2002 Nissan Altima

8.4

Based on 1197 Ratings for the 2002 - 2006 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT - not for anyone

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pros: "cute as it SITS in my driveway"

Cons: "class action lawsuit"

"GOOGLE ALTIMA PROBLEMS.....We purchased it used in 2005 from dealer w/Nissan vehicle warranty. It began to lose oil (1qt month) & we took it to Nisaan warranty repair. They said if *I* tear down the engine, $2,500, and it is found to be defective by Nissan (ha!) Nissan will reimburse our $2,500. Now the a/c compressor has froze but worse is that it lost power. 3 mechanics told us that the cat is clogged! GOOGLE ALTIMA CAT PROBLEMS. So if were replace the Cat (which is expensive!) it will clog again as the oil gets sucked back into the cat. There is a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT by many other customers but I just want a car to drive. Poor, poor quality & poor customer service."

Not buying again!

By on Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pros: "great interior, sound system"

Cons: "engine"

"Bought this car brand new with 11 miles on it in '03. It has truly come time to think about a new purchase. The sensors and coils were replaced 2 wks ago. And now the catalytic converters are done at 98000 miles. The car sounds like a lawnmower and will not increase past 40 if my life depended on it. Probably going to get a Honda or Chevy Equinox (need to research those more) but definitely not another Nissan. EVER."

My Altima 3.5SE rocks!

By on Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pros: "Fast, fun functional"

Cons: "Interior materials could be upgraded"

"I bought this car used @ 16,000 miles/3 yrs old. My only regret was buying the extended warranty 'cause I don't think it'll ever get any play, but the jury still out on that with another 29K left on it. Most of my miles highway (1,600/mos) and I don't wind it up very often, but when I do it sure is fun! It was super-clean when I got it, and I'm good about keeping it serviced, so no issues beyond routine maintenance. I replaced the original rubber around 30K with Michelin Primacys, change the oil every 5k and replaced the battery after the 2nd year I had it. Just had the brakes done all around at 70K & flushed the coolant and brakes. My mechanic told me today I can expect another 200K from it as long as I keep the maintenance up. Not sure about that, but I don't anticipate any problems for another 100k. The car is nimble & quick. Quick enough to break the front end loose easily if you jump on it from a standing start, and has even broke loose from rolling along around 20mph; have to be gentle in wet conditions or I can't even get it off the line! Handling is ok, like most front end drives a little squirrely if you get too agressive; I never did get the hang of accelerating when the back end breaks loose, but tight enough to have fun with it. Visibility is good, and I recommend window tinting, but I would living in FL. I wish it had leather seats, but cloth is fine, and the interior alright, but arm rest console a little cheesy. Road noise could be less, especially on rougher pavement, and highway wind noise fairly noticeable @ 80+ mph, so turn up the tunes! Overall, I love the car; fast, fun, and functional. It's a handsome car, and sporty without being too flashy. The newer ones should be awesome, and my next one may be a coupe. Thanks Nissan!"

Made for the road (and the pocketbook!)

By on Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Pros: "comfortable ride, great looks, terrific MPG"

Cons: "cannot think of one thing!"

"I bought this car used in 2006 with 45K miles on it (the former owner was a sales rep) and I have LOVED this car since day 1! I am particular about maintenance, so this vehicle has been kept up and has been the best car I've ever owned. It loves the road...it accelerates well and smoothly, doesn't mind climbing the Arkansas or Colorado mountain roads, and gets phenomenal gas mileage. Highway MPG is consistently between 31 and 33; local driving (I live in a hilly area) 24 to 27. It is classy--black black, heavily tinted windows, with a much nicer (opinion) profile than the newer models. The steering wheel and console gear shift are leather wrapped which makes for a very fine interior option. The driver power seat is a great option. Since my purchase of this vehicle many family members have become Nissan owners. My son owns a Nissan Xterra (I traded mine in for the Altima) and Altima; my niece, an Xterra, my daughter also owns a 2011 Altima. And no, none of us are associated with or know anyone at Nissan!! Just a great car which pleases everyone who rides in or drives it."

great car great power great handling

By on Monday, September 24, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "arm rest to low"

"best car i have ever own up to this point and i have own a lot being 77 years old a lot more power than you need it rides alittle stiff but it handles great i do have the sports pactage"

WORST CAR I EVER BOUGHT !

By on Friday, September 07, 2012

Pros: "nice interior"

Cons: "bad engine desighn"

"bought car in 2010 with 13600, shortly after code po 420 code is stored . after alot of hard work i found out nissan had a bad engine design. catylitic converters go bad around 100,000 miles. particles from the cat get sucked back in the engine killing it.engine's should'nt go bad at 100,000 miles. I'll Never Buy Another Nissan Again.Hope you don't either."

Never buying another nissan

By on Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pros: "room"

Cons: "engine design, catalytic converter, sensors"

"I bought this car 4 days ago, 2 days ago a sign came up saying service engine soon. Turns out it's my catalytic converter. So i researched the car more.. A lot of people have this issue as well as engine failure. I plan on selling or trading in this car as soon as possible so i'm going to lose money.. Don't buy an altima!! they have a horrible engine design and it's not worth the money or the stress."

Altima - Excellent Choice for the long haul

By on Friday, August 24, 2012

Pros: "Economy, interior room, dependability."

Cons: "Some interior points are kind of "Cheap""

"And what I mean by long haul that is if you plan to pay out the note. You can expect little problem in owning this car. In nearly 100,000 regularly driven miles the Altima has only had thwo "not our fault" issues. They were a minor interior issue, and the cam/drive-line sensor issue. So with the exception of tires, brakes, and batteries this car has not ever left us stranded. Another nice thing, you can still get a brand new same level Altima for nearly the same price we paid back in 2005."

I Still Love Driving It

By on Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pros: "Spacious, Quick, Solid MPG"

Cons: "NONE"

"I bought my 2002 3.5 Altima when it was just a baby on the new car lot. I absolutely loved it from the 1st test drive. Here I am 10 years later and I am still loving this car. No mechanical issues, handles well and still very quick. Accelerates like a sports car, but transports 4 adults in comfort. i will be driving this car for as long as she will roll."

Best Vehicle I;ve ever owned

By on Friday, August 10, 2012

Pros: "Great Vehicle, and just keeps on going"

"I had this car for 3 years when a tractor trailer dragged it over 200 yards up the express way!!!! My daughter in law who was driving it at the time was lucky not got have gotten injured at all. However the entire drivers side of my car was totaled. I had everything repaired and I've been driving it since. It handles great, still gets great gas mileage, and I've also had low maintenance costs all these years. I love this car!!!!!"

I would get another Altima

By on Monday, July 30, 2012

Pros: "Nice to drive, great body style."

"I bought it with 12,000 miles on it. It has been a great car and very reliable. It has 135,0000 miles on it now. I've had to put some money into the car for repairs in the past 2 years for different things. I've kept up the maintenance since I've bought it. I would get another one."

Don't buy one..... poor engine design

By on Monday, July 30, 2012

"Engine is junk...... consumes oil like crazy even though it was well taken care of...was just informed it needs a new motor. Research on the net shows that there are lots of folks having the same issues, and Nissan will not acknowledge or resolve the problems..... time to buy a Honda or Toyota !"

Love this Car..!!!

By on Tuesday, May 22, 2012

""I Love" my Nissan. I named him Bentley simply because it drives like one and he holds great value. I've traveled to California and back twice, from St. Louis, MO without any problems or break downs. I would highly recommend this car to anyone. And I have an '03 I could just imagine how the '2012 operates.... Fantastic car. (Love It!)"

love that car

By on Friday, April 27, 2012

Pros: "great on fuel"

Cons: "wheels. Upgrade"

"This has been one of the most spacious cars for the gas mileage that I have ever owned. Fantastic. I wouldd definately buy another in the future. The only downfall was the quality of the wheels.The metal rusted, but did not affect the performance."

Excellent Car

By on Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Pros: "Great fuel mileage even after lots of miles"

"I had to replace the fuel pump after 1 week (dealer replaced for free) and since then I have had to replace only the air conditioner this last summer at about 290000 miles. Car has been easy to keep up and still getting 27.5 miles to the gallon."

love driving it........

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

"fast,affordable economy car....not really fun to drive in winter....don't get me wrong but it runs okay in winter unlike SUV. haven't had any repair done except for breaks and oil changes."

Excellent vehicle overall

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "Great car for the money, spacious for 4 adults."

Cons: "Style is dated, but its 8 years old"

"8 years old with no problems. Could use shocks, but that is a regular wear item like brakes and tires. Gas mileage averages 22-25 on my 40 mile round trip commute of mixed city and highway driving. Max on the hwy is 29/30 MPG. Good power for a four cylinder engine."

I love it!

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "practical when you need, fast when you want"

"I have to sell my Nissan pretty soon, but my heart is aching. It's a car that is very practical, I did a 20 mpg average, mostly city driving. It's a car that can accelerate when you want her to, but drives perfectly well with the kids in the back. I'm basically laying down every time I sit in the driver's seat simply because there is room for me to do so. I love you my Altima and I'll miss you."

EXTREMELY disappointed

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "At this point, none"

Cons: "Car died WAY before life expectancy"

"I was happy with this car until I was informed that I needed a new motor, @ 128,000 miles. I bought the car brand new and am the only owner and driver; This is an excellently maintained vehicle, with mostly highway miles. With help of local mechanic, ran car to 137,000 miles when catalytic converter also failed; engine is consuming oil"

expected more

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "costly repairs"

"This car drives great however, I was disappointed with how costly and difficulty finding correct parts to this car were(fog light, clutch, starters) I was expecting to get at least 10yrs out of the car I got the 3.5 v6 engine for this purpose but the car hasn't lasted. The handling for this car is excellent it is fun to drive, it also has a room interior and trunk which i liked. Overall i would say this car is OK."

Good value for money

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "quiet, power, features"

Cons: "repairs costly"

"i debated between accord, camry and altima. Very happy that I went for altima. it is priced lower, came with better options. Reliabiity is as good as the other car (Honda) that I have. i do feel sometimes repairs are bit costlier on this car."

Love our Nissan Altima 3.5 SE Sedan.

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Everything is great about this car."

"Our Nissan Altima 3.5 SE Sedan combines the convenience of a family car with the driving feel of a sports car. This car handles amazingly smooth with a very quiet interior. If you want get up and go I definitely recommend going with the larger engine. By far one of the best car purchases we have ever made."

A safe car that can be quite fast.

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, very fast for a sedan, VERY SAFE!"

Cons: "only gets 26-27 mpg on highway."

"I was gifted this car from my father when I turned 16. Granted that we had this car for six years, but it was now personally mine. I drove 25 miles to school and 25 miles back every monday to friday. I got the car when it had 70,000 miles on it. In two years, I put on 21,000 miles on the car. That puts a lot of strain on the engine, especially when I drive 75-80 to school. Eventually, right in front of my school. I got in a wreck. The person turned left onto the road while I was going straight at 50 mph, suffice to say, the car is now totaled. However, I walked out of that car a little disoriented, but no injuries at all, only a tiny bruise where the air bag brushed my wrist. I had my sister in the car with me, she didn't even get a bruise like I did. This car saved my life and I thank the engineers at Nissan for making a safe car. But onto the car itself. It was very reliable, roomy and very fast too. There is a lot of headroom and leg space front AND rear. I also added an Amp and two subs in the trunk, it still had A LOT of space in the trunk; that trunk is HUGE. I got 0-60 in 6 seconds, that's about as fast as a porsche boxster. It handled very well too, but I didn't need it too much in texas. If I could, I would buy this car again."

Amazing car!

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "I love my Nissan!"

Cons: "Nothing bad to say"

"Great value, best MPG, worth every penny! I wouldnt think twice about buying this car again!"

First car

By on Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pros: "quick, sporty, lots of space"

Cons: "color, sunglasses case too small for my Oakleys"

"This is my first car and I love it. I have had NO trouble with it at all. The interior is holding up great especially from the wear and tear from me and my friends. The trunk is huge and fits 4 sets of clubs easily and the back seat is very comfortable and has plenty of room. The Bose stereo system is amazing, all my friends are amazed at the amount of base and clarity I have in my car. Even with 123,000 miles I plan to drive this for a long time."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25