2000 Nissan Altima

Based on 464 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Almost at 300,000 and still Running!

By on Monday, April 21, 2014

Pros: "Roomy, good running car"

Cons: "Depending on climate, parts replaced more often"

"I have a 98 Nissan Altima GXE. The first owner purchased brand new and took very good car of it (regular maintenance and all). They drove a lot of miles so I had a concern, but spoke to a family mechanic and he told me Nissan Altima's have good engines and my car probably could go to 300,000. I purchased it in 2001 and have had it ever since, its currently at 284,000. I keep the car maintained and have not had major problems. Of course I have had to replace raditors, control arms, etc., but car does not have timing belt so no worry about that. The engine still sounds good and air conditioning and moon roof are original. People have told me that the air conditioner is the first to go on these cars but I have not had any problems. I consistently got my oil changed every 3,000 miles. Sometimes I use synthetic oil sometimes I don't. I think the key is regular oil changes. The only negative are the CV boots. I have driven the car in Florida and Arizona. While living in Arizona the CV boots and Alternator went out sooner than expected (CV boots like 2 or 3 years, alternator about the same). While in Florida no problems with either so I think it has a lot to do with the harsh summers in Arizona. Take care of this car and it will keep running. I plan to sell it soon because I want a newer car and updated features."

285000 And STILL GOING

By on Sunday, April 20, 2014

"It's not fancy and doesn't look as good as once did but it keeps going even for someone hard on their vehicles, 285,000 with basic maintenance really says it all"

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

"The front bumper is only six inches off the ground and it get stuck and damage on parking curbs. I have had a Nissan from my first Datsun B-210 but now I am getting a Toyota Camry (Clearwater Blue) because the colors that Nissan offer are so bland and Yukkie."

215,000 MILES GOING STRONG

By on Saturday, April 05, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, good gas mileage, cheap maint, stereo"

Cons: "cup holders too small, CD player got stuck"

"Love my '98 Altima GXE her name is Goldie because the paint is gold on outside. This car is very reliable last purchased brand new in 1998 now she has 215K miles just replaced a timing chain and gave her fresh tune up. It might not be the keenest car ever but a reliable car considered on how its maintained and keeping up all the service up to date maintenance. Still looks good on age it is and 4 cylinder is excellent giving me the most gas mileage out from it on 28 mpg with a 2.4L Gasoline motor. Drives like a new car its roomier with a bigger trunk only things I've done replacing were CD player was stuck so had replaced with aftermarket one, brake lines and calibers all done at 140K, sunroof broke at 117K, fixed at affordable price, timing chain replaced at 211K, struts/axles were replaced recently with current mileage. I will put another 250,000 miles on this car using high synthetic oil because odometer has 215K miles runs like a champ good acceleration and doesn't smoke or overheat living in desert area of town. LUV MY '98 ALTIMA after driving for 16 years never let me down hope can last at least 300,000 miles because truly a trustworthy car going anywhere."

BEST VEHICLE I had Owned in my life

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "The car has not down issues. TLC it & LOYAL return"

Cons: "None one at all. Super Vehicle, just care it well."

"Never left me down. Pre-Maintenance had been the secret. Engine, as it's today, am sure can make double plus mileages if keep maintenance as I had done ni. Have 3 of them.Certainly had been all of them top cars. Even You purhase a used one, and You are mechanicaly minded, amd sure, You'll be able to fix it at Your pocket budgat. Used always Premiun Gasoline. Top brand Syntect Oil 5-50W Lucas Aditives, Fuel and Oil. Great Mileages with A/C - Town 30 Avge. Travel 38/43 P-Gl. Walmart Tires, without change size, best for car weight. Oil Changes every 25.000 miles. Oil Filters every 7.000 miles between oil changes. Fuel filter, every 6 month. O'Ralleys Collant full strenght best one. Brakes every 60k miles average. Just keep details ahead of true maintenance. Got the car new in April 1998."

second worst vehicle of 50 + that I've owned

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "economy only redeeming quality"

Cons: "too many to list. Terrible in snow"

"wasn't too bad up to 100,000 miles but literally disintegrated after 100K. Replaced fuel injectors, valve cover gasket,spark plug seals, alternator. Mileage fell from 30 mpg to 23. It was never a power house, but it exhibited a major decline in performance after 100K."

Bought Used

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive love the sunroof"

"I bought this car used, and it has been great. It is fun to drive, and I enjoy it."

Not a big fan of Nissan

By on Sunday, March 16, 2014

Pros: "Looks good and handles well"

Cons: "Kind of cheaply built. Too many problems"

"This car has disappointed me. Thought it would be as good as Toyota and Honda, but it's not. Not very good gas mileage, 17-23 mpg. 4 cyl engine is to weak. Needs a V-6. I've had several minor but annoying motor problems. Don't plan on buying another Nissan of any kind."

Still good for a lot of miles

By on Friday, March 07, 2014

Pros: "Great dependability and descent MPG"

Cons: "Roof and hood could use a new paint job."

"Could use new paint job, especially the roof. Front power windows won't work and haven't for a long time. Engine is in excellent shape and tires are almost brand new. A/C and heater are also in excellent condition. I would expect to get another 100,000 miles out of it if I were to keep it myself. No major dents, just the usual dings and scrapes seen on most cars. Still a very dependable car. Semi-retired and no longer in need of two vehicles, so am wanting to sell the older of my two cars."

would buy another one

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "comfortable and practical"

"I have owned this car for almost 11 years. Bought it used when it was 2 years old. At the time it was the "fanciest" car I ever owned, with the moonroof and multiple cd changer. I have loved this vehicle. Extremely reliable, comfortable, very good on gas. It was certainly worth every penny I paid for it and then some."

Great value for money

By on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, gas saver, great overall value for $."

Cons: "Interior and exterior design could be better."

My altima GLE (the work horse)

"This is a straight forward kinda car, how you treat it is how it'll treat you in return. I've had mine for seven years now and it has NEVER! NOT ONCE left me stranded. Super reliable, Super solid, it's looks won't get you noticed but with its lack of problems you won't care. Look at it like this... Less money spent fixing it leaves more money in YOUR pocket for other things. Two thumbs way up for this little car."

My altima GLE (the work horse)

super car

By on Friday, February 14, 2014

Pros: "reliabable and great great gas mileage"

"gas mileage is awesome. reliability also awesome. Bought my car in 99. Changed oil and brake pads regularly. Never had any problems with my car until this last year. but it is old. Time for a new ride. A good faithful sedan"

I have owned over 40 autos,this has been the best

By on Thursday, February 06, 2014

Pros: "good gas mileage,great drive for a tall driver"

Cons: "no cup holders, needs a little more horse power."

"Over all a great car,I have had this car for almost 15 years now,All repairs have been minor up to date."

best car I've ever owned

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pros: "top notch reliability and good fuel efficiency"

Cons: "not the best looking car"

"Bought used in 2006 with a about 50,000 miles & now has almost 160,000. Had to replace brakes about 3 times but that may be due to my husband's inefficient driving style. Just bought 2nd battery (Jan 2014) and only other major repair I just had done was alternator replaced & had a leak in radiator hose. Black leather interior has held up near perfectly. I'm keeping it as long as I can & it's worth far more than the $1,200 or so trade in value to me."

Reliable car

By on Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Reason: Wrecked

Pros: "Great value, easy maintainence, Reliable"

Cons: "Small engine"

"I really loved this car until the snow wrecked the car few days ago. I owned it last year with 195000 miles on it with hesitation but it has been a very good commuting car over the months. Got some pricey repairs on the brakes but mainly because of my faults. The car might not work on snow too well, at least for an inexperienced driver like me, I was driving on a poorly plowed road and it skidded like crazy.."

faithful companion

By on Saturday, December 28, 2013

"Buy my Nissan in 2000 and so far we have traveled thousands of miles between Georgia and Florida as a truck loaded. I loaded 4 people, a dog, two large televisions, tables, chairs, mattresses, not once, but several times, and not to complain, oil change, alignment, and nothing more!, fantastic car and is a strong truck, Nissan forever!"

Love my Nissan!

By on Sunday, December 22, 2013

"I bought my Nissan as a 1st car about 6 moths ago, and I couldn't be happier. Being 6 foot 3, I was a little worried about leg room, but my car is very spacious. Living in Utah, we get fairly bad weather, and my Altima does great! She goes up icy hills with ease. The only things I dont like is the turning. (I'm really good at 3 point turns now.) and the fact that it has an automatic antenna. I think its pointless, my motor went out. But my car runs great, and I couldn't love it more."

Very reliable, good gas mileage, good handling

By on Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, affordable, fun to drive!"

Cons: "Bad window regulators, manifold gasket."

"Have owned this car for 6 years. Purchased it with 80k, now has 160000k. I'm a retired auto mechanic so I do most of my own maintenance. Engine has plenty of pep and it handles very well for a 4 door sedan! Interior very roomy and comfortable. Doesn't use any oil yet, although I change mine every 3000 miles. I've yet to do anything to the brakes. A few negatives: Front bumper will scrape and rub on even the smallest curb! I must remember this when ever I park. Had to replace the drivers door window motor/regulator due to cheap plastic gears. Just replaced both front door speakers (I like playing Fleetwood Mac LOUD!) My biggest repair has been the engine intake manifold gasket. An internet search reveals this to be a common fault of the 2.4 liter 4 cyl engine. After pulling the manifold off the engine and checking it with a straight edge, I found it to have a 0.003 warp. Had it resurfaced at a machine shop and reassembled. Now runs fine. Possible design flaw from the factory? Otherwise, this has been a very reliable car. One of the best I've owned. Speaking as a mechanic, I would not hesitate to recommend this car to any of my friends."

Great deal, love this car

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "reliable, inexpensive, great gas mileage and range"

Cons: "not so pretty"

"I bought this car when my truck died and that truck was my favorite vehicle I had ever owned, so I had high standards. The car I had bought had been in an accident so the AC doesn't work, the controls for the passenger window don't work, the two front tires were bald, the back tires were dry rotted the windshield sprayers don't work and there is a problem with the fuel level sensor. However the paint was in good shape, it ran great, it was a manual, the seats were comfortable, the electronics all work (except the window controls in the passenger seat), and it got great gas mileage. Best part was that I only paid 1200$ for it. I've put a ton of miles on this car since I've owned it, and at first I didn't care for it much, its really grown on me. Because its not anything super fancy, I don't feel bad if I put a sticker on it, or a bump a curb, or don't wash it, or get a ding in it. But it starts every day, and gets me where I need to go in comfort. Other than tires and oil changes I haven't had to do any maintenance on it for the 30,000 miles I have put on it. I just reset the odometer whenever I fill up and because of the great fuel mileage and it has a 15.9!!! gallon tank, it easily goes 450 miles to a fill up. It also feels solid and well built when inside. It doesn't feel cheap when you are driving it either. Its not the most beautiful car I've ever owned but it has been one of the most reliable, pleasant to drive, and carefree."

Ok, I guess

By on Sunday, August 25, 2013

Pros: "Heats works well, decent handling, ok style"

Cons: "Needs too many repairs, simple things not working"

"I bought this car used in September of 2009 with 82k miles on it for just under $5000. The tires were practically bald and one tail light needed replaced, but those were easy enough fixes. I'm 6'2" and I just fit in the driver's seat, so it was plenty roomy. One of the big reasons I got it was because of the CD player and air conditioning. Unfortunately the A/C belt snapped less than a year later; now you have to blast the heat to get the front window to defog on rainy days, even in the summer. The CD player won't play CDs anymore; nor does the light on it work. You have to push the corner of the LCD screen to change any radio station, otherwise the buttons won't work. I've put about $2500 worth of work into it; (not the A/C however) and now the dash light goes out if it's early in the morning, the muffler is going bad, and the check engine light is always on (until I take it in to get the oil changed, then the light always goes off the day before). While the seats do fold down, you can't fit a ton of stuff in the trunk. I do like that there are cup holders in the back seat though. I would only recommend this to someone whose teenager is going away to a small college town and won't be driving it home every weekend. I wish it was more reliable and didn't need quite so many little repairs."

Great buy!

By on Monday, June 24, 2013

Pros: "Price was great, roomy, and good on long trips"

Cons: "front end too low for curbs and gets stuck!"

"This car had some problems with the front and rear window gears for raising and lowering the windows because it was the first year for using plastic teeth for the gears--not a smart design choice. When I bought it from Brown's Nissan in VA it came with dry rotted tires--I bought it new! This was not a manufacturing fault! It has been sitting, town and traffic driving and long distance driving. It always starts up and responds well. It got its first replacement set of brakes at 10 yrs. old. It always gets 27-30 mpg and lately with an additive 30 regularly. Lots of pick up and go--passing great and on hills up and down wonderful. It is loaded with trunk items and dogs for long distances and still great mileage. I go at least the speed limit--70+ in WV! Love it and do not want to sell it but my kid needs it. Would buy another if I knew they were made as well and were a hybrid!!!!"

72,000 city miles. 24 mpg and no repairs

By on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pros: "Good gas mileage and low maintenance cost."

Cons: "Dashboard reflection in windshield. Needs cover."

"Bought new to drive around city. The only major expense was changing original tires at 14,000 miles because of their noise and poor handling characterstics. I service every 7,500 miles and still enjoy driving car around town. The body has parking lot dings but the leather interior is still like new."

72,000 city miles. 24 mpg and no repairs

By on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pros: "Good gas mileage and low maintenance cost."

Cons: "Dashboard reflection in windshield. Needs cover."

"Bought new to drive around city. The only major expense was changing original Goodyear tires at 14,000 miles because of their noise and poor handling characterstics. I service every 7,500 miles and still enjoy driving car around town. The body has parking lot dings but the leather interior is still like new."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25