2013 Nissan Altima

7.9

Based on 225 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Vibration and noisy drive train

By on Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Pros: "Lots of features for the money"

Cons: "Noisy engine and vibration from CVT"

"At about 5000 miles I started noticing the engine making a noise that sounded like the engine was "lugging". The noise progressively got worse and I could make it happen all the time by feathering the throttle and keeping the RPMs at 1500. At about 7500 miles I started noticing the vibration from the CVT. Under light acceleration at city or highway speeds I can feel and hear a vibration in the drive train. Now my fuel mileage has started to decrease. When the car was new I could consistently get over 40 mpg on the highway. Now I'm only getting 33 mpg. I took the car to the dealer and was told the noise and vibration are normal. Seems to me that I would of noticed the problem when I first got the car if it were normal. Needless to say I am very disappointed with Nissan. It's really a shame that Nissan would produce a car with such obvious problems because otherwise it would be the best car out there in its class. It has a lot of good things going for it but in my opinion the cons out weigh the pros. If I had to do it over again I would not buy this car."

Luxurious but noises and vibrations

By on Friday, December 27, 2013

"I have owned this car since June 2013. It has been very reliable. The seats are comfortable, the Bose system and the navigation is great, it looks beautiful inside and out. Good gas mileage. However, the noise and vibrations from the engine is unacceptable! Noisy upon slow acceleration and a vibration is felt in the steering column and the seat cushion. Too bad, this would have been the perfect car! Had 2 other Nissans and I loved them. Can't wait till this lease is over!"

Good highway cruiser with flaws

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pros: "See below"

Cons: "See below"

"After doing a lot of research and driving all of the mid-size sedans, I purchased my 2013 Nissan Altima SV loaded with all options in December 2013. I now have 17,000 miles on the vehicle. Listed below are what I consider the pros and cons: Pros: 1) Quiet ride on highway 2) Responsive handling and steering 3) Good brakes 4) Comfortable interior 5) Excellent highway cruiser 6) Fuel efficient (I average 30 mpg) 7) Nice sounding stereo (Bose speakers) 8) Remote car starter 9) Good looking vehicle 10) Comfortable back seat. Can seat 3 adults if they are average size. Cons: 1) Engine/transmission is noisy when starting from a stop. From 0 to 40 mph, the car is not very enjoyable to drive. I did not notice this during my test drive. At lower speeds, the car is noisy with a fair amount of vibration. If you have driven a car with manual transmission, it feels and sounds like you are starting from a stop in 2nd gear (when you should have started in first gear). Because of this, I am thinking of selling the car and purchasing something that is more enjoyable to drive around town. 2)Trunk lid has large u-shaped brackets that eat up a lot of room when trying to close the trunk with a full load of cargo. Seem like an outdated design to me. 3) Computer screen cuts in an out repeatedly. 4) Sun visors are way too small. 5) Back up camera has poor quality picture compared to other manufacturers. If you need a car for mostly highway driving and you want good fuel efficiency, this may be a decent car selection for you. Once the car reaches 45 mph or higher, it is relatively quiet and a pleasant car to drive. However, if a significant proportion of your driving is city driving, I would not recommend this vehicle due to the noise and vibrations of the transmission/engine when starting from a stop and at low speeds."

vibration machine

By on Saturday, December 07, 2013

Pros: "great front seats, good handling,very good mileage"

Cons: "vibrations, small visors"

"It is a low level vibration that I half feel and half hear, but it drives me crazy. And it is getting worse. I have read online of others with this problem. It occurs at gentle acceleration. I bought the car new. First it was a little difficult to get it to occur on purpose. I took it in and they reprogrammed the transmission. It got a little worse and they replaced the alternator. At 15,000 miles I took it to a different dealer and they said that the vibration was characteristic of the constantly variable transmission. I was ready to accept this verdict and try to decide whether to sell it or not. I am sensitive to vibrations, but usually keep cars 10 - 15 years, so I am not looking for perfection. Now it is getting bad enough that it is bothering my wife who is usually not bothered by little noises in cars. And early on, my 21 year old son asked what the vibration was when he was sitting in the back seat. The vibration occurs under light acceleration, so it occurs almost every time I start from a stop as well as other times of light acceleration at speed. In cruise control it now occurs every time the engine accelerates with small variations in terrain. I am going to give Nissan one more chance to fix it and then, if they don't, investigate the lemon laws in MA to see if that will help. Otherwise, I am probably getting rid of the car. One other minor complaint is that the visors are too small unless you get a car that is fancier than my 2.5S. If you are tall and put the seat way back, the visor does not protect your eyes from sun from the side of the vehicle. The fancier models have a visor that extends. I did kind of solve the problem with a visor extender that can be bought on line."

So far so good!!

By on Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, ride, seats, back up camera"

Cons: "None yet!"

"Read some reviews on this car and was a little concerned, took the car on a trip and averaged 39.5 mpg at 70mph thats pretty amazing for a larger midsize car! My over all mpg is 32mpg in the city all the time. For the new CVT transmission jury is still out on that one, time will tell had a little shudder at a very low Rpm once but hasn't happened again maybe the rpm' s are too low at a low speed to pull this large car but it only happened once. Love the features that come with the SV model, has an awesome ride on the hwy very smooth and quiet the 4 cylinder moves the car with ease on the highway and the seats are very comfortable,makes this car great road trip car!"