2014 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,680 - $21,597.

10/8.5

7.9

Based on 218 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Nice vehicle some CVT bugs

By on Friday, February 22, 2013

Pros: "Nice styling, ride, options and great mileage"

Cons: "Noisey CVT"

"We have had our 2013 Altima 2.5SV w/NAV and Convenience pkgs since 7/12, previous to that we drove a 2005 2.5S for 7 yrs w/o any major issues and were quite satisfied with the Nissan brand. Like others we did the research and test drives of competing brands before settling on the newly revamped Altima. Overall we are happy with our choice, the car is quiet at highway speeds; handles and rides well; has all the technology we need and has great styling. Since this is our first vehicle with a CVT it took a little getting used to which wasn't all that bad EXCEPT we found that there was a rattle/growl/vibration at low RPM up to about 40 mph when accelerating slowly from a standing stop. The dealer has replaced the drive belt and tensioner twice, this seems to be a problem reported by other owners as well. The CVT was completely reworked for 2013 as a major means to achieve the "Pure Drive" rating of 38 mph highway, our experience so far is about 33 mph city and 38mph+ on long highway trips. Aside from the noted CVT issue we love the car."

Vehicle shutter/ transmission issue

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

Pros: "Wife loves the vehicle style, interior, etc."

Cons: "Transmission issues are a significant downside"

"2013/ 3.5---Severe vehicle shutter at slow speed acceleration from dead stop. Transmission replaced at about 2900 miles and with 6700 miles the new replacement is now exhibiting he same problem. So, after two months, we still have no answers from Nissan as to cause or how they might correct the issue. Dealership and Nissan were prompt in replacing the transmission when the initial problem was communicated but with the same problem being present in the new transmission I am in a holding pattern on what the next steps might be. I understand these transmission issues are specific to the 3.5 engine/transmission and are not unique to my vehicle. The dealership has had two staff driven 3.5 demos that have exhibited the same problem. Nissan Manufacturing has been given this information. This defect might be present in all or a substantial number of 2013 3.5 Altimas. I cannot recommend this vehicle until such time a resolution to the problem is identified and implemented."

Good Car For The money

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pros: "Nice interior,Good seats,Easy to drive."

Cons: "Road and engine noise."

"You will not get 38mpg on the highway. you will need time to get used to the CVT Transmission."

Great car but a couple of minor annoyances

By on Sunday, February 10, 2013

Pros: "Nissan name, technology on board, quickness"

Cons: "CVT is loud, more control over stereo,"

"I purchased this car in February after having researched cars to the nth degree. Test drove a Fusion and was almost sold on it with the exception that the center stack hit my leg in exactly the wrong place no matter what the seat adjustment (I'm 6'5"). Have owned two Maxima's so am quite enamored with the Nissan brand. Test drove a 3.5SL and fell in love with it. Everything is fairly intuitive and car is technologically advanced. Got 33mpg on the first road trip. Two minor issues that hopefully can be taken care of on the first dealer visit. First is a wind noise at the driver door that is actually fairly loud and the second is the tendency for the CVT to jerk periodically when starting from a dead stop. Aside from that, there are no complaints. I did manage to install body side moldings and the rear clear bumper protector myself (original Nissan parts btw) obtained from Nissan dealers doing business on Ebay. The car has a very firm ride that sometimes is a bit too harsh but overall is acceptable. A few design issues that would be helpful would be to increase the size of the temperature readout and put that along with the compass display either on the rear view mirror as in some cars or incorporate it into the head unit. Not all information is just for the driver. The rear backup camera could be brighter especially at night in dark areas as the image is very dim. The only other improvement would be a greater control over the sound system itself with some mid range controls needed over just treble and bass. Would the design issues have been a deal breaker, not hardly but the transmission and wind noise are not acceptable in a vehicle with a price tag of over $31,000."

Power Steering pump emits high pitched whine

By on Thursday, February 07, 2013

Cons: "Loud Annoying Whine from power steering pump 2013"

"Power Steering pump emits high pitched whine audible to all in the interior. Very Annoying Factory engineered problem dealers can't fix. Owners must complain in mass to force Nissan to recall and fix. Write a review everywhere, let's muster the troops!"