2001 Nissan Altima

Based on 483 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

This car has made me a Nissan Fan

By on Saturday, February 09, 2013

Pros: "reliability, easy to maintain, abundant parts"

Cons: "No leather interior, no power seats,"

"I purchased this car back new in 1997. It has almost 200,000 mile and not one major mechanical problem. I loved it so much that I have since bought a 2005, and a 2011 Altima. My other Nissan's have also been trouble free as well. I love this car so much I am currently making plans to refurbish it to the factory condition so that I can drive it for another 16 years."

GOOD CAR

By on Friday, February 01, 2013

"IVE PUT A TON OF MILES ON MY 1998 ALTIMA AND IT ALWAYS A VERY RELIABLE CAR.HAVING SOME ISSUES NOW BECAUSE OF ALL THE MILES."

Decent Car

By on Tuesday, January 29, 2013

"It was a good car, reliable once I fixed what was wrong."

I drive this vehicle 100 miles daily.

By on Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pros: "very reliable car"

Cons: "seats are to low for taller drivers"

"This vehicle currently has 177,000 miles and still running excellent. Everything is still stock / original and works including the cold a/c. I will continue to drive it until the engine will not work anymore. i would love to buy a 2013 altima and keep it as long as my 1999 Altima."

Best Used Vehicle For The Money

By on Thursday, December 13, 2012

Pros: "Great price, great gas mileage, Nice Looking Car!"

Cons: "Seats Are Kinda uncomfortable."

1999 Nissan Altima

"I have had this car for little over 4 1/2 months, And I love the gas mileage I receive with this car."

1999 Nissan Altima

My Trooper

By on Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, Great for road trips, Great gas milage"

"My mom initially purchased the car in 2001, when it has 20,000 miles. I received it in 2006 upon entering college. I first lived in TN, drove everwhere(like college students do), and I moved to NC and it has held up great. Keeping the maintenance up it drives like a champ! I love my Altima I hope to keep it another 218,000 miles."

Great reliable car runs like a top.

By on Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pros: "VERY RELIABLE HUGE VALUE"

Cons: "NOT MANY FRILLS BUT IT MAKES UP FOR IT."

"This car rode like a dream the engine ran great the gas mileage was awesome. All it asked of me was basic maintanence and it responded great to all repairs i made. it only asked me for 1 major repair in its life time a head gasket that's it! and it ran like new after the repair. Not many frills but i didn't need them i just wanted reliability and i got it in spades. The only thing that could kill this car was Hurricane Sandy, a flood, and i bet if i tried i could've started it. i leased a ford focus out of desperation all i can say is that i miss my altima. ford focus is dismal compared to the altima and it's a 2013. I'll never get anything but a japanese car for as long as i live. R.I.P. MY 2001 ALTIMA I LOVED YOU!"

reliable with regular maintence

By on Monday, October 15, 2012

Pros: "reliability, sleek styling from the late 90's"

Cons: "mediocre gas mileage, fair at best brakes"

"I have owned this 2001 Altima since new and currently have 149 k miles on it. It probably has been the most reliable car that I have owned, with reasonable amount of repairs. Cuurently in good running condition and drives about 90 % of what it did as a new car. A number of parts and repairs over the years: Power window switch, several sets of brakes, including rear drum brake cylinders, several times. Water pump, radiator cooling fans, radiator ( my fault), right side axle shaft, whole exhaust system, except cat convertors,one piece at a time. Both O2 sensors. Belts, hoses, axle spindle bearing, one side. Valve cover gasket, distributor caps, sparkplugs, wires,several batteries. The A/C still works, never serviced. Original Alternator and Starter. I have never had the infamous intake manifold leak problem many of the 99-2001 Altimas have had. ( knock on wood!)It is caused by a poorly designed routing of the EGR vavle. I have always used Premium or at least mid-grade gas and I think that is the reason. The higher octane gas burns at a cooler temp with a cooler EGR valve as a result. Accesibility for repairs on engine is not good on this car. That's the reason why an intake manifold replcement costs $700- $1000 for a $25 part. The engine used was a rear wheel drive pickup engine adapted for use as a transverse engine/ front wheel drive car in the 93-2001 Altimas. Also was used in the rear wheel drive 240 sx cars. Fuel mileage never great, 20-22 locally, 24 -27 highway. It is a tough engine design, mine uses almost no oil at all between 4000 mi changes. Timing chains and chain guide known to cause problems at higher miles. Still a good choice for basic transportation, even though they haven't made this model Altima for 11 years. Find an example that was well maintained and doesn't have super high miles on it and you may have wheels for a few more years."

Decent little car!

By on Monday, October 15, 2012

"Bought it used with around 65000 miles a year ago. Had to replace two mass air flow sensors. Other than that no problems and the car has great pickup for a 4 cylinder."

This car can take a hit!

By on Saturday, October 06, 2012

Pros: "Can take a hit like a champ and keep driving!"

Cons: "Its difficult to fix anything yourself"

"I got into two accidents with this vehicle and it has saved my life twice. First hit was a 60mph hit off a highway median. The only damage was front bumber fell off, back tire blew and a minor reverse transmission problem. The fatal hit was from the front end when someone ran a red light. This car was a beast and took both hits like a champ, with my only injury being from hitting my head on the drivers side window. Nissan outdid themselves with the collision aspect of this vehicle. I am omw to purchase a new altima, as I am now very partial to this vehicle."

NOT WORTH IT

By on Saturday, September 29, 2012

Cons: "Broken: engine alternator x2, battery x2 belts etc"

"Though it may look nice, do not let that fool you. This car has cost my family more money than we could have ever imagined (a little under eleven times what we paid for it). The alternator has broken more than once, as well as the battery. A new engine immediately had to be replaced, as did my belts, and much more. Do not make a hasty decision and buy this vehicle."

Safe, wonderful car

By on Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pros: "reliable"

Cons: "Nothing fancy"

"I bought this car in 2001 -- it had 45,000 miles on it. I've had to replace a few things the last few years, but I weigh the cost of repairing vs the cost of buying a newer one, and I just take it in to the mechanics who have been servicing my car since I bought it. And I'm so glad, because I feel so safe driving this car. I drive back and forth to the bay area (I'm in southern California) every two or three months -- on one tank of gas."

dependable, runs like a new car

By on Friday, September 21, 2012

Pros: "good price, reliable , great gas mileage"

"best car i've ever owned"

Best car I ever owned

By on Monday, August 27, 2012

"300K trouble free miles and still running great! If not for the New England winters and resulting rust I would keep it forever. Can't wait to buy another Altima."

Very nice cart

By on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

"I bought this GXE model basically new (was a demo)in 2001 and it has been a FANTASTIC car ! Whitey, as my 9 year old and I affectionately call it, has never left me stranded in 11 years. I have had to replace general parts from wear, but nothing major. This is my 2nd Altima, I bought my 1st one brand new and another driver ran a red light and hit my wife and I broad side. It took the impact with great protection to us, but totalled the car. My wife and I were fine except she got a cut on the top of her head somehow, but not too bad. The other vehicle was an older model Chevy Suburban which is like a tank, going around 45 to 50 mph ! My Altima took a severe impact right in the drivers side door. I was amazed at how strong and protective that little car was and thank God and Jesus for it's protection and Theirs more !! GREAT cars; hats off to Nisssan !"

it is great

By on Thursday, June 07, 2012

"the only bad thing is that every four years the voltage reguator gose bad"

Get one if you can!

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "great value!"

Cons: "I cant buy another just like it!"

Great Car-Great Price

"I bought this car with 150,000 miles on it. Perfect interior, dents down the driver side front and rear door but that's all. Mechanically perfect, never have done any work to it. Frequent oil changes to keep it running smooth and lots of love this car has been so good to me!It now has 260,000 and still runs like a champ! Awesome car! Negative: the seat starts to hurt my bottom after long car rides, and the leather seats can burn in the summer or freeze you in the winter"

Great Car-Great Price

Questionable Reliability

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

"I've had this car for 11 years. Bought it with 58,000 miles on it. It has questionable reliability. I've had new front brakes 3 times, back-1 time (city driving), new tires, water pump, radiator, alternator, shocks/struts, new dashboard dimer switch (I lost all my lights on my dashboard), new on/off switch for air/heat (it would only work on high) and a new air conditioner. The driver side window is the only window that works and the back, passenger side door lock does not automatically lock. Oil has been changed every 3-3.5K and has received a tune up. The car made it from Chicago to Boston without a problem. All this being said, I still really love this car as it feels very solid on the road.....and probably because it feels so familiar after sitting in it for 11 years."

BEST CAR EVER!!

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"absolute tank. out of the 12 i have owned this vehicle, only 2 sets of brakes and 2 sets of tires. THATS IT!!"

First Car\

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Cons: "inside color"

"This is my first car and has been easy to fix and extremely easy to mainttain. I love my car and although it is small it still fits everything i need even when i move around."

Excellent car, very reliable!

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Reason: I moved to Chicago, and started using public transport as my primary means of transportation.

Pros: "Reliable, roomy, great trunk space, and affordable"

Cons: "It rides a little low to ground for hillier cities"

"I had this car for almost 8 years, and I recently sold it because I am moving away. This car worked through thick or thin, and always got me where I needed to go."

very good value and reliability

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "reliable, economical, good fuel economy"

Cons: "road noise, comfort, not a bmw"

"For the money, I couldn't have done better in its class. This car was thousands cheaper than comparable honda or toyota models and I've only had minor routine maintenance costs. I've owned the car since 20K and have about 150K now on it - I've replaced the alternator, the tires, shocks/struts, given it one tune up, and changed the oil about every 5K miles. it doesn't leak any fluids. It's fairly comfortable. road noise is average or higher slightly. fuel economy is about 30 mpg avg (still). I've taken winter and off road conditions in this car. and I've never been stranded in it....I'd rather be driving a 7 series BMW, or a BSA...but...."

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

"I have had this car for five years now, and I have to say it is a great vehicle. I used this car to deliver pizza's for three years, which is very high stress driving for a vehicle. And my Nissan never gave me a single problem because of it. Other than normal maintenance I never had to drop a dime in this car."

very good vehicle

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pros: "Very confortable car for it's size."

"This is a very dependable,good driving vehicleGood and still gets 20 plus mile to the gallon."

Reliable and very cheap

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, easy and cheap maintenance"

Cons: "This is not a fun car, is only reliable!"

"This is a great car if you are looking for a dependable and easy to maintain vehicle. No major problems after 130K miles, still gives me good mileage (28MPG)"