 mi the tread came off the factory tire while i was driving on the highway. SURVIVABILITY IS EXCELLENT in this truck. when my left rear tread came off the truck immediately fishtailed to the left and ended up rolling 3 times. i walked away with only a black eye from the air bag. awsome truck that i wish i had back."

I LOVE my pickup.

By on Monday, December 03, 2012

Pros: "Driving it FEELS so natural and very handy."

Cons: "Mileage and backing the seat more. Leg room."

"If I can complain about ANYTHING, I wish it got better than a consistent 20 MPG and the seat could go back even 2 more inches. Otherwise, you can bury me in this truck. I LOVE IT! Totally dependable. Little maintenance need. A Winner!"

Great truck!

By on Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Pros: "reliable, comfortable and easy to work on."

Cons: "A/C randomly works and no work?"

"I bought this truck used with 109,000 miles on it. I had this truck for about 3 yrs now and 129,998 miles on it. This truck still runs great and with no major problems. So far, the only problem i had was with the A/C going bad. I replaced the discharge hose (leaking) for the A/C and the thermo control amplifier assembly and now it works perfect. I'm planing to keep this for a while, not thinking of selling it soon."

EXCELLENT TRUCK- VERY SAFE

By on Wednesday, October 22, 2008

"I loved my 99 Frontier. It was one of the best purchases I ever made. All I had to replace was oxygen sensors , oil changes , plugs , filters for cheap repairs. The best part is that my wife survived a head on collision which totalled the truck.The front air bags deployed and the vehicle took the crash very well- the windshield did not even break! This is one tough little truck and if your concerned about saftey, don't be, it passed our safety test AAA+++ I highly recommend this truck and I am in the proccess of looking for another one. There will be no substitue-GOTTA HAVE ANOTHER ONE!! Robert"

ENGINE PROBLEMS

By on Saturday, November 24, 2007

"From what I have heard my issues were an oddity. my 04 developed a knock somewhere around 20-22k which turned out to be a wrist pin failure. The dealer I leased it from short-blocked it. Ever since then it seems to feel like it has lower power. I did break in the new motor correctly. Other then that the truck has been pretty bullet-proof. It doesnt chew up oil or use antifreeze, I did recently develop a small p/s leak which I used some Lucus product to cure. All in all its decent on mileage. Runs great in the snow and even with its funny looks is not a bad looking truck. It kinda grows on you. I do wish I had waited one more yr to get into the new style but thats life. I gave it 4 stars across the board except reliability if I hadn't gotten the wrist pin issue I would have given it 4's and 5's"

very reliable

By on Tuesday, July 24, 2007

"I havent stuck a nickle into my 98 SE 4x4 other than normal maintenance. It has never let me down... ever"

Well engineered, great little vehicle overall.

By on Thursday, April 23, 2015

Pros: "Well engineered and fit and finish is wonderful"

Cons: "Engine is only a four cylinder, a bit under powerd"

Great and dependable all around

"I have owned this vehicle sine 2006, it had 30K miles on it when I bought it. It is one of those trucks that you never have to take a wrench to it. I have replaced the battery, and leaf springs and a new A/C compressor, all of them are still under warranty, this is a fine little truck. For the most part it has existed all o the time I have owned it, in Arizona. It has a class III hitch on it and it is very dependable all around. I keep it serviced and it runs, and runs and runs for me."

Great and dependable all around

best purchase I've made with a new vehicle

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Pros: "dependable and comfortable not bad power for 4cyl."

Cons: "hit wipers on,hard get between seat. traction fair"

"I've driven across this beautiful country and many miles between and never had a single problem. I bought knowing that the early nissan and datsan were dependable. Keep it taken care of and love it like you mean it and it will love you back with many non worry dependable miles."

Low maintenance cost of ownership

By on Sunday, February 23, 2014

Pros: "Low maintenance and good miles per gallon"

Cons: "Can not win a drag race but is dependable"

"This is the most reliable and dependable vehicle I have ever owned. Very low maintenance and good overall mpg at 22. A recent engine compression test is still around factory specs at 150. Hopefully I will get another 100000 miles out of it."

Unbeatable reliability

By on Monday, August 06, 2012

Pros: "Economical and reliable - rides and handles well"

Cons: "No cons."

"I bought this 1998 Frontier in 2000, with 38,000 miles on it. Now, in 2012, and 85000 miles on it, I am amazed at the lack of repairs needed. Other than routine maintenance, like tires, brakes, fuel filter etc, this vehicle has required no expense for upkeep. It runs well, rides and handles well. Even the A/C has never needed servicing. This is my fifth Nissan truck. I am now retired and the present one is just for normal family use. The previous four were used in my buisness. The only repair expense was for a clutch plate replacement at 100,000 miles, much of it pulling heavy boat trailers."

This was the first vehicle that I ever bought new.

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "Great for the weekend off road trip."

Cons: "Mileage not great with the 4X4"

Just paused for a photo

"12 years later I still own it and love it. Great in the sand and climbs well. I have never had any problems with it and when I buy another truck it will be a frontier."

Just paused for a photo

best truck ive ever owned

By on Friday, March 16, 2012

"350000 on same motor"

Anything else would be uncivilized.

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pros: "Lasts forever"

Cons: "No ashtray"

"204000 miles, routine maint. only. Still running with original battery. When does that ever happen? Motor"

I LOVE MY TRUCK!

By on Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Pros: "Small and easy to drive, good MPG, low maintenance"

Cons: "Cloth interior not as tough as rest of truck"

"This was my first new car and it has been worth it. It is dependable, easy to maintain and durable. How many little chevy or ford trucks make it over 100k? Try over 200k."

This truck is simply amazing

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

"I have owned the truck for 3 1/2 years and other than normal oil changes I have only replaced the battery and a headlight. The only major repair was the timing belt which is costly, but expected. The truck had 100,000 miles on it when I bought it. I drive all over SC for work and at 205,000 miles I have no reservations about driving anywhere in the truck."

2002 XE king is reliable

By on Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Have had no issues other than with the cargo area lamp, and one bad fuse on the blower fan. The ride is a bit stiff and bumpy, but otherwise, a reliable vehicle."

Good Truck

By on Tuesday, March 17, 2009

"I have a 1999 4 Cyn. Frontier XE King Cab with a 5 speed manuel. I've had this truck since 2004. I use it daily to get to work and back. I drive about 70 miles a day. I also use it in my country place to haul wood, dirt, etc. It's gotta a few dings and the seats are a little worn but other then that it's a good truck. I've been asked more then once if I want to sell it. Other then the normal maintenance e.g. oil changes, tires, tune up, new brakes I haven't done anything major to it. I live in S. Tx so I gotta have a good AC. I run the AC all summer and the engine always runs cool. I would recommend this truck to any one interested in getting a reliable pickup. One last thing it's got 165000 plus miles. It's like that old commercial says: it just keeps on ticking...."

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Friday, October 17, 2008

"I'm 69 years old and have owned many vehicles new and used. This truck was bought in 2001 as a program vehicle w/19000 miles on it. It now has 195000. Aside from oil changes, tires, brake pads and shocks the only thing I've replaced is the Alt., the starter and heater blower motor. It uses no oil, gets 25+ mpg, has no rust or other issues. It is far and away the best vehicle I've ever owned."

Very Reliable

By on Thursday, October 16, 2008

"I bought this truck when it only had 35,000 miles on it and drove it for the past 8 years. Now it has over 250,000 miles. All I ever did was just the normal routine maintenance. If you want dependability, this truck is definitely it. The only disappointment that I have is the gas mileage. Only getting 25 mpg with a 4-cylinder irks me some. Other than that - Great Truck!"

Tuff Stuff

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"I'm a big camper, this truck carries to its weight limit and never groans. I haven't had to replace anything major, I haven't even had regular oil changes (bad girl) this truck doesn't even hiccup. It drives 320 miles a week at about 80 mph. Two flaws no giddyup and the window seals aren't great. This truck is a great value."

Great, Reliable Compact truck

By on Friday, June 13, 2008

"I have owned two Frontiers (had one wrecked by a Chevy 3/4 ton). This truck is by far the best Japanese truck for the money. I bought it new with a 4cyl manual tranny and bare-bones options but I consistently get 25+ MPG combined city/hwy driving. When Nissan went to the new body-style this truck got way too big for $4 a gallon gas. Now everyone wants a small truck - I will keep this thing until the wheels fall off!"