2000 Nissan Altima

Based on 474 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

Almost at 300,000 and still Running!

By on Monday, April 21, 2014

Pros: "Roomy, good running car"

Cons: "Depending on climate, parts replaced more often"

"I have a 98 Nissan Altima GXE. The first owner purchased brand new and took very good car of it (regular maintenance and all). They drove a lot of miles so I had a concern, but spoke to a family mechanic and he told me Nissan Altima's have good engines and my car probably could go to 300,000. I purchased it in 2001 and have had it ever since, its currently at 284,000. I keep the car maintained and have not had major problems. Of course I have had to replace raditors, control arms, etc., but car does not have timing belt so no worry about that. The engine still sounds good and air conditioning and moon roof are original. People have told me that the air conditioner is the first to go on these cars but I have not had any problems. I consistently got my oil changed every 3,000 miles. Sometimes I use synthetic oil sometimes I don't. I think the key is regular oil changes. The only negative are the CV boots. I have driven the car in Florida and Arizona. While living in Arizona the CV boots and Alternator went out sooner than expected (CV boots like 2 or 3 years, alternator about the same). While in Florida no problems with either so I think it has a lot to do with the harsh summers in Arizona. Take care of this car and it will keep running. I plan to sell it soon because I want a newer car and updated features."

285000 And STILL GOING

By on Sunday, April 20, 2014

"It's not fancy and doesn't look as good as once did but it keeps going even for someone hard on their vehicles, 285,000 with basic maintenance really says it all"

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

"The front bumper is only six inches off the ground and it get stuck and damage on parking curbs. I have had a Nissan from my first Datsun B-210 but now I am getting a Toyota Camry (Clearwater Blue) because the colors that Nissan offer are so bland and Yukkie."

215,000 MILES GOING STRONG

By on Saturday, April 05, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, good gas mileage, cheap maint, stereo"

Cons: "cup holders too small, CD player got stuck"

"Love my '98 Altima GXE her name is Goldie because the paint is gold on outside. This car is very reliable last purchased brand new in 1998 now she has 215K miles just replaced a timing chain and gave her fresh tune up. It might not be the keenest car ever but a reliable car considered on how its maintained and keeping up all the service up to date maintenance. Still looks good on age it is and 4 cylinder is excellent giving me the most gas mileage out from it on 28 mpg with a 2.4L Gasoline motor. Drives like a new car its roomier with a bigger trunk only things I've done replacing were CD player was stuck so had replaced with aftermarket one, brake lines and calibers all done at 140K, sunroof broke at 117K, fixed at affordable price, timing chain replaced at 211K, struts/axles were replaced recently with current mileage. I will put another 250,000 miles on this car using high synthetic oil because odometer has 215K miles runs like a champ good acceleration and doesn't smoke or overheat living in desert area of town. LUV MY '98 ALTIMA after driving for 16 years never let me down hope can last at least 300,000 miles because truly a trustworthy car going anywhere."

BEST VEHICLE I had Owned in my life

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "The car has not down issues. TLC it & LOYAL return"

Cons: "None one at all. Super Vehicle, just care it well."

"Never left me down. Pre-Maintenance had been the secret. Engine, as it's today, am sure can make double plus mileages if keep maintenance as I had done ni. Have 3 of them.Certainly had been all of them top cars. Even You purhase a used one, and You are mechanicaly minded, amd sure, You'll be able to fix it at Your pocket budgat. Used always Premiun Gasoline. Top brand Syntect Oil 5-50W Lucas Aditives, Fuel and Oil. Great Mileages with A/C - Town 30 Avge. Travel 38/43 P-Gl. Walmart Tires, without change size, best for car weight. Oil Changes every 25.000 miles. Oil Filters every 7.000 miles between oil changes. Fuel filter, every 6 month. O'Ralleys Collant full strenght best one. Brakes every 60k miles average. Just keep details ahead of true maintenance. Got the car new in April 1998."

second worst vehicle of 50 + that I've owned

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "economy only redeeming quality"

Cons: "too many to list. Terrible in snow"

"wasn't too bad up to 100,000 miles but literally disintegrated after 100K. Replaced fuel injectors, valve cover gasket,spark plug seals, alternator. Mileage fell from 30 mpg to 23. It was never a power house, but it exhibited a major decline in performance after 100K."

Bought Used

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive love the sunroof"

"I bought this car used, and it has been great. It is fun to drive, and I enjoy it."

Not a big fan of Nissan

By on Sunday, March 16, 2014

Pros: "Looks good and handles well"

Cons: "Kind of cheaply built. Too many problems"

"This car has disappointed me. Thought it would be as good as Toyota and Honda, but it's not. Not very good gas mileage, 17-23 mpg. 4 cyl engine is to weak. Needs a V-6. I've had several minor but annoying motor problems. Don't plan on buying another Nissan of any kind."