2005 Nissan Altima

8.4

Based on 1216 Ratings for the 2002 - 2006 models.

03 nisson altima 2.5S

By on Sunday, March 30, 2014

"Excellent car. Great in the snow. Great ride. I love Altima's but; the opening to get to the gas cap does not work the bottom of the car is rusting away this should not happen to a car that only has 120,000 miles on it the engine and the transmission are great and I am getting 25 mpg"

Great Sports Car

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "Fast. Fun to Drive, Affordable, Roomy Interior"

Cons: "Noisy and stiff ride, prone to tire/wheel problems"

"Purchased the car used with approx. 60k miles and it currently has 125k and i have owned the car for 5 years. As a lover of sports cars i have really enjoyed owning this vehicle. Has great acceleration and is still a practical car. Car isn't the best in snow, but for a sports car its not too bad. Not the best mpg and the ride is a little stiff and noisy and when you hit bumps it really resonates in the car. Sometimes hitting bumps will give a sound of rattling plastic that seems kind of cheap. Low profile tires are also vulnerable to flats and dented rims which I've had a problem with here in NJ. The problems I've had with the car are minor and have never needed any expensive repairs throughout ownership compared to my last car, '98 Audi A4, which required maintenance pretty frequently always costing at least 1,000 and often more. All in all, the Altima SE-R has been good to me and I would definitely purchase it again and recommend it to others."

The car is in good condition. All maintenance has

By on Monday, March 24, 2014

"been kept up."

Except for exterior paint, good car.

By on Saturday, March 22, 2014

Pros: "Good trunk storage & sound system."

Cons: "Center console difficult to clean..."

"Exterior paint has pitted on the front of the car. I paid extra for Armour guard, and I do not tailgate, so this is an annoying disappointment every time I look at the car. Other than that, I still enjoy the comfort, design & reliability of the Altima."

Awkward

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

"Very Awkward to drive - owned it since day one and still sit too low to see enough to effectively feel like I can drive car like old car (Camry). Turning radius horrible."

These cars are junk! 2.5L QR25DE Engine is junk!

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "Good on gas before they start having engine issues"

Cons: "Multiple engine failure issues, poor interior"

"Trust me, I know cars- I've worked for a salvage yard for the past 18 years and rebuild these engines all the time. This is one of our top selling engines. We know they have the same common catastrophic engine issues. First the poorly designed catalytic converter integrated into the exhaust manifold fails, it starts producing a sand like residue that travels into the engine cylinders, it scars the cylinder walls, damages the pistons and rings, it starts to smoke when you first crank it and uses anywhere from a half quart of oil a week to 2 quarts depending on how severe the internal damage is. Usually I see head gasket issues as well with these engines which is another byproduct of the cat converter overheating and warping the head. DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE CARS! Do some google research or call the junkyards and ask about the engines in these cars. Some of these cars were recalled regardless of the mileage or who owns it for engine replacement but they are VIN specific, likely the dealership will tell you yours isn't part of the recall. If you don't hassle them about it they will hope you just move on. They are also told to say it's not a common issue but don't let them lie to you. Nissan should own up to their huge mistake on this engine and this car."

Loved this car from day one.

By on Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Pros: "Everything at hand. Spacious trunk/ passengers"

Cons: "more cup holders."

"A comfortable, reliable car."

Altima means Ultimate Car

By on Sunday, March 02, 2014

Pros: "Saves gas, fun to drive, roomy, looks good, value"

Cons: "jumpy on stop and go traffic"

Looks New, Drives New, Keeps it youth, Red or black best color,

"Purchased in 2009, my '05 Altima @ 38000 miles. Great car. Just wonderful, powerful engine for a 4 cylinder. Saves gas!!! Great acceleration, good brakes. Shifts up & down flawless on Automatic Trims. I'm a big muscular build 6'2" 250 has a LOT OF LEG ROOM!!! Very comfortable ride, very powerful drive. Now @ 84000 miles drives just as good as the first day I drove it. Only one problem in 5 years Camshaft had to be replace, that's ALL!!! NO ISSUES after that, just normal wear, getting new brake pads, rotors, oil change. Fyi------Castrol GTX oil 4quarts w/ 1 bottle of Lucas Oil Stabilizer every oil change, real Improves Engine Performances, Cold Engine warms up faster, and Engine Oil last longer!! My Best Personal Review."

Looks New, Drives New, Keeps it youth, Red or black best color,

Car is a beast

By on Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pros: "Good storage, reliable, great engine compartment"

Cons: "No rear vents, heating could be better"

"I bought this car on my very own when I turned 19 and it was the best investment I could of made. The car has been nothing but reliable and trustworthy. I have yet to have a problem with it and it is far from a lemon. Very attractive car, good looking inside and out and people mistake it for a newer car all the time. Comfortable and convenient with good storage. I live in Montana and live in very harsh weather conditions and it has done nothing but keep me safe, handles the snow very well and the driving dynamics are great very good to drive in the snow. Overall this car is a beast and I'm so glad I bought it would recommend to anybody!"

Very dependable and good gas mileage

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage great"

Cons: "no air vents in the backseat a must in Texas."

"This was one of the best cars I have owned. It is roomy inside, handles well and gets good gas mileage. The only down side was the air vents were always blowing in my face and the back seat didn't have air vents. Otherwise this is a great car."

gret car

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "reliable"

Cons: "dont know"

"most reliable car ive owned by far"

Very reliable car!

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

"Very confortable, good size,good gas. I love my car!! I will be buying a new car soon and I am sure I will miss my Altima!"

Excellent car

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Crank shaft"

"I bought my 2005 altima brand new, the only problem I had was the crank shaft other than that the car has great mpg, love the space, and very reliable"

Very Good car.

By on Saturday, December 28, 2013

Pros: "Good price. runs strong. No issues"

"This has been a great car. Good on gas. Love the ext. look, very sporty."

Car drive good only needs head gasket

By on Friday, December 13, 2013

"Car drive good only needs head gasket other then that it's good"

Engine failure

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Reason: wreaked-totaled

Pros: "Ride, confort, value (if you don't have engine iss"

Cons: "2.5 ENGINE"

"I purchased my '02 Altima in October of '12 with 164k miles on it. It had the "Check Engine" light on and the dealer (broker) assured me his mechanic checked the car and it was 100% good. I put less than 1k miles on it (I drive 100 miles round trip to work a day) and started having engine troubles. In less than 1k miles the engine started making knocking noise. I took it back to my mechanic who had performed all standard the services (oil change, air filter, radiator flush, etc.) on it when I bought the car. It was found to be out, not low, but out of oil. No leaks were found and it was not smoking. I know it had oil in it, because when I picked it up after the service, the mechanic was topping off the oil. They filled it with oil and I started checking it every day. All seemed good for a week. Then the engine starting running terrible and smoking. I drove back to the mechanic and once again it was out of oil. It was determined at that point the engine needed replacing. My mechanic contacted Nissan and was told my car had too many miles to be covered by them. As it turns out this is not an unusual event with this engine. Somehow catalyst from the catalytic converter was sucked back into the engine, again apparently this happens often. I am looking to buy another car, since I really like the Altima, I contacted Nissan regarding the engine issue. They responded that there are no re-calls in effect for the car. I have heard (now) of others having engine issues and some, Nissan has changed the engine at no cost to the owner (not my case-$3000, used engine). It disturbs me that this issue is wide spread and Nissan says nothing about it unless you have the engine failure."

I LOVE IT!!!!

By on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pros: "easy to drive and great price"

Cons: "their is none"

"I just got this car about 2 months ago and I love it. It is safe for my 5 year old and she loves it just as much as I do. It is just the right car for us and I want to tell everybody out their you do not have to drive a minivan to be a soccer mom."

Love Love Love my 2002 nissan altima

By on Friday, October 18, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, huge gas tank, great mpg"

Cons: "cheap door handles break"

"I have a 2002 Nissan Altima that I absolutely love. I have had it for a few years and been in a few wrecks (I'm a terrible driver) and this car has help up sooo well! I will say that i have had a couple of problems with the altinator, but considering that I have 177,000 miles on it, I cant complain about minor problems such as that. I am actually going to get a newer Altima next :) Would definitely recommend it!"

Almost 7 years and going strong!

By on Saturday, October 05, 2013

Pros: "Roomy, value, dependable, big trunk & gas tank."

Cons: "Only 21 mpg."

"I bought my Altima in Nov 2006, got a fantastic deal ($2,000 cash back) since I bought it near year end and accepted what they had left on the lot. I mainly used it to go 6 miles back and forth to work with longer trips every other weekend. I've always averaged 21 mpg, a little better with all highway driving. I love the 20 gal gas tank and the roominess of the car, both length and width. Unfortunately, NYC is not a good place to keep a car's body unblemished ....... between parallel parking bumper dents/scratches, narrow parking lot spaces fostering scratched/dented doors and winter potholes, the body looks as if it's been through the mill. I still love "my baby" though! When I move out of NYC and save up enough cash for a new Altima, I'll trade in my low mileage baby for a new one and get another year end bargain."

Love My Nissan!!

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

"I've had my Nissan Altima since 2006. Bought it straight from the lot in SoCal. She's traveled with me from Cali to Chicago, Virginia Beach, and now to Dallas. Only thing I've had to replace so far is her fuel pump. She's very reliable and I'm always recommending Nissan to friends and family because they last. Nissans operate off a timing chain instead of a belt. The chain can last up to 300,000 miles or more, depending on how well you keep your services up to date."

great car till engine threw a rod a 115000 miles

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

"loved the car, bought it to get my freshman daughter thru college 2 1/2 hours away. Wanted a good size dependable car and thought I found it. Come to find out the 2.5 engine has a history of throwing a rod. we had just had the oil changed and oil level was where it should be. I still like the car. Had another engine put in it(and used 2.5 engines are not cheap) just hope this one gets my daughter thru college."

Good reliable economic car

By on Friday, September 27, 2013

"ANOYING DRONE FROM REAR OF VEHICLE WHILE DRIVING."

Ride, handling great. Body rusting away.

By on Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pros: "Good handling, ride and design."

Cons: "Body is disintegrating with rust."

"This car rides and handles like the day I bought it (new). It had a couple new car issues such as; cv axle replace due to a torn boot, and reclined drivers seat would not return home. These items replaced under the warranty. The leather interior is high quality and looks very close to new yet. No drive train or engine leaks or issues. Cons: The trunk lid supports are too weak to hold the trunk open if you have a spoiler. Major design flaw..I have had the trunk lid hit me in the head several times when the wind catches it. The car body has the most rust of any car I have ever owned. Passengers floor board 12" rust hole repaired. The rear wheel wells are rusting all the way around and nearly rusted though."

best bang for your uck

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "excellent MPG"

Cons: "no cigarrett lighter"

"This car is very reliable and i've maintained it over the years. The MPG is also great when thinking about traveling or even just running local erands!"

My first "adult" car and a GREAT choice!

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Reason: Over the manual

Pros: "price, fun to drive, roomy, comfortable interior"

Cons: "No a/c in the back seat"

"I bought this car with 5 miles on it at 21, one year out of undergrad wanting something reliable as I'd had a few beaters fail on me. Three words: Best Purchase EVER!!! I am so glad I bought this car and not another mid-size car that I was considering at the same time (Mazda 6). It was HUGE (I moved across country in this car alone--ok, to be fair, I mailed most of my stuff, but still!!). I moved from apartment to apartment to my home in this car. It got me through 8 great years that included cross-country moves, grad school and marriage. I never had any real issues with it. Other than regular maintenance, all I ever had to do was charge the A/C (I live in AZ) and replace the tires. I kept it garaged so I suppose that's how the exterior held up so well, but all in all, it was a fabulous car. I live in a small city with few highways and LOTS of slow drivers so I was truly through with the manual transmission, but otherwise, I'd always intended to drive this car to 10 years (or at least 100K miles!), mainly because I did overpay--who doesn't on their first car?-- I just couldn't do the stick anymore. I don't miss it because I love my new TL too. I considered a new Altima, but I just can't with the CVTs. I just want to say if you're in the market for a reliable start and go car that will run well and quietly, drive comfortably for 2 or 5 and hold 4 patio chaise lounges in the trunk (granted, they stuck out--just not more than 2' which would've required a flag), this is the car for you! Of course, make sure you get one with an owner who actually did some maintenance, otherwise it's really not the car's fault...."

See if you qualify for