1998 Nissan Altima

Based on 474 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

Still good for a lot of miles

By on Friday, March 07, 2014

Pros: "Great dependability and descent MPG"

Cons: "Roof and hood could use a new paint job."

"Could use new paint job, especially the roof. Front power windows won't work and haven't for a long time. Engine is in excellent shape and tires are almost brand new. A/C and heater are also in excellent condition. I would expect to get another 100,000 miles out of it if I were to keep it myself. No major dents, just the usual dings and scrapes seen on most cars. Still a very dependable car. Semi-retired and no longer in need of two vehicles, so am wanting to sell the older of my two cars."

would buy another one

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "comfortable and practical"

"I have owned this car for almost 11 years. Bought it used when it was 2 years old. At the time it was the "fanciest" car I ever owned, with the moonroof and multiple cd changer. I have loved this vehicle. Extremely reliable, comfortable, very good on gas. It was certainly worth every penny I paid for it and then some."

Great value for money

By on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, gas saver, great overall value for $."

Cons: "Interior and exterior design could be better."

My altima GLE (the work horse)

"This is a straight forward kinda car, how you treat it is how it'll treat you in return. I've had mine for seven years now and it has NEVER! NOT ONCE left me stranded. Super reliable, Super solid, it's looks won't get you noticed but with its lack of problems you won't care. Look at it like this... Less money spent fixing it leaves more money in YOUR pocket for other things. Two thumbs way up for this little car."

My altima GLE (the work horse)

super car

By on Friday, February 14, 2014

Pros: "reliabable and great great gas mileage"

"gas mileage is awesome. reliability also awesome. Bought my car in 99. Changed oil and brake pads regularly. Never had any problems with my car until this last year. but it is old. Time for a new ride. A good faithful sedan"

I have owned over 40 autos,this has been the best

By on Thursday, February 06, 2014

Pros: "good gas mileage,great drive for a tall driver"

Cons: "no cup holders, needs a little more horse power."

"Over all a great car,I have had this car for almost 15 years now,All repairs have been minor up to date."

best car I've ever owned

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pros: "top notch reliability and good fuel efficiency"

Cons: "not the best looking car"

"Bought used in 2006 with a about 50,000 miles & now has almost 160,000. Had to replace brakes about 3 times but that may be due to my husband's inefficient driving style. Just bought 2nd battery (Jan 2014) and only other major repair I just had done was alternator replaced & had a leak in radiator hose. Black leather interior has held up near perfectly. I'm keeping it as long as I can & it's worth far more than the $1,200 or so trade in value to me."

Reliable car

By on Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Reason: Wrecked

Pros: "Great value, easy maintainence, Reliable"

Cons: "Small engine"

"I really loved this car until the snow wrecked the car few days ago. I owned it last year with 195000 miles on it with hesitation but it has been a very good commuting car over the months. Got some pricey repairs on the brakes but mainly because of my faults. The car might not work on snow too well, at least for an inexperienced driver like me, I was driving on a poorly plowed road and it skidded like crazy.."

faithful companion

By on Saturday, December 28, 2013

"Buy my Nissan in 2000 and so far we have traveled thousands of miles between Georgia and Florida as a truck loaded. I loaded 4 people, a dog, two large televisions, tables, chairs, mattresses, not once, but several times, and not to complain, oil change, alignment, and nothing more!, fantastic car and is a strong truck, Nissan forever!"

Love my Nissan!

By on Sunday, December 22, 2013

"I bought my Nissan as a 1st car about 6 moths ago, and I couldn't be happier. Being 6 foot 3, I was a little worried about leg room, but my car is very spacious. Living in Utah, we get fairly bad weather, and my Altima does great! She goes up icy hills with ease. The only things I dont like is the turning. (I'm really good at 3 point turns now.) and the fact that it has an automatic antenna. I think its pointless, my motor went out. But my car runs great, and I couldn't love it more."

Very reliable, good gas mileage, good handling

By on Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, affordable, fun to drive!"

Cons: "Bad window regulators, manifold gasket."

"Have owned this car for 6 years. Purchased it with 80k, now has 160000k. I'm a retired auto mechanic so I do most of my own maintenance. Engine has plenty of pep and it handles very well for a 4 door sedan! Interior very roomy and comfortable. Doesn't use any oil yet, although I change mine every 3000 miles. I've yet to do anything to the brakes. A few negatives: Front bumper will scrape and rub on even the smallest curb! I must remember this when ever I park. Had to replace the drivers door window motor/regulator due to cheap plastic gears. Just replaced both front door speakers (I like playing Fleetwood Mac LOUD!) My biggest repair has been the engine intake manifold gasket. An internet search reveals this to be a common fault of the 2.4 liter 4 cyl engine. After pulling the manifold off the engine and checking it with a straight edge, I found it to have a 0.003 warp. Had it resurfaced at a machine shop and reassembled. Now runs fine. Possible design flaw from the factory? Otherwise, this has been a very reliable car. One of the best I've owned. Speaking as a mechanic, I would not hesitate to recommend this car to any of my friends."