• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab

Based on 512 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Excellent mid sized truck

By on Saturday, December 20, 2014

Pros: "Very good on gas, excellent V-6, powderful"

"One of the finest trucks I have ever owned for performance, reliability and general over all use."

great vehicle

By on Friday, December 19, 2014

Pros: "steady and dependable"

Cons: "turning radius"

"nice strong truck, very dependable decent gas milage, 19.2 in town with 4 wheel drive."

For a few $$ more get a Toyota

By on Monday, December 08, 2014

Cons: "NO heat in park!"

"I've had this truck for 6 months and 10,000 miles. I do not love it. It is pretty zippy on dry pavement, but pretty gutless if there is even a suggestion of snow/ice, unless it is in 4x4. I recently had to retire my Toyota Tacoma, and I have regretted not getting another Toyota for the last 6 months. I live in Alaska, it gets cold here. This truck has ZERO heat in park! I can't tell you how aggravating it is to put my children in a truck that is 30 below even after running for 15 minutes! I took the truck to the dealer and they said the antifreeze has to be mixed to exactly 42-48 below. Well, guess what? It didn't fix the problem! And now I am wondering how my truck will fare when it gets to 55 below this winter. Once you get on the road it is OK, but you still have to get in the freezing truck and drive for about 3-5 minutes before it starts to warm up. The windshield defrost is less than 1/3 of the width of the windshield and takes a while to completely defrost. I plan on getting rid of my Nissan as soon as I possibly can."

Very Good Quality Work Truck

By on Thursday, December 04, 2014

Pros: "Good work truck"

Cons: "Poor mpg and comfort"

"Over the vehicle is good no real complaints that I did not already know about. However, for a midsize truck I would expect the fuel mileage to much better, only averaging 19 mpg. Abit uncomfortable for passengers - front and rear."

First Mid-size and Happy

By on Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Pros: "Powerful V-6, Towing, smooth 4wd"

Cons: "Tranny shift points. Low sitting back seat"

"I’ve always owned full size Chevy or Dodge p/ups. Now that kids are moved on it was time to downsize. I needed to still have the pulling power to haul a trailer and car, as well as 4wd (not AWD) capabilities. Looked at the Honda (no 4wd) and Toyota (less towing, HP and MPG) and settled for the Nissan. I'm very happy with my choice. Recently towed a Boxter hour and half and couldn't have been happier. The truck towed without hesitation. The power was more than adequate and the ride was great. I hear complaints of fuel mileage but coming from a full size I'm used to it. Currently averaging 17 around town but reached 24 on my last highway trip to Charlotte. My biggest complaint is the transmission is tuned (for mpg) to shift too quickly at around 40 mph. The tranny in that speed and rpm range shifts up and down constantly. I’ve kind of learned how to control throttle and RPM's to limit this but can be annoying when driving over hills in that speed range. This was not a problem while towing as I locked out the overdrive. If my wife drove manual I would have opted for the 6 speed. Ride is stiff but yet compliant. 4wd works great. Very smooth in its engagement and driving feel. Overall I'm really happy with my 2014 Frontier."

great truck to own for mid/LG truck group

By on Sunday, September 28, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "N/A"

"I love the way this truck handles ! With new tires it drive so good and responsive ! One of the best trucks I have ever owned !!!"

Great truck till it gets some miles on it.

By on Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Pros: "Started off as nice truck"

Cons: "Went downhill fast"

"After 80k the transmission went, coolant leaks into tran fluid and kills tran on spot. Gas gauge sensor in tank went bad needs to be replaced, heaer/AC control went bad need to replace. All three of these issues Nissan is aware of and would do nothing for me. After many complaints from others they decided to extend covarage to 80k miles on issues they know happen on '"high mileage trucks" typically over 80k. So no help. This truck has been nothing but a money pit since it hit 80k miles. Google search frontier transmission problems, gas gauge and heat control. It's all there to read. I have owned other Nissan with no issues, not again. Last thing now two of the cat converters are shot and it won't pass NYState inspection so I can't register it. GOOD LUCK IF YOU BUY THIS TRUCK"

Overall decent truck, but brakes are a concern.

By on Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Pros: "Nice looking truck."

Cons: "Gas mileage, brakes and turning radius are awful."

"My 2013 Nissan Frontier 4x4 was making a loud noise in the blower motor so I took it in to be checked. Apparently leaves and debris collected in the intake and was lodged in the fan motor. Was told Nissan does NOT put a cabin filter in the Frontier during build. It is a 4x4 that is meant to be taken off road, why wouldn't you build it with a cabin filter. For the price these trucks command, not good Nissan. Please fix the spongy brake problem, it is going to get someone hurt trying to stop with a load. Finally, the cubby hole in the dash under the radio is partially blocked by the shifter. Difficult to access at times."

Full Size Capability & 100% Problem Free

By on Thursday, September 04, 2014

Pros: "Solid, Roomy, 3/4 ton payload, Big Boat Hauler"

Cons: "No Refrigerator"

"This has got to be the perfect truck, and although all us truck owners can gripe about fuel economy, it comes with the territory and you do not buy a truck for fuel efficiency, so that subject is irrelevant to truck buyers, yeah, really. My Frontier Crew Cab SV is mostly driven by my wife, and this is her dream car! We pull a 4,500lb boat like nothing (and could tow 2,000lbs more), and the rear seats keep the kid from complaining on many of our 1/2 day rides to camping and fishing spots. It hauls almost TON of payload in the bed, and is a very sure footed traveller on our very snowy roads. Only complaint is Nissan does not include a 3.5mm jack in this specific model, but we forgive them, because this truck is so well made. We know plenty of Frontier owners, and nobody has ever had a problem. With regular oil changes at 4,000 miles and tire rotations, we plan on owning this truck another 25 years. Our truck is Black, and looks great when it's dirty or clean. We feel very confidant driving it. Even of we found a better deal on a 1/2 ton regular pickup, we'd pass because this is the perfect sized truck, and a Nissan, built to last a lifetime."

Solid value for the price

By on Thursday, September 04, 2014

Pros: "Strong torque, hauls weight easily, smooth riding"

Cons: "A bit dated, no backup camera or sensors"

"Bought my Frontier SL crew cab 4WD long bed in May 2011 (model year closeout). I paid 80% of factory window sticker. Truck has never needed a warranty repair or visit back to the dealer. Gas mileage is 16/20, pretty close to estimate. I have a few gripes about truck but absolutely no problems. I previously owned Chevy S-10s and a Toyota Tacoma. This truck is superior in power, ride and handling, and reliability."