2000 Nissan Altima

Based on 487 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

Very reliable, good gas mileage, good handling

By on Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, affordable, fun to drive!"

Cons: "Bad window regulators, manifold gasket."

"Have owned this car for 6 years. Purchased it with 80k, now has 160000k. I'm a retired auto mechanic so I do most of my own maintenance. Engine has plenty of pep and it handles very well for a 4 door sedan! Interior very roomy and comfortable. Doesn't use any oil yet, although I change mine every 3000 miles. I've yet to do anything to the brakes. A few negatives: Front bumper will scrape and rub on even the smallest curb! I must remember this when ever I park. Had to replace the drivers door window motor/regulator due to cheap plastic gears. Just replaced both front door speakers (I like playing Fleetwood Mac LOUD!) My biggest repair has been the engine intake manifold gasket. An internet search reveals this to be a common fault of the 2.4 liter 4 cyl engine. After pulling the manifold off the engine and checking it with a straight edge, I found it to have a 0.003 warp. Had it resurfaced at a machine shop and reassembled. Now runs fine. Possible design flaw from the factory? Otherwise, this has been a very reliable car. One of the best I've owned. Speaking as a mechanic, I would not hesitate to recommend this car to any of my friends."

God Almighty I'm going to miss this car.

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Pros: "Highly reliable, great engine perf and gas mileage"

"Bought at 160K miles in 2008 and it sputtered it's last today at 340K+ miles. Had to replace high mileage wear/tear engine parts over the last 2 years. When it died on the highway it was still getting 30+ mpg, great pick-up and engine performance and with a rebuilt A/C you could hang meat in the front seat. Great leg room in the front seats. Nissan made a great one with this model. If you find one in the 100K mile range, buy it before I do."

Great buy!

By on Monday, June 24, 2013

Pros: "Price was great, roomy, and good on long trips"

Cons: "front end too low for curbs and gets stuck!"

"This car had some problems with the front and rear window gears for raising and lowering the windows because it was the first year for using plastic teeth for the gears--not a smart design choice. When I bought it from Brown's Nissan in VA it came with dry rotted tires--I bought it new! This was not a manufacturing fault! It has been sitting, town and traffic driving and long distance driving. It always starts up and responds well. It got its first replacement set of brakes at 10 yrs. old. It always gets 27-30 mpg and lately with an additive 30 regularly. Lots of pick up and go--passing great and on hills up and down wonderful. It is loaded with trunk items and dogs for long distances and still great mileage. I go at least the speed limit--70+ in WV! Love it and do not want to sell it but my kid needs it. Would buy another if I knew they were made as well and were a hybrid!!!!"

Great reliable car runs like a top.

By on Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pros: "VERY RELIABLE HUGE VALUE"

Cons: "NOT MANY FRILLS BUT IT MAKES UP FOR IT."

"This car rode like a dream the engine ran great the gas mileage was awesome. All it asked of me was basic maintanence and it responded great to all repairs i made. it only asked me for 1 major repair in its life time a head gasket that's it! and it ran like new after the repair. Not many frills but i didn't need them i just wanted reliability and i got it in spades. The only thing that could kill this car was Hurricane Sandy, a flood, and i bet if i tried i could've started it. i leased a ford focus out of desperation all i can say is that i miss my altima. ford focus is dismal compared to the altima and it's a 2013. I'll never get anything but a japanese car for as long as i live. R.I.P. MY 2001 ALTIMA I LOVED YOU!"

Mechanically sound, very good car

By on Monday, June 15, 2009

"Never in the 5 years have I had trouble with my engine. I bought it with 71,000 miles now have 170,000 miles. Only needed to change belts and battery, just the normal stuff of maintaining a vehicle. Excellent car."