2002 Nissan Altima

8.4

Based on 1261 Ratings for the 2002 - 2006 models.

Run from this vehicle

By on Tuesday, September 30, 2008

"I have had numerous problems with this car. The cable broke on the a/c control, headlamps had to be replaced due to recall, numerous other recalls on vehicle. Main problem is the motor. Nissan is aware of a defect with the catalytic converter. It will disentigrate and shoot metal up into the motor causing the motor to burn oil. This in turn causes the rings to collapse and renders the motor useless. This happens around 100,000 therefore Nissan declines responsibility for any assistance in repairing the problem. This problem is well documented on automobile sites. And, if you call your local mechanic or your local parts dealer you will find that motors for 2002 Altimas are in great demand. I would not buy this car or buy another Nissan for that matter."

Bad engine

By on Monday, September 08, 2008

"I have an 02 Nissan Altima and they have an excessive oil consumption problem which destroys the engine. I had screws come a loose from the power valve which caused damage to my engine and now I need a new motor at a cost of $4,200. This is a result of the excessive oil consumption and Nissan will not take responsibilty for their defected engines. They recalled the 06 Nissan Altima but did not allow the previous models to be covered."

Very poorly built car!!!

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2008

"I bought this Altima new and it has been in the shop 12 time for several different reasons. This car looks good but is very poorly built. I bought the top of the line with everything on it. The paint is thin and had several chips on it the first week I drove it. The construction of the car is a poor as it can be. I have had problems from the engine to the sun roof to the instrument panel to the trim falling off and the air condition going out. That is just a few of the issues I have had. Before you buy this car just feel how flemsy the handles and knobs are. Nissan made this look good but built it very prooly. You can not even compare this to the Maxima. Do not waste your money on this car. You will be very disappointed!"

By on Sunday, May 18, 2008

"An excellent buy for its price. Has been one of the most dependable vehicles I have owned. Great gas mileage constantly in the 30-33 MPG range on the highway. Would definately consider another. Have had no problems. have , ve"

Power Loss and burning oil! :(

By on Saturday, May 17, 2008

"I'm sad to say that I am yet another sad 02 Nissan Altima owner that loves her car but is experiencing the mysterious jerking power loss and a really bad oil loss. I had an oil change 2000 miles ago and discovered that I needed to add 4 quarts of oil to my car already! Dealer wants to charge me up to $2500 just to tell me why my oil is disappearing. Not including what it may cost me to fix it. There is not one drop on my driveway which means it’s burning it, this is not good at all!!!! Very very very sad, because everything else about this car is great!."

Do not buy this car used!

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"I purchased this car brand new and loved it until it started burning a quart of oil every 300 miles although the car is not leaking oil in any way. Out of the blue at 140K miles, the engine rings are shot and it would require a $4500 engine replacement to fix this problem. I was told by my dealership that this problem is unique to the 2002 Nissan Altima and that no other vehicle in the line has had this problem. We are now looking to purchase a Honda. The result of this major problem with the Nissan engine is a huge disappointment considering that we have done ALL scheduled maintainance and these are all highway miles and this car has been garaged. Bummer!"

Not bad at first

By on Monday, January 07, 2008

"I bought my '02 brand new with 15 miles on it. I had good luck the first couple of years, then things just started going wrong. The first thing that went wrong with this car is the starting issue. It could be 65 degrees outside and it won't start. I took it to the dealer since it was still under warranty, and they told me it's a common problem with this engine (2.5), and to just push the gas pedal half-way down to get it to start. This is still not a recall! I have this problem at least once every few weeks. Last year (2005) the heat wouldn't work unless the car was moving so if I was stuck in traffic, I froze. I live in Northern Kentucky and it gets COLD! It is a very comfortable ride. I loved my car the first few years, I've been looking into getting a new car, not another altima."

Good Value - Poor Paint Job

By on Tuesday, December 04, 2007

"I picked the 2.5S 5spd up new for 15k with a couple of scratches from Hurricane Wilma. Comfortable ride with decent pick up for this size car and 4cyl. Tires are horrible and I didn't realize until I almost rearended somebody in the rain that the $21k (MSRP) car doesn't come with standard ABS! Paint chips easily so my Altima has lotsa scratches and bugbites. Overall great transportation decent gas mileage 22/24 when moving it quickly"

Good Car!

By on Sunday, October 21, 2007

"I have a 2006 SE Altima, which this car has been extremely dependable @ 24k miles without a mechanical problem. On the other hand, the paint and interior has not. I just got my hood and doors repaired because of all the rock chips and door dings. I know that this is normal wear and tear issues but it just seem to chip and dent too easily. This car is awesome on smooth road, but horrible on bumpy roads w/ the 17in alloys and sport tuned suspension. I love the engine and transmission they work perfectly together (with premium gas). When compared to all of my other vehicles that I have owned (Dodge Stratus 04, Pontiac Grand AM 02, and Chevy Lumina 99) this one is by far the best and the engine is the most powerful, quickest, quietest and reliable. I’m only 24 yrs old so I have not had a lot of auto experience but Nissan is the best I’ve experienced so far I know that Nissan has built a strong V6 engine and it shows because it’s extremely fun to drive but this model has a few fit and finish issues that can not be looked over. I would definitely get another Nissan. I just think that it is built to last for a few years, and then you must upgrade."

bad engine

By on Wednesday, September 05, 2007

"I have had two engines, a radiator and a long list of other smaller car parts that have been replaced. Nissan only helps you with all of these until 60,000 miles and then your on your own and broke!!!!!"

2005 SE-R

By on Tuesday, August 14, 2007

"I love this car!!! I bought it off the lot in 2005 with 300 miles on it. It has 39K now. I have always maintained my equity in the vehicle. Leather interior still looks new. I love the BOSE sound system. I crave nothing more than to get an on-ramp all to myself. The thing flies onto the highway. Just two complaints, road noise and rattles. The rattles are not bad, just annoying. I went through the first set of tires in a little over a year. I've been in the second set about 9 mos and the road noise is frustrating but the tread is still good so I'll live with it. It is to be expected with low profile tires. Speaking of, we put summer only tires on it last Nov, because we only get a few days of snow in KC right? WRONG! We had snow on the ground for a month last winter but it still handled like a dream as long as you didn't press on the gas. It stuck to the road and plowed through the snow. Gas milage is about 26 mpg commuting and 23 commuting during construction season. Thats not indicitive of the car, just my driving style. The first car I owned was a 4 cyl Ford. It was a good, reliable, inexpensive car for college. But the SE-R is more my style."

3.5SE Manual

By on Friday, July 27, 2007

"I have the 3.5L 5spd. Its very fast. Just when you think you will get bored from it, push the throttle down a little more. The sound system in the basic sound package is very good. If you want to upgrade it is easier than upgrading the bose system. The bose is more complicated. I recommend getting the SE over the SL because of the bigger rims and lighter car. I have had no mechanical problems with this car. The clutch is a little sensitive but makes you a perfect driver of any other manual car. The controls on the steering wheel are so convenitent. It makes you want to use the cruse control which you can activate and set in one second or less. There is a lot of torque steer only on heavy acceleration, but once you get used to it its controlable."

2005 3.5 SE

By on Friday, July 27, 2007

"Very nice car! It has great pick up, handles great and the ride is smooth, a little road noise pending on what tires are with the vehicle. We bought our car in late 2004 but it is a 2005, the quality of this car is sound. I would recommend this car to my friends."

Great Car!

By on Sunday, July 15, 2007

"This is a great car I have not had any problems. I would highly recommend this car to anyone."

Buy One!

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"This thing is a roadtrip warrior! I actually look forward to taking long trips in it. One Review claims, "the gas mileage leaves something to be desired," and that could be true if you are used to getting 40 or 50 mpg! I have driven from Phoenix to Albuquerque on one tank of gas and from California to Phoenix on one tank of gas. Granted it has a big tank, but if you are looking for better mileage than that, you had better buy a hybrid. I easily get 30 mpg average (in town and freeway avg). Not to mention for the size of this car, the 2.5L 4 banger really gets you moving! I have never been frustrated with the performance of my altima. It has over 70k miles and all I do is regular servicing. Nothing has gone wrong! Great car! Will buy another! (probably a 6 cyl though)"

Uncomfortable Seats - Low rev Torque

By on Tuesday, July 10, 2007

"The front two seats are not comfortable no chance sleeping in them on road trips. The back seats are roomy and comfortable!! The car has extreme torque at the low range so easing into the accellerator took a little getting used to (0-40 is fasttttt). I've never used premium gas and I get about 21 city/29 highway. The styling gets major Kudos on the 3.5 w/ alloy wheels. This car depreciates fairly quickly so I bought it 2 years old for a steal. Since I don't plan on selling it I got a lot of car for the money. The quality of the interior doesn't look like it will retain it's "luster" for more than 3-5 years but I don't mind. I'm just now replacing the tires at 40k. If you keep them at 40-50 psi they last a LOT longer people!!!!"

Safe, reliable, cool look

By on Sunday, July 08, 2007

"Highly recommend Altima! Have had 2, and will buy another without hesitation. Right now we have a 2003 one. My wife had an accident a while back in it ---- somebody dropped a large package on the highway, she tried to steer clear but lost control, and the car hit the highway partition wall. Though the swirl before the impact lowered her speed from the 60 mph or so that she was doing, her estimate was that she hit the wall at around 40 mph. She was wear the seatbelt, the front airbags deployed and she walked away just a little bruise on her arms (from the deploying airbag). It's spacious --- more generous cabin space than most mid-size cars. 3 grown-ups can sit very comfortably in the back. And the trunk is huge."

I love this car

By on Wednesday, August 12, 2015

"I wanna thanks Nissan for making this cars for the people. I have A 2006 ALTIMA and i love it. You are going to be agree with me whenever you get you own one. It feels great when you are driving a 4 cylinders Sedan car with so much confidence and power in your hands, no matter where you are going you will have fun, it will give you good gas mileage, specially if you get the manual transmission. Friends just test drive one and find out more about this cars I am glad i choose this Altima. Thanks"

This is a very good and dependable car.

By on Saturday, February 28, 2015

Pros: "good condition"

Cons: "few light scratches"

"Good driving vehicle"

Good reliable economic car

By on Friday, September 27, 2013

"ANOYING DRONE FROM REAR OF VEHICLE WHILE DRIVING."

Unstoppable. Over 200,000 miles and still going.

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pros: "dependability, power, & comfort. 26 avg mpg"

Cons: "a little road noise, but not much."

"The 3.5 6 cyl engine makes the difference. What a great car!"

I Still Love Driving It

By on Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pros: "Spacious, Quick, Solid MPG"

Cons: "NONE"

"I bought my 2002 3.5 Altima when it was just a baby on the new car lot. I absolutely loved it from the 1st test drive. Here I am 10 years later and I am still loving this car. No mechanical issues, handles well and still very quick. Accelerates like a sports car, but transports 4 adults in comfort. i will be driving this car for as long as she will roll."

Great overall value...lots of power!

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "Power to weight ratio, styling"

Cons: "Interior noise"

"Loved this car from day one and has been extremely reliable over the past 11 years. The car gets respectable mileage even with the 3.5 liter engine. If I have one complaint it is road noise. Nissan could have done a better job of soundproofing the interior. I would have gladly paid more for the car."

Fun to drive, big trunk, good rear seat leg room

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, best sports car value, decent gas mi"

Cons: "its not an 8 cyl... low to ground will drag bottom"

"Sporty, fun to drive, big trunk ( i can get 4 sets of golf clubs in the trunk - no problem), good rear seat leg room, great combo of value, gas mileage, and performance. Its not the fastest or best mileage but it a great compromise for each."

This car is fun to drive. It's a "ROCKET"!

By on Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, fun, FAST"

Cons: "Poor wet weather handling"

"I have owned this car for nearly three years now, purchasing it with 48,000 miles on it. Currently, it has 70,000 miles. It has been very reliable. Other than gas and oil, all I've had done to it is new rear brakes (just recently. It's a blast to drive. This car is VERY QUICK! Deceivingly quick, in fact. Excellent power and power to weight ratio. With that come a few problems. Driving on wet roads took some practice to prevent front wheels from constantly slipping out. This car does NOT do well in the snow - period. All in all, this is possibly the best car I've ever owned (I'm 54 and have owned 14 cars in my life)."