2000 Nissan Altima

Based on 487 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

Very reliable, good gas mileage, good handling

By on Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, affordable, fun to drive!"

Cons: "Bad window regulators, manifold gasket."

"Have owned this car for 6 years. Purchased it with 80k, now has 160000k. I'm a retired auto mechanic so I do most of my own maintenance. Engine has plenty of pep and it handles very well for a 4 door sedan! Interior very roomy and comfortable. Doesn't use any oil yet, although I change mine every 3000 miles. I've yet to do anything to the brakes. A few negatives: Front bumper will scrape and rub on even the smallest curb! I must remember this when ever I park. Had to replace the drivers door window motor/regulator due to cheap plastic gears. Just replaced both front door speakers (I like playing Fleetwood Mac LOUD!) My biggest repair has been the engine intake manifold gasket. An internet search reveals this to be a common fault of the 2.4 liter 4 cyl engine. After pulling the manifold off the engine and checking it with a straight edge, I found it to have a 0.003 warp. Had it resurfaced at a machine shop and reassembled. Now runs fine. Possible design flaw from the factory? Otherwise, this has been a very reliable car. One of the best I've owned. Speaking as a mechanic, I would not hesitate to recommend this car to any of my friends."

Good Decision

By on Friday, January 04, 2008

"Purchased my '99 Altima GXE "NEW" (actually right off the delivery truck). I'm a "quality" fanatic, so, I stay on top of routine maintenance. While under "factory warrant" there were a few minor issues that needed to be corrected but were few and far between. I did purchase an extended service agreement (6 yr., 100K) at a cost of only $600.00 but rarely had to use it. Like some other posts, I would rate this car as "very good" (paid around $15,500.00) in April 1999. In summary, I would recommend this car to others...I like it so much that I bought my daughter a 1998 (used) SE in 2005 with 105K miles and to date, the only maintenance I have had to do is change oil (very 3K), rotate/balance tires, and last winter had to replace "thermostat" housing due to a "leak". Note, the "newer" Altima's 2002-06) appear to have many problems when researched on the web. Thus, I will stay with my '98 & '99 until which time I decide to trade-up."

Great car

By on Wednesday, July 01, 2009

"I bought my 1998 Altima GXE used with over 250k miles five years ago and its still running strong. I use it as a daily driver back and forth to work and it has never let me down. It only needs standard maintenance. I have 355k miles on it with the original clutch and I still get 30 mpg on the highway. Its just amazing - a truly great car."

God Almighty I'm going to miss this car.

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Pros: "Highly reliable, great engine perf and gas mileage"

"Bought at 160K miles in 2008 and it sputtered it's last today at 340K+ miles. Had to replace high mileage wear/tear engine parts over the last 2 years. When it died on the highway it was still getting 30+ mpg, great pick-up and engine performance and with a rebuilt A/C you could hang meat in the front seat. Great leg room in the front seats. Nissan made a great one with this model. If you find one in the 100K mile range, buy it before I do."

Great buy!

By on Monday, June 24, 2013

Pros: "Price was great, roomy, and good on long trips"

Cons: "front end too low for curbs and gets stuck!"

"This car had some problems with the front and rear window gears for raising and lowering the windows because it was the first year for using plastic teeth for the gears--not a smart design choice. When I bought it from Brown's Nissan in VA it came with dry rotted tires--I bought it new! This was not a manufacturing fault! It has been sitting, town and traffic driving and long distance driving. It always starts up and responds well. It got its first replacement set of brakes at 10 yrs. old. It always gets 27-30 mpg and lately with an additive 30 regularly. Lots of pick up and go--passing great and on hills up and down wonderful. It is loaded with trunk items and dogs for long distances and still great mileage. I go at least the speed limit--70+ in WV! Love it and do not want to sell it but my kid needs it. Would buy another if I knew they were made as well and were a hybrid!!!!"