• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide

2003 Nissan Frontier King Cab

Based on 392 Ratings for the 1998 - 2004 models.

very nice truck

By on Saturday, February 01, 2014

"his truck is in excellent condition. been smoged."

BULLET PROOF

By on Sunday, December 15, 2013

I want this car

Pros: "Bullet Proof Truck"

Cons: "Toyota gets all the credit"

"I just turned over 490k miles. I had to rebuild the transmission (auto) at 420k. This truck is unbreakable. What else do I need to say?"

best vehicle i ever owned

By on Thursday, December 05, 2013

Pros: "takes you anywhere without any problems"

Cons: "could use a little more power"

"I have owned this vehicle for 15 years. Never had any major problems. Love this vehicle. Great on gas. I would recommend this nissan frontier to all who are looking for a small very reliable truck."

One of the best trucks I have owned!

By on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pros: "price with reliabilty"

Cons: "noise level,payload,ride"

"The last Nissan truck I had for 13 years a 1990 Pathfinder! The Frontier was the same truck only more modern. Someone hit me in a parking lot and the insurance wants to total it? I don't see a new truck that will compare to this? Why?"

great little truck

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "all most every thing"

Cons: "could have a little more power"

"I,ve hauled any thing that would fit in or on and never had a problem change oil every 4000 still runs great"

Great Truck

By on Sunday, October 27, 2013

Pros: "very reliable & dependable truck"

Cons: "you can't shift on the fly into 4x4 high."

"I bought this truck used (2nd owner) with 29k I have 97k on it now. It has been trouble free. It still has the original brakes & exhaust, everything! I did have to replace the rear bumper do to rust. No rust on the body and underneath is holding up good. When I am done with this truck my next one will be a Nissan Frontier. I just hope they still make them as good as this one has been for me."

2004 Nissan Frontier King Cab

By on Saturday, October 12, 2013

Pros: "great little truck"

Cons: "too small 4 me"

"I bought this 2004 Nissan Frontier King Cab used with 35000 miles I drove it like I stole it overloaded for 6 years now its my wife's daily commuter I have only preformed maintenance I only replaced tires, brakes, belts,windshield wipers and oil & filter every 4k miles that's it it still gets 22 combined mpg 70% hwy"

Will run forever. Great Truck!

By on Thursday, September 12, 2013

Pros: "Handles well and can carry a load."

Cons: "Could be more powerful, you'd have to buy more gas"

"I bought this new in 2004. It's a very reliable with no problems ever. I guess I am in the market for a vehicle that I can haul my golfer buddies with me. after nearly ten years with mine. As you can see I haven't driven it very far with only 35,500 miles on it. The only thing I have had done other than routine maintenance was a battery change. I have noticed the belt squealing so that's the next issue. Runs great, fairly easy on the gas, for a truck. Tinted windows and a lid on the back."

Great commuter vehicle.

By on Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Pros: "Good economy, cheap to insure"

Cons: "Not a powerhouse or heavy duty"

"Great little truck. Gas mileage consistently in the high 20s with mixed driving. Air conditioning affects mileage in a big way. Have done only normal maintenance. Only on my third set of tires in 230000+ miles"

The ultimate mid-sized truck

By on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pros: "Good value, great to drive on and off road"

Cons: "Poor acceleration, worse fuel economy."

"(2004 XE King cab 4WD 5spd manual) For the money, this is the best mid sized truck you can buy. Good looks, surprisingly rugged performance off road and even more surprisingly nimble in the corners. Great ride quality on the road. Soft and comfortable, but very agile for a truck if you get a little frisky in the corners. Bad weather or off road? Select 4WD high range in light snow or dirt and you can still corner at a high rate of speed even in adverse conditions. Throttle response and steering angle are good enough to allow some four wheel drifting. Deep snow, mud, rocks, or heavy duty pulling? Lock 4WD low range and be amazed at what this little truck can overcome. The excellent stock ground clearance coupled with Nissan's hearty four wheel drive make it downright hard to get stuck if you have any common sense as a driver. Even on all terrain tires this truck will out perform its competitors in a pinch. It even has all the gadgets you need, but none you don't. Power everything, tilt, cruise control, and a respectable sound system are all available from the factory and the interior is nicely laid out. Nothing fancy, but good quality and easy to clean. Now on to its only two real flaws: Horrible fuel economy especially when considering that it really doesn't make much power. At best I have averaged 17 mpg and the engine only makes 170 hp. In a straight line, the it is painfully slow even for a pickup, and the fuel economy is awful for a 3.3V6 built by the Japanese. If you add an intake, headers, a cam, and exhaust, the motor really wakes up (aprox 210hp) but you will need to get around emissions regulations to get it inspected. Also, the fuel economy will suffer even more. As for reliability, this is one tough machine. Mechanically it is superbly engineered, and with proper care will last well over 250k miles with no major problems. Lifter tap is an annoying characteristic of the motor, but a small price to pay for an all but bulletproof power plant. I have the 5spd Manual gearbox, and it is crisp and well geared. However, 5th gear is a bit of a stretch due to the long throw of the shift lever. As for the chassis, it does suffer from rust rather easily, particularly in the fasteners. If you are doing body work on one of these trucks, expect to snap one in every four of the small bolts you go to loosen. PB blast and WD40 are your best friends on any job. Overall I adore my Frontier. I have owned two prior Nissan truck models (D22 Hardbody 4cyl SE and 6cyl XE) but this is by far my favorite. Having one of these as a daily driver or even just as a utility vehicle will inevitably leave you very attached to the truck. No American made mid sized truck can come close to the standard the D23 Frontier sets and in my opinion only the Toyota Tacoma comes close in the import market. It is the quintessential Nissan: Well thought out, reliable, quietly brilliant and very under-rated."

best vehicle ever owned!

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "Great truck"

Cons: "a bit guttless in 1st gear."

"put alot of hard miles on this truck and it is the best vehicle I've ever owned. NEVER had to push it. The only reason I am selling it is because I need a 4X4. Great gas mileage. Only had to replace shockes and a battery. It's reliable and will greatly miss it. I'm only going to buy Nissan's from now on. I especially like the fact it has a larger cab than any of the smaller trucks."

Have only used it to drive in 15 mile radius.

By on Monday, May 06, 2013

Pros: "comfortable interior, well worth $7,500 price,"

Cons: "has cup holders"

"(around town). I have washed and wax it 2 times a year since I bought in 2000 (orginal owner). I change the oil 1 time per year (only use AMS synthetic oil). No accidents since I have owned it. Michelium Tires (2 years old). Getting new shocks (all 4 wheels) this Friday (May 10, 2013). Delaware Tags good till February 2015. The only problem since 2000 has been (a recall) of front Stabilizer Bars(a rod about 6 inches long next to tires) has been replace about 3 times (about $100.00 each time). Averages 20 miles per gallon."

i love this truck

By on Wednesday, May 01, 2013

"one of the most reliable trucks that i have"

I LOVE my pickup.

By on Monday, December 03, 2012

Pros: "Driving it FEELS so natural and very handy."

Cons: "Mileage and backing the seat more. Leg room."

"If I can complain about ANYTHING, I wish it got better than a consistent 20 MPG and the seat could go back even 2 more inches. Otherwise, you can bury me in this truck. I LOVE IT! Totally dependable. Little maintenance need. A Winner!"

Keeping my Frontier

By on Tuesday, October 30, 2012

"I like my 2004 Nissan Frontier enough that I've decided to keep it instead of trading it in when I buy a new vehicle."

GREAT Truck!!!!!!!!

By on Sunday, September 02, 2012

Pros: "Quality, Quality. Never any mechancial trouble."

Cons: "Don't really have any."

"Brought this truck in '04. Put almost 100k miles on it, and so far only needed a water pump. Have moved my daughter several times, across several states, we haul all kinds of stuff in the bed, rock, landscaping material. Never a problem. Great in the snow of the rocky mts. Going to get another one next year."

Unbeatable reliability

By on Monday, August 06, 2012

Pros: "Economical and reliable - rides and handles well"

Cons: "No cons."

"I bought this 1998 Frontier in 2000, with 38,000 miles on it. Now, in 2012, and 85000 miles on it, I am amazed at the lack of repairs needed. Other than routine maintenance, like tires, brakes, fuel filter etc, this vehicle has required no expense for upkeep. It runs well, rides and handles well. Even the A/C has never needed servicing. This is my fifth Nissan truck. I am now retired and the present one is just for normal family use. The previous four were used in my buisness. The only repair expense was for a clutch plate replacement at 100,000 miles, much of it pulling heavy boat trailers."

I Love my 03 Frontier

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

"This truck has been GREAT! I'm the 2nd owner, bought it with 26,000 mi. now it has 88,000. It still has the original brakes all around"

Great truck!

By on Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Pros: "reliable, comfortable and easy to work on."

Cons: "A/C randomly works and no work?"

"I bought this truck used with 109,000 miles on it. I had this truck for about 3 yrs now and 129,998 miles on it. This truck still runs great and with no major problems. So far, the only problem i had was with the A/C going bad. I replaced the discharge hose (leaking) for the A/C and the thermo control amplifier assembly and now it works perfect. I'm planing to keep this for a while, not thinking of selling it soon."

Best Truck I have Ever Owned!

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "Fuel Economy, Cold AC, Hauls more than you think."

Cons: "AC on in defrost!"

"I have a 2003 Nissan Frontier XE, with approx. 75700 miles. It always starts, cold AC, and good gas mileage. I had one AC hose go bad, and replace it myself. AC is VERY Cold on a 90 degree day. There are a few things that I wish NISSAN did better: 1. AC Compressor will stay on after using defroster. When you switch from defrost back to vent, the AC is still on. The only way to get it to turn off is to turn off the engine. 2. The radio work great, but, there could be a bit more volume. 3. Seats could have been a bit more comfortable. Overall, this is an exelent truck. I hope she lasts for a few more years... Being a NISSAN, she will!"

This was the first vehicle that I ever bought new.

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "Great for the weekend off road trip."

Cons: "Mileage not great with the 4X4"

Just paused for a photo

"12 years later I still own it and love it. Great in the sand and climbs well. I have never had any problems with it and when I buy another truck it will be a frontier."

Just paused for a photo

I love this truck!

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Good gas mileage, no major mechanical failures"

Cons: "Wind through windows is loud on the highway"

"I bought this truck used, it was a lease I bought from a dealership in 2003. Nine years later it has more than paid for itself. My husband says we should get me a new car but every time I tell him, "Let's give her 2 more years." She has not failed me yet. She runs like a champ and I know I can count on her to start even in below freezing temperatures. Sometimes her doors freeze when we've had an especially cold snow fall but I always feel confident about her running and getting me to work without breaking down. Repairs have been minimal, normal wear and tear. Even if I did purchase a new or newer car, I think I would be disappointed because this truck is so dependable and well-made that nothing could replace it or compare. I hope she runs another 150,000 miles so I don't have to give her up!"

makes house/yard errands easy

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "easy to drive, gas milage better than expected"

Cons: "back seat best for accessories, not people"

"I have owned this truck for 2 years and have had no major issues. It's perfect for trips to warehouse clubs, hardware stores and runs to the trash dump. Passenger area is roomy. There is a third seat in the cab, best for a child out of booster seat, but not too big. My 11 year old daughter fits perfect. The best shifting vehicle I have ever driven."

best truck ive ever owned

By on Friday, March 16, 2012

"350000 on same motor"

Anything else would be uncivilized.

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pros: "Lasts forever"

Cons: "No ashtray"

"204000 miles, routine maint. only. Still running with original battery. When does that ever happen? Motor"