2003 Nissan Altima

8.4

Based on 1246 Ratings for the 2002 - 2006 models.

I WOULD ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND THIS CAR!

By on Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pros: "Great price, DEPENDABLE, low maintenance costs"

"I've owned this car for 6 years, after buying it in 2005 at two years old. I never had a major problem with it, only had to maintain it. Drove it in the mountains, across country, and in town. I am only getting rid of it now because I'm leaving the country for two years, and when I return, I plan on buying a Nissan truck."

Mad at Nissan

By on Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"I loved my 2002 3.5 Nissan Altima. I loved the way it handled and drove. I always did the suggested mileage maintenance on the car. Oil changes every 3000 miles. It was my baby! Around 115,000 it started to use 2 quarts of oil a week!!! Dealer couldnt pinpoint the issue. Told me that I needed new head gaskets. I went on the internet and typed in Altima execessive oil usage and several sites came up. Hundreds of people were having the exact same problem that I was having. Nissan has to know about it and would not do anything about it. I loved this car but I will not buy another Nissan. If you own one, check your oil very carefully after 80,000 miles"

A Good Used Car

By on Friday, November 23, 2007

"When I was first looking for a used car, I was out for an 02-03 Maxima, but they were a little too high-priced. I began to look at Accord (for its sportiness compared to Camry), but still wasn't sure. Thus, I came to Altima. All I knew was that it came with a stupendous V6 or a decent I4. 30,000 miles and a year and a half later, I'm still very pleased that I picked this over Accord. Mechanical reliability is the only nitpick I have, as the mass air flow sensor failed at about 60,300 miles (talk about back luck). Other than that, the car is quite reliable and a joy to drive. Handling is above-par, even without the sport suspension. The interior never won any awards, as cheap plastic is overly abundant in the car. However, the styling is spot on. This is NOT your parents' Camry or Accord. Acceleration is above average for a 4-cylinder midsize sedan, and there is plenty of room (in the front, in the back, and the trunk). The standard audio system is even impressive and easy to use. Bass is strong, the midrange isn't muddy and treble tones are very crisp. Most importantly, mileage is phenomenal. I have averaged 28.2 mi/gal since March driving roughly 20/80 city/highway. Drive lightly enough and you may make 550 miles on a tank of gas...the best I did was 562 miles on 18 gallons. Overall, Altima makes a good used car. Decent value for the money."

Almost 7 years and going strong!

By on Saturday, October 05, 2013

Pros: "Roomy, value, dependable, big trunk & gas tank."

Cons: "Only 21 mpg."

"I bought my Altima in Nov 2006, got a fantastic deal ($2,000 cash back) since I bought it near year end and accepted what they had left on the lot. I mainly used it to go 6 miles back and forth to work with longer trips every other weekend. I've always averaged 21 mpg, a little better with all highway driving. I love the 20 gal gas tank and the roominess of the car, both length and width. Unfortunately, NYC is not a good place to keep a car's body unblemished ....... between parallel parking bumper dents/scratches, narrow parking lot spaces fostering scratched/dented doors and winter potholes, the body looks as if it's been through the mill. I still love "my baby" though! When I move out of NYC and save up enough cash for a new Altima, I'll trade in my low mileage baby for a new one and get another year end bargain."

Going to be a favorite

By on Friday, June 28, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, Passing Power, Mileage"

Cons: "With preventative maintenence- nothing really..."

"03 altima S 4dr auto. I bought this car a month ago from someone who didn't really take care of it unfortunately. There was some front end damage from a deer and it wasn't put back together very well. This led to me spending about 500 dollars for throttle body, TPS and some other parts when it just ended up being wiring. Even with all of this I love this car so far. Its the most comfortable non-luxury car ive driven or ridden in, its pretty simple as far as repairs (that dont involve the ECU) and has nice passing power. I dont beat on the car but I am late for work sometimes if you know what i mean. The lowest avg mpg ive seen is 24.2 mpg the highest i've seen (with premium gas) was 34.2 MPG... I dont know how accurate the MPG on the dash is but seems close to me. I like taking road trips and I have a feeling this summer this car is going to grow on me. Downside- the guy who owned it before me... And there are a few problems that 02-04 are notorious for. One is a recall that has to do with fuel mixture which i got fixed. The Power valve screws sometimes get loose and get sucked into the engine where they smash up the walls your pistons ride in. The screen closest to the engine on the cat sometimes burns up. ALL OF THESE ARE PREVENTABLE. I hate to end it on that note but if i had this car since it was new i feel it would make it 350k mi easy. LOVE THIS CAR!"