2005 Nissan Altima

8.3

Based on 1284 Ratings for the 2002 - 2006 models.

Except for exterior paint, good car.

By on Saturday, March 22, 2014

Pros: "Good trunk storage & sound system."

Cons: "Center console difficult to clean..."

"Exterior paint has pitted on the front of the car. I paid extra for Armour guard, and I do not tailgate, so this is an annoying disappointment every time I look at the car. Other than that, I still enjoy the comfort, design & reliability of the Altima."

Excellent car

By on Thursday, January 2, 2014

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Crank shaft"

"I bought my 2005 altima brand new, the only problem I had was the crank shaft other than that the car has great mpg, love the space, and very reliable"

MY FAVORITE!

By on Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pros: "everything is a pro!"

Cons: "no cons"

"the Nissan Altima is an amazing car, ive had two nissans before. ive had a sentra and the Altima blows it out of the water. it my favorite car. it drives smooth. the bose system is great! it is a fantastic machine!"

Altima - Excellent Choice for the long haul

By on Friday, August 24, 2012

Pros: "Economy, interior room, dependability."

Cons: "Some interior points are kind of "Cheap""

"And what I mean by long haul that is if you plan to pay out the note. You can expect little problem in owning this car. In nearly 100,000 regularly driven miles the Altima has only had thwo "not our fault" issues. They were a minor interior issue, and the cam/drive-line sensor issue. So with the exception of tires, brakes, and batteries this car has not ever left us stranded. Another nice thing, you can still get a brand new same level Altima for nearly the same price we paid back in 2005."

I would get another Altima

By on Monday, July 30, 2012

Pros: "Nice to drive, great body style."

"I bought it with 12,000 miles on it. It has been a great car and very reliable. It has 135,0000 miles on it now. I've had to put some money into the car for repairs in the past 2 years for different things. I've kept up the maintenance since I've bought it. I would get another one."

Best Car I have ever owned!

By on Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pros: "Price, mileage, looks/runs great, fun"

Cons: "Exterior pain scratches easily, (but no rust)."

"I'm 64 years old, and have owned 20 cars. This is without a doubt the best car I have ever owned. It's fun to drive, the 4 cyl. motor has plenty of power, it looks great inside and outside, handles well, and gets GREAT gas mileage. I drive about half city and half highway, and in summer I average about 28 mpg. If I baby it, I can get 30 mpg. It runs great, and after 115,000 miles the motor sounds, runs and feels like the day I first drove it. I'm still on my second set of tires, and will get another set at 120,000 miles. The interior looks like new and is easy to maintain. My one compliant is that the exterior paint scratches easily (surface scratches, not down to base metal). There is no sign of any rust whatsoever. I am retiring soon and a year or two ago I had thought that I'd reward myself with a new car, maybe a Maxima, but frankly, I like my car so much I don't want to part with it! It has held up so well that I don't see a need for another one at this time. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat."

Even at her Old age I love her!

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "Value, dependable, spunky 4 cyl!"

Cons: "refuses to die! So prepare to own for a long time!"

"I have to say that I abused this car at every turn possible and she never ever failed me! She has driven I-10 from ocean to ocean twice! Never had any major problems! Plain and simple Altimus Prime is more than meets the eye! I wish I would have bought two of the same car and put one in storage...She is starting to knock and click a bit but is still going strong! She really does drive like a sports car, with all the room and comfort of a family ride!"

1st Nissan

By on Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Pros: "dependable, fun, styling"

Cons: "cant charge your phone unless car is on."

"My Altima was the first new car purchase I have made. I have owned several makes and models and my Altima is by far the best car I have ever owned. It currently has 132k miles and I have never had a major issue, nor dependability issues. I live in Iowa and every winter this Altima would start without hesitation... even if left outside in below zero temps. Highly recommend and will trade in for another new Nissan soon."

Best car for the $

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pros: "Easy to work on, parts are reasonable."

"I have owned this car for 6 years and except for normal wear and tear this car has been a very exceptional car. I have put 3 sets of Perilli tires(70k on each set), replaced the catylytic convertor, tune-up, rotors and pads, Mobil 1 oil change every 10k, cam sensor. All the work done by self, as I do not trust the Dealers."

Great handling, comfort and gas mileage

By on Monday, October 24, 2011

"I'm 6'2" and I fit comfortably. Handles great on curvy mountain roads. Avg 30 mile/gal, great sound system. never any problems, have only done routine maintenance"

WILL ALWAYS OWN ONE!

By on Monday, October 24, 2011

"I was recently in an accident with a very large deer at a pretty high speed and this car held up better than my prior SUV hitting a smaller deer at a lower rate of speed! I will ALWAYS own a Nissan Altima! Not to mention, my son is 6'5" and fits in the back seat comfortably!!"

over all

By on Friday, October 14, 2011

Pros: "Good tunes,good gas,fun to drive"

Cons: "plastic door handles,no ashtry"

"Over all I'm happy with my 2003 altama SE.I bought it used with ,118,000 miles on it and other than no ashtray,and the rear door handle breaking during winter,I've had very little issues with it.The Boose stereo still sounds crisp and very loud,the sunroof still seals with no leaks,and although it uses a qt. of oil between tuneups,I still get great gas milage.Plus for a 4 door it still has alot of get up and go and is very sporty.The heated seats are nice in the winter."

great car

By on Sunday, September 25, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "No,ipod hook up"

"Great car, smooth, reliable 10/10 times!"

Worst Nissan I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"I bought this car used at about 80,000 thinking it would go for over 200k miles because my last one did. At 131k miles the engine is pretty much dead and likely has a cracked ring. My mechanic also sees a small crack in the cylinder wall that he says he's never seen the likes of and may be a casting problem. This car has a very cheap interior and many of the plastic parts have broken or scratched easily. I trusted the Nissan brand when I bought this thing but is has burned 2 qts of oil every 3,000 miles since I got it. Very bad engine. Glad I was able to drive it long enough to pay it off at least. Bad car!"

Puts Honda and Toyota to shame

By on Friday, October 1, 2010

"I can't speak for the 4-cylinder engines, but the 3.5 V6 is a force to be reckoned with. Fast, responsive, and still pretty friendly on the gas tank. The car is well built, the center console doesn't shake like the cheaply assembled Camry's, and the cluster panel is informative and stylish. The AT can be a little hesitant to downshift, but that's the beauty of using the manual shifter when you want speed. Keep the oil and transmission fluid changed and the engine will purr as it should (it's the same engine as what is in the Infinity G35 and the base 350z - the transmission isn't as refined though). Would definitely encourage getting good Bridgestone tires (the stock bridgestones are the best combo of performance and comfort) Get them at firestone and GET the lifetime balance and alignment - the alignment is sensitive! Get a used one for 12-15k with less than 75k miles on it and kiss the competition goodbye!"

lemon

By on Thursday, January 21, 2010

"all nissan altimas in this year range have problems once they hit the 100 thousand mile range.....the engine, head gaskets, and pre-cat keep messing up due to a malfunction that there was a recall too....however the recall did not fix the underlying problem and even after getting a new catlyac converter the same problems happens again and it eventually causes damage to the engine...its jut a revolving problem....the worst car i've ever owned...i'll stick to driving camrys at least they are predicatble and reliable!!!!"

The 3.5SE Rips!

By on Thursday, September 3, 2009

"Best car I've ever owned. I had two maximas before this, 97GXE and 2000SE. Both of them had a quieter cabin at highway speed than the Altima. That's why I gave only gave it a 4. Not a big deal to me but some people might care. Other than that it's very comfortable. The seats are great. I could drive this car forever. One pet peave is the stupid curved display on the heat/AC. It manages to reflect the sun at any possible angle so you can never read it. Duh! So you move your hand over it when you want to read it. No biggie. Performance is great! It's quicker and handles better than both of my maximas. Turn off the traction control button and you have 240 horses teamed with a skyline suspension. Lots of fun. It's the maxima engine in a lighter car with a better suspension. I can take rotarys at 50 without sliding and barely starting to squeal. It also has surprisingly good mileage for a beefy car thanks to the variable timing. I get 27 mpg on the highway at an average speed of 75 to 80. On the Auto trans model 75mph is only 2500rpm. That's not even half way to the 6600 redline. No need to settle for the four cylinder. I really like the body design. It looks slick and new even though it's 7 years old. The paint job is also high quality. Not one paint chip after 7 New England winters. I have the tannish-goldish color which is great if you're lazy like me. I hardly ever wash it because it doesn't show the dirt. An occasional rainstorm is usually enough. The interior is roomy and comfortable. The trunk is way bigger than you would expect. I can fit my kids BMX bike in there without even moving the seats. I can fit my Cannondale road bike in there if I do move the seats. I drive this car hard and I've only had one problem. Mass Airflow sensor died and cost me $750 at the dealer. I figure that's a fluke. I never even had to get it aligned. I'm shocked at that because like I said I drive it hard and there's plenty of potholes around here. Driving Nissans for the past 10 years I've started to take reliability for granted. The best thing I like is that I have a fast car that doesn't look fast so the cops don't even notice you. The insurance is also quite a bit cheaper than the Maximas. Nice perk. Never had an accident but that's probably because I can out maneuver almost anything. Great brakes too. The Bose system is nice but a little piercing in the mids. Most normal people woulod never notice but I'm an audiophile so I'm picky. Most people will love the sound. The fact that I still haven't gotten around to installing my 2x12 800watt aluminum subs should tell you that the Bose sound system is pretty darned good."

I LOVE MY ALTIMA!!!

By on Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"We bought our Altima in 2003 as a demo with 500 miles. It now has 101048 miles and is still going strong. We've had no mechanical issues. I went from a 4 cyl to this 6 cyl and WOW what power!! I love everything about this vehicle. I would purchase this vehicle again and again and again."

A wonderful auto

By on Sunday, March 1, 2009

"We love our auto. It is easy to drive, comfortable, and beautiful. It is a poor man's luxury car."

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"I have had my 2005 Nissan Altima SER for 4 years and still love it. One the highway I get around 29-32 mpg and in town on an average of 24. It's classy, stylish, very comfortable and can't complain about its performance. I've seen only one other SER in the town where I live and people notice it's different from the other Altima's. I am a very satisfied customer. My only complaint is because of the SER package and it's sporty styling, it does have a little more road noise."

Run from this vehicle

By on Tuesday, September 30, 2008

"I have had numerous problems with this car. The cable broke on the a/c control, headlamps had to be replaced due to recall, numerous other recalls on vehicle. Main problem is the motor. Nissan is aware of a defect with the catalytic converter. It will disentigrate and shoot metal up into the motor causing the motor to burn oil. This in turn causes the rings to collapse and renders the motor useless. This happens around 100,000 therefore Nissan declines responsibility for any assistance in repairing the problem. This problem is well documented on automobile sites. And, if you call your local mechanic or your local parts dealer you will find that motors for 2002 Altimas are in great demand. I would not buy this car or buy another Nissan for that matter."

Bad engine

By on Monday, September 8, 2008

"I have an 02 Nissan Altima and they have an excessive oil consumption problem which destroys the engine. I had screws come a loose from the power valve which caused damage to my engine and now I need a new motor at a cost of $4,200. This is a result of the excessive oil consumption and Nissan will not take responsibilty for their defected engines. They recalled the 06 Nissan Altima but did not allow the previous models to be covered."

Very poorly built car!!!

By on Wednesday, July 9, 2008

"I bought this Altima new and it has been in the shop 12 time for several different reasons. This car looks good but is very poorly built. I bought the top of the line with everything on it. The paint is thin and had several chips on it the first week I drove it. The construction of the car is a poor as it can be. I have had problems from the engine to the sun roof to the instrument panel to the trim falling off and the air condition going out. That is just a few of the issues I have had. Before you buy this car just feel how flemsy the handles and knobs are. Nissan made this look good but built it very prooly. You can not even compare this to the Maxima. Do not waste your money on this car. You will be very disappointed!"

By on Sunday, May 18, 2008

"An excellent buy for its price. Has been one of the most dependable vehicles I have owned. Great gas mileage constantly in the 30-33 MPG range on the highway. Would definately consider another. Have had no problems. have , ve"

Power Loss and burning oil! :(

By on Saturday, May 17, 2008

"I'm sad to say that I am yet another sad 02 Nissan Altima owner that loves her car but is experiencing the mysterious jerking power loss and a really bad oil loss. I had an oil change 2000 miles ago and discovered that I needed to add 4 quarts of oil to my car already! Dealer wants to charge me up to $2500 just to tell me why my oil is disappearing. Not including what it may cost me to fix it. There is not one drop on my driveway which means it’s burning it, this is not good at all!!!! Very very very sad, because everything else about this car is great!."