2014 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,404 - $21,335.

10/8.5

7.9

Based on 248 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

My Favorite car

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

"I've had lots of cars, including BMW 5 series, Audi s4, A6, and this one is the nicest one with the lest trouble to own. Handling is as good as I need, and acceleration is super, there at any speed. The interface in the electronics is very good, except for the voice recognition...a bit slow, and repetitive. BUt it's a beautiful and very comfortable, quiet car, with lots of muscle. Oh, and did I say 29mpg average?"

Tested 2013, bought 2014, but.....

By on Tuesday, July 01, 2014

"My initial impression of the 2013 was not that good....I thought the noise was just too loud. Tested the other mid-size contenders....loved the Mazda6, but thought it was too pricey. After reading that the 2014 Altima had more insulation added I took another test drive and thought that the noise level was much improved...so I bought it. I also thought the Altima was a better value than the Mazda6. This car has some fine qualities such as good gas mileage, nice compromise between ride and handling...and I didn't detect any shuddering problems that the 13 Altima had. But I drive quite frequently on an open four lane highway....and if there was any wind at all, it was really hard to keep the car going straight without constantly having to make small corrections back and forth to keep the car from straying out of my lane. It's really a job driving the car when its windy. Also, three weeks after I bought the car I headed out for a Dr appointment and when I tried to start the car....nothing....but a dead battery. Was lucky to get a quick jump start....so I headed to my apt in a city about 25 miles away. On the way back all of a sudden the radio came on by itself....and I immediately suspected there was some electrical problem with the car. I took the car to the dealer the next day and was taken aback by the poor (absolutely no )service from the dealership. After waiting for two hours the tech came and told me the battery was low, so he advised taking it out on the highway to charge it up ( which I had already done) and the reason the radio came on was I accidentally hit the button on the steering wheel. I am positive I didn't. A couple of days later the car barely started so I went to the Sales Manager and he set the wheels in motion to find out what was wrong. Long story short...computer said battery should be replaced, and it was. Then a few weeks later when I was ready to leave....another dead battery. They tested the car and said nothing was wrong. So after spending that much money for a new car, I now carry a Clore jump starter in my car because I just can't depend on it to start. My 13 year old Chrysler was more dependable than this new Altima. Add in the dealerships terrible service and attitude and I now regret that I didn't spend just a little more and get the Mazda6."

Pour Some Lemon On Me!

By on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pros: "Power, Fuel Economy, Bluetooth"

Cons: "Unreliable, Cheap interior"

"I am expecting a new child so I had to upgrade my vehicle from the 2012 Nissan Juke to a larger car. After much debate I chose the Altima. I liked the styling and the features for the price. I wish I knew that I was going to have problem, after problem, after problem. I started having transmission problems about 500 miles into the vehicle. The car sputter/judder/trembles at random times while shifting at low RPMs. I thought this was odd so I drove it another 100 miles hoping the issue would "work" itself out. No dice. Took it into Nissan and they serviced it no problem. "Reprogrammed" the transmission they told me. Ok. I drove it out of there and thought the issue fixed. Nope. It is still stuttering but different. It is not as pronounced and happens more randomly. Took it to Nissan to have it repaired and they couldn't "recreate" the issue. Now I have to take it back in a 3rd time. I am having a sour taste in my mouth. :("

Stiil great car

By on Saturday, March 21, 2015

Pros: "Great loocking car."

Cons: "I have model S, no fog lights they are very help."

"I left my review a year ago, car had about 1000 miles, now it has 10000 and still great car with a great gas mileage and performance. Just want to tell people who complain about noise, try Ford or Chevy or other vehicles with same tape of engine and you will experience same noise."

Loving my 2013 Altima SV

By on Monday, December 03, 2012

Pros: "Design, Engine, Electronics,handling"

Cons: "Some cabin noise, noisy electronic steering assist"

"For many years the only factor I considered in a new car was reliability, Toyota and Honda delivered for awhile but recently they have dropped the ball. Then I stepped into the Altima and I doubt that I will look back. Who knew that you could have quality in a beautiful package and also that a mid size sedan could deliver a fun ride. Nissan made it happen! The ride is smooth and having the extra muscle makes me feel like I am driving a very expensive car. Sure Infinity has cars that I wish I could own but the price tag is hefty. I love my new Altima and will recommend to friends. I do have a couple items on my list that could be improved. The electronic steering assist is noisier than I expected and the cabin is not the quietest. The CVT transmission takes some getting used to as it seems to rev up a little extra before leveling out and adjusting to the right speed. Other than that everything is perfect. Great electronics, body design is a thing of beauty and everything just works right. Suspension is smooth and the braking is spot on. If you have been driving a Camry or Accord you will be pleasantly surprised when you test the acceleration and turning on this bad boy. Gas mileage is way above average considering that all my driving is in the city. I am averaging about 27 MPG."

Nice entry level IF you keep it forever.

By on Monday, October 06, 2014

Reason: wanted an all wheel drive

Pros: "Cheap fun car which handles great."

Cons: "NO TRADE IN VALUE!!!!!!!"

"This is a good entry level vehicle which has NO TRADE IN VALUE. Purchased it used 15 months ago. At that time, it had 25K on the clock. Traded it in at same dealer (Purchased a new Rogue S All Wheel Drive) for a vehicle which had all wheel drive for my wife. I wouldn't purchase another "S" Altima for it's noisy, extreme wind noise from the windows, exhaust heat shield noise (Had it back for "Adjustments) 8 times to no avail. Good car for a college student, but keep it until the wheels fall off for it has NO TRADE VALUE. We lost 8 THOUSAND DOLLARS in 15 months. WOW is all I have to say. I would purchase another, but it would be a more "Up Scale Model" like the SV or move up to the Maxima (for comfort and nicer interior/ride). I'm not "Bashing" the Altima, but it is what it is.....a throw away car. We have a Rogue "S" which my wife loves, and it's safer for her in the winter. We have really rough winters up here in Oswego, New York. I also own a Nissan Titan 1/2 ton Pick Up with a shorter bed so I could have a full size interior. Love it!!!"

nice vehicle

By on Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Pros: "price, gas mileage, features, looks, roomy"

Cons: "material of the cloth seats"

"I have around 1800 miles on my Altima now. I have read all the good and negative reviews on the vehicle. After reading the negative ones I did pay attention to what everyone was saying about the car. I do find the car to be a litte noisy but not as bad as some people say. The car is very quite inside blocking out a lot of road noise which I feel contributes to being able to hear the engine more. I have driven a Honda Accord and the road/wind noise in that car is very bad. I do hear a tiny noise in the power steering when backing up only. You have to really listen to hear it. I feel if you dwell on the noise is why some people find it bothersome but to me it is not that bad and lasts only a few seconds. I am suprised this car even had power steering you do not find that in many cars. I like all the features in the car. The gas mileage is amazing. I am averaging 38.7 miles per gallon. Overall the car to me is wonderful and I have had many cars. There will be fault in every car. It just depends on what you find more bothersome than others. I have yet to find a 4 cylinder car that is not a little noisy."

A well designed auto.

By on Saturday, May 02, 2015

Pros: "Average price model with options, well appointed."

Cons: "Noisy, choppy ride, CVT performance."

"I have owned Nissan automobiles for many years, primarily Maxima types. This model has been a true gasoline saver with the 2.5L 4 cyl engine, The average fuel use averaged around 33 miles per gallon. The motor was a real eye opener, the pick-speed is on par with previous V8's, passing also tops. However, the ride is choppy with a very bothersome tire/road noise. The CVT transmission is a wonderful addition in the heavier Maxima, in this lighter model it does not perform as smoothly."

RECALL

By on Thursday, April 09, 2015

Pros: "Auto up pasgr window, touch screen, push to start"

Cons: "CVT Transmission Malfunction, small door poquets"

"I love the look of the car inside and out. I love the features and the feel of the car at higher speeds. Unfortunetly, after only 26000 miles and less than 9 months with my Altima SL I had to get a new transmission. You can feel the troubleshooting while parked, first and second gear."

Unreliable, poorly put together

By on Monday, August 18, 2014

Pros: "fast (V6), comfortable seats, handles well"

Cons: "totally unreliable and poorly put together"

"I'm taking my 2013 Altima 3.5 back to the dealership next week for 5 (FIVE!) separate problems. Whistling sound from outside, center console latch doesnt work, hard plastic rattle in the dash, something rattling in the trunk lid, and a droning sound coming from the blower fan. This car has been to the dealership 4 times in the last year for a multitude of problems. A side to side shuddering at high speeds that they kind of fixed when they rotated the tires. It still shudders, just not as much. They replaced the drivers side mirror to stop the whistling noise, but it made it worse. The only thing the dealer actually fixed was a vent rattle, but that made the center console rattle worse. This is the worst car I've ever owned, by a mile. I actually didn't think they produced cars this poorly made anymore. I wanted it to be reliable so bad, because I actually like it. It handles well, accelerates very well, and it's comfortable. But I just have no faith in it. A little over a year old and with less than 9,000 miles, and it's a been a constant problem."

Just bought my first nissan..and I love it

By on Monday, October 27, 2014

Pros: "nearly everything, design, look, way it drives"

Cons: "haven't found any yet"

"Never had a Nissan before, always been a mustang/charger or suv type of guy, however I finally purchased the Altima after listening to people talk about it and I love it. Best car I have ever driven to this point. highly recommend it."

Good overall quality relative to the price

By on Friday, January 09, 2015

Pros: "Good MPG, Good & useful space, Many tech features"

Cons: "Low ground clearance & Light vehicle weight"

"I purchased a '14 2.5 SL in 05/14 for $27,000, and now in 01/15 I have put about 19,500 miles on it and am overall impressed with it. I have not had any mechanical issues with it yet, and I personally like the CVT as it has a smoother ride to it than a traditional transmission. The interior features with the heated steering wheel, heated front seats, Bose audio system, Bluetooth and Navigation are very nice for a mid-size sedan at this price range. I have also been very impressed by how comfortable the seats are as my last car also had very comfortable seats. Prior to purchasing my first Nissan I rode in a KIA Optima and a Hyundai Sonata and was very surprised by how uncomfortable the seats were. During the warm months I averaged anywhere from 32-37 MPG, and during the cold winter I am achieving about 28 MPG, however I have been letting the car idle quite a bit since I work out of it at times. The Altima, along with so many sedans anymore, do ride lower to the ground and are much lighter in order to boost the MPG, so in order to get around better during the Midwest winters I put snow-tires on the front 2 tires to gain better traction. The ground clearance and vehicle weight are certainly some key ideas to keep in mind if you're debating between purchasing a sedan and SUV. With all of that said I would highly recommend this car to anyone who wants good MPG, many tech features, good interior space including a larger trunk than expected, without having to pay 30k+."

IF I ONLY KNEW

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

"2013 altima 2.5SL with Nav. After 5k miles the CVT transmision started to vibrate while driving around town. Now at 9k its getting worse. I went through Nissans customer care program and after four atempts to fix the vibration problem I was told this is normal nothing more they do. Also The rear view monitor is not clear. Nissan changed the camera which did not help. Other than that the rest of the car is very good . Nice hwy ride. I would not recommend buying a new Altima."

Love my new Altima!

By on Thursday, August 01, 2013

Pros: "Exterior/interior styling, gas mileage"

"I traded in my 2012 Altima SL for the 2013 SL due to the many upgrades, improved gas mileage and redesigned look. I loved my 2012 Altima, but I couldn't be more happy with my choice. I've read several complaints focused on the CVT, but it really does take some getting use to. I previously owned a 2010 Nissan Sentra with the CVT as well so this is my third vehicle with this type of transmission. It is definitely a different driving feeling and sound but has always proved reliable."

whats not to like

By on Thursday, November 08, 2012

Pros: "good value"

Cons: "so far none"

"The driving experience is great, quiet and it has a solid feel on the highway. The seats are as advertised very comfortable. One of my favorite features is the backup camera which gives added confidence when backing out of the drive."

love this car!

By on Thursday, June 04, 2015

Pros: "Looks great, very comfortable, and very peppy!"

Cons: "I preferred the steering on my old Chrysler Cirrus"

"Once I got used to the steering, this car is a dream. Seats are great! I have an Altima S, and it beats everything at the stoplights and I don't apply any unusual pressure on the gas pedal."

Great MPG, very roomy in rear seat area.

By on Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Pros: "Great vehicle, will buy another later in 2015."

Cons: "4 cylinder engine noise is loud on acceleration."

"Vehicle is great on fuel mileage, 40 on Interstate with AC, 27 locally. Only problem is with electronics, on rare occasion the Nav/audio screen will reboot for no known reason. Works great otherwise. Nice vehicle, great on interstate highway."

Wow! I am Really Impressed!

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "Performance & Fuel Mileage"

Cons: "NONE"

"This car was given to me as a loaner. Before I drove this car I was considering a Honda Accord. This vehicle is an Altima SV with a 4-cylinder engine. It has the CVT with the D-Step which acts as an overdrive. It performs very well and the cloth '0' gravity seats are the most comfortable seats I ever sat in lately. The fuel mileage is incredible. I am averaging 28.6 to 30.5 around town. On the highway it jumps right up to 33 MPG. I am sure that on a long trip it will out perform many in its class. The vehicle is very quiet and responsive. I would strongly recommend this vehicle to anyone."

Excellent design, very happy overall

By on Thursday, March 07, 2013

Pros: "Very nice and well design, excellent in and out."

Cons: "Don't trust the 38 mpg, other than that it good."

"I purchased this car over Camry because the design and the mileage. The best I can get is 30.3 mpg show on the instrument. But I actually check every full tank and each get about 28 to 30 mpg. I don't know how Nissan can make a big advertise 38 mpg. This is what I am not happy about. Also at the stop, acceleration is poor and does not sound good. Any one get better than I do please share with me."

unbelievable fuel economy

By on Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Pros: "great fuel ecomony"

Cons: "cloth armrest and dash instrument readability"

"I chose my 2013 Altima 2.5 SV because I thought it was an extremely attractive car and for the fuel economy. I also have a 2009 Silverado and wanted something for winter trips to Florida. Boy, was I surprised to consistently get 41 hwy mpg. A very comfortable car to ride in even after a 600-700 mile drive. I have had issues with the airbag sensors, but other than that, no problems. I am anxious to see the changes for 2016, as the Altima will be first on my shopping list. I have probably owned at least 30 vehicles over the years and this one is near the top comparing price with value received."

Incredible Ride & Performance

By on Wednesday, August 20, 2014

I want this car

Pros: "Comfort and Performance"

Cons: "NONE"

"2015 Nissan Altima SV - I found this car to be very responsive on the highway and very comfortable to drive. The SV offers almost all the features of the SL. In past years you could not the options the SV has now. The CVT has the D-step software update which simulates a conventional automatic transmission. The sound system is great and overall its a great car for the money!"

Avoid this car! Unless you like problems.

By on Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage, lots of leg room in the front."

Cons: "Problems that the dealer can't seem to fix!"

"Brake screech like a banshee and the dealer could not make it go away. Check engine light came on at 38000 miles. So far the dealer has changed the: Engine Control Module. Mass Air flow meter. Reprogrammed the ECU. Light came on again, am now at 42000 miles. I should not have purchased this car!"

Absolutely Love my Altima!!!

By on Friday, April 26, 2013

Pros: "price was right, enjoy the zippiness and fun ride"

Cons: "slightly smaller backseats than comparables"

"I bought my 2013 2.5S used, it was a rental car. It has 23,000 miles on it, which is alot for a 2013, but I have been pleasantly surprised at the mpg, looks, comfort and quality that this car offers. I am consistently getting 31mpg avg between city/hwy. Maybe that's because it's well broken in, but after driving an SUV for 8 yrs, I am thrilled to be getting that kind of gas mileage! It fits myself and my 6'4" husband and 2 kids comfortably. I would highly recommend this vehicle!"

Good so far...except low engine noise on startup

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pros: "good driving experience"

Cons: "low engine noise"

"Only Con: Low whistle sound can be heard when vehicle is started or below 10mph speed. Need to be some what keen in hearing the sound, keep A/C off."

My Second Review - Great Car

By on Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Pros: "Comfort and Fuel Economy"

Cons: "NONE"

"I did not have this car long enough to write an honest evaluation the first time. After having it several months now I would have to say that it is truly a GREAT CAR! The fuel mileage has been awesome! I have the 2015, 2.5L 4Cylinder SV with the CVT Transmission. This car is very fast and the seats are very comfortable. I did have a 2014 Nissan Rogue SL however the leg room was a bit cramped for me. The Rogue was a very good car but I needed more leg room. The Altima was the answer to the problem. I actually have to move the seat forward now. I would strongly recommend this car to anyone who is looking for great fuel mileage without sacrificing leg room and comfort, plus performance!"