2015 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,090 - $21,981.

"What Others Paid" is based on the last 60 days within 100 miles.

10/8.3

7.9

Based on 243 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

2013 NISSAN ALTIMA SL 126 MILES

By on Saturday, June 08, 2013

Pros: "smooth ride, great MPG, comfort"

Cons: "at 126 miles non yet"

"This car offers the smoothes ride out of any sedan out rite now. Extremely comfortable leather seats with great adjustments to the drivers side. Bose system sounds great with the integrated XM radio free for 3 months. The SL is a luxury car with great value ($25800 negotiated)"

Love it

By on Sunday, March 17, 2013

"Love the car, and had nothing wrong... everyone wants this car that I have shown it to."

Outstanding

By on Friday, August 24, 2012

"I completed loads of research on this vehicle, including conversation with a Nissan engineer. Tested numerous hybrids, mid size non hybrids, the car was head and shoulders better than anything on the road in the price range. Looks higher end, both inside and out. After 2000 miles love the ride, handling, MPG ave 33, seats ARE all that, most comfortable drivers car seat I've ever had, overall good fit and finish. Heading down hill the CVT 2.5 takes some time to get used to. Strange feeling with increasing RPM. The 4 banger delivers strong passing power on flats and up hill. Enjoy!"

CVT ISSUES otherwise very nice car

By on Saturday, December 22, 2012

Pros: "Exterior and interior design, gas mileage"

Cons: "Noise and vibration extremely high"

"I have owned my 2.5 cv for one month and already it's been back to the dealer 3 times for the same lugging and vibration noise issues which I experiece on light throttle acceleration from a stop at around 1500 rpm. I have lodged a complaint with Nissan Customer Care and have been assigned a Regional Specialist to my case. In my first conversation with the specialist, I was imformed that Nissan is aware of this problem and is working on a more permanent solution. Meanwhile, Nissan is having serpentine belts and belt tensioners replaced in an effort to alleviate noise and vibration. Yesterday my vehicle was oufitted with the new belt and tensioner. I did noticed a fractional noise reduction but the swap did not significantly alleviate the problem. Unfortunately, Nissan is attempting to address the symptom not the root source of the problem... that being the CVT programming. With a simple CVT reprogram offered to those of us who are sensitive to the lugging noise and vibration, Nissan could make this issue disappear practically overnight. Instead Nissan is trying "band aid" fixes like belts and tensioners, presumably, in an effort to keep their EPA estimates intact. At the same time they seem to be abandoning longtime loyal customers. This is an otherwise extremely nice automobile if it were not for the CVT issues and I am hopeful Nissan wakes up and gets serious about resolving this very annoying and frustating issue at once before potential owners start looking elsewhere in this very competive market and before frustrated owners start bailing out."

Nice Looking, Noisy Car

By on Thursday, December 13, 2012

"Having driven the 2013 Altima SL 4 cyl. for 5,000 miles now I have some things to say. I have taken the car back to the dealer to address some issues. They are as follows: 1) Acceleration through 1,400 rpms is rough, the transmission seems to struggle creating a noticeable rumbling/vibrating sound which you can hear in the car. The dealer says that is normal for the 4 cyl. 2) The power steering assist motor is loud and you can hear a whirring sound inside the car. The dealer says that is normal. 3) Sitting at a stop light the car sometimes vibrates and shakes not violently but enough to notice. I drove a 2009 Altima SL 4 cyl. for 3 years and loved its smooth ride so much I was sold on the new model’s better looks but now I miss the 2009’s smooth ride. The gas milage is better and it does ride smooth under and over the 1,400 rpm range. One mechanic suggested I use premium gas to alleviate the vibration/rumbling around 1,400 rpm but that did not help. The issues above take away from the positive features of the car. For Nissan the issues above should be unacceptable and should be fixed."

I've had a great experience wit this car

By on Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pros: "Great comfort, great mileage"

"I've bought this car more than anything for the MPG it offers. After driving it in a couple of 400 + miles trips I must say I am impressed. Its has a very smooth and quiet ride that is only complemented by the comfort of the new seats on the 2013 model. So far I can only say good things about this car."

Excellent car!!!

By on Saturday, August 04, 2012

Pros: "Interior, seats, sound, bluetooth, low noise, mile"

Cons: "None so far."

"I bought 2013 SL 4 cyl model 10 days ago, had long drive for about 700 miles and about 600 local miles. I luv the seats design, even after long drive my back was in good shape. Nice interior, great bose sound and excellent bluetooth quality. Low noise. An avg I get 38 in local and on highways avg was about 42 mpg. And being 2013 owner, I see people have an eye on my car."

Great Car EXCEPT...

By on Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pros: "Great styling, engine, interior and electronics"

Cons: "Sadly. the CVT transmission is a major drawback"

"You will find that reviews for this car are at one extreme or the other. The poor marks usually are due to the CVT transmission. My decision to buy 2013 Altima was based in large part on my experience with a 2005 Altima that I drove for the past 7 years. That Altima was a 2.5 liter with a 5 speed manual transmission. It was extremely fun to drive, good on gas and proved to be reliable. Unfortunately, it was totaled in an accident and I quickly needed to replace. It came as a surprise that Altima’s were now only offered with a CVT transmission. Against my better judgment, I went ahead and bought the car with the CVT because I really liked every other aspect of the vehicle. I now have deep regret about the purchase because of the driving characteristics of the CVT. It is a shame because the rest of the car is outstanding. The CVT has two modes, “Drive” and “Drive Sport”. The latter allows you to pretend the car is shifting. It does not improve performance and is bound to put additional wear on a transmission that is already proving to have durability issues. Both modes cause the drivetrain to shudder and vibrate under normal driving conditions. This is due to the load being put on the engine at too low of an RPM. Drivability is severely sacrificed to achieve better gas mileage with this car. Ironically, my 2005 with a 5 speed manual transmission did almost as well on gas. It’s disappointing that Nissan has abandoned their loyal performance oriented customer base as they chase after the typical Camry buyer. The 2013 Altima ends up being a neutered package due to the CVT. This was clearly a conscious and intended choice by Nissan. They could have a made a 6 speed manual available for those that prefer that option. They already had that transmission fully developed and in production. At a minimum, they should reprogram the Drive Sport mode to not lug the engine down at low speeds. For me, the purchase of this car was a costly mistake that I deeply regret and hope others can avoid. I also hope that the decision makers and Directors at Nissan take notice of the sincere customer feedback in these reviews."

Good highway cruiser with flaws

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pros: "See below"

Cons: "See below"

"After doing a lot of research and driving all of the mid-size sedans, I purchased my 2013 Nissan Altima SV loaded with all options in December 2013. I now have 17,000 miles on the vehicle. Listed below are what I consider the pros and cons: Pros: 1) Quiet ride on highway 2) Responsive handling and steering 3) Good brakes 4) Comfortable interior 5) Excellent highway cruiser 6) Fuel efficient (I average 30 mpg) 7) Nice sounding stereo (Bose speakers) 8) Remote car starter 9) Good looking vehicle 10) Comfortable back seat. Can seat 3 adults if they are average size. Cons: 1) Engine/transmission is noisy when starting from a stop. From 0 to 40 mph, the car is not very enjoyable to drive. I did not notice this during my test drive. At lower speeds, the car is noisy with a fair amount of vibration. If you have driven a car with manual transmission, it feels and sounds like you are starting from a stop in 2nd gear (when you should have started in first gear). Because of this, I am thinking of selling the car and purchasing something that is more enjoyable to drive around town. 2)Trunk lid has large u-shaped brackets that eat up a lot of room when trying to close the trunk with a full load of cargo. Seem like an outdated design to me. 3) Computer screen cuts in an out repeatedly. 4) Sun visors are way too small. 5) Back up camera has poor quality picture compared to other manufacturers. If you need a car for mostly highway driving and you want good fuel efficiency, this may be a decent car selection for you. Once the car reaches 45 mph or higher, it is relatively quiet and a pleasant car to drive. However, if a significant proportion of your driving is city driving, I would not recommend this vehicle due to the noise and vibrations of the transmission/engine when starting from a stop and at low speeds."

A big disappointment

By on Sunday, December 23, 2012

Pros: "Interior is comfortable and attractive."

Cons: "Transmission, mileage"

"If the transmission were only noisy, I could live with it. But the car struggles to get going at low speed and the gas mileage isn't at all what it's reputed to be. When the car was brand new, we drove 150 miles on the highway and got 40 mpg! After that, it was recalled for a computer error that was endangering the drive belt. Since then, the highway mileage is down to 30 and in the city we get 18. We chose this car over the Camry, Accord, and Sonata specifically for the claimed gas mileage. I have taken it to two different Nissan dealers who admit it's noisy but can't or won't do anything about it. A Nissan rep in Tennessee called me; he was sympathetic but couldn't do anything except suggesting that I try yet another dealer. This car was not ready to be put on the market. In addition to the transmission issues, which Nissan knows about, the rear brakes had to be replaced almost immediately because they squeaked so badly. Also, the passenger side airbag doesn't activate every time. When it doesn't activate, we have to turn off the engine and restart. The dealer told me it was perfect."

Great retool on the 13

By on Friday, July 27, 2012

Pros: "Very nice job on the 2013"

Cons: "None yet"

"Nissan did a very nice job on the new car. We have a 09 and a 10 nite and day difference between them. Very nice int, package. Better seats than our cts. Love the wireless, going to trade the 10 in on another 13. Drive one you will buy one. We have had this car for 3 weeks it was 1 of 2 in the greater Milwaukee area. We were fortunate enough to buy it, still have not seen another on the road. Most Altima drivers have a surprised look when they see the car."

Vibration and noisy drive train

By on Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Pros: "Lots of features for the money"

Cons: "Noisy engine and vibration from CVT"

"At about 5000 miles I started noticing the engine making a noise that sounded like the engine was "lugging". The noise progressively got worse and I could make it happen all the time by feathering the throttle and keeping the RPMs at 1500. At about 7500 miles I started noticing the vibration from the CVT. Under light acceleration at city or highway speeds I can feel and hear a vibration in the drive train. Now my fuel mileage has started to decrease. When the car was new I could consistently get over 40 mpg on the highway. Now I'm only getting 33 mpg. I took the car to the dealer and was told the noise and vibration are normal. Seems to me that I would of noticed the problem when I first got the car if it were normal. Needless to say I am very disappointed with Nissan. It's really a shame that Nissan would produce a car with such obvious problems because otherwise it would be the best car out there in its class. It has a lot of good things going for it but in my opinion the cons out weigh the pros. If I had to do it over again I would not buy this car."

Vehicle shutter/ transmission issue

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

Pros: "Wife loves the vehicle style, interior, etc."

Cons: "Transmission issues are a significant downside"

"2013/ 3.5---Severe vehicle shutter at slow speed acceleration from dead stop. Transmission replaced at about 2900 miles and with 6700 miles the new replacement is now exhibiting he same problem. So, after two months, we still have no answers from Nissan as to cause or how they might correct the issue. Dealership and Nissan were prompt in replacing the transmission when the initial problem was communicated but with the same problem being present in the new transmission I am in a holding pattern on what the next steps might be. I understand these transmission issues are specific to the 3.5 engine/transmission and are not unique to my vehicle. The dealership has had two staff driven 3.5 demos that have exhibited the same problem. Nissan Manufacturing has been given this information. This defect might be present in all or a substantial number of 2013 3.5 Altimas. I cannot recommend this vehicle until such time a resolution to the problem is identified and implemented."

How do I love my new Altima? Let Me Count the Ways

By on Saturday, January 05, 2013

Pros: "Athletic, highly fuel-efficient, technology-rich"

"1. I love the 36-38 mpg I get on the highway, depending on load. 2. I love the handling and ride--responsive but smooth. 3. I love the technology package (I have the SL model), that allows me to talk on the phone hands free, play Pandora through my phone, navigate with ease, even connect a portable hard drive and listen to thousands of books and songs. 4. I love the rear camera and the moving object warning and lane departure warning it provides. 5. I love the NASA-inspired front bucket seats--most comfortable ride possible. 6. Despite complaints by others about the CVT, and even after acknowledging the "rubber-band" effect when accelerating at low speeds, I love its responsiveness, and of course the way it keeps gas consumption low. 7. I love the "athletic" feel of this car on the road, around corners, up and down mountain passes. Two recent long "break-in" trips--one from Atlanta to Detroit and back, one from Atlanta to Tampa and back--made driving feel like a joy again. And did I mention the 38 mpg on the highway?"

What a Surpise!

By on Monday, September 03, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, Value, Quality, Performance"

Cons: "No personal settings, no MPH readout CruiseControl"

"My 07' Camry LE was starting to show its age and I was looking to trade up to a 12' XLE. My wife suggested test driving a 2013 Altima, which was not actually in my radar screen. After we had test driven several new 2012 Camrys, I was taken back by the comfort and feel of the Altima. I researched both cars for the next couple of weeks, and I kept coming back to the Altima. So after a final test drive of the Camry XLE and the Altima SL, I bought the Altima. I have driven it a little less than 300 miles, so I can not give a long term assessment of my new Altima. But I can say that I am pleased with the car so far. It has the comfort and feel of a car well above its class. I got the V6 because I wanted more power than the i4 provided. The engine performance is superior. The CVT tranny is a little awkward at first, but I'm starting to get use to it. This is a very quit vehicle with very little wind noise at 70 mph. I'm looking forward to many years of driving this vehicle."

Great car but a couple of minor annoyances

By on Sunday, February 10, 2013

Pros: "Nissan name, technology on board, quickness"

Cons: "CVT is loud, more control over stereo,"

"I purchased this car in February after having researched cars to the nth degree. Test drove a Fusion and was almost sold on it with the exception that the center stack hit my leg in exactly the wrong place no matter what the seat adjustment (I'm 6'5"). Have owned two Maxima's so am quite enamored with the Nissan brand. Test drove a 3.5SL and fell in love with it. Everything is fairly intuitive and car is technologically advanced. Got 33mpg on the first road trip. Two minor issues that hopefully can be taken care of on the first dealer visit. First is a wind noise at the driver door that is actually fairly loud and the second is the tendency for the CVT to jerk periodically when starting from a dead stop. Aside from that, there are no complaints. I did manage to install body side moldings and the rear clear bumper protector myself (original Nissan parts btw) obtained from Nissan dealers doing business on Ebay. The car has a very firm ride that sometimes is a bit too harsh but overall is acceptable. A few design issues that would be helpful would be to increase the size of the temperature readout and put that along with the compass display either on the rear view mirror as in some cars or incorporate it into the head unit. Not all information is just for the driver. The rear backup camera could be brighter especially at night in dark areas as the image is very dim. The only other improvement would be a greater control over the sound system itself with some mid range controls needed over just treble and bass. Would the design issues have been a deal breaker, not hardly but the transmission and wind noise are not acceptable in a vehicle with a price tag of over $31,000."

Very Enjoyable Car

By on Sunday, May 04, 2014

Pros: "quiet ride, comfortable seats,"

Cons: "none so far"

"I purchased this car a couple months ago, and after driving it 2000 miles or so, I actually like it more than I thought I would. I decided on the 2.5 S with Display Audio. I love the interior, all the audio options, the way it handles, the 4 cyl engine has lots of pick-up, and I'm averaging around 28 mph. Haven't had it on a trip yet. I was a little concerned after reading some of the earlier consumer reviews. but after a couple months, I've had no problems or complaints."

Looks good but noisy

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "Looks good, many perks for $$$"

Cons: "new transmission and bracket replaced under 16000m"

"Car looks good and has nice perks like remote start, push start, seat and steering wheel heater. At 15000 miles there is a high pitch noise on the passenger side, nissan said a steering bracket would need to be replaced. Also alot of noise from under the car, nissan said the transmission needed to be replaced. So far I like the look, feel and perks but not sure if this is going to be a lemon in the long run."

Luxurious but noises and vibrations

By on Friday, December 27, 2013

"I have owned this car since June 2013. It has been very reliable. The seats are comfortable, the Bose system and the navigation is great, it looks beautiful inside and out. Good gas mileage. However, the noise and vibrations from the engine is unacceptable! Noisy upon slow acceleration and a vibration is felt in the steering column and the seat cushion. Too bad, this would have been the perfect car! Had 2 other Nissans and I loved them. Can't wait till this lease is over!"

Best vehicle ever drove

By on Friday, August 17, 2012

Pros: "MPG. Comfort. Good looking. Quiet engine."

Cons: "Noise from front axle"

"I have bought the first Altima 2013 in Washington state. Actually, I almost bought it immediately after I tried driving it. Before, I have driven 10+ different models of mid-sized and compact cars including Altima 2012, Mazda 6, Regal, Avenger, etc. Altima 2013 is outstanding among all of them. I am so surprised at the mpg for commuting to reach 33 while my Avenger only reached about 18. Also, Altima 2013 has an aggressive looking outside and modern feeling inside. It is a spacious car but handling it is easy and comfortable."

Can't beat the milage & comfort for the price

By on Saturday, November 02, 2013

Pros: "milage, comfort, safety, price"

Cons: "durable?,noise?,options raise price,limited colors"

"I've seen near 50MPG, but expect around 40 freeway. Center console is peeling/bubbling slightly. I've had some fan and cabin noise, and I've not figured that out yet as it comes and goes. At times the car seems to get blown from left to right on the freeway. Nissan will try to sell you extra stuff (warranties, coatings, etc.). I'd avoid them. There are too many thing too list in 50 characters that I like about this car."

Great looks, great comfort, great fuel economy

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

"Great looking car and interior, at least for me, is the best of the mid size sedans. Great driving car both local and long distance. Incredible fuel economy for a car this size. A good amount of my diving is open road (80%), and I never get less that 35-36 MPG average on a tank of gas. When traveling long distance on the highway between new england and maryland, I can easily get 40 MPG if I keep my speed down to around 70MPH. At 80 MPH steady state, I average around 38-39 MPG. I noticed a lot of complaints about driveline vibration. This is "normal", the shift program for the transmission is operating the engine at absolute lowest revs to maximize fuel economy according to throttle setting and speed. For me, it's just a reminder that the car is working to make sure I get the best fuel economy possible. I realize that not everyone is going to be able to accept such an arrangement. My hyundai sonata does the same thing at low road speeds once it shifts to top gear and the converter lock-up kicks in, although the period of vibration is shorter than the altima. It's the price for really good fuel economy, at least for now."

Problematic from the start

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Reason: Terrible all around

Pros: "comfortable seats, nice design"

Cons: "everything else"

"Saw the new Altima at a parking lot and quickly fell in love with plus the fact that I've been a loyal Nissan customer for 20 years. Not too long after, traded in my 2008 Altima coupe for the 2.5 S Model. Two days later, I noticed a whining noise from the engine compartment. Took it to the dealerhip and was advised noise is from power steering pump and "normal". Not long after, a drumming noise followed, bluetooth dysfunction, fuel slosh/clonk, screen displays go blank and a burning rubber smell. Took the vehicle to 3 different dealerships to to no avail. Opened a case w/ Nissan and filed a complaint with BBB and the MD General Attorney Complaint Division that ultimately led nowhere. Tech that was sent to inspect my car concluded and wrote in his findings that the sounds are normal characteristics of the vehicle. Before purchasing this vehicle, research online and you will find a lot of unhappy consumers. Got fed up and cut my loss. Traded it in for a new Honda Accord Sport and while unhappy with losing money, I certainly made the best decision. Nissan has done an awful job with this vehicle and their consumer affairs hotline is just the same. Be careful when purchasing this vehicle. You'll find yourself back and forth the dealership."

Nothing to apologize for; just a good car!

By on Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Pros: "Good value, comfortable, very good MPG"

Cons: "More of a logical purchase than an emotional one."

"I've put over 35,000 miles within a year--the most I've driven ANY car for the same time period. Very good, effortless, highway cruiser...the V-6 is strong and very efficient (averaging about 32 MPG on the highway) haven't had to worry about merging into highway traffic. The exterior styling is nice in the current, flowing Japanese sedan style language, but almost too anonymous. Interior space and design are well thought-out and reasonably roomy (for those under 6' at least); and the leather seats are quite comfortable. Even though it's not a sport sedan, the Altima with the 3.5 does respond well to spirited driving on some of the back roads in South Texas."

My second Altima 3.5 SL

By on Monday, January 14, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, design, gas mileage, fun to drive."

Cons: "I'll let you know at 162,000 miles."

"This is my second Altima and my husband now drives my 2005. The reliability on this car is awesome and that's why I bought another one. We have 162,000 miles on the 2005 and it's been nothing but Wonderful! I thought I'd be bored with a new one but, after test driving the 2013, I could'nt believe the drive and all the new interior features that come standard on the 3.5sl. It's a totally different car but, in a good way. It's a wonderful car for the money."