2003 Nissan Altima

8.4

Based on 1247 Ratings for the 2002 - 2006 models.

My first "adult" car and a GREAT choice!

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Reason: Over the manual

Pros: "price, fun to drive, roomy, comfortable interior"

Cons: "No a/c in the back seat"

"I bought this car with 5 miles on it at 21, one year out of undergrad wanting something reliable as I'd had a few beaters fail on me. Three words: Best Purchase EVER!!! I am so glad I bought this car and not another mid-size car that I was considering at the same time (Mazda 6). It was HUGE (I moved across country in this car alone--ok, to be fair, I mailed most of my stuff, but still!!). I moved from apartment to apartment to my home in this car. It got me through 8 great years that included cross-country moves, grad school and marriage. I never had any real issues with it. Other than regular maintenance, all I ever had to do was charge the A/C (I live in AZ) and replace the tires. I kept it garaged so I suppose that's how the exterior held up so well, but all in all, it was a fabulous car. I live in a small city with few highways and LOTS of slow drivers so I was truly through with the manual transmission, but otherwise, I'd always intended to drive this car to 10 years (or at least 100K miles!), mainly because I did overpay--who doesn't on their first car?-- I just couldn't do the stick anymore. I don't miss it because I love my new TL too. I considered a new Altima, but I just can't with the CVTs. I just want to say if you're in the market for a reliable start and go car that will run well and quietly, drive comfortably for 2 or 5 and hold 4 patio chaise lounges in the trunk (granted, they stuck out--just not more than 2' which would've required a flag), this is the car for you! Of course, make sure you get one with an owner who actually did some maintenance, otherwise it's really not the car's fault...."

2006 3.5

By on Thursday, August 09, 2007

"I currently have a 2006 3.5 SE it's been on 4 1k road trips and not a mechancial problem currently @ 23000 mi, only 1 interior defect that's being fixed under warranty. Even with that I still think this is an overall great car!! As with any product there's always areas that could use improvement. On the other hand, If you are looking for a car that has amazing power, look no further. All I say is "duces" to those that step to my 3.5. I love the speed and still can fit the entire family in the car. "Priceless" I promise you won't be bored w/ the 3.5 it wants, needs and beg to be driven! Plus, it's extremely Cheap, not as cheap as a Sonota, but who wants that!"

Best Vehicle I;ve ever owned

By on Friday, August 10, 2012

Pros: "Great Vehicle, and just keeps on going"

"I had this car for 3 years when a tractor trailer dragged it over 200 yards up the express way!!!! My daughter in law who was driving it at the time was lucky not got have gotten injured at all. However the entire drivers side of my car was totaled. I had everything repaired and I've been driving it since. It handles great, still gets great gas mileage, and I've also had low maintenance costs all these years. I love this car!!!!!"

love driving it........

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

"fast,affordable economy car....not really fun to drive in winter....don't get me wrong but it runs okay in winter unlike SUV. haven't had any repair done except for breaks and oil changes."

Got car new and engine burned oil at 35,000 miles.

By on Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Pros: "fair fuel economy, easy ride."

Cons: "engine reliability is poor. cheap looking interior, uncomfortable seats."

"Brought car new and after about 35,000 miles, the engine started using about a quart of oil every 8 days. Nissan reluctantly replaced the engine before the warranty expired. At 86,000 miles, the engine is again burning oil. Checking the net I see this problem goes back to 2003 for this particular model. Nissan refuses to stand by their product and repair/replace the engine. After paying this car off, I thought I'd be able drive this car way over 100,000 miles, but now I'm faced with having to buy another car, and it will NOT be a Nissan product!"

Really do your research before purchasing this car

By on Sunday, November 11, 2007

"The radio did not work when I drove it off the show room floor with 1.8 miles on the odometer. Nissan put in a refurbished radio even though they promised me it would be new. The sticker on the front of the radio, which I peeled off, stated that the radio may contain refurbished parts. It has had to be towed into the dealership three different times because it just won’t start. The car gets to the dealership, and miraculously everything is fine. I was told the fourth time that I called and it wouldn’t start that I have to let the car run for at least ten minutes before turning the car off. So if I have to move the car say five feet so as not to block the mailbox, I am supposed to let it run for ten minutes or more so that the engine doesn’t “think” it is flooded. Yes, this is what the Certified Nissan Service man told me. Surely, Nissan can make a more reliable product. I drove the car through an automatic carwash the first two months that I had the car, and a piece of the weather stripping came off. Because of the air dryers blowing the piece, it beat the back driver side door, and scratched it to the metal. Nissan replaced the molding, and told me to have the car waxed and buffed and the scratches would come out. WRONG!! They are down to the metal, and Nissan won’t fix it. I had to buy new tires at 21,000 miles, and recently had it in for a knocking sound that of course couldn’t be duplicated. The auto down feature on the window doesn’t work occasionally, but again, the dealership can’t duplicate the problem. Now I have 26,500 miles, and the car rattles and the steering wheel feels like it is about to fall off. I am VERY disappointed, and have thought seriously about trading it for another car…NOT A NISSAN! If I weren’t almost finished paying it off, and really looking forward to no car payment, I would be at a Toyota or Honda dealership now. Really look elsewhere before purchasing this vehicle."

Altima means Ultimate Car

By on Sunday, March 02, 2014

Pros: "Saves gas, fun to drive, roomy, looks good, value"

Cons: "jumpy on stop and go traffic"

Looks New, Drives New, Keeps it youth, Red or black best color,

"Purchased in 2009, my '05 Altima @ 38000 miles. Great car. Just wonderful, powerful engine for a 4 cylinder. Saves gas!!! Great acceleration, good brakes. Shifts up & down flawless on Automatic Trims. I'm a big muscular build 6'2" 250 has a LOT OF LEG ROOM!!! Very comfortable ride, very powerful drive. Now @ 84000 miles drives just as good as the first day I drove it. Only one problem in 5 years Camshaft had to be replace, that's ALL!!! NO ISSUES after that, just normal wear, getting new brake pads, rotors, oil change. Fyi------Castrol GTX oil 4quarts w/ 1 bottle of Lucas Oil Stabilizer every oil change, real Improves Engine Performances, Cold Engine warms up faster, and Engine Oil last longer!! My Best Personal Review."

Looks New, Drives New, Keeps it youth, Red or black best color,

wishy-washy, please read

By on Friday, August 21, 2009

"it's hard for me to answer the question about recommending this car to a friend. this would be my advice to a friend. If you want beauty, this is the car. amazing beautiful styling, seats feel more luxury sedan than family ride, ya know? interior is the kind that is classically beautiful, the kind that never goes out of style. Come on, a BOSE sound system? The sound is awesone!!! Exterior also has beautful design with sleek but subtle curves. Or, if it's performance you want, this is the car. My boyfriend with his HEMI-ONLY attitude and who literally scoffs out loud at the mention of a 4-cylinder LOVED driving this car. For a large-capacity family sedan (I don't care what you say, this IS the catergory this car falls in!), this car can dust some "sports cars." Safety? For the value? Excellent! BUT! If you are looking for a long-term investement? STAY AWAY!! I would NOT recommend having this car past 90,000 miles. That was the point where my experience with the 2002 Nissan Altima SL was officially over-the-hill, and once it's going downhill there's no saving it. Even with regular on-time maitenance, with the best products!!!!!!! It's almost like dating someone with a beautiful face...but ugly teeth:("

Excellent car!!

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "Gas saver, reliable!"

"A very good car, super reliable . Have driven it for more than 125000 miles and still runs perfect, no issues found so far with regular maintains."

My 2nd car

By on Sunday, February 24, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, 260 HP, great looking inside and out"

Cons: "MPG, driving on snow,"

"This car is sweet when i first owned it and still is. But i wish it would get more MPG. Overall a good car to own if you want a family car with a accent of a sports car. Injoy!"

I WOULD ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND THIS CAR!

By on Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pros: "Great price, DEPENDABLE, low maintenance costs"

"I've owned this car for 6 years, after buying it in 2005 at two years old. I never had a major problem with it, only had to maintain it. Drove it in the mountains, across country, and in town. I am only getting rid of it now because I'm leaving the country for two years, and when I return, I plan on buying a Nissan truck."

Mad at Nissan

By on Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"I loved my 2002 3.5 Nissan Altima. I loved the way it handled and drove. I always did the suggested mileage maintenance on the car. Oil changes every 3000 miles. It was my baby! Around 115,000 it started to use 2 quarts of oil a week!!! Dealer couldnt pinpoint the issue. Told me that I needed new head gaskets. I went on the internet and typed in Altima execessive oil usage and several sites came up. Hundreds of people were having the exact same problem that I was having. Nissan has to know about it and would not do anything about it. I loved this car but I will not buy another Nissan. If you own one, check your oil very carefully after 80,000 miles"

A Good Used Car

By on Friday, November 23, 2007

"When I was first looking for a used car, I was out for an 02-03 Maxima, but they were a little too high-priced. I began to look at Accord (for its sportiness compared to Camry), but still wasn't sure. Thus, I came to Altima. All I knew was that it came with a stupendous V6 or a decent I4. 30,000 miles and a year and a half later, I'm still very pleased that I picked this over Accord. Mechanical reliability is the only nitpick I have, as the mass air flow sensor failed at about 60,300 miles (talk about back luck). Other than that, the car is quite reliable and a joy to drive. Handling is above-par, even without the sport suspension. The interior never won any awards, as cheap plastic is overly abundant in the car. However, the styling is spot on. This is NOT your parents' Camry or Accord. Acceleration is above average for a 4-cylinder midsize sedan, and there is plenty of room (in the front, in the back, and the trunk). The standard audio system is even impressive and easy to use. Bass is strong, the midrange isn't muddy and treble tones are very crisp. Most importantly, mileage is phenomenal. I have averaged 28.2 mi/gal since March driving roughly 20/80 city/highway. Drive lightly enough and you may make 550 miles on a tank of gas...the best I did was 562 miles on 18 gallons. Overall, Altima makes a good used car. Decent value for the money."

Almost 7 years and going strong!

By on Saturday, October 05, 2013

Pros: "Roomy, value, dependable, big trunk & gas tank."

Cons: "Only 21 mpg."

"I bought my Altima in Nov 2006, got a fantastic deal ($2,000 cash back) since I bought it near year end and accepted what they had left on the lot. I mainly used it to go 6 miles back and forth to work with longer trips every other weekend. I've always averaged 21 mpg, a little better with all highway driving. I love the 20 gal gas tank and the roominess of the car, both length and width. Unfortunately, NYC is not a good place to keep a car's body unblemished ....... between parallel parking bumper dents/scratches, narrow parking lot spaces fostering scratched/dented doors and winter potholes, the body looks as if it's been through the mill. I still love "my baby" though! When I move out of NYC and save up enough cash for a new Altima, I'll trade in my low mileage baby for a new one and get another year end bargain."

Going to be a favorite

By on Friday, June 28, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, Passing Power, Mileage"

Cons: "With preventative maintenence- nothing really..."

"03 altima S 4dr auto. I bought this car a month ago from someone who didn't really take care of it unfortunately. There was some front end damage from a deer and it wasn't put back together very well. This led to me spending about 500 dollars for throttle body, TPS and some other parts when it just ended up being wiring. Even with all of this I love this car so far. Its the most comfortable non-luxury car ive driven or ridden in, its pretty simple as far as repairs (that dont involve the ECU) and has nice passing power. I dont beat on the car but I am late for work sometimes if you know what i mean. The lowest avg mpg ive seen is 24.2 mpg the highest i've seen (with premium gas) was 34.2 MPG... I dont know how accurate the MPG on the dash is but seems close to me. I like taking road trips and I have a feeling this summer this car is going to grow on me. Downside- the guy who owned it before me... And there are a few problems that 02-04 are notorious for. One is a recall that has to do with fuel mixture which i got fixed. The Power valve screws sometimes get loose and get sucked into the engine where they smash up the walls your pistons ride in. The screen closest to the engine on the cat sometimes burns up. ALL OF THESE ARE PREVENTABLE. I hate to end it on that note but if i had this car since it was new i feel it would make it 350k mi easy. LOVE THIS CAR!"

Perfect fit

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "Great gas mileage, comfortable ride, smooth engine"

Cons: "Lacking power, Transmission is a little rough"

"I actually traded down to this vehicle from an 08 Altima V6 SE. I bought the 08 brand new and got sick of the payments and the gas mileage. This car felt like home the second I sat down for the test drive. The 2.5 four cylinder doesn't have quite the smoothness or the punch that the 3.5 V6 does but it gets around town without too much effort and without revving to the moon like most four cylinder engines. The gas mileage is a huge plus and there was no loss in comfort or ride quality, even with going back five years (I actually kind of prefer the seats in the 03 to the 08). I miss my V6 but this 03 is exactly what I needed at this point in time. Great car!"

LOVE My NISSAN!

By on Monday, December 05, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, sleek, good price"

Cons: "minor scratches"

"I have had my nissan for four years now and it has been the best car i have owned. It is definitely the most reliable car! I can honestly say it has never let me down. I also love the look of it, it is very sleek and i always get compliments for the car. I love the way it drives, very smooth and controlled. It also gets pretty good MPG about 23 MPG. I do a lot of highway driving so it is very reliable."

Excellent Buy

By on Monday, July 06, 2009

"I've had this car since new, Jan 2006, Approx. 36K miles. The mechanicals are all working fine and the body integrity is very good. Very little sound in the passenger cabin unless you really floor it. During a recent 600 mile trip, hiway mileage was a solid 32 mpg with the A/C on much of the time. In town gas mileage is a consistent 24 mpg. I will keep mine for a while. I recommend this car highly to anyone who is in the market for a reliable used sedan that will seat 4 very comfortably and deliver good gas mileage without repair expense."

Excellent vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

"I drove Honda Accords for 15 years...They are still great cars but I was just plain sick of them. I've had my Altima 2.5 SL for 4 years and never had a day of problems...Starts up every time, only regular maintenence is needed. My only problem with the car and this was prevelent in the Honda as well, it has a large turning radius. That's it. Other than that, the car is a dream...I recommend it highly!"

Sweet Little Car

By on Thursday, May 21, 2015

Pros: "Fun To Drive"

Cons: "Slightly Worn"

"This Nissan has been good to me and parts of my family. The outside and inside are both simple. It's brakes are perfectly fine, don't need replacing. It saves you on gas very well, you can pull off sharp turns if needed. Headlight covers are of a foggy or misted texture, doesn't need any light replacements, original white painted exterior, original mats are still within the Nissan, grey interior, spacious trunk and inside cab, enough room for five persons, original radio"

Very dependable and good gas mileage

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage great"

Cons: "no air vents in the backseat a must in Texas."

"This was one of the best cars I have owned. It is roomy inside, handles well and gets good gas mileage. The only down side was the air vents were always blowing in my face and the back seat didn't have air vents. Otherwise this is a great car."

AWESOME BUY BUY BUY BUY

By on Thursday, July 11, 2013

Pros: "POWERFUL NO ISSUES BEAUTIFUL FRONT INTERIOR"

Cons: "NONE"

"This car gives the only finest quality of transportation to be seen on this road. It is very reliable, safe, and has never had a major repair unless i got my back bumper knocked off. When the Nissan company recalled the Altima. It was one of the only cars that didn't get recalled."

Nothing Compares!

By on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pros: "Excellent gas mileage"

Cons: "Horrible turn radius"

"The Bose Premium Sound System is incredible. I love the electric blue color because my car is easy to see in heavy traffic and/or at night. It's comfortable, drives well (with the exception of the turn radius - that stinks) and is without a doubt the best car I've ever owned! I'm looking at the new Nissan Altimas and none compare to my car. It's sad because to purchase a new Altima is downgrading from the 2003 I own now."

Best car I have ever owned

By on Saturday, April 06, 2013

Pros: "great to drive. Nice a long trips"

"I love this car. I have 181,300 miles and wondering how many more I will be able to get out of it. Have had hardly any problems. regular maintenance Would love to buy another."

One of my all time favorite cars

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

"I have enjoyed driving this car for years. It is roomy and rides very comfortably and gets good gas mileage (26-27). With 115,000 miles, it has only had a few minor maintenance issues and continues to run great. I have driven newer Altimas and find them to be equally fun to drive. I would get a new one, but this one will probably last another 100,000 miles first."