2000 Nissan Altima

Based on 471 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

Love my Nissan!

By on Sunday, December 22, 2013

"I bought my Nissan as a 1st car about 6 moths ago, and I couldn't be happier. Being 6 foot 3, I was a little worried about leg room, but my car is very spacious. Living in Utah, we get fairly bad weather, and my Altima does great! She goes up icy hills with ease. The only things I dont like is the turning. (I'm really good at 3 point turns now.) and the fact that it has an automatic antenna. I think its pointless, my motor went out. But my car runs great, and I couldn't love it more."

Very reliable, good gas mileage, good handling

By on Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, affordable, fun to drive!"

Cons: "Bad window regulators, manifold gasket."

"Have owned this car for 6 years. Purchased it with 80k, now has 160000k. I'm a retired auto mechanic so I do most of my own maintenance. Engine has plenty of pep and it handles very well for a 4 door sedan! Interior very roomy and comfortable. Doesn't use any oil yet, although I change mine every 3000 miles. I've yet to do anything to the brakes. A few negatives: Front bumper will scrape and rub on even the smallest curb! I must remember this when ever I park. Had to replace the drivers door window motor/regulator due to cheap plastic gears. Just replaced both front door speakers (I like playing Fleetwood Mac LOUD!) My biggest repair has been the engine intake manifold gasket. An internet search reveals this to be a common fault of the 2.4 liter 4 cyl engine. After pulling the manifold off the engine and checking it with a straight edge, I found it to have a 0.003 warp. Had it resurfaced at a machine shop and reassembled. Now runs fine. Possible design flaw from the factory? Otherwise, this has been a very reliable car. One of the best I've owned. Speaking as a mechanic, I would not hesitate to recommend this car to any of my friends."

Great deal, love this car

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "reliable, inexpensive, great gas mileage and range"

Cons: "not so pretty"

"I bought this car when my truck died and that truck was my favorite vehicle I had ever owned, so I had high standards. The car I had bought had been in an accident so the AC doesn't work, the controls for the passenger window don't work, the two front tires were bald, the back tires were dry rotted the windshield sprayers don't work and there is a problem with the fuel level sensor. However the paint was in good shape, it ran great, it was a manual, the seats were comfortable, the electronics all work (except the window controls in the passenger seat), and it got great gas mileage. Best part was that I only paid 1200$ for it. I've put a ton of miles on this car since I've owned it, and at first I didn't care for it much, its really grown on me. Because its not anything super fancy, I don't feel bad if I put a sticker on it, or a bump a curb, or don't wash it, or get a ding in it. But it starts every day, and gets me where I need to go in comfort. Other than tires and oil changes I haven't had to do any maintenance on it for the 30,000 miles I have put on it. I just reset the odometer whenever I fill up and because of the great fuel mileage and it has a 15.9!!! gallon tank, it easily goes 450 miles to a fill up. It also feels solid and well built when inside. It doesn't feel cheap when you are driving it either. Its not the most beautiful car I've ever owned but it has been one of the most reliable, pleasant to drive, and carefree."

Ok, I guess

By on Sunday, August 25, 2013

Pros: "Heats works well, decent handling, ok style"

Cons: "Needs too many repairs, simple things not working"

"I bought this car used in September of 2009 with 82k miles on it for just under $5000. The tires were practically bald and one tail light needed replaced, but those were easy enough fixes. I'm 6'2" and I just fit in the driver's seat, so it was plenty roomy. One of the big reasons I got it was because of the CD player and air conditioning. Unfortunately the A/C belt snapped less than a year later; now you have to blast the heat to get the front window to defog on rainy days, even in the summer. The CD player won't play CDs anymore; nor does the light on it work. You have to push the corner of the LCD screen to change any radio station, otherwise the buttons won't work. I've put about $2500 worth of work into it; (not the A/C however) and now the dash light goes out if it's early in the morning, the muffler is going bad, and the check engine light is always on (until I take it in to get the oil changed, then the light always goes off the day before). While the seats do fold down, you can't fit a ton of stuff in the trunk. I do like that there are cup holders in the back seat though. I would only recommend this to someone whose teenager is going away to a small college town and won't be driving it home every weekend. I wish it was more reliable and didn't need quite so many little repairs."

Great buy!

By on Monday, June 24, 2013

Pros: "Price was great, roomy, and good on long trips"

Cons: "front end too low for curbs and gets stuck!"

"This car had some problems with the front and rear window gears for raising and lowering the windows because it was the first year for using plastic teeth for the gears--not a smart design choice. When I bought it from Brown's Nissan in VA it came with dry rotted tires--I bought it new! This was not a manufacturing fault! It has been sitting, town and traffic driving and long distance driving. It always starts up and responds well. It got its first replacement set of brakes at 10 yrs. old. It always gets 27-30 mpg and lately with an additive 30 regularly. Lots of pick up and go--passing great and on hills up and down wonderful. It is loaded with trunk items and dogs for long distances and still great mileage. I go at least the speed limit--70+ in WV! Love it and do not want to sell it but my kid needs it. Would buy another if I knew they were made as well and were a hybrid!!!!"

Cons: "Dashboard reflection in windshield. Needs cover."

"Bought new to drive around city. The only major expense was changing original tires at 14,000 miles because of their noise and poor handling characterstics. I service every 7,500 miles and still enjoy driving car around town. The body has parking lot dings but the leather interior is still like new."

Cons: "Dashboard reflection in windshield. Needs cover."

"Bought new to drive around city. The only major expense was changing original Goodyear tires at 14,000 miles because of their noise and poor handling characterstics. I service every 7,500 miles and still enjoy driving car around town. The body has parking lot dings but the leather interior is still like new."

Cons: "Dashboard reflection in windshield. Needs cover."

"Bought new to drive around city. The only major expense was changing original Goodyear tires at 14,000 miles because of their noise and poor handling characterstics. I service every 7,500 miles and still enjoy driving car around town. The body has parking lot dings but the leather interior is still like new. I recently checked out the new Altima but the CVT transmission turned me off."

Loved My Car

By on Monday, May 06, 2013

Pros: "reliable. comfortable."

Cons: "Cons? It was perfect."

"I got 218,000 miles out of this car. Loved it. It had normal regular maintenance. I am trading it in because it needs a manafold and an axel for about $900. Time to move on."

Fun to drive, gas mileage

By on Monday, May 06, 2013

Pros: "great value, gas mileage, standard"

Cons: "reversed"

"Fun to drive and 5 speed is just a blast. It picks up very quick. No problems in gearing or steering except for reverse seems to be difficult to change into. ( I think its something to do with the safety feature so you don't shift to reverse on accident.) Great car overall im getting 32 mpg"

Ol' Reliable.

By on Saturday, April 06, 2013

Pros: "reliable, low maintenance, good quality"

Cons: "not a powerhouse, gas mileage not impressive"

"I obtained the Altima 4 years ago, from my mother who bought it used in 2003... After spending most of my adolescence in the backseat of this car, I wasn't sure how it would feel to be driving the second-hand family-mobile around as my daily driver. I moved from a '97 Jetta to this '01 Altima, and in my mind it was gonna be tough competition. It grew on me quickly; mostly due to the fact that this car is literally the most durable car I've ever been in. It is next to no maintenance, aside from your usual routine oil changes, et cetera. At 175k, I finally had to replace my factory clutch-- exceeding more than twice the expected use of a clutch. I've put hard mileage on this car in the short time I've owned it, sometimes driving a couple thousand miles a week (keep in mind, I got this around 140k). I've had to drive it on what was practically vapors and fumes and made it over 20 miles on E. You name it, my car has probably been through it. My complaints with this car are few in number. The only problem I really ever had were squealing belts that continued well past replacement, but it never bothered me so much as offended my neighborhood a little. My car has been named the Squealing Baron for the whole of the time I've owned it anyway. My wipers have given me trouble before, the driver's side arm disconnected itself from the bushing and it got to the point that I had to take off the panel and arms to replace it a couple times a month. I did buy new replacement OEM bushings, but never got around to fixing it myself, so it may have just been old age. My electricity bugged out a little, dash lights had issues illuminating at night for awhile, but it seemed to correct itself (guessing the wiring settled in the right place again). My check engine light came on pretty regularly as well, but it wasn't anything important (always checked it), usually having to do with my not screwing the gas cap tight enough and it hanging awhile. The mileage was meh and the car is a little sluggish, but for what it was worth, it was fun on a stick and it got the job done. My alternator and head-gasket finally came to a very anti-climactic end the other night, so I'm very sad to see it go. I'm renting a '13 Alt, and I'm still thinking back to my '01 if that means anything... I would recommend this car to anyone who's looking for a good first car, a reliable commuter, or something inexpensive and low-maintenance to last them a few years."

Best Car

By on Tuesday, March 26, 2013

"Awesome car.....loves my car a lot..High reliability with very low maintenance"

Sorry to see her go.

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pros: "Durable, reliable, only minor repair issues"

Cons: "So-so gas mileage, could use more giddy up"

"I bought a 1998 Altima SE with manual transmission brand new. It was a wonderful car. I think I could have gotten another 100,000 miles or more out of my Nissan, but a parking light pole recently fell on my car and crushed it. In 15 years I never had a major repair issue with the car. Although I only changed the oil every 5,000 miles, the engine still ran like a dream. My biggest disappointment was I only got around 25 mph to the gallon. The car also could have used more power as it struggled going up steep hills. After a decade and a half of faithful service the car did begin showing its age. The bass on the speakers blew. There were some areas rusting above and below the car. The leather seats were cracking. The trunk open latch on the floor of the car stopped working. The heating and air conditioning were not performing as well as they once did. Overall, I would not hesitate purchasing another Altima."

This car has made me a Nissan Fan

By on Saturday, February 09, 2013

Pros: "reliability, easy to maintain, abundant parts"

Cons: "No leather interior, no power seats,"

"I purchased this car back new in 1997. It has almost 200,000 mile and not one major mechanical problem. I loved it so much that I have since bought a 2005, and a 2011 Altima. My other Nissan's have also been trouble free as well. I love this car so much I am currently making plans to refurbish it to the factory condition so that I can drive it for another 16 years."

GOOD CAR

By on Friday, February 01, 2013

"IVE PUT A TON OF MILES ON MY 1998 ALTIMA AND IT ALWAYS A VERY RELIABLE CAR.HAVING SOME ISSUES NOW BECAUSE OF ALL THE MILES."

Decent Car

By on Tuesday, January 29, 2013

"It was a good car, reliable once I fixed what was wrong."

I drive this vehicle 100 miles daily.

By on Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pros: "very reliable car"

Cons: "seats are to low for taller drivers"

"This vehicle currently has 177,000 miles and still running excellent. Everything is still stock / original and works including the cold a/c. I will continue to drive it until the engine will not work anymore. i would love to buy a 2013 altima and keep it as long as my 1999 Altima."

Best Used Vehicle For The Money

By on Thursday, December 13, 2012

Pros: "Great price, great gas mileage, Nice Looking Car!"

Cons: "Seats Are Kinda uncomfortable."

1999 Nissan Altima

"I have had this car for little over 4 1/2 months, And I love the gas mileage I receive with this car."

1999 Nissan Altima

My Trooper

By on Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, Great for road trips, Great gas milage"

"My mom initially purchased the car in 2001, when it has 20,000 miles. I received it in 2006 upon entering college. I first lived in TN, drove everwhere(like college students do), and I moved to NC and it has held up great. Keeping the maintenance up it drives like a champ! I love my Altima I hope to keep it another 218,000 miles."

Great reliable car runs like a top.

By on Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pros: "VERY RELIABLE HUGE VALUE"

Cons: "NOT MANY FRILLS BUT IT MAKES UP FOR IT."

"This car rode like a dream the engine ran great the gas mileage was awesome. All it asked of me was basic maintanence and it responded great to all repairs i made. it only asked me for 1 major repair in its life time a head gasket that's it! and it ran like new after the repair. Not many frills but i didn't need them i just wanted reliability and i got it in spades. The only thing that could kill this car was Hurricane Sandy, a flood, and i bet if i tried i could've started it. i leased a ford focus out of desperation all i can say is that i miss my altima. ford focus is dismal compared to the altima and it's a 2013. I'll never get anything but a japanese car for as long as i live. R.I.P. MY 2001 ALTIMA I LOVED YOU!"

reliable with regular maintence

By on Monday, October 15, 2012

Pros: "reliability, sleek styling from the late 90's"

Cons: "mediocre gas mileage, fair at best brakes"

"I have owned this 2001 Altima since new and currently have 149 k miles on it. It probably has been the most reliable car that I have owned, with reasonable amount of repairs. Cuurently in good running condition and drives about 90 % of what it did as a new car. A number of parts and repairs over the years: Power window switch, several sets of brakes, including rear drum brake cylinders, several times. Water pump, radiator cooling fans, radiator ( my fault), right side axle shaft, whole exhaust system, except cat convertors,one piece at a time. Both O2 sensors. Belts, hoses, axle spindle bearing, one side. Valve cover gasket, distributor caps, sparkplugs, wires,several batteries. The A/C still works, never serviced. Original Alternator and Starter. I have never had the infamous intake manifold leak problem many of the 99-2001 Altimas have had. ( knock on wood!)It is caused by a poorly designed routing of the EGR vavle. I have always used Premium or at least mid-grade gas and I think that is the reason. The higher octane gas burns at a cooler temp with a cooler EGR valve as a result. Accesibility for repairs on engine is not good on this car. That's the reason why an intake manifold replcement costs $700- $1000 for a $25 part. The engine used was a rear wheel drive pickup engine adapted for use as a transverse engine/ front wheel drive car in the 93-2001 Altimas. Also was used in the rear wheel drive 240 sx cars. Fuel mileage never great, 20-22 locally, 24 -27 highway. It is a tough engine design, mine uses almost no oil at all between 4000 mi changes. Timing chains and chain guide known to cause problems at higher miles. Still a good choice for basic transportation, even though they haven't made this model Altima for 11 years. Find an example that was well maintained and doesn't have super high miles on it and you may have wheels for a few more years."

Decent little car!

By on Monday, October 15, 2012

"Bought it used with around 65000 miles a year ago. Had to replace two mass air flow sensors. Other than that no problems and the car has great pickup for a 4 cylinder."

This car can take a hit!

By on Saturday, October 06, 2012

Pros: "Can take a hit like a champ and keep driving!"

Cons: "Its difficult to fix anything yourself"

"I got into two accidents with this vehicle and it has saved my life twice. First hit was a 60mph hit off a highway median. The only damage was front bumber fell off, back tire blew and a minor reverse transmission problem. The fatal hit was from the front end when someone ran a red light. This car was a beast and took both hits like a champ, with my only injury being from hitting my head on the drivers side window. Nissan outdid themselves with the collision aspect of this vehicle. I am omw to purchase a new altima, as I am now very partial to this vehicle."

NOT WORTH IT

By on Saturday, September 29, 2012

Cons: "Broken: engine alternator x2, battery x2 belts etc"

"Though it may look nice, do not let that fool you. This car has cost my family more money than we could have ever imagined (a little under eleven times what we paid for it). The alternator has broken more than once, as well as the battery. A new engine immediately had to be replaced, as did my belts, and much more. Do not make a hasty decision and buy this vehicle."

Safe, wonderful car

By on Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pros: "reliable"

Cons: "Nothing fancy"

"I bought this car in 2001 -- it had 45,000 miles on it. I've had to replace a few things the last few years, but I weigh the cost of repairing vs the cost of buying a newer one, and I just take it in to the mechanics who have been servicing my car since I bought it. And I'm so glad, because I feel so safe driving this car. I drive back and forth to the bay area (I'm in southern California) every two or three months -- on one tank of gas."