• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2014 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,725 - $22,364.

"What Others Paid" is based on the last 90 days within 250 miles.

10/7.2

Based on 524 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

A Great Vehicle

By on Sunday, December 01, 2013

Pros: "Good on gas, nice to look upon, sturdy"

Cons: "no ash tray"

"Hi I have really enjoyed owning this vehicle. As a lady truck driver, I've found it to be just the right size, good on gas and fancy to look upon! It comfortably seats 5 people and has a nice sound system. I only wish I had purchased the one with ALL the options! The Frontier is a wonderful truck!"

Very happy with this truck.

By on Friday, October 25, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, cost, smooth and quite ride."

Cons: "Arm rest is all I can think of that's a con."

"I am very happy with this truck. I haven't owned enough vehicles to know what I'm missing really so I can only offer things that I dislike. Fuel could be better considering full size trucks get basically the same now. But the 17-18 is accurate. My biggest gripe, which is not bad, is the comfort of the driver seat. The arm rest is to far to the rear of the vehicle. The same goes for the driver door arm rest. The seat could probably have a little better quality. This is really only an issue with a longer trip. Ultimately, my next Frontier will not be a base model. I will get 4x4, sun roof, leather and all the bells and whistles I had with my previous vehicle. But I'm almost positive it will be another frontier. The only other option would be a Titan, depending on difference in cost and fuel. I think the additional cab room would be nice. So far, (knock on wood) no mechanical issues whatsoever."

Great,dependable truck 100000 miles

By on Monday, November 07, 2011

Pros: "Reliability,power,agility for truck,roomy"

Cons: "Gas mileage,long turning radius,cloth interior"

"This is the only vehicle I've kept for 100000 miles and I am still keeping for my teenager to drive next. Pros:reliability,power,agile for a truck-drove well on snow for 2-wheel drive,roomy,no stooping or straightening to get in and out.Cons:19 mpg avg.,long turning radius,cloth interior retains spills.Overall a great truck/vehicle and,yes,I would buy it all over again."

Good truck bad gas mileage

By on Friday, November 04, 2011

Pros: "Good little truck looks good in and out fair price"

Cons: "If it had good gas mileage this would be a 10"

"I just bought a new Frontier SV crew cab so far so good I am impressed with the interior and exterior of the vehicle I was never a Nissan person I had 1988 300ZX which I won under the lemon law my money back now I am impressed. I only wish this Frontier was electric I am getting about 230 mi. on a tank (10-12MPG surprising) it defeated the reason for buying it. I wanted to drive around to visit my customers to get more business in this crappie economy I get better gas mileage with my old Chevy van 3500."

Decient truck

By on Friday, November 05, 2010

"I have this vechicle and my best friend owns a TRD 05 Tacoma. After 5 years of ownership I wish I would have spent the extra money on a tacoma, this frontier has had multiple problems. The Catalytic converters failed at 82,000 mi (2000 after warranty) nobody at nissan had any empathy, now the fuel sending unit has died and there's another recall I'm not applicable for because of mileage... make a better truck nissan. IMO buy the tacoma Repaired or replaced Driveline U joints ECM Chip Fuel Sending unit Rear wheel bearing Engine Belt won't stop squeeling, Replaced tensioner and belt multiple times to no avail. After belt it replaced squeeling stops for a week or so. master Window control stopped controlling other windows."

Wonderful truck

By on Thursday, July 02, 2009

"I love the Frontier. Did tons of research, tested a Tacoma, not even close in comfort and fun factor. The size is perfect for our family. Love the sound system. Feel very safe and in control, would never buy a different truck. We have a Maxima that we just love, and wanted the same engine and build in our truck. Tacomas are more expensive, noiser, choppier, and rough. Don't do it. The Frontier is the best in it's class and the incentives for June were fabulous"

After 4yrs of ownership

By on Thursday, May 14, 2009

"I've had my Frontier since Oct 2005, and overall I would say I've been quite pleased with this small truck. There are a few aesthetic changes I might suggest, but if you're looking for reliability, value, and a great driving vehicle - this is definately one I'd recommend. I researched small trucks for over a year before deciding that the Frontier XE (manual transmission and no autolocks or autowindows - call me old school) was the one I wanted. Two test drives later, I was sold. Sticker price was $24K, we paid less than $15K with a free hardtop for the bed (in addition to all the "standards") after some "negotiations" with sales staff. Would suggest upgrading the stereo system after purchase (the factory speakers have survived 4 years of blaring rock and roll though - impressive!) 4 star review. 4 years later, I still love this truck! One more minor thing worth mentioning, at 5'1" I have plenty of room - my husband at 6'4" disagrees, though he does physically fit it's not as comfy for him - taller buyers might try the Titan."

2008 Nismo 4x4 Crew Cab

By on Tuesday, December 30, 2008

"I bought this truck after careful comparison with the Toyota Tacoma TRD. I wanted a mid-size truck that would get decent gas mileage, be capable off-road and towing heavy loads for work around the house, and room to haul the family to the mountains for ski/camping trips. Lots of test drives, value for the dollar, and room for 3 kids in the back seat led me to buy the Nissan Frontier. After 7 months owning the truck and driving in many different environments, I definitely made the right decision. Thoughts are as follows: Power: Very smooth and powerful V6. I have had the truck over numerous Colorado mountain passes fully loaded with kids/hunting gear and it climbs efforlessly. Gas mileage better than expected - 22+ MPG from Gunnison to Denver over and down multiple mountain passes with gear. Off-road Capability: Very capable in both snow and mud. Did not use chains on a recent hunting trip - the rear locker makes all the difference. Off road ride is better than my old Jeep Wrangler and many friends' Range Rovers. Received numerous compliments from friends on rocky terrain ride quality. This is a heavy truck and it pays dividends off-road. Climbs like a mountain goat. Nissan could have improved by putting more aggressive tires on the Nismo 4x4 (mud terrain vs all-season). The on-road ride of the Nismo 4x4 is perfect in my opinion - what a capable off-road truck should be - firm but not jaw shattering. Bump steer at highway speeds could be improved, and the turn radius is wide and takes some getting used to for parking. I consider these downsides minor vs the many positives the truck has to offer. Overall this is substantial truck for the money. This is my 5th truck and arguably the best. I like the interior room, ride, and power over the Tacoma. The Tacoma was very torquey and had a ride that did not seem to dampen the bumps - it seemed like I felt bumps multiple times on and off road. The V6 of the Frontier seemed smoother and more consistent through the power band. I have pulled 3500 lb. tractors on dual axel car hauler trailers with this truck and can say the power is excellent. Overall I'm pleased with the Frontier. I had originally talked myself into a Tacoma until I did the test drive and priced each truck. Toyota was disappointingly proud of their Tacoma and it resulted in my test drive of the Nismo and eventual purchase. I would tell anyone interested in a mid-size 4x4 truck to seriously consider the Frontier. If you are truly going to use the truck off-road, you can't go wrong with the Nismo package."

Great small truck

By on Sunday, December 02, 2007

"I have owned a few trucks in my time. This is my third Nissan PU. I find that Toyota is over priced for what you get and you can get just as good of truck with the Nissan. I have an 88 Hard body also, and if this one treats me as good as that one I will never be buying another new truck again. The Frontier has great passing power. Pulls my 14' trailer with 3 quads with no problems, handles good and is not bad at all with comfort. I like the looks of it and am very happy with the vehicle itself. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone."

fun to drive, smooth ride, great amenities

By on Monday, April 28, 2014

Pros: "styling, sound system, good looks"

Cons: "for lack of any cons- better gas mileage"

"I have had 5 Chevy Silverado's 1500, decided to try a Nissan and scale down. I do not miss the big truck. The frontier is all I need, smooth ride love the 4WD. This truck is dependable! My wife loved mine so much she went and bought a Xterra the next week! You can't go wrong."

Love my Nissan frontier crew cab! Would buy again.

By on Monday, March 31, 2014

Pros: "Powerful, fun to drive, hauls anything"

Cons: "I brag on my truck all the time; a pleasure to own"

"Perfect size; not too small, not too big. Can park easily & the gas mileage is not bad at all. Does just about anything a full sized truck can do. I have been renovating my house, hauling building materials with this truck. Love it!"

Solid Truck

By on Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Pros: "Sporty ride, more power than the competition"

Cons: "Wish it sat higher, plastic interior"

"I bought this truck new over a year ago. I enjoy offroading and went for the Pro4x package with a 6 speed manual transmission. The combination of the motor and the transmission offers sufficient power. I do wish the 1st gear was a little longer because I feel that shifting is needed earlier than I would like, but it is nice for driving down a sand wash. The truck has a very solid but not stiff ride. After driving other vehicles and returning to this, the ride quality to me seems better. The other vehicles being a Ford Flex, newer Town and Country and a '12 Dodge Ram 4x4. My only complaint would be the interior. The seats are nice and the design is nice but I don't care for the plastics. For a $30,000 truck it would be nice if the dash was softer and the door panels also. I really enjoy this truck and feel it is a better value than the competition. The Toyota Tacoma is a great truck but is priced too high for a similar option package. The Frontier is also a great truck for city driving because of its size. It is easy to park compared to the F-150 I previously had. With the six-speed manual I get a combined average of 17.5 mpg. That is not great but for a 4x4, crew-cab truck it is not bad. It took about 10,000 miles for the clutch to break in completely but after it did the shifting process became very smooth. I love this truck."

Great truck 2005

By on Monday, July 30, 2012

Reason: fuel economy

Pros: "Reliable, fun"

Cons: "Bed is inches too small to fit a sheet of drywall"

"Fuel economy is really good, solid driving feel, I had approximately two mechanical issues post-accident. If I had never had an accident, I imagine I would have gone 200,000 before having any mechanical issues. Styling is good, view of surrounding road can't be beat, plenty of pep for acceleration."

I am 64 and this the best vehicle I have ever had

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "great sound, great truck,rides like a big car"

Cons: "no complaints"

"I have had this car from new, and have not been dissatified with it. It has 94,000 on it, and still runs like a champ."

Great Small truck

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "tows like a full size, comfy and tough"

Cons: "gets squirlley when towing uneven loads, sway bar!"

"This is a great weekend warrior pickup. Roof racks and bed extender come in real handy. Very impressed with drivability while towing, and overall handling. Although, if the load is only slightly uneven trailer sway gets pretty bad. A 60gallon cooler hanging on the back of our camper does it every time without sway bars. Interior is nice also, lots of cubbies and handy extras throughout. Nissan also avoided that, "it'll break if I touch it" feeling you get in dodge/chrysler vehicles. Be wary of the 2006 (production date of 5/06 or sooner) V6 models. There is a timing chain issue that wipes out the engine. Make sure the production date is 6/06 or later. You can find the pro date on the VIN sticker in the driver door jam. These will have the redesigned and very dependable v6. Otherwise this is one very dependable truck overall and I highly recommend it to anyone in need of a truck that doesn't want the gas guzzling or extra size of a full size pick up."

Best Truck I've ever own

By on Monday, November 21, 2011

Pros: "Great Truck with alot of extra's"

Cons: "no astray"

"Truck been very reliability and have had no issue's or trouble. 4.0L engine still as powerful as when I test drove it new. The Radio still working great and the Heater defrost the winshild very fast."

great for a work truck!

By on Monday, August 29, 2011

Pros: "great for towing"

Cons: "grown men not comfortable in back seat"

"We purchased this truck used at 36,000 miles from a teenager who probably never towed anything with it. Since then we have enjoyed this trucks towing capabilities for utility trailers packed down with equipment and the cab holding four men with tools in the bed. It has performed very well with great acceleration. Some draw backs include, the back seats are not made for grown men, so long rides are uncomfortable and hard on the back and legs. Also shortly after our purchase, a bolt that rattled loose from the tranismisson case and caused us to replace the bearing, but we were still able to pull the trailer home while this was happening. We have not had any other mechanical problems since this just minor glitches, for example, some of the lights in the dash have come on since driving in the rain and will not turn off, but they have not affected it's perfomance. We have the 4x4 and have used it for this purpose, works great. Normal driving in town is a bit bumpy and sways on turns, but not alarmingly. Road noise could be better filtered out from the cab, but it could be our choice in tires ( heavy duty 10 ply with nitrogen).Favorite options include deep cup holders in the door panels, deep storage arm rest, dash and storage under back seat. Our truck has a six disk cd changer with subwoofer, although there is a draw back with radio when it gets too hot inside the cab, the radio will not work until the ac cools the interior down enough. Options I wish it offered would be ac vents and softer seats for passengers in the back. My husband fits in this truck just fine, but being a small woman, I would like to have the pedals come to me instead of my seat coming to the pedals (It creats a situation where my knees are almost touching the dash)and I have to use a back support to be able to reach the pedals and still be able to lean on the back of the seat at the same time. I'm only 5'1 so it's not comfortable for me to drive long distances in this truck, but if you are taller than me, this truck has good head clearance inside."

nice truck

By on Friday, May 20, 2011

"The 2007 nissan frontier won't let you down. It has great get up and go. The only negative thing I have to say is it's not very comfortable for long trips of 2 hours or more. It's a bit of a bumpy ride. Gas mileage is great for a truck at 20mpg."

Better Than Toyota

By on Wednesday, June 23, 2010

"I was trying to deal with a Toyota dealer, and my son gave me a call. I went to the Nissan dealer next door, and drove away with my new Nissan for about $8,000 less than the toyota. This is all of the truck that you would want. Everything works perfect. The dealer was great, and no pressure to buy."

Good Truck

By on Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"Only down side, turning radius and back seat comfort."

By on Sunday, April 19, 2009

"Well i bought this truck brand spankin new little over a year ago. I went with the Nismo 2wd edition....wish i had gone with the 4wd but kinda got caught up in the moment at the dealer. I also got the Rockford Fosgate system and sunroof/roofrack. I peronally think its a great looking truck...maybe just a little narrow, but this helps on the trails. Ive taken it on some really brutal trails and it performed superbly for a 2wd...rear locker does wonders. Only been stuck once, in really loose gravel on steep sidways angled trail. If i had 4wd would have no problem. Ride height is a little bigger than the Tacoma. Skid plates have come in handy numerous times...and seem to of ample thickness. Going up some of the steep, rockier trails makes me wish i had a manual...or low 4wd...the power just kicks in alittle too much with the automatic and the tires spin alot, even when in first gear. But overall i been VERY pleased with offroad performance. Interior is setup very nicely. The RF system really bumps. I like the ipod connect that i have with mine too. Im 6'4" and still fit pretty comfortably...my hair just barely rubs the headboard and my knees clear the dash barely. The driver seat adjusts in all kinds of ways! I like the rear cargo lamp. Its come in handy when lookin thru the back at night. I have the crew cab, and it seems to fit my average sized friends ok...sure they wouldnt be very comfortable on long trips though. Plenty of space to put things inside...lots of cubholes. Dual glovebox is pretty cool too. Engine has run superbly thus far...plenty of power for my liking. Ride is very comfortable...bumps are little stiff but for a truck with offroad shocks its does nicely on the city. Turning radius is pretty big, but you get use to it. Ive only had it in the shop for one thing other than oil, and that was entirely my fault. I rammed the fan shroud up on one of my trail endeavors and it was nickin the fan. The dealer actually covered under warranty evern though i was offroading it! I should have had to pay for it, but the dealer was very cooperative and understanding. Props to them on that. Gas mileage is about 17.5 in the city...round 20 highway. I expected this coming in with a truck. Overall i love the truck...i would keep it forever except i want a 4wd....which will be a nissan frontier of course. Great Truck."

Great Truck but has a couple of areas to improve

By on Friday, January 02, 2009

"I bought this truck about a year ago and have really enjoyed it. The in bed rails from the factory are great for tying down cargo and work extremely well. four wheel drive and traction control are nice on this truck. There are a couple of things that could be improved. Driver legroom is a little tight and I am not an overly tall guy... 6'2". The truck is a little sluggish pulling a trailer and definitely does not like pulling up 4% and greater mountain grades. Also the factory tires are passenger 4-ply BFG's instead of the light truck 6-ply. Most people will probably not notice this but it is a truck and should have the better tires. just an area where Nissan tried to cut some cost. The final thing is probably the most annoying and that is the rock chips on the front side of the rear fender. Nissan applied a protector to this area but it is not sufficient and you will find identical rock chips on 99% of all used frontiers with this body style. Overall it is a good truck and maintains its value well. I expect to have this truck for many years with very few problems."

Great Truck

By on Saturday, October 18, 2008

"This is my 3rd new truck in 8 years and I'm finally happy. #1 Ford Ranger & #2 Dodge Dakota were both in the shop for serious warranty repairs within 6mo. This vehicle has a flawless service record after 1 year and 20K. I shopped it new against the Tacoma and could not have made a better choice on value for features offered. I chose the 4D-4WD-LB w/LE pkg & premium sound w/ sun roof. -29K out the door. I could not be happier."

Nissan Fan for Life!!!!

By on Friday, October 19, 2007

"I have a 2006 SE 4X4 AT King Cab. Best truck ever! I would like to have the manual trans. because i know i could get better gas mileage if i'm the one shifting gears. I had a 2005 colorado, what a junker! Nissan will be getting my business for years to come!"

Nice Truck

By on Friday, September 21, 2007

"Very comfortable, even for a 6'1" guy, my knees dont hit anywhere and there's plenty of room in the back for my picky adult friends. Truck also rides smooth and solid, and is very capable when off road to find those difficult river acces points, or climbing the mountain backroads for a good view. If you're considering this truck I can only suggest you try a test drive to make up you're mind. This is my second Frontier, and I'd be hard to convince to try a different truck."