• 2014 Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide

2004 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab

Based on 140 Ratings for the 1998 - 2004 models.

Gotta Love The 2000 Body Style

By on Friday, August 24, 2012

Pros: "Long Life, Good Looker, Crew/Shrt.Bed"

Cons: "Wind sound, CD player stopped"

This pic was taken spring 2011!

"Went to look for a car and drove off the lot with this Pick-Up. Loved it and still do. It has over 125,000 miles on it and has had the usual maintenance issues. Back seat isn't recommended for passengers on long trips due to lack of leg space. But is great if just around the city. Funny that it has the 'pass through window' in the back and it's a crew cab!?!! Interior is still like it was when we got it other than a tiny wear on carpet by drivers door. Our Truck has had much interest from people that are amazed it is a 2000. Love the body style of it and they changed it the next year. It is the only one with those particular fender styles. We have the roof rack and sun roof with the step up rail. Also purchased the bed extender, because it is a Crew Cab, Short Bed. We use the extender about 40% of time to do any hauling in there and always when driving with gate down. Keeps people from running up on you!! lol Love the way it folds over into the bed to close the gate or visa versa. Easy and handy. We did put a lock w/chain to prevent anyone from taking it though. With age comes issues I guess... The CD player has stopped working. Auto lock works, but no longer honks (that may be a positive!), wind sound is pretty annoying on the highway on a windy day. But all and all we love our Frontier! Got a lot of 'giddy up and go' and it has carried some loads in its day. If you can get your hands on one that isn't trashed or abused, grab it! BTW, I never recommend 100% for anything!"

This pic was taken spring 2011!

We love this little truck!

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Pros: "sturdy, clean, well maintained, + miles to go!"

Cons: "needs a few minor repairs"

"We have had very few problems over the years and love the styling and ease it offers. I find the cab as comfortable as a car. The back seat could use an inch or two foot room to make adult passengers more comfortable. All in all it has been as reliable as the other Nissan vehicles we have owned. We had a Nissan B-210, a Sentra hatch back, a Crew Cab 4-C pickup and found each one to be as advertised and 100,000 plus reliability!!!"

most reliable truck i ever owned

By on Sunday, July 29, 2012

Pros: "reliable ,good on gas"

Cons: "can heat up when air is on,"

"I have owned many trucks,go trough 2 every year because of driving so many miles. this truck had 28,000 on it when bought and i never did anything but put brakes ,tires, and oil changes....it was and is still running like new. I pull my boat and cargo trailer with it...now pushing 240,000 miles."

Tough working everyday truck

By on Monday, July 02, 2012

Pros: "Tough but efficient 4cyl truck and VERY WELL built"

Cons: "Not very comfortable on inside and bad sound"

"i bought my 1998 frontier regualar extended bed for 2200 and it was a steal. the paint was worn out from the sun and the inside was scratched up a bit but it is a working truck not a lexus. My friend got into a big accident and he helped me repair the truck and i got a paintjob too! shes a beauty and i even carried blocks of cement with me to the dump and it was KISSING the ground. But the 4cyl. truck still took the 1 ton load!!!!! I love it!!! And i keep it clean with brake and oil and tires and i even replaced the radiator hoses but you gotta expect that from a '98. :-)"

122,000 Miles and counting!

By on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, takes my torture."

Cons: "Cramped for leg room in the back"

"I have had this truck for 5 years now. No major problems. I keep it serviced, and it still purrs like a kitten. I am going to drive this truck til the wheels fall off. It is durable as I haul wood, and my four wheeler. I have hauled a bass boat, and even a camper. It has been through whatever I have thrown at it and its just a 2WD. I love this truck. My dog even loves this truck. Great investment for all I do. : )"

I have trusted Nissan since my Datsun 240Z.

By on Friday, May 18, 2012

Pros: "Price, durability"

"My 2002 Frontier(Crew Cab)is powerful, looks good, head turner, solid, lasting style."

I love this truck!

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Pros: "best beach truck, room for my dogs"

Cons: "small tank, poor gas milage"

"I have the 4D Supercharge crew cab extended bed version and have had it since I was eighteen (now I'm 27). While it gets awful gas milage with a small tank and turns like a boat, I still can't imagine having a different truck. When this one kicks the bucket (had it ten years next year!), which hopefully it won't for many more years to come, I'm definitly going to get another Frontier. I haven't had the same kind of luck with any other carbrand I've driven. I just wish there was a Nissan dealer near me but unfortunately, the closest one is over fifty miles away :("

One of the best trucks I have ever owned!

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Reason: Getting a family car

"I bought this truck brand new and it was amazing! I have owned all types of trucks (I tend to go through them rather quickly). This truck lasted the longest by far and I had almost no problems with it! I would have kept this truck until it stopped working but I had to get an SUV for my family. I highly recommend this truck to anyone looking for something that is reliable and great in the snow/off road."

Reliable, rugged and winterworthy.

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "Awesome power for its size, good handling in show."

Cons: "Seats uncomfortable in the XE class, go SE"

"I have owned Nissan's for over 25 years now and this is a good truck. I have generally kept vehicles until deer, black ice or snow have taken them out of commission, but this is the exception. Of all the Nissan's I have owned this one clearly is the LEAST comfortable. I bought it used so I am not sure if a very heavy person killed the seat before me, but the seat is bad. I owned a 1987 SEV6 until last year and that seat was just a shade less comfortable than this one! On the good side, it is a POWERFUL truck! Anyone that overlooks this pickup and does not haul extremely heavy loads regularly is wasting their money buying a larger truck. It has pulled through mud and snow in my woods, tows well and with the manual transmission, low gear is awesome pulling stumps!!!! A true eye opener. Gas mileage? Nissan has work to do. I would never buy this 4X4 truck and drive in a city, unless I won the Lottery."

Small enough for town, big enough to haul a load.

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "Great value, confortable, easy to drive in town."

Cons: "Needs one more power point in front seat area"

"Love this truck! Bought it new and haven't had any problems with it. It has been extremely dependable and durable. Short rides in town to long trips across country, it has never failed to perform to any level needed. I have used to to pull my trailer on the interstate as well as in the mountains. For a small truck, it easily handled over a ton of payload with only a minimal drop in fuel mileage. I average between 21 and 22 MPG with the truck empty and 19 MPG with the truck and trailer both fully loaded. I love the space in the back seat and have comfortably had 5 people in it numerous times. I am very glad I bought it when Nissan was producing the Frontier Crew Cab with a 6' bed."

VERY DEPENDABLE!

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "FUN TO DRIVE, LOW COST MAINTENANCE"

Cons: "ABSOLUTELY NO CONS"

"213,000 MILES AND ONLY GENERAL MAINTENANCE REQUIRED WITH THE EXCEPTION OF A WATER PUMP AND TIMING BELT AFTER 175,000 MILES!"

Datsun/Nissan owner for over 20 yrs.

By on Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pros: "Sporty, drive ability, On road handling."

Cons: "Fuel economy, Interier space, suspension design."

Some off roading left overs. It was fun..

"Over all this truck is what you would expect for its size and power. The frontier really just has enough power and adgility to do most basic meneuvors in traffic. This truck drives fairly smooth for its weight. Weighs in about 4800 lbs with me in it. So you might consider the horsepower to weight ratio and its roughly 22lbs per 1hp.This supercharged version is not really anything spectacular 210 hp. It does help a little. I have averaged about 250 miles to the 19 gallon tank with mid grade fuel about 15mpg. So this might be why this model was only arround for about 4 yrs, when gas prices were much lower. You might be inclined to finding the stock version VG33 with 170 hp. Not a whole lot of power but it will still get the job done. There is a reason that Nissan moved to the more powerful and efficient VQ40 series. This motor is more refined and it provides enough power for this segment of trucks. I have desided that my truck was ok for its time and still performs well. But it is no match to the newer style and the technology of today's vehicles. If your looking to buy a small truck to do some light duty sporting, off roading this might work for you. If you don't mind paying for more fuel. If I had to choose between this truck and a 2005 or newer, I would selected the newer version . All said and done I am still glad I have this truck, and will continue to use it till the wheels fall off just like the others I have owned. 1969 datsun 2wd,1973 datsun 2wd,1984 nissan/datsun exc 4wd, 1987 nissan 2wd, 2002 nissan cc s/c 4wd."

Some off roading left overs. It was fun..

Great Truck!!

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "Great value and function!"

Cons: "tire size"

"I used this truck as a work truck and a commuter and it performed well at both. The six foot bed is a great feature to have in a small sized truck. I had to change the timing belt twice and other than that the truck was never in the shop for mechanical reasons. I would strongly suggest this truck for someone who puts a lot of miles on there vehicle and needs to have a large function truck bed. Great Truck!"

BOSS

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

"this truck is great own it for a little over a year now and i have yet to experience any problems, and i have put a kicker sub and pioner front door speakers in and it sounds GREAT. The truck is very reliable"

2004 Frontier Crew Cab 4x4

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

"I have had this truck for 8 years now and I have never had it in the shop for a problem. Great truck for someone wanting a smaller pickup and bed space is not a huge factor."

Great Vehicle

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "comfortable, fun to drive,"

Cons: "not feul economic"

"This is a good vehicle it drives great, is very comfortable, and is very reliable. The only problem is that it is not good on gas if you travel. I get on average about 16 mpg. I travel to and from school about 35 mile one way and gas is killing me. But if you want comfort and reliability, this could be the vehicle for you."

Extremely tough, reliable truck

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

"Very little maintenance. Have done all the major services. Brakes wear out at about 44000. Extremely reliable. Wet weather handling is subpar. I'm very happy with this truck."

Loved this car and did its purpose

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Reason: car was starting to require engine repairs

Pros: "Good value, fun to drive, reliable"

Cons: "Not very comfortable for adults in rear seats"

"I loved this car. The supercharge made it a fun, faster ride. I used this car well for porting all of my gardening tools, supplies, and plants, as well as all of my children's equipment and bicycles. Wish it would have lasted forever."

Nice small truck value

By on Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pros: "Reliable. Performs well in snow/ice"

Cons: "Very average MPG, yet under powered"

"Purchase vehicle used almost ten years ago. Mechanically very reliable."

Great Truck

By on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pros: "Ride/Driving/handling is very good for a truck."

Cons: "Fuel Mileage is not that great for a 3.3L V6"

"Have owned for 8 years. Best Truck I have ever had. No repairs whatsover other than regular maintenance. Not great fuel mileage for the engine/power but otherwise, incredible truck. Mine has the Rockford Fosgate factory stereo option (9 speaker system) which is incredible as well."

awsome bumper

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Cons: "air conditioning"

"i love my truck"

Great Truck! Goes anywhere, reliably everytime!

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "Comfort, off road capability, towing 5000 lbs."

Cons: "Back seat,"

Clean machine

"I have owned my Frontier for over 9 years and with regular maintenance and care it still runs as good as the day I purchased it. Current mileage is 217,000 without any engine or transmission work. Fuel economy still sits at new vehicle rating of EPA 14 Mpg city and 17 highway and it doesnt burn or leak a drop of oil. The only complaint would be the back seat isn't built for full size adults for long trips but my 3 small kids fit comfortably. It could use a shoulder belt for the middle rear seat. Fantastic ride. Far more comfortable than any Toyota I have owned or ridden in and just as capable off road or on."

Clean machine

SUPER RELIABLE

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

"VERY ROUGH RIDE AND POOR GAS MILEAGE, BUT VIRTUALLY NO REPAIRS WITH REGULAR MAINT."

Economical and reliable

By on Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Pros: "reliable, cost efficient"

Cons: "not comfortable for long drives"

"I have a 1998 XE sigle cab, 5 speed manual. I am the original owner and I still have it. I have been very satisfied; it is fuel efficient and the engine and transmission have never faltered. It's not the most comfortable ride ever, but that's a bench seat for you. The only problem I have had is that the battery goes out WAY too often. I have investigated other causes, but to no avail. I just have to buy a new battery every year. There are worse problems."

this is my 3rd Nissan truck and I loved all of the

By on Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pros: "reliability, hardly anything outside regular maint"

Cons: "no real cons"

"this is my 3rd Nissan truck and I loved all of them; just cnsidering #4"