2008 Nissan Altima

Based on 1028 Ratings for the 2007 - 2012 models.

not so happy w/this vehicle

By on Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pros: "It's quiet, controls are easy"

Cons: "Jerky transmission; horrible driving seat"

"After reading tons and tons of reviews on this car and others, and the fact my mechanic said he wouldn't fix my old car any more, I leased the Altima. It's the Special Edition which is nothing special. The transmission jerks constantly, and the seats are very uncomforatble. I'm 5'10" and after about 20 mins, my driving leg starts to fall asleep. There isn't much leeway in adjusting the seat. And the seat is just plain hard. I'm so glad I leased rather than bought this car. It's fine for around town driving, and that's about all it'll be used for. Can only hope the dealer offers something down the road so i can give it back early - will also consider breaking the lease. Very disappointed."

Luxury for anyone's pocketbook

By on Thursday, April 26, 2007

"This car is luxury meets affordability. Go for SL package with all the trim and you will not be disappointed. Style, Performance, Gas Economy, and Price Tag. Cannot get a better car for the price. Had mine four months now and would not trade it for anything less than a 350 Z."

3rd Altima--still great 4 years later

By on Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Pros: "good pick up, gas mileage, average ride"

Cons: "OEM tires junk"

"I average 85 miles a day 5x a week. Only have spent money on basic services, brakes and tires. No squeaks or rattles like some of my previous American cars. Rides good and I average 27 mpg. I spent a few extra dollars on my first set of replacement tires at 45k, continentals were junk. Went with Pirelli and I still have about another 30-40k tread left. Tire noise is much less. I contemplated trading in on a new 2013, but without any major issues I'm going to try and get another 50,000 miles. Trade in value is low since Nissan dealer in area offers double discounts, so they won't work much with you. Previously owned 2006 and 2004 Altimas."

Very good vehicle

By on Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pros: "good $, good MPG, comfortable and fun to drive."

Cons: "keep extra batteries and a spare key!!!"

"This has to be one of the best vehicles I have ever had. I enjoy driving it and is very comfortable. There is only one down side to this vehicle (and probably any other with the same feature) If the battery goes dead on the remote key and you can't get the other key or a new battery, you are in trouble. You can start the car and drive off, but when you stop you have major problems. The gearshift locks in park. This is easily taken care of by the hole next to the gearshift, however the stearing column is a differant story. There is no way of unlocking the stearing column and unless your wheels are already straight, you can't even load it on a flat bed tow truck!!! There should be a way to unlock the stearing column like the gearshift. Of course once you get the other key or a new battery, your fine; but it could be that if you are on the side of the road, not even a tow truck will do you any good. You have to get a battery or another key. BTW, a new key is $200.00+ with another $100.00 to reprogram the car to the key and the dealer is the only one that can do it. With all that, I still say it is the best car I have ever had. Just make sure you can get another key and keep extra batteries in the car!!"

Mostly satisfied

By on Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pros: "Ride, Acceleration for a 4 CYL., cabin room."

Cons: "Cold engine noise, CVT hesitation."

"This vehicle is of good value for the money. I bought it used with 34K on the odometer and it has ran well since then. My overall MPG is 31 and I believe my highwway MPG to be around the mid 30's. However, the engine/CVT combo took some getting used to. The engine does sound like a diesel when cold and it will tick until warmed up under acceleration. I did a lot of research on that issue and the noise is due to engine design and solid lifters. I ran Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 filter for 4K and had a near perfect used oil analysis which indicated much less than average wear for the vehicle. So I guess I somewhat confirmed that the noises are not detrimental. I also had the CVT hesitation TSB performed for free from a local dealer. That was nice but it still hesitates and drops in RPM at approximately 30 MPH but I guess occurs less frequently. This is my first Nissan and overall things are fine. The ride is quiet and comfortable and the cabin is roomy. There are just some things to get used to with a new manufacturer."