2013 Nissan Altima

7.8

Based on 268 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

Good highway cruiser with flaws

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pros: "See below"

Cons: "See below"

"After doing a lot of research and driving all of the mid-size sedans, I purchased my 2013 Nissan Altima SV loaded with all options in December 2013. I now have 17,000 miles on the vehicle. Listed below are what I consider the pros and cons: Pros: 1) Quiet ride on highway 2) Responsive handling and steering 3) Good brakes 4) Comfortable interior 5) Excellent highway cruiser 6) Fuel efficient (I average 30 mpg) 7) Nice sounding stereo (Bose speakers) 8) Remote car starter 9) Good looking vehicle 10) Comfortable back seat. Can seat 3 adults if they are average size. Cons: 1) Engine/transmission is noisy when starting from a stop. From 0 to 40 mph, the car is not very enjoyable to drive. I did not notice this during my test drive. At lower speeds, the car is noisy with a fair amount of vibration. If you have driven a car with manual transmission, it feels and sounds like you are starting from a stop in 2nd gear (when you should have started in first gear). Because of this, I am thinking of selling the car and purchasing something that is more enjoyable to drive around town. 2)Trunk lid has large u-shaped brackets that eat up a lot of room when trying to close the trunk with a full load of cargo. Seem like an outdated design to me. 3) Computer screen cuts in an out repeatedly. 4) Sun visors are way too small. 5) Back up camera has poor quality picture compared to other manufacturers. If you need a car for mostly highway driving and you want good fuel efficiency, this may be a decent car selection for you. Once the car reaches 45 mph or higher, it is relatively quiet and a pleasant car to drive. However, if a significant proportion of your driving is city driving, I would not recommend this vehicle due to the noise and vibrations of the transmission/engine when starting from a stop and at low speeds."

Great Car EXCEPT...

By on Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pros: "Great styling, engine, interior and electronics"

Cons: "Sadly. the CVT transmission is a major drawback"

"You will find that reviews for this car are at one extreme or the other. The poor marks usually are due to the CVT transmission. My decision to buy 2013 Altima was based in large part on my experience with a 2005 Altima that I drove for the past 7 years. That Altima was a 2.5 liter with a 5 speed manual transmission. It was extremely fun to drive, good on gas and proved to be reliable. Unfortunately, it was totaled in an accident and I quickly needed to replace. It came as a surprise that Altima’s were now only offered with a CVT transmission. Against my better judgment, I went ahead and bought the car with the CVT because I really liked every other aspect of the vehicle. I now have deep regret about the purchase because of the driving characteristics of the CVT. It is a shame because the rest of the car is outstanding. The CVT has two modes, “Drive” and “Drive Sport”. The latter allows you to pretend the car is shifting. It does not improve performance and is bound to put additional wear on a transmission that is already proving to have durability issues. Both modes cause the drivetrain to shudder and vibrate under normal driving conditions. This is due to the load being put on the engine at too low of an RPM. Drivability is severely sacrificed to achieve better gas mileage with this car. Ironically, my 2005 with a 5 speed manual transmission did almost as well on gas. It’s disappointing that Nissan has abandoned their loyal performance oriented customer base as they chase after the typical Camry buyer. The 2013 Altima ends up being a neutered package due to the CVT. This was clearly a conscious and intended choice by Nissan. They could have a made a 6 speed manual available for those that prefer that option. They already had that transmission fully developed and in production. At a minimum, they should reprogram the Drive Sport mode to not lug the engine down at low speeds. For me, the purchase of this car was a costly mistake that I deeply regret and hope others can avoid. I also hope that the decision makers and Directors at Nissan take notice of the sincere customer feedback in these reviews."

I've had a great experience wit this car

By on Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pros: "Great comfort, great mileage"

"I've bought this car more than anything for the MPG it offers. After driving it in a couple of 400 + miles trips I must say I am impressed. Its has a very smooth and quiet ride that is only complemented by the comfort of the new seats on the 2013 model. So far I can only say good things about this car."

Excellent car!!!

By on Saturday, August 4, 2012

Pros: "Interior, seats, sound, bluetooth, low noise, mile"

Cons: "None so far."

"I bought 2013 SL 4 cyl model 10 days ago, had long drive for about 700 miles and about 600 local miles. I luv the seats design, even after long drive my back was in good shape. Nice interior, great bose sound and excellent bluetooth quality. Low noise. An avg I get 38 in local and on highways avg was about 42 mpg. And being 2013 owner, I see people have an eye on my car."

Excellent Auto

By on Tuesday, July 2, 2013

"We have owned this 2013 altima since last oct. It has been a real joy to drive in every way. We just returned form a road trip to ft. worth, drove a total of 1600 miles. Our avg. mpg for the entire trip 41 when we pulled into our driveway. When we left texas for home our avg. was 40.3 so it took about 700 miles of driving to achieve an increase to 41 Drove on cruise most of the time, in the past I have gotten in the 39 mpg range The ride is very comfortable."

Nothing to apologize for; just a good car!

By on Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Pros: "Good value, comfortable, very good MPG"

Cons: "More of a logical purchase than an emotional one."

"I've put over 35,000 miles within a year--the most I've driven ANY car for the same time period. Very good, effortless, highway cruiser...the V-6 is strong and very efficient (averaging about 32 MPG on the highway) haven't had to worry about merging into highway traffic. The exterior styling is nice in the current, flowing Japanese sedan style language, but almost too anonymous. Interior space and design are well thought-out and reasonably roomy (for those under 6' at least); and the leather seats are quite comfortable. Even though it's not a sport sedan, the Altima with the 3.5 does respond well to spirited driving on some of the back roads in South Texas."

Outstanding

By on Friday, August 24, 2012

"I completed loads of research on this vehicle, including conversation with a Nissan engineer. Tested numerous hybrids, mid size non hybrids, the car was head and shoulders better than anything on the road in the price range. Looks higher end, both inside and out. After 2000 miles love the ride, handling, MPG ave 33, seats ARE all that, most comfortable drivers car seat I've ever had, overall good fit and finish. Heading down hill the CVT 2.5 takes some time to get used to. Strange feeling with increasing RPM. The 4 banger delivers strong passing power on flats and up hill. Enjoy!"

CVT ISSUES otherwise very nice car

By on Saturday, December 22, 2012

Pros: "Exterior and interior design, gas mileage"

Cons: "Noise and vibration extremely high"

"I have owned my 2.5 cv for one month and already it's been back to the dealer 3 times for the same lugging and vibration noise issues which I experiece on light throttle acceleration from a stop at around 1500 rpm. I have lodged a complaint with Nissan Customer Care and have been assigned a Regional Specialist to my case. In my first conversation with the specialist, I was imformed that Nissan is aware of this problem and is working on a more permanent solution. Meanwhile, Nissan is having serpentine belts and belt tensioners replaced in an effort to alleviate noise and vibration. Yesterday my vehicle was oufitted with the new belt and tensioner. I did noticed a fractional noise reduction but the swap did not significantly alleviate the problem. Unfortunately, Nissan is attempting to address the symptom not the root source of the problem... that being the CVT programming. With a simple CVT reprogram offered to those of us who are sensitive to the lugging noise and vibration, Nissan could make this issue disappear practically overnight. Instead Nissan is trying "band aid" fixes like belts and tensioners, presumably, in an effort to keep their EPA estimates intact. At the same time they seem to be abandoning longtime loyal customers. This is an otherwise extremely nice automobile if it were not for the CVT issues and I am hopeful Nissan wakes up and gets serious about resolving this very annoying and frustating issue at once before potential owners start looking elsewhere in this very competive market and before frustrated owners start bailing out."

Dramatic upgrade of a solid vehicle

By on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pros: "Looks, comfort, heated steering wheel, key start"

Cons: "None found yet"

"Have admired the styling upgrade for the past year and after much consideration of alternatives, I am very happy with the Altima ! Wow factor in full force with SL model, in all categories, value, tech, economy, connivence, performance , and safety. Most of all I love how it looks and drives. Based on past reviews I'm looking forward to many satisfying years of service."

Luxurious but noises and vibrations

By on Friday, December 27, 2013

"I have owned this car since June 2013. It has been very reliable. The seats are comfortable, the Bose system and the navigation is great, it looks beautiful inside and out. Good gas mileage. However, the noise and vibrations from the engine is unacceptable! Noisy upon slow acceleration and a vibration is felt in the steering column and the seat cushion. Too bad, this would have been the perfect car! Had 2 other Nissans and I loved them. Can't wait till this lease is over!"

update 1 yr of ownership

By on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage,comfort, options"

Cons: "cvt transmission,first year model has flaws"

"I traded my 2011 Altima for 2013 Altima about 1 yr ago. I bought a 2.5 SL, and really do love all my options and comforts of the car. However during this year of ownership there have been some issues. I had to have my altenator replaced at 15k no cost to me warranty covered,heated seat issue(not fixed till nissan finally said there was an issue)now they work great,I find that the doors make funny noise almost like they are misaligned. All dealership did was grease the doors. My advise to anyone buying a any car. DONT BUY A FIRST YEAR OR FIRST YEAR REDESIGNED WAIT TILL FOLLOWING YEAR!!!"

Great on gas mileage.

By on Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Pros: "Fuel economy, styling, steering, and dependable."

"I've owned numerous Nissan vehicles including a 2007 Altima. the interior of the Altima in my opinion is better than the Maxima. Yes I owned one of those (Fuel economy stunk and had to purchase premium gas. The altima's body style is awesome and the steering is very smooth. Fuel economy is great since I drive an hour each way to work."

comfoprt and acceleration

By on Sunday, August 9, 2015

Pros: "solid acceleration at any speed, comfortable"

Cons: "make navigation part of standard equip."

"Bought this car used 2 years ago, and has been a pleasant surprise. i kind of knew what i was getting as my parents had the 2012 Maxima. My Altima has the same engine, the 3.5. i love the CVT very smooth acceleration, seems to be instant power at any speed. Have had the car up to the 120-130 range and handled excellent, just like it does at 65 mph. 2 minor recalls on it and both were fixed within 30 minutes."

A year later and still loving it! (w/remote start)

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

Pros: "Stylish, good pricing, remote start"

Cons: "Gas milage can be disappointing"

"The new style of Altima has a very bad reputation. When I was looking for a new car, I was iffy on choosing the Altima. This was the car that I really wanted but knew I was not getting the 2013 models. I have owned my 2014 Altima for a year now and I am still loving it. While I will admit I did have some issues with this car that was making me second guess this car. The back up camera stopped working about two weeks in. I took it in and was told the whole radio (w/o nav) had to be replaced. I was not happy with this car being so young. The radio was replaced and about 4 months later the same problem occurred. Not only was the radio causing issues, there was a very loud whining at low speeds. Then the A/C fan became unbearably loud when it was on high mode. (The fan would sound as if it was trying to hard to operate and would shake the dashboard). This was about 4 months into ownership. So I decided to change service stations rather than give up on this car. Once I took it to a NON Nissan dealership... everything started working. The car now runs great! I no longer have any issues with it. The gas mileage is OK. The best gas mileage I have seen it 620 miles on a full tank! However I was driving in a small town and was driving through a couple of states. In the big city where I live, I average about 27-30 MPG. (Depending how much driving I am doing for that week) The cloth seats have been very durable and are fairly easy to clean. (I regularly clean my car due having a dog, every two weeks. The seats are beige as well.) With that in mind, this is how I have been able to keep the car looking new. This car is very comfortable, especially in long road trips. The car handles well and takes curves and turns fairly tight (it is not a small car but it does well.) When you lightly step on the gas pedal you can barely hear the CVT. (When the radio is on) When you slam on the gas pedal the CVT is loud and roars, but I guess that is a CVT. Overall this car has been a great commuter car. It fits me perfectly and I still enjoy driving it. My only advise to buyers looking at this car is take it for a extensive test drive. With the Altima's bad reviews and a lot of recalls, you definitely want to make sure that your potential new Altima is NOT another LEMON."

This car great in value, cost, incentives, price

By on Monday, April 14, 2014

Pros: "Value, controls, ride, audio, blind spot warning"

Cons: "rear backup camera too small"

"the car was last bought March 27th I have been having so much fun driving my Altima. Its a gorgeous car after owning compact cars for many years decided upgrade to a midsize this time. Altima was equipped with an 2.5 liter 4 cylinder engine, cloth heated seats, Bluetooth, Nissan connect system, remote smart key, fog lights, blind spot warning, moon roof, turn signal indicators on dual outside mirrors. I drive (8,500 miles) commuting to work everyday non stop a good bit drive so there is plenty of comfort having in seats and available Nissan GPS system best in voice recognition but rear backup camera needs to be bit upgraded as too small for the larger nav/audio touch screen. The Bose sound system works incredibly crystal clear on a nine speaker with USB port/iPod interface love added my music to the system as everything I have is at Nissan Drive (D) Advanced Assist Display fully equipped with navigation, radio, hands free device, fuel gauges being low on fuel when need filling up and low tire pressure monitoring. Vehicle has some remarkably good handling to car it drives very powerful being quietest car ever driven on the highways going 70 mph I love my Altima its been two weeks since bought it and a good car for the money being best in all available features."

This is our 3rd Altima!! I love them!

By on Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Pros: "Sharp car, love the factory car starter"

Cons: "Sun Visors are too small"

"Just turned in our 2010 Nissan Altima SE with 85,000. The only thing I had to do with it was put new tires on it because we drove them off of it! We obviously changed the oil every 3000-6000 miles. We traded our 2010 for the current 2013 which we just purchased in Decemeber of 2013. This vehicle was a certified vehicle. I love to drive this vehicle, the salesman say's this car gets better gas mileage then the 2010. The 2013 is roomy, the interior is like a space ship! The only CON I can list is the sun visors are too small. Great car!!"

Great car inside and out...excellent gas mileage.

By on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pros: "styling, fuel economy,"

Cons: "none noted for a 4 cylinder car"

"I traded in an Infiniti M45 for this car and love it. On the highway, I got 39.5mpg which is nearly 800 miles on one tank of gas. Around town and commuting I average about 32.5mpg. Gas mileage was increased a bit by utilizing synthetic oil. Overall, the car runs great and has lots of advanced features. 2.5L engine, while not fast has plenty of go so I don't miss the 8 cylinder as much."

Liked the 2013 3.5 SL so much we bought a second

By on Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Pros: "Sporty, classy, comfortable"

Cons: "No passenger power seat"

"I previously owned a 2007 Altima 3.5 with nav. It was a gem to drive and never in the shop. So wehn the redesign came out in September I had to trade up. I got $17k trade in on the 2007 and it had 46,000 miles, so the trade in va;lue on these are very good if you keep it clean. All of the reviews of the CVT are true, you either have to like it, hate it or get used to it. Since I was already used to it, the best thing about the 2013 CVT is that they improved it to add it as if it were shifting through seven gears. The paddle shifter is even better if you like the actual feel. Now, I have to admit, we have had some CVY issues that took it back to the dealer. At 20 mph, the CVT has a slight but irritating hesitation. Nissan noted that nothing was wrong with it but their mechanics did agree that it was hesitating. I am told that a programming fix for this is in the works. If you like to drive fast from a traffic light, the 3.5 is your car, very fast from a start, even better when passing on the interstate. It doesn't whine and it knows to go when you ask it. I've read the previous reviews regarding the Altima nav system. After test driving the Fusion,I was immediately dismissed by its confusing layout and buttons. The Accord and the Optima and the Sonata's nav screen is an inch larger but to me, the response on each was slower. It would be nice if the Altima had a shiels to block incoming light but overall, it was responsive and user friendly. The Bluetooth system is also easy to use and is not noisy when making calls. Overall, the mileage has improved a few miles over the older Altima. Averaging around 24 with a good mix of interstate and stop and go driving. Long trips are a breeze either driving or as a passenger. The new front seats are the most comfortable then any in its class. I like the car so much we decided to buy a second one. The only other drive I liked was the Sonata. Yes it's a few thousand less but it's not as sporty as the Altima and doesn't have the Blind Spot or Lane Change warning system. I give the 3.5 Altima high marks"

Just leased the new Altima

By on Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pros: "Sexy curves, great navi,"

Cons: "SV model doesnt have HID lights"

"I am writing this review after only having the car for one week. I had a 2011 Maxima that was totaled in a flood from the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. I was debating on going back into the Maxima but I really love the look of the Altima. My Maxima was fully loaded and I loved it. After weighing my options I decided to go with the 2.5 SV Altima. All I can say is WOW! I didn't get the leather or Bose option this time around. I do miss the sound system and the leather I had on my Maxima. The Altima sound system is "okay" and I feel it could be a bit better. Overall I really enjoy the car thou. The navigation is pretty cool and the look of the car is pretty sexy in black. I only did a 24 month lease and put the taxes down and my payment is under $250 a month. Nissan is advertising 2k down plus taxes for the 2.5S model for 199 a month so I feel I got a great deal on this. I am extremely happy with the car!"

Best Altima Yet

By on Monday, December 24, 2012

Pros: "Quality, Comfort, Efficiency, Safe, Convenient"

Cons: "Short list of compatible phones. Needs fw update!!"

"I read all the reviews about the "noisy" CVT transmission, but I've had my 3.5 SL for about two months with no issues. My last car was a 2007 2.5 SL and the new CVT runs better than my older car. I fell in love with this car during the test drive. This car is attractive, sporty, fuel efficient, and extra comfortable. The BSW and LDW are excellent safety features for those who have a lot of interstate or city travel. I'm usually a stickler for the minor details, but my car is the smoothest car I've ever driven. I do hope Nissan is able to address the problems some people have with the CVT performance."

Nice Looking, Noisy Car

By on Thursday, December 13, 2012

"Having driven the 2013 Altima SL 4 cyl. for 5,000 miles now I have some things to say. I have taken the car back to the dealer to address some issues. They are as follows: 1) Acceleration through 1,400 rpms is rough, the transmission seems to struggle creating a noticeable rumbling/vibrating sound which you can hear in the car. The dealer says that is normal for the 4 cyl. 2) The power steering assist motor is loud and you can hear a whirring sound inside the car. The dealer says that is normal. 3) Sitting at a stop light the car sometimes vibrates and shakes not violently but enough to notice. I drove a 2009 Altima SL 4 cyl. for 3 years and loved its smooth ride so much I was sold on the new model’s better looks but now I miss the 2009’s smooth ride. The gas milage is better and it does ride smooth under and over the 1,400 rpm range. One mechanic suggested I use premium gas to alleviate the vibration/rumbling around 1,400 rpm but that did not help. The issues above take away from the positive features of the car. For Nissan the issues above should be unacceptable and should be fixed."

How do I love my new Altima? Let Me Count the Ways

By on Saturday, January 5, 2013

Pros: "Athletic, highly fuel-efficient, technology-rich"

"1. I love the 36-38 mpg I get on the highway, depending on load. 2. I love the handling and ride--responsive but smooth. 3. I love the technology package (I have the SL model), that allows me to talk on the phone hands free, play Pandora through my phone, navigate with ease, even connect a portable hard drive and listen to thousands of books and songs. 4. I love the rear camera and the moving object warning and lane departure warning it provides. 5. I love the NASA-inspired front bucket seats--most comfortable ride possible. 6. Despite complaints by others about the CVT, and even after acknowledging the "rubber-band" effect when accelerating at low speeds, I love its responsiveness, and of course the way it keeps gas consumption low. 7. I love the "athletic" feel of this car on the road, around corners, up and down mountain passes. Two recent long "break-in" trips--one from Atlanta to Detroit and back, one from Atlanta to Tampa and back--made driving feel like a joy again. And did I mention the 38 mpg on the highway?"

Great retool on the 13

By on Friday, July 27, 2012

Pros: "Very nice job on the 2013"

Cons: "None yet"

"Nissan did a very nice job on the new car. We have a 09 and a 10 nite and day difference between them. Very nice int, package. Better seats than our cts. Love the wireless, going to trade the 10 in on another 13. Drive one you will buy one. We have had this car for 3 weeks it was 1 of 2 in the greater Milwaukee area. We were fortunate enough to buy it, still have not seen another on the road. Most Altima drivers have a surprised look when they see the car."

Vehicle shutter/ transmission issue

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

Pros: "Wife loves the vehicle style, interior, etc."

Cons: "Transmission issues are a significant downside"

"2013/ 3.5---Severe vehicle shutter at slow speed acceleration from dead stop. Transmission replaced at about 2900 miles and with 6700 miles the new replacement is now exhibiting he same problem. So, after two months, we still have no answers from Nissan as to cause or how they might correct the issue. Dealership and Nissan were prompt in replacing the transmission when the initial problem was communicated but with the same problem being present in the new transmission I am in a holding pattern on what the next steps might be. I understand these transmission issues are specific to the 3.5 engine/transmission and are not unique to my vehicle. The dealership has had two staff driven 3.5 demos that have exhibited the same problem. Nissan Manufacturing has been given this information. This defect might be present in all or a substantial number of 2013 3.5 Altimas. I cannot recommend this vehicle until such time a resolution to the problem is identified and implemented."

Upgraded from 2010 Altima

By on Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pros: "Value, technology, MPG, fun to drive"

Cons: "Sunglass holder too small."

"In Oct of 2012 I decided I wanted a new car. I bought a Buick Verano on a whim and want a mistake that was. 2 months later I traded it in for another Altima SV with Convenience and Navigation. I could not be happier. I liked my 2010 Altima, but I absolutely love the new one. It is comfortable, convenient, the MPG is great...I cannot think of anything negative to say."