2015 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,555 - $22,041.

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

Info valid for your area through 09/01/2016

10/8.3

7.9

Based on 270 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

EARLY PROBLEMS WITH NO EXPLANATION

By on Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Pros: "Styling"

Cons: "Reliability, comfort"

"This car hesitates, chugs, gets stuck at a high rpm with no explanation. There are no check engine lights, or trouble codes. It is now at the dealer for the 2nd time with this problem and no one can find it. Waiting for the third time to file my claim..."

Excellent Auto

By on Tuesday, July 2, 2013

"We have owned this 2013 altima since last oct. It has been a real joy to drive in every way. We just returned form a road trip to ft. worth, drove a total of 1600 miles. Our avg. mpg for the entire trip 41 when we pulled into our driveway. When we left texas for home our avg. was 40.3 so it took about 700 miles of driving to achieve an increase to 41 Drove on cruise most of the time, in the past I have gotten in the 39 mpg range The ride is very comfortable."

Dramatic upgrade of a solid vehicle

By on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pros: "Looks, comfort, heated steering wheel, key start"

Cons: "None found yet"

"Have admired the styling upgrade for the past year and after much consideration of alternatives, I am very happy with the Altima ! Wow factor in full force with SL model, in all categories, value, tech, economy, connivence, performance , and safety. Most of all I love how it looks and drives. Based on past reviews I'm looking forward to many satisfying years of service."

How do I love my new Altima? Let Me Count the Ways

By on Saturday, January 5, 2013

Pros: "Athletic, highly fuel-efficient, technology-rich"

"1. I love the 36-38 mpg I get on the highway, depending on load. 2. I love the handling and ride--responsive but smooth. 3. I love the technology package (I have the SL model), that allows me to talk on the phone hands free, play Pandora through my phone, navigate with ease, even connect a portable hard drive and listen to thousands of books and songs. 4. I love the rear camera and the moving object warning and lane departure warning it provides. 5. I love the NASA-inspired front bucket seats--most comfortable ride possible. 6. Despite complaints by others about the CVT, and even after acknowledging the "rubber-band" effect when accelerating at low speeds, I love its responsiveness, and of course the way it keeps gas consumption low. 7. I love the "athletic" feel of this car on the road, around corners, up and down mountain passes. Two recent long "break-in" trips--one from Atlanta to Detroit and back, one from Atlanta to Tampa and back--made driving feel like a joy again. And did I mention the 38 mpg on the highway?"

Great retool on the 13

By on Friday, July 27, 2012

Pros: "Very nice job on the 2013"

Cons: "None yet"

"Nissan did a very nice job on the new car. We have a 09 and a 10 nite and day difference between them. Very nice int, package. Better seats than our cts. Love the wireless, going to trade the 10 in on another 13. Drive one you will buy one. We have had this car for 3 weeks it was 1 of 2 in the greater Milwaukee area. We were fortunate enough to buy it, still have not seen another on the road. Most Altima drivers have a surprised look when they see the car."

Vehicle shutter/ transmission issue

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

Pros: "Wife loves the vehicle style, interior, etc."

Cons: "Transmission issues are a significant downside"

"2013/ 3.5---Severe vehicle shutter at slow speed acceleration from dead stop. Transmission replaced at about 2900 miles and with 6700 miles the new replacement is now exhibiting he same problem. So, after two months, we still have no answers from Nissan as to cause or how they might correct the issue. Dealership and Nissan were prompt in replacing the transmission when the initial problem was communicated but with the same problem being present in the new transmission I am in a holding pattern on what the next steps might be. I understand these transmission issues are specific to the 3.5 engine/transmission and are not unique to my vehicle. The dealership has had two staff driven 3.5 demos that have exhibited the same problem. Nissan Manufacturing has been given this information. This defect might be present in all or a substantial number of 2013 3.5 Altimas. I cannot recommend this vehicle until such time a resolution to the problem is identified and implemented."

Good highway cruiser with flaws

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pros: "See below"

Cons: "See below"

"After doing a lot of research and driving all of the mid-size sedans, I purchased my 2013 Nissan Altima SV loaded with all options in December 2013. I now have 17,000 miles on the vehicle. Listed below are what I consider the pros and cons: Pros: 1) Quiet ride on highway 2) Responsive handling and steering 3) Good brakes 4) Comfortable interior 5) Excellent highway cruiser 6) Fuel efficient (I average 30 mpg) 7) Nice sounding stereo (Bose speakers) 8) Remote car starter 9) Good looking vehicle 10) Comfortable back seat. Can seat 3 adults if they are average size. Cons: 1) Engine/transmission is noisy when starting from a stop. From 0 to 40 mph, the car is not very enjoyable to drive. I did not notice this during my test drive. At lower speeds, the car is noisy with a fair amount of vibration. If you have driven a car with manual transmission, it feels and sounds like you are starting from a stop in 2nd gear (when you should have started in first gear). Because of this, I am thinking of selling the car and purchasing something that is more enjoyable to drive around town. 2)Trunk lid has large u-shaped brackets that eat up a lot of room when trying to close the trunk with a full load of cargo. Seem like an outdated design to me. 3) Computer screen cuts in an out repeatedly. 4) Sun visors are way too small. 5) Back up camera has poor quality picture compared to other manufacturers. If you need a car for mostly highway driving and you want good fuel efficiency, this may be a decent car selection for you. Once the car reaches 45 mph or higher, it is relatively quiet and a pleasant car to drive. However, if a significant proportion of your driving is city driving, I would not recommend this vehicle due to the noise and vibrations of the transmission/engine when starting from a stop and at low speeds."

Great Car EXCEPT...

By on Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pros: "Great styling, engine, interior and electronics"

Cons: "Sadly. the CVT transmission is a major drawback"

"You will find that reviews for this car are at one extreme or the other. The poor marks usually are due to the CVT transmission. My decision to buy 2013 Altima was based in large part on my experience with a 2005 Altima that I drove for the past 7 years. That Altima was a 2.5 liter with a 5 speed manual transmission. It was extremely fun to drive, good on gas and proved to be reliable. Unfortunately, it was totaled in an accident and I quickly needed to replace. It came as a surprise that Altima’s were now only offered with a CVT transmission. Against my better judgment, I went ahead and bought the car with the CVT because I really liked every other aspect of the vehicle. I now have deep regret about the purchase because of the driving characteristics of the CVT. It is a shame because the rest of the car is outstanding. The CVT has two modes, “Drive” and “Drive Sport”. The latter allows you to pretend the car is shifting. It does not improve performance and is bound to put additional wear on a transmission that is already proving to have durability issues. Both modes cause the drivetrain to shudder and vibrate under normal driving conditions. This is due to the load being put on the engine at too low of an RPM. Drivability is severely sacrificed to achieve better gas mileage with this car. Ironically, my 2005 with a 5 speed manual transmission did almost as well on gas. It’s disappointing that Nissan has abandoned their loyal performance oriented customer base as they chase after the typical Camry buyer. The 2013 Altima ends up being a neutered package due to the CVT. This was clearly a conscious and intended choice by Nissan. They could have a made a 6 speed manual available for those that prefer that option. They already had that transmission fully developed and in production. At a minimum, they should reprogram the Drive Sport mode to not lug the engine down at low speeds. For me, the purchase of this car was a costly mistake that I deeply regret and hope others can avoid. I also hope that the decision makers and Directors at Nissan take notice of the sincere customer feedback in these reviews."

I've had a great experience wit this car

By on Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pros: "Great comfort, great mileage"

"I've bought this car more than anything for the MPG it offers. After driving it in a couple of 400 + miles trips I must say I am impressed. Its has a very smooth and quiet ride that is only complemented by the comfort of the new seats on the 2013 model. So far I can only say good things about this car."

i'm in love

By on Monday, October 22, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, Fun drive, Wife approved"

Cons: "CVT make a little noise - i dont care!"

"This is my first Altima. after years of loyalty to my Accord my father in law convinced me to switch, boy i never thought i would say this...i love him but more than anything i love my new drive. thinking back, this all time i was driving reliable car but not fun and not as smooth of a ride. With my new Altima i feel as if i can have my cake and eat it too!!! shocks are amazing (even my wife said so:), the car is fast as a rocket - 4 cil 2.5 SV and i cant say enough about the seats. i want those seats in my house infront of my TV!! i kid you not, this car is the best car i have ever owned, hands down."

LUV OUR ALTIMA

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pros: "GPS, ride, controls, zero gravity seats, value"

Cons: "mpg numbers mixed up"

"We purchased a Nissan Altima 2.5 SL couldn't be anymore happier with our brand new car...Bought vehicle because of insurance cost, low maintenance, incentives and value which everything is worth the price of it. I'm a truck driver my commute is spending an (50 hour drive) in a hard seat but what love about our Nissan is interior front seats built in ''Inspire zero gravity'' they have lots of support includes heated front seats, GPS, Nissan connect system, intelligent key remote starter button, Bluetooth, blind spot/moving object detection, Nissan Drive Advanced Assist Display and much more. Our car has some of the best handling ever the ride gives us is very powerfully smooth on a quiet interior. Gas mileage isn't bad but don't get the right mpg as window sticker said before buying car we're combining (34 mpg on main highways only) and doing interstate driving across the border of our state we're averaging about (23-27 mpg) coasting on interstates not a bad breaker at all for this car. LUV the features includes a sunroof, leather seats, controls, 4'' color display, remote start. It have lots of room from front/rear of vehicle have a smooth highway ride since my wife and I love to drive but this Nissan Altima is making it more convenient for us to be sitting 4 to 8 hours of driving without feeling tired we take trips get kind of sluggish after two hour drives but to our Altima we don't feel not zero percent tired in comfort in ''Zero gravity seating position'' both front and passenger give us that excellent support feeling. I have a 18 wheeler at the company every time wish can take the passenger seat out my car and install it in my ''BIG RIG'' because never drove a vehicle being so comfortable in a great ride have out this car as Altima driving cross country be really uncomfortable on a much longer drive. I highly recommend the car last vehicle owned was a Nissan that went (200,000) without replacing a timing belt and no issues on that car but was a long time ago owning Nissan vehicles we decided to go back with the brand again glad we did loving everything about this car it will last many more years. The best midsize automobile ever built to last on the highways like Nissan Altima best in value, price, comfort, insurance cost and ride gives."

What a Surpise!

By on Monday, September 3, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, Value, Quality, Performance"

Cons: "No personal settings, no MPH readout CruiseControl"

"My 07' Camry LE was starting to show its age and I was looking to trade up to a 12' XLE. My wife suggested test driving a 2013 Altima, which was not actually in my radar screen. After we had test driven several new 2012 Camrys, I was taken back by the comfort and feel of the Altima. I researched both cars for the next couple of weeks, and I kept coming back to the Altima. So after a final test drive of the Camry XLE and the Altima SL, I bought the Altima. I have driven it a little less than 300 miles, so I can not give a long term assessment of my new Altima. But I can say that I am pleased with the car so far. It has the comfort and feel of a car well above its class. I got the V6 because I wanted more power than the i4 provided. The engine performance is superior. The CVT tranny is a little awkward at first, but I'm starting to get use to it. This is a very quit vehicle with very little wind noise at 70 mph. I'm looking forward to many years of driving this vehicle."

Engine failed within a week.

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2012

"After owning a 2013 2.5 SL for less than a week and 160 miles, the service department said that the failure of the catalytic converter destroyed the engine. Nissan has so far refused to replace the car, even though dealer says that is what should be done. Nissan wants only to replace the engine. Confidence in the reliability of the car and the reputation of Nissan customer service is very low. It seems that once the check clears the bank, you are on your on."

Nice Looking, Noisy Car

By on Thursday, December 13, 2012

"Having driven the 2013 Altima SL 4 cyl. for 5,000 miles now I have some things to say. I have taken the car back to the dealer to address some issues. They are as follows: 1) Acceleration through 1,400 rpms is rough, the transmission seems to struggle creating a noticeable rumbling/vibrating sound which you can hear in the car. The dealer says that is normal for the 4 cyl. 2) The power steering assist motor is loud and you can hear a whirring sound inside the car. The dealer says that is normal. 3) Sitting at a stop light the car sometimes vibrates and shakes not violently but enough to notice. I drove a 2009 Altima SL 4 cyl. for 3 years and loved its smooth ride so much I was sold on the new model’s better looks but now I miss the 2009’s smooth ride. The gas milage is better and it does ride smooth under and over the 1,400 rpm range. One mechanic suggested I use premium gas to alleviate the vibration/rumbling around 1,400 rpm but that did not help. The issues above take away from the positive features of the car. For Nissan the issues above should be unacceptable and should be fixed."

A big disappointment

By on Sunday, December 23, 2012

Pros: "Interior is comfortable and attractive."

Cons: "Transmission, mileage"

"If the transmission were only noisy, I could live with it. But the car struggles to get going at low speed and the gas mileage isn't at all what it's reputed to be. When the car was brand new, we drove 150 miles on the highway and got 40 mpg! After that, it was recalled for a computer error that was endangering the drive belt. Since then, the highway mileage is down to 30 and in the city we get 18. We chose this car over the Camry, Accord, and Sonata specifically for the claimed gas mileage. I have taken it to two different Nissan dealers who admit it's noisy but can't or won't do anything about it. A Nissan rep in Tennessee called me; he was sympathetic but couldn't do anything except suggesting that I try yet another dealer. This car was not ready to be put on the market. In addition to the transmission issues, which Nissan knows about, the rear brakes had to be replaced almost immediately because they squeaked so badly. Also, the passenger side airbag doesn't activate every time. When it doesn't activate, we have to turn off the engine and restart. The dealer told me it was perfect."

Very noisy and too many issues for a new car.

By on Saturday, March 2, 2013

Pros: "The bad outweighs the good"

Cons: "Way too many to list here, read review."

"If you are looking to spend $$$ and become a lab dummy for Nissan, this is the car for you. I purchased the 2013 Nissan Altima 2 months ago with a trade in (2009 Nissan Altima). My old Altima was gold compared to the new car. From the second day after taking it out of the dealership, there was loud whining noise, enough to scare you while driving. Took it back to the dealer, who thought it was the steering pump. After replacing the steering pump,the whining sound still was heard. Serv. manager said he tested it thoroughly. Anyways, additional repairs included AC pipe alignment, brake squeaking loudly at 200 miles, and center console sticking, the car is still noisy. I drove rental cars more than my own NEW car. If you purchase this vehicle, be prepared to hear the word, "Unfortunately" a lot from the dealer and service agents . Being a loyal Nissan loyal customer, I expected more from Nissan and will not be patronizing them in the future. My experience was also shared by folks who complained on NHTSA about the 2013 Altima. Do your research before purchasing this vehicle,otherwise you become part of the lab rat team like the current owners who consistently at the service shop for service issues. Needless to say, very dissatisfied."

Great looks, great comfort, great fuel economy

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

"Great looking car and interior, at least for me, is the best of the mid size sedans. Great driving car both local and long distance. Incredible fuel economy for a car this size. A good amount of my diving is open road (80%), and I never get less that 35-36 MPG average on a tank of gas. When traveling long distance on the highway between new england and maryland, I can easily get 40 MPG if I keep my speed down to around 70MPH. At 80 MPH steady state, I average around 38-39 MPG. I noticed a lot of complaints about driveline vibration. This is "normal", the shift program for the transmission is operating the engine at absolute lowest revs to maximize fuel economy according to throttle setting and speed. For me, it's just a reminder that the car is working to make sure I get the best fuel economy possible. I realize that not everyone is going to be able to accept such an arrangement. My hyundai sonata does the same thing at low road speeds once it shifts to top gear and the converter lock-up kicks in, although the period of vibration is shorter than the altima. It's the price for really good fuel economy, at least for now."

Love my new Altima

By on Thursday, August 8, 2013

Pros: "Show to my friends and they want one."

Cons: "At this time no comment"

"I look and drove the Ford Fusion, Chevrolet Malibu, and when I did the same with Look Altima I fell in love with it. The Comfort and handling is great only drove it now 225 miles average mpg 29.3 around town stop and go to store etc. can't wait to drive it home to Florida in October, I am now in Ct. Looking for a long term with this car..."

Problematic from the start

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Reason: Terrible all around

Pros: "comfortable seats, nice design"

Cons: "everything else"

"Saw the new Altima at a parking lot and quickly fell in love with plus the fact that I've been a loyal Nissan customer for 20 years. Not too long after, traded in my 2008 Altima coupe for the 2.5 S Model. Two days later, I noticed a whining noise from the engine compartment. Took it to the dealerhip and was advised noise is from power steering pump and "normal". Not long after, a drumming noise followed, bluetooth dysfunction, fuel slosh/clonk, screen displays go blank and a burning rubber smell. Took the vehicle to 3 different dealerships to to no avail. Opened a case w/ Nissan and filed a complaint with BBB and the MD General Attorney Complaint Division that ultimately led nowhere. Tech that was sent to inspect my car concluded and wrote in his findings that the sounds are normal characteristics of the vehicle. Before purchasing this vehicle, research online and you will find a lot of unhappy consumers. Got fed up and cut my loss. Traded it in for a new Honda Accord Sport and while unhappy with losing money, I certainly made the best decision. Nissan has done an awful job with this vehicle and their consumer affairs hotline is just the same. Be careful when purchasing this vehicle. You'll find yourself back and forth the dealership."

Power Steering pump emits high pitched whine

By on Thursday, February 7, 2013

Cons: "Loud Annoying Whine from power steering pump 2013"

"Power Steering pump emits high pitched whine audible to all in the interior. Very Annoying Factory engineered problem dealers can't fix. Owners must complain in mass to force Nissan to recall and fix. Write a review everywhere, let's muster the troops!"

Terrific value--Nissan has a winner in this one

By on Friday, March 7, 2014

Pros: "Stylish, sleek, affordable, comfortable"

Cons: "Interior colors limited, upgrade for options"

"I purchased my 2014 Altima SV in December of 2013 and absolutely love it. I traded in a 2005 Maxima with 130K. Opted for the convenience package and was well worth the extra cost(moon roof, rear seat vents, fog lights, remote start,etc.) There was quite a difference between the smaller 2.5 engine in my new Altima and the larger engine in my former Maxima. Smaller engine is acceptable but notice the lower HP when passing and accelerating. Nissan Altima comes in many models and was somewhat surprised to find normal standard options (on some cars) only available on the SV or SL models. Average mileage is 33-36 mpg and easily achieves a gas tank range of 550-600 miles. SV comes with 17" tires which handle well in snow and mud, far superior to the 18" tires on my former Maxima. Transmission noise is noticeable upon acceleration but is not annoying. Seats and interior are very comfortable. Instrument panel is set up efficiently and easy to read. Nissan utilizes a highly-visible white color for the gauges but still has a prevalent orange theme for night driving. Speedometer (like most of the new cars) can be hard to view when driving with a right hand on upper part of steering wheel. The SV model is well equipped with high tech options. The SL model has even more as well as leather seats (I prefer the cloth). The audio in the SV is adequate but those requiring superior sound will only find it in the SL model (9 Bose speakers). In comparing various same-size sedans, I found the Altima to have superior room (huge trunk space), excellent gas mileage and priced most competitively. If considering an Altima I would highly recommend upgrading to the SV or SL models. There is substantial difference in the features over the S model. Would also suggest the convenience pkg as well as the navigation pkg--good additions for a little more money."

MPG may be overstated...

By on Monday, March 16, 2015

Pros: "great price, great features"

Cons: "cup holders are a bit small"

"I have to say, I love my Altima! However, it is rated at 38mpg on the highway and I have yet to achieve that. I drive 40 miles one way to work everyday on country roads going about 60-65mph. Even with that and minimal in-town driving, I average about 34mpg. I have tried going 50-55mph on my way to work but that doesn't do really anything but make other drivers irritated. Other than that, it is a great car and very economical for what you get. I plan to put well over 100,000 miles on it unless I get a craving for a newer car (:"

Big improvement after 2 years of my last one

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "safety, performance, better fit and finish quality"

Cons: "USB port issue"

"In January 2014 I purchased my Altima 2.5 s with the SL technology package with bit more options. It has changed so much after 2 years coming out of my 2012 Altima 2.5 SL traded because needed more comfort. This car is a zippy in better performance with a new CVT design gives a greater solid ride in good gas mileage and the interior looks more upgraded in lots of new options. I love the seat designed as Nasa zero gravity heated seats feels so much comfort with plenty of lumbar support and leg support is also excellent without my knees hitting the steering wheel and door going over bumps. Bluetooth and Navigation both are best includes SXM radio with USB ports but a minor thing is sometimes playing the flash drive it skips most songs from my smartphone which don't understand even has Sirius satellite radio its all great too. Love the new body styling and its more roomier while putting lots of items inside my car whenever I am traveling. When driving on a long stretched road its very quiet going 65 mph even acceleration is a blast on giving car engine the throttle response needs as being lead footed. My favorites are remote start, sunroof, heated seats, navigation and lane departure warning. This vehicle looks like its been built by NASA all around from a more upgraded interior and given it more performance in its class. I am very happy with my 2nd model on same package as other one but wasn't available with navigation system but its 100% better in more features and options after 2 months its been fun driving this car."

My 1st nissan

By on Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Pros: "comfort and gas mileage"

Cons: "none so far after 6 months"

"just want to start saying this the first nissan i have ever purchased. i was always a ford customer. i have been driving this car about 6 months have had no issues. my wife has a 2012 ford fusion sel with a v6 i cannot ride in her car for a long period of time as i become very uncomfortable in my altima comfort is not a issue gas mileage fusion averages about 26 in city altima about 34 highway fusion about 32 altima 39 the interior is much quieter in the altima power the altimas 4 has better acceleration than the fusion the altima is a better selling price point than the fusion can go on but so far no complaints about about my altima. there are more good things i could say about this car but i think you understand love my altima ps have to teenage boys and there is plenty of room for them in backseat"

reoccurring airconditioner blower motor problems

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pros: "comfortable to drive"

Cons: "they need to keep trash out of the ac"

"my 2013 Altima has been a let down. this is our 3rd Altima. it has been it the shop five times in ten months with 19000 miles on it. Nissan has replaced the ac blower motor three times and cleaned it out twice. they say leaves are getting in and messing up the ac motor causing it to become loud. the computer had to be reprogramed once when the check engine light came on. the passenger air bag has a weight sensor that tells it when to be on. we had it check twice. it still does not work properly. but we get 31 mpg on average and it handles well during normal driving."