2004 Nissan Altima

8.3

Based on 1284 Ratings for the 2002 - 2006 models.

My first "adult" car and a GREAT choice!

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Reason: Over the manual

Pros: "price, fun to drive, roomy, comfortable interior"

Cons: "No a/c in the back seat"

"I bought this car with 5 miles on it at 21, one year out of undergrad wanting something reliable as I'd had a few beaters fail on me. Three words: Best Purchase EVER!!! I am so glad I bought this car and not another mid-size car that I was considering at the same time (Mazda 6). It was HUGE (I moved across country in this car alone--ok, to be fair, I mailed most of my stuff, but still!!). I moved from apartment to apartment to my home in this car. It got me through 8 great years that included cross-country moves, grad school and marriage. I never had any real issues with it. Other than regular maintenance, all I ever had to do was charge the A/C (I live in AZ) and replace the tires. I kept it garaged so I suppose that's how the exterior held up so well, but all in all, it was a fabulous car. I live in a small city with few highways and LOTS of slow drivers so I was truly through with the manual transmission, but otherwise, I'd always intended to drive this car to 10 years (or at least 100K miles!), mainly because I did overpay--who doesn't on their first car?-- I just couldn't do the stick anymore. I don't miss it because I love my new TL too. I considered a new Altima, but I just can't with the CVTs. I just want to say if you're in the market for a reliable start and go car that will run well and quietly, drive comfortably for 2 or 5 and hold 4 patio chaise lounges in the trunk (granted, they stuck out--just not more than 2' which would've required a flag), this is the car for you! Of course, make sure you get one with an owner who actually did some maintenance, otherwise it's really not the car's fault...."

Best Vehicle I;ve ever owned

By on Friday, August 10, 2012

Pros: "Great Vehicle, and just keeps on going"

"I had this car for 3 years when a tractor trailer dragged it over 200 yards up the express way!!!! My daughter in law who was driving it at the time was lucky not got have gotten injured at all. However the entire drivers side of my car was totaled. I had everything repaired and I've been driving it since. It handles great, still gets great gas mileage, and I've also had low maintenance costs all these years. I love this car!!!!!"

I WOULD ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND THIS CAR!

By on Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pros: "Great price, DEPENDABLE, low maintenance costs"

"I've owned this car for 6 years, after buying it in 2005 at two years old. I never had a major problem with it, only had to maintain it. Drove it in the mountains, across country, and in town. I am only getting rid of it now because I'm leaving the country for two years, and when I return, I plan on buying a Nissan truck."

My 2nd car

By on Sunday, February 24, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, 260 HP, great looking inside and out"

Cons: "MPG, driving on snow,"

"This car is sweet when i first owned it and still is. But i wish it would get more MPG. Overall a good car to own if you want a family car with a accent of a sports car. Injoy!"

Going to be a favorite

By on Friday, June 28, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, Passing Power, Mileage"

Cons: "With preventative maintenence- nothing really..."

"03 altima S 4dr auto. I bought this car a month ago from someone who didn't really take care of it unfortunately. There was some front end damage from a deer and it wasn't put back together very well. This led to me spending about 500 dollars for throttle body, TPS and some other parts when it just ended up being wiring. Even with all of this I love this car so far. Its the most comfortable non-luxury car ive driven or ridden in, its pretty simple as far as repairs (that dont involve the ECU) and has nice passing power. I dont beat on the car but I am late for work sometimes if you know what i mean. The lowest avg mpg ive seen is 24.2 mpg the highest i've seen (with premium gas) was 34.2 MPG... I dont know how accurate the MPG on the dash is but seems close to me. I like taking road trips and I have a feeling this summer this car is going to grow on me. Downside- the guy who owned it before me... And there are a few problems that 02-04 are notorious for. One is a recall that has to do with fuel mixture which i got fixed. The Power valve screws sometimes get loose and get sucked into the engine where they smash up the walls your pistons ride in. The screen closest to the engine on the cat sometimes burns up. ALL OF THESE ARE PREVENTABLE. I hate to end it on that note but if i had this car since it was new i feel it would make it 350k mi easy. LOVE THIS CAR!"